PDA

View Full Version : Unreasonably good rolls: Chance to go against type? How's this for a Tiefling Paladin

Aasimar
2016-01-11, 10:49 AM
I rolled 17, 17, 14, 13, 10, 10, so I decided to make a Tiefling Paladin.

Does she seem like she'd be good in a party?

Jessa Sunstone
“A compass that always points South is just as good.”

Female Tiefling Paladin 1
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Faction Agent (Order of the Gauntlet)
Deity: Torm
Height: 5’4”
Weight: 230 lbs
Hair: Reddish Blonde
Skin: Pale White
Eyes: Red
Features: Forked Tongue, Sharp Teeth, Unnatural Musculature

Abilities:
Strength 17 (+3)
Dexterity 10 (+0)
Constitution 17 (+3)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 16 (+3)

HP: 13

Class Features:
Divine Sense (4/day)
Lay on Hands (5 hp)
Proficiency Bonus +2
Proficiencies:
- Skills: Athletics, Insight, Religion, Investigate
- Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
- All Armors, Shields
- Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons

Tiefling Racial:
- Darkvision 60’
- Hellish Resistance: Resistance to Fire Damage
- Infernal (Hellfire) Legacy: Thaumaturgy cantrip, level 3: 1/day Burning hands at level 2, level 5: 1/day Darkness
Languages:
- Common, Dwarven, Infernal, Undercommon
Background Feature:
- Deep Delver (from Out of the Abyss Campaign setting)

Jessa seems human at first glance. Though her skin is a pale white and her eyes a deep red (though they might pass as brown in daylight). Most people would assume she's an albino, were it not for her slightly washed out reddish-blonde hair (and in fact, most people still do.

Harder to explain are her teeth, which are pointed and sharp, and her forked tongue.

Harder still is her physical shape, as even though her frame is short and almost lithe, it is extremely overpacked with muscle, seeming to almost be bursting through the skin in places. Most humans would know that this can only happen with extreme exercise, and hardly ever for women even then.

Other species may believe that she falls within the margin of error for humans though.

She grew up on the streets of Neverwinter, never knowing either of her parents. Already at age 7 was was terrorizing other street urchins.

Had she not been picked up by a wandering priest of Torm and taken to an orphanage in the nearby mountains, in the Sunstone Monastery, she would have undoubtedly met a bad end.

There, she grabbed on to the teachings of Torm, of sacrifice and heroism. She made the conscious choice to be a good person, despite her natural inclinations.

Her motto is that a compass that always points south is no less useful than a normal one. She merely has to do the opposite of what her instincts and desires say at all times.

Having been trained in theology and combat, she found herself drawn to more active service, as part of the Order of the Gauntlet, which the Church of Torm is allied with.

Only recently working by herself, she tracked an unknown evildoer down a series of caves that only went on and on. Unwilling to give up, she was eventually hopelessly lost in the pathways to the Underdark.

Then one day, she was apprehended by a drow slave party.

Oramac
2016-01-11, 11:27 AM
I like it! I might put one of the 17's in Cha instead of Con, but I'd be playing Oath of Vengeance. If you're planning to go Devotion/Ancients, Con is probably the better choice.

Other than that, I think it looks fantastic! I've always wanted to play a Tiefling Paladin, and I really like that motto you chose. Would you mind if I shamelessly "borrowed" it when/if I get a chance to play my own Tiefling Paladin?

gfishfunk
2016-01-11, 11:43 AM
I like it! I might put one of the 17's in Cha instead of Con, but I'd be playing Oath of Vengeance. If you're planning to go Devotion/Ancients, Con is probably the better choice.

Other than that, I think it looks fantastic! I've always wanted to play a Tiefling Paladin, and I really like that motto you chose. Would you mind if I shamelessly "borrowed" it when/if I get a chance to play my own Tiefling Paladin?

I can see swapping the Constitution and Charisma, or keeping as is.

How do you envision the character engaging her foes?

If she is going to get nitty-gritty, hitting hard and close, taking the damage, and protecting her allies, keep Con higher.

If you envision the character calling on and relying on holy powers foremost, you want a better Charisma.

Aasimar
2016-01-11, 11:49 AM
Thanks.

I see her being more gritty. Sticking close, taking damage, etc.

I definitely see her more as a gritty combatant who happens to a be a paladin than a holy warrior who happens to know how to fight. (which is why I used the stat layout I have)

I'm thinking devotion rather than vengeance...but I'm open to suggestion.

There is also long term strategy at play, I'll take resilient (con) at level 8, raising it by 1, so I'll want it to be an odd number.

I'll take heavy armor mastery at level 4 probably, raising Strength by 1 (so I also want it to be an odd number)

Finally, I'll need her hitpoints to hold the line since I see her using a greatsword rather than a shield...or wait, is it possible that a longsword + shield with the dueling fighting style is just straight up better than a greatsword and the two handed weapon style?

Aasimar
2016-01-11, 11:51 AM

Not at all, go right ahead.

gfishfunk
2016-01-11, 11:54 AM
Finally, I'll need her hitpoints to hold the line since I see her using a greatsword rather than a shield...or wait, is it possible that a longsword + shield with the dueling fighting style is just straight up better than a greatsword and the two handed weapon style?

Depends: GWF allows you to re-roll damage dice that are low, which under RAW includes Smite damage. Double check with your DM, just to make sure that she is good with that, as she might not allow it.

I personally tend to dueling style because I prefer livability, which the shield adds, while also doing decent damage.

Oramac
2016-01-11, 11:59 AM
There is also long term strategy at play, I'll take resilient (con) at level 8, raising it by 1, so I'll want it to be an odd number.

I'll take heavy armor mastery at level 4 probably, raising Strength by 1 (so I also want it to be an odd number)

Sounds to me like you're looking to be more of a tank, in which case I'd go with the sword/shield. Having the extra +2 AC from the shield is nothing to sneeze at, and you can take Defense for another +1 AC or Dueling for a little extra damage, both of which are good options.

Sounds fun!

Aasimar
2016-01-11, 12:03 PM
I was kinda planning to take the great weapon master feat at some point. But when you're talking about something that won't happen till level 12, then it's probably not a part of your core concept.

I'll probably take the shield and Dueling after all...frees up either feats for later or full on stat boost for str, con or cha.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-11, 12:13 PM
I rolled 17, 17, 14, 13, 10, 10, so I decided to make a Tiefling Paladin.

Does she seem like she'd be good in a party?

Jessa Sunstone
“A compass that always points South is just as good.”

Female Tiefling Paladin 1
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Faction Agent (Order of the Gauntlet)
Deity: Torm
Height: 5’4”
Weight: 230 lbs
Hair: Reddish Blonde
Skin: Pale White
Eyes: Red
Features: Forked Tongue, Sharp Teeth, Unnatural Musculature

Abilities:
Strength 17 (+3)
Dexterity 10 (+0)
Constitution 17 (+3)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 16 (+3)

HP: 13

Class Features:
Divine Sense (4/day)
Lay on Hands (5 hp)
Proficiency Bonus +2
Proficiencies:
- Skills: Athletics, Insight, Religion, Investigate
- Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
- All Armors, Shields
- Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons

Tiefling Racial:
- Darkvision 60’
- Hellish Resistance: Resistance to Fire Damage
- Infernal (Hellfire) Legacy: Thaumaturgy cantrip, level 3: 1/day Burning hands at level 2, level 5: 1/day Darkness
Languages:
- Common, Dwarven, Infernal, Undercommon
Background Feature:
- Deep Delver (from Out of the Abyss Campaign setting)

Jessa seems human at first glance. Though her skin is a pale white and her eyes a deep red (though they might pass as brown in daylight). Most people would assume she's an albino, were it not for her slightly washed out reddish-blonde hair (and in fact, most people still do.

Harder to explain are her teeth, which are pointed and sharp, and her forked tongue.

Harder still is her physical shape, as even though her frame is short and almost lithe, it is extremely overpacked with muscle, seeming to almost be bursting through the skin in places. Most humans would know that this can only happen with extreme exercise, and hardly ever for women even then.

Other species may believe that she falls within the margin of error for humans though.

She grew up on the streets of Neverwinter, never knowing either of her parents. Already at age 7 was was terrorizing other street urchins.

Had she not been picked up by a wandering priest of Torm and taken to an orphanage in the nearby mountains, in the Sunstone Monastery, she would have undoubtedly met a bad end.

There, she grabbed on to the teachings of Torm, of sacrifice and heroism. She made the conscious choice to be a good person, despite her natural inclinations.

Her motto is that a compass that always points south is no less useful than a normal one. She merely has to do the opposite of what her instincts and desires say at all times.

Having been trained in theology and combat, she found herself drawn to more active service, as part of the Order of the Gauntlet, which the Church of Torm is allied with.

Only recently working by herself, she tracked an unknown evildoer down a series of caves that only went on and on. Unwilling to give up, she was eventually hopelessly lost in the pathways to the Underdark.

Then one day, she was apprehended by a drow slave party.

Back in the day of 3e there was an official succubus Paladin of... Someone.

If you want some ideas on fluff or role-playing that could help. I'll try to find info about her but I'm not the best with Google haha.

Aasimar
2016-01-11, 12:20 PM
Back in the day of 3e there was an official succubus Paladin of... Someone.

If you want some ideas on fluff or role-playing that could help. I'll try to find info about her but I'm not the best with Google haha.

I read that actually, I've always liked that concept.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-11, 03:08 PM
I don't why this can't work in a party. On the other hand, it aren't unreasonably good rules., but that's just my opinion (like total modifier +13 (before racial). So yeah, just go for it if you want so

Dimolyth
2016-01-11, 05:44 PM
Just stay attentive at 4th level ASI. Heavy Armor Master is... not that useful at higher levels (after 6-7 levels). Personnaly, I would rather spend my first 2 ASI for +1/+1 to STR and CON and Sentinel for tanking. (I like style more than pure math bonuses, so I`d took Sentinel 1st, than Str & Con increase, but you can inverse those).

Proficiency in Con saves is not extremly nessessary for Paladin, who has 18 Con and 16 Cha stats (total +7 to the save at 6th level).

Aasimar
2016-01-12, 04:25 AM
Good point, I had actually thought paladins didn't get charisma to saves in this system, I missed Aura of Protection.

I'll have to reconsider somewhat.

Thanks

ImSAMazing
2016-01-12, 10:59 AM
I don't why this can't work in a party. On the other hand, it aren't unreasonably good rules., but that's just my opinion (like total modifier +13 (before racial). So yeah, just go for it if you want so
I believe you meant rolls?