PDA

View Full Version : How to reveal an evil assassin

jangartharn1
2016-01-11, 08:55 AM
Hey guys ok so here's the problem. I've been in a Campaign for a while now and something that is going to end poorly for the party is about to happen if I don't do something. So here's the jist of it we have a paladin npc who really is an evil assassin spell thief who somehow has everybody in my party but my character convinced he's a paladin of the kings order of the realm. The problem is he's leading the party to an ambush where we will for sure be overwhelmed and killed by a massive gang of assassins and thugs so I need a way to reveal he's an evil assassin and fast. Any ideas? Also my character is a fighter 6th level and my party is a mix of barbarians rouges and a bard in there somewhere as well if that info helps.

Geddy2112
2016-01-11, 10:25 AM
In some ways, there are really no solutions to this problem without metagaming, and I applaud your table for going along with it despite knowing as players they are walking into a trap.

Also, your group has no magic-a quick detect alignment would solve this problem, or a good spellcraft check to see that this paladin is actually using spells not lay on hands and stuff.

As to solve it in character-why does the party trust this so called paladin? You want to undo this trust at the source-obviously if this NPC has saved the party from death or something, it will be much harder, but attack the cause. It is wise for PC's to be wary of NPC's asking for help, even if they seem legit on the surface.

If things go really south, attack the "paladin" before you get into an ambush. It might be rash, but better take them out or force their hand on your terms than theirs. The party will probably side with you.

khadgar567
2016-01-11, 10:29 AM
Hey guys ok so here's the problem. I've been in a Campaign for a while now and something that is going to end poorly for the party is about to happen if I don't do something. So here's the jist of it we have a paladin npc who really is an evil assassin spell thief who somehow has everybody in my party but my character convinced he's a paladin of the kings order of the realm. The problem is he's leading the party to an ambush where we will for sure be overwhelmed and killed by a massive gang of assassins and thugs so I need a way to reveal he's an evil assassin and fast. Any ideas? Also my character is a fighter 6th level and my party is a mix of barbarians rouges and a bard in there somewhere as well if that info helps.

to efficiently help you
first your class
second your parties class
third magic level

Hamste
2016-01-11, 10:42 AM
Do you have access to a place where you can buy potions, scrolls or wands? Get one of those for arcane sight if you can and give it to another party member to check the paladin pointing out they have nothing to lose from doing so. Unless he has divine spell casting that will be difficult to explain why he is an arcane caster). Alignment detection may work as well if you can buy a potion but that is easier to get around (go for detect good not detect evil if you do so as an absence of a good alignment is slightly harder to get around).

ATHATH
2016-01-11, 10:45 AM
Pressure him about the details of his order, then ask actual members of the order if what he says is true and if he js a member.

LTwerewolf
2016-01-11, 10:54 AM
Pressure him about the details of his order, then ask actual members of the order if what he says is true and if he js a member.

This would be a very peculiar line of questioning if they have no reason to believe that he's not genuine.

ATHATH
2016-01-11, 10:56 AM
But he said that his character saw through the ruse, and presumably knows the Spellthief's real class.

Flickerdart
2016-01-11, 10:59 AM
This would be a very peculiar line of questioning if they have no reason to believe that he's not genuine.

The OP said that his character does suspect this guy, it's just that the rest of the party doesn't. So really, all he needs to do is convince them that the paladin is evil. Exposing him is one way but not the only way; sadly a fighter can't do much in the way of bluffing or planting evidence.

khadgar567
2016-01-11, 11:05 AM
so mate only thing you can do is either find a good grave or get teleport wand with some decent charge so you can gtfo when inevitably things go south and dm says your the initiative

LTwerewolf
2016-01-11, 11:16 AM
Depending on how long you've been with the party, you can go with the "guys just trust me" thing.