PDA

View Full Version : TV Date A Live

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 11:59 AM
Thread for discussing anime here. Setting up and bringing you all here before I head to work.

What did you guys think about the show?

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 12:06 PM
Thread for discussing anime here. Setting up and bringing you all here before I head to work.

What did you guys think about the show?
I'm only on episode seven!

So far it feels fairly generic, but I don't mind the characters. At least the anime is amusing!

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 12:22 PM
I'm only on episode seven! How can you only be episode seven you already spend all weekend not on my thread. :x

So far it feels fairly generic, but I don't mind the characters. At least the anime is amusing!

What about the whole "seal their powerz" thing? Seems pretty needless to me. Especially considering that it means some characters do a lot less, and for not reason at times. Like, why do they even need to kiss? It makes no sense at all.

Another weird thing is that Tohka has no name, but other spirits do.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 12:28 PM
How can you only be episode seven you already spend all weekend not on my thread. :x
I have a lot to do on the weekends and my roommate is really really not conducive to me watching anime on the TV.

What about the whole "seal their powerz" thing? Seems pretty needless to me. Especially considering that it means some characters do a lot less, and for not reason at times. Like, why do they even need to kiss? It makes no sense at all.
It's not needed, but without it the whole plot of the anime would be pretty pointless.

Another weird thing is that Tohka has no name, but other spirits do.
I thought about this, but finally decided to chalk it up to "because reasons".

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 01:26 PM
I have a lot to do on the weekends and my roommate is really really not conducive to me watching anime on the TV. :P

It's not needed, but without it the whole plot of the anime would be pretty pointless.
So dumb
[/quote]
I thought about this, but finally decided to chalk it up to "because reasons".[/QUOTE]

I thought it'd be neat if they had like a backstory for their names or something.

There is a possible reason, but it's hardly touched on in the anime, and even then it's not until much later.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 01:45 PM
I thought it'd be neat if they had like a backstory for their names or something.

There is a possible reason, but it's hardly touched on in the anime, and even then it's not until much later.
My sister can probably confirm more of what I'm about to say, but bear with me and know this is more exasperation than it is bragging.

I have a hard time watching anime's like this one because it gives me really gnarly high school flashbacks. I can't help but feel for the main character a little.

I think I like Tohka the most so far, as she seems to be the most genuine. But you'd have to be crazy not to like Yoshino. Look at that!https://45.media.tumblr.com/3c2aa0866582c98689462da0f41710ee/tumblr_ng6zn5Tyt91rlergfo1_500.gif

Red Fel
2016-01-11, 01:53 PM
I keep hearing you guys talk about this thing, so I decide to look into it. Wikipedia tells me...

Date A Live (Japanese: デート・ア・ライブ Hepburn: Dēto A Raibu?) is a Japanese light novel series

... So, harem-slash-hentai. Probably.

The series begins with a strange phenomenon called a "spatial quake" devastating the center of Eurasia, killing at least 150 million people. For the next 30 years, smaller spatial quakes plague the world on an irregular basis.

Interesting. So, possibly post-apocalyptic adventure?

In the present, Shido Itsuka, a seemingly ordinary high schooler comes across a mysterious girl at the ground zero of a spatial quake and learns from his sister Kotori she is one of the "Spirits" who are the real cause of the spatial quakes that occur when they manifest themselves in the world.

... So, high school harem, then?

He also learns that Kotori is the commander of the airship Fraxinus, crewed by the organization Ratatoskr, and is recruited to make use of his mysterious ability to seal the Spirits' powers thus stopping them from being a threat to mankind.

"Seal the Spirits' powers" . . . So, that means that he -

However, there is a catch: to seal a Spirit's power, he must make her fall in love with him and make her kiss him.

Yup. So sci-fi/fantasy high school harem, then.

I remember this series when it was called, well, about a dozen other things. So, sell me, Snowbluff. Why do I care about this particular irritating iteration of the genre?

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 02:00 PM
I remember this series when it was called, well, about a dozen other things. So, sell me, Snowbluff. Why do I care about this particular irritating iteration of the genre?
The selling point of the anime is that Snowbluff wants people to talk about it with. That's basically it... it's a less over the top version of Sekirei (which is a terrible anime and I've scolded the younger version of myself many times for watching it).

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 02:01 PM
My sister can probably confirm more of what I'm about to say, but bear with me and know this is more exasperation than it is bragging.

I have a hard time watching anime's like this one because it gives me really gnarly high school flashbacks. I can't help but feel for the main character a little. Poor guy has no plot at this point in the story. It's awful.

I think I like Tohka the most so far, as she seems to be the most genuine. But you'd have to be crazy not to like Yoshino. Look at that!https://45.media.tumblr.com/3c2aa0866582c98689462da0f41710ee/tumblr_ng6zn5Tyt91rlergfo1_500.gif
Yeah, Tohka causes the least number of story hiccups.

Yoshino having a name is what bothered be. I was upset there wasn't a reason for it.

As for the sealing power things, there would be a story without. Simply put, a calmer spirit is less likely to destroy stuff. There are at least 2 spirits with complete control of their powers, even unsealed.

Kurumi.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 02:04 PM
They slap together about three genres for no reason, and everything is contrived to get the main character to kiss them. There are plot holes everywhere.

Needs more yoshino

Red Fel
2016-01-11, 02:07 PM
Kurumi.

You mean this?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/date-a-live/images/4/4d/Tumblr_n52uo64MFb1rltw58o4_500.gif

Yeah... About Nine Hells to the no.

Yandere is your thing, Snow, not mine.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 02:08 PM
You mean this?

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/date-a-live/images/4/4d/Tumblr_n52uo64MFb1rltw58o4_500.gif

Kurumi, from what I've seen (two episodes worth), is very amiable when she is getting what she wants. But when she doesn't, she basically becomes Yandere incarnate.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 02:11 PM
You mean this?

She's a legitimately good Byronic Hero. I don't think yandere describes her quite right, which I can't explain without ruining a good chunk of the plot.

They slap together about three genres for no reason, and everything is contrived to get the main character to kiss them. There are plot holes everywhere. My suggestio (will give full write up of the stroy later):
1) Remove twintail red hair imouto
2) Give her powers to main character guy. he's just a spirit who has been protected by the organiztion, and is now returning the favor
3) Remove kissing. Spirit powers now rely on the spirits being stable mentally
4) Put Tohka and main character in a relationship. Tohka's powers are maintained as long as she is happy.
5) Yoshino gets a backstory. Powers maintained as long as she feels secure.
6) Remove other imouto. Seriously, what the ****?
7) Put that blonde guy in command of the organization. Keep the bridge crew (seriously, I laughed my ass off at "was divorced 5 times" being a qualification)

Needs more yoshino

Since you've seen the whole thing, you know that they never explain why she has a name.

Red Fel
2016-01-11, 02:22 PM
Kurumi, from what I've seen (two episodes worth), is very amiable when she is getting what she wants. But when she doesn't, she basically becomes Yandere incarnate.

I mean, there's an alright way to do Yandere, and a "holy hell, what the crap" way to do it.

This is good:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/25/8e/ec/258eec78d30faa2df3a68bd0cd8df3bf.jpg

This is not good:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/date-a-live/images/6/69/Tumblr_mo2s3bpLDs1rlmnudo1_500.gif

I enjoyed Seven Deadly Sins. Diane's obsession was entertaining, a bit annoying at times, but manageable and subject to adequate character growth.

Kurumi does not strike me as entertaining, only a "bit" annoying, manageable, or subject to character growth. She strikes me as freaking whackadoodle.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 02:25 PM
Kurumi does not strike me as entertaining, only a "bit" annoying, manageable, or subject to character growth. She strikes me as freaking whackadoodle.

Again, you're making the assumption that's she's legitimately a yandere.

Red Fel
2016-01-11, 02:31 PM

I'm sorry, you're right. I haven't asked for her membership card. Does she carry credentials, then?

I just assumed, from the fact that (1) she's insane, (2) she's violent, (3) like every female in this genre, she lusts after the protagonist, and (4) unlike the other females, she's extremely forward about it, that she was a Yandere.

Could be she's just kind of freaky.

Still don't see why that's a selling point.

You gave me a one-word explanation for why I'd want to watch, Snow. Perhaps a few more words might help. Believe it or not, while I'm skeptical, I'm still receptive.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 02:33 PM
1) Remove twintail red hair imouto

she doesn't fit in the story at all, also is part of a huge plot hole, unless i missed something. I just explained her away as "it's japan." when you have to do that you know you are grasping at straws

Since you've seen the whole thing, you know that they never explain why she has a name.

there is an explanation, but it exists entirely outside the anime and is basically theory. Basically someone else gave her a name. just look at her, she is super approachable and not entirely scared as long as she has her puppet. Sometime someone else met her and gave her that name. her name is something along the lines of "4 threads." Her name seems ordinary unless you look at the kanji which is messed up. either that or she and the puppet named each other... suddenly i am thinking the last one. especially with the weird kanji.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry, you're right. I haven't asked for her membership card. Does she carry credentials, then?

I just assumed, from the fact that (1) she's insane, (2) she's violent, (3) like every female in this genre, she lusts after the protagonist, and (4) unlike the other females, she's extremely forward about it, that she was a Yandere.

Could be she's just kind of freaky.

Still don't see why that's a selling point. All four of those are questionable. It's why the character works. Develops? Hard to tell, due to her wildcard nature. Unfolds? Sure as hell does. I can't really talk until you've seen all three of her appearances without spoiling it further. Creepy Awesome (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreepyAwesome) is just a selling point.

You gave me a one-word explanation for why I'd want to watch, Snow. Perhaps a few more words might help. Believe it or not, while I'm skeptical, I'm still receptive.
Oh, you shouldn't want to watch it legitimately. if I had to give a reason it's that I have a reason to talk to you about it. :smalltongue:

she doesn't fit in the story at all, also is part of a huge plot hole, unless i missed something. I just explained her away as "it's japan." when you have to do that you know you are grasping at straws

This same damn character keeps showing up in anime, too. I think Aria of the Scarlet Bullet (awful) had it too.

there is an explanation, but it exists entirely outside the anime and is basically theory. Basically someone else gave her a name. just look at her, she is super approachable and not entirely scared as long as she has her puppet. Sometime someone else met her and gave her that name. her name is something along the lines of "4 threads." Her name seems ordinary unless you look at the kanji which is messed up. either that or she and the puppet named each other... suddenly i am thinking the last one. especially with the weird kanji.

Well, the obvious answer is that she was a human first, like the Diva was. It's the simplest explanation.
And if she was met by someone, couldn't that have been helpful for some story.

Red Fel
2016-01-11, 02:47 PM
All four of those are questionable. It's why the character works. Develops? Hard to tell, due to her wildcard nature. Unfolds? Sure as hell does. I can't really talk until you've seen all three of her appearances without spoiling it further. Creepy Awesome (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CreepyAwesome) is just a selling point.

For some.

Oh, you shouldn't want to watch it legitimately. if I had to give a reason it's that I have a reason to talk to you about it. :smalltongue:

... Yeah... As entertaining as it is to have anime conversations with you guys, I'm not going to budget my sparse watching-time for that sole purpose. I'd rather watch a series that we can discuss and I can enjoy. (Seven Deadly Sins, anybody?) I appreciate your candor, but as far as this series goes...

https://media.giphy.com/media/581WuZiyoxt5u/giphy.gif

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 02:57 PM
Well, the obvious answer is that she was a human first, like the Diva was. It's the simplest explanation.
And if she was met by someone, couldn't that have been helpful for some story.

Yes it would be good for story. and the puppet and her naming each other would make for huge moe points with fans. In the end it is just another huge plot hole.
being formerly human does not explain why her name is spelled 四糸乃. that 四糸 part is just plain weird as hell. unless having unique spellings for kids names is a fad right now over there.

edit: also who broke google. it is doing some really stupid stuff for me and i am not talking about the search results.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 03:09 PM
Yes it would be good for story. and the puppet and her naming each other would make for huge moe points with fans. In the end it is just another huge plot hole. Gaping. Would be cute, though.

being formerly human does not explain why her name is spelled 四糸乃. that 四糸 part is just plain weird as hell. unless having unique spellings for kids names is a fad right now over there.
If I were to wank all over this, she seems less mature that her fellow spirits. Maybe she was younger, was bad at spell, and didn't learn how to fix it because her powers separated her?

edit: also who broke google. it is doing some really stupid stuff for me and i am not talking about the search results.

Ha!

VirusInk
2016-01-11, 03:14 PM
... Yeah... As entertaining as it is to have anime conversations with you guys, I'm not going to budget my sparse watching-time for that sole purpose. I'd rather watch a series that we can discuss and I can enjoy. (Seven Deadly Sins, anybody?) I appreciate your candor, but as far as this series goes...

I still have to start Date A Live since I've had a really busy weekend, so I've yet to form an opinion. But I plan to give it a shot!
However... I'd totally be up for a Seven Deadly Sins discussion. That's an anime I'm well versed in.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 03:16 PM
I still have to start Date A Live since I've had a really busy weekend, so I've yet to form an opinion. But I plan to give it a shot!
However... I'd totally be up for a Seven Deadly Sins discussion. That's an anime I'm well versed in.

I've been busy with work and people. Didn't have time to get past episode 3 yet.

If it's good, it's not going to be as interested in talking about it. I can already do good. Not doing bad is what I'm interested in. Not to mention that the prevalent problems with Date A Live do have a lot to do with the industry's state.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 03:18 PM
I mean, there's an alright way to do Yandere, and a "holy hell, what the crap" way to do it.
I could definitely agree with that.

I'm not sure exactly how to pin her.

Pffffpt I just snorted my pho. That was a really accurate description of what I've seen.

(Seven Deadly Sins, anybody?) I appreciate your candor, but as far as this series goes...

I love SDS. I'll still finish this one, though. It's mildly amusing at least. Also, Yoshino. I'm starting to think my ex-girlfriend was a yandere...

unseenmage
2016-01-11, 03:31 PM
Huh. Guess I should weigh in as best I can.

Gotta say I didn't like this one. Didn't completely loathe it though. It's biggest flaw is how vacuous it is. Empty of character or drama.
It tries to fake both but falls short.

Plot holes? Yup.
The laziness that is quantity over quality insofar as female leads is concerned? Yup.
An inoffensive unobtrusive male lead with no defining character flaws whatsoever? Yup.

So basically it's a harem anine whose plot and universe are drawn with crayon.
(Which is no comment on the art. The art wad okay. Adequate at least.)

Don't get me wrong I can enjoy a good harem anime. When the characters interact in a fashion that piques my interest it can be okay.
This one though. Started and ended without ever making me think. Without ever even giving me the feeling that the creators did their best.

Clannad, Chobits, even Sekirei (thanks for reminding me of the nudity-superpunches LP, ugh) have more involved developed characters and had more polish, a more varnished feel than this show.

I am glad Snow got some nice reaction images from it though.

Of course the usual disclaimer applies. The above us all opinion and I apologise if it offends.

TLDR: Would not watch again. But don't need it bleached from memory either.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 03:34 PM
state of the industry for the last decade at least: each team must produce an anime for all 4 anime seasons. it should be filled with fan service (such as sex appeal, popular character expy's, and moe) or sponsored (nothing wrong with it if it is handled right, code geass was sponsored by pizza hut.) If it does well the alright, if it does great then it can have another season, if it does poorly it can be made up for a bit by selling the distribution rights to funimation and with merchandise sails. Animation companies that make it big have a couple of trick they pull depending on how big they are. One is make one anime that is all fan service as a safe anime and the next one is one they want to make. The other one is riding the wave of their popularity and success to make anime they want to make, but only until the money runs out. gainax was that second one for a while, the team slowly fell apart and you could see the industry standard tropes come in again.

VirusInk
2016-01-11, 03:37 PM

Don't get me wrong I can enjoy a good harem anime. When the characters interact in a fashion that piques my interest it can be okay.
This one though. Started and ended without ever making me think. Without ever even giving me the feeling that the creators did their best.

Uh oh... harem animes aren't my thing unless they have a really good redeeming quality. But if you don't need to bleach your eyes from it then maybe it's still worth a shot?

I love SDS. I'll still finish this one, though. It's mildly amusing at least. Also, Yoshino. I'm starting to think my ex-girlfriend was a yandere...
Seriously. I'm surprised you came out of that one alive and in one piece.

I've been busy with work and people. Didn't have time to get past episode 3 yet.

If it's good, it's not going to be as interested in talking about it. I can already do good. Not doing bad is what I'm interested in. Not to mention that the prevalent problems with Date A Live do have a lot to do with the industry's state.
So... it's fun to talk about because its not all that great. In that case we could make lists and lists of anime like that to discuss!

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 03:39 PM
Uh oh... harem animes aren't my thing unless they have a really good redeeming quality. But if you don't need to bleach your eyes from it then maybe it's still worth a shot? Kurumi.

So... it's fun to talk about because its not all that great. In that case we could make lists and lists of anime like that to discuss!
We'll stick to one at a time, I think. Unless we can keep everyone else away somehow. :l

Pffffpt I just snorted my pho. That was a really accurate description of what I've seen. Are we even watching the same anime? How far are you?

Pfft.

Huh. Guess I should weigh in as best I can.

Gotta say I didn't like this one. Didn't completely loathe it though. It's biggest flaw is how vacuous it is. Empty of character or drama.
It tries to fake both but falls short.

Plot holes? Yup.
The laziness that is quantity over quality insofar as female leads is concerned? Yup.
An inoffensive unobtrusive male lead with no defining character flaws whatsoever? Yup.

I agree. I'm not a fan of harem, but they occasionally get some world building right. The harem actively gets in the way in what would otherwise be an interesting (albeit clumsy) anime.

Clannad is good. A more straight example of a modern haremish anime that I enjoy would be Korezom.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 03:41 PM
Are we even watching the same anime? How far are you?

hush snowie, he doesn't know what he is talking about, he said episode 7.

which oddly enough was where i got to before considering adding alcohol to the mix of date a live and video game genocide.

Red Fel
2016-01-11, 03:43 PM
state of the industry for the last decade at least: each team must produce an anime for all 4 anime seasons.

I hope so. How else do I get my fix?

it should be filled with fan service (such as sex appeal, popular character expy's, and moe)

Obviously. How will you have fans if you do not serve them?

If it does well the alright, if it does great then it can have another season,

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease

if it does poorly it can be made up for a bit by selling the distribution rights to funimation

At least they don't sell it to that other company.

Animation companies that make it big have a couple of trick they pull depending on how big they are. One is make one anime that is all fan service as a safe anime and the next one is one they want to make.

So, basically, like the "artist" movie makers.

The other one is riding the wave of their popularity and success to make anime they want to make, but only until the money runs out.

So, basically, like all of the other movie makers.

Uh oh... harem animes aren't my thing unless they have a really good redeeming quality. But if you don't need to bleach your eyes from it then maybe it's still worth a shot?

"Not terrible" doesn't equate to must-watch television in my bleach-free eyes.

LP wants to be King of the Pirates?

*cough*NARUTO*cough*

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 03:45 PM
Ugh, I so want to discuss this but it's two seasons' and 1 ova's worth of spoilers. :smallfrown:

which oddly enough was where i got to before considering adding alcohol to the mix of date a live and video game genocide.

Well, that helps with some stuff.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 03:48 PM
(thanks for reminding me of the nudity-superpunches LP, ugh)
You're so welcome.

Me too, sis. Me too.

Does that make the one before her a hime-dere?

Pfft.
I don't think you understand. She was crazy.

I agree. I'm not a fan of harem, but they occasionally get some world building right. The harem actively gets in the way in what would otherwise be an interesting (albeit clumsy) anime.
Harem anime was the anime I liked when I was a wee Tormlet. (Before that actually.) They need to have a strong protagonist that means well for me to like it. Sort of like that monster one (that I made it all of six episodes into), not like Highschool DxD.

Are we even watching the same anime? How far are you?

Forgive me, for I know not what I've done?

Can we do this? GitP Regulars watch anime a drink copious amounts of alcohol?

I've never watched a single episode of One Piece.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 03:51 PM
So, basically, like all of the other movie makers.

basically yes, only you have to produce blockbusters to even stay afloat cause of the massive competition.

VirusInk
2016-01-11, 03:55 PM
Kurumi.

We'll stick to one at a time, I think. Unless we can keep everyone else away somehow. :l
I see you've got quite the attachment there.
I'll admit I've enjoyed the gifs of her but I still know nothing about her.

And good point.

"Not terrible" doesn't equate to must-watch television in my bleach-free eyes.

Yeah, I get very little anime time nowadays so I tend to spend it watching series I'm hooked on like 7DS. The only times I watch cringe worthy or "not terrible" anime for the most part is when LP and I spend a lazy day scrolling through random anime lists and regretting half the things we've clicked.

That being said, I enjoy an anime series ten times more if I have other friends and people who have watched it to talk about it with.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 03:58 PM
That being said, I enjoy an anime series ten times more if I have other friends and people who have watched it to talk about it with.
Three words: Bodacious Space Pirates.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 03:59 PM
I don't think you understand. She was crazy.
Am I crazy, too?

Harem anime was the anime I liked when I was a wee Tormlet. (Before that actually.) They need to have a strong protagonist that means well for me to like it. Sort of like that monster one (that I made it all of six episodes into), not like Highschool DxD.
Is Phoe still a tormlet? is that why he likes it?

Forgive me, for I know not what I've done?
:l

Can we do this? GitP Regulars watch anime a drink copious amounts of alcohol?
Maybe. I've been known to take a nightcap.

basically yes, only you have to produce blockbusters to even stay afloat cause of the massive competition.

state of the industry for the last decade at least: each team must produce an anime for all 4 anime seasons. it should be filled with fan service (such as sex appeal, popular character expy's, and moe) or sponsored (nothing wrong with it if it is handled right, code geass was sponsored by pizza hut.) If it does well the alright, if it does great then it can have another season, if it does poorly it can be made up for a bit by selling the distribution rights to funimation and with merchandise sails. Animation companies that make it big have a couple of trick they pull depending on how big they are. One is make one anime that is all fan service as a safe anime and the next one is one they want to make. The other one is riding the wave of their popularity and success to make anime they want to make, but only until the money runs out. gainax was that second one for a while, the team slowly fell apart and you could see the industry standard tropes come in again.

A movie, B movie?

I see you've got quite the attachment there.
I'll admit I've enjoyed the gifs of her but I still know nothing about her.

And good point. Seriously one of the few redeeming qualities, and therefore a huge missed opportunity.

Yeah, I get very little anime time nowadays so I tend to spend it watching series I'm hooked on like 7DS. The only times I watch cringe worthy or "not terrible" anime for the most part is when LP and I spend a lazy day scrolling through random anime lists and regretting half the things we've clicked.

I mostly got into date a live for the gifs and to stay not bored over break.

VirusInk
2016-01-11, 04:04 PM
Me too, sis. Me too.

Does that make the one before her a hime-dere?
Straight up. No doubt about it. You're just making your way through the list.

Three words: Bodacious Space Pirates.
*cries*
That's not even the worst one.

Seriously one of the few redeeming qualities, and therefore a huge missed opportunity.

I mostly got into date a live for the gifs and to stay not bored over break.
Is it one of those cases where it's like the one character is so good but they are just in the wrong anime?

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 04:06 PM
Am I crazy, too?
... Are you my girlfriend?

It's the chaos in him.

:l
I'm sorry!

Maybe. I've been known to take a nightcap.
I don't get drinky often. But when I do... oh dear.

Seriously one of the few redeeming qualities, and therefore a huge missed opportunity.
I don't mind yandere characters. But they have to be done right.

Straight up. No doubt about it. You're just making your way through the list.
Now I've just got to date your best friend. Then I can check of the dere-dere.
[Insert Snowbluff's "As long as there's love" gif here.]

*cries*
That's not even the worst one.
I know, sis. I know...

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 04:23 PM

i don't ever remember being a tormlet. the only tormlet i know of is socratov, and apparently extra anchovies became one at some point.

Also, heram anime do not need a strong protagonist, they need well developed characters for love interests.

VirusInk
2016-01-11, 04:27 PM
Called it.

Hahahahahahaha no.
Besides, I've got a different dere-dere I can set you up with. And she's got big eyebrows too. That's your thing, right?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/05/89/3d/05893dfa11d70f2cffc0ce7c498c1590.jpg

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 04:33 PM
Called it.
Where it all began. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18853000&postcount=26)

Hahahahahahaha no.
Besides, I've got a different dere-dere I can set you up with. And she's got big eyebrows too. That's your thing, right?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/05/89/3d/05893dfa11d70f2cffc0ce7c498c1590.jpg
https://57.media.tumblr.com/736d3bf4ade9454c9be39a49c7f973e5/tumblr_nl2svy74gN1u6gp52o1_500.gif

IZ42
2016-01-11, 05:11 PM
*raises hand*

While drunken anime browsing does sound like a treat, it would currently be illegal for myself. Underage funziez!

Soooooo, how about that SDS? I've only watched the first season (AKA, what's on Netflix currently), but it has to be one of my favorite series.

VirusInk
2016-01-11, 05:14 PM
*raises hand*

While drunken anime browsing does sound like a treat, it would currently be illegal for myself. Underage funziez!

Soooooo, how about that SDS? I've only watched the first season (AKA, what's on Netflix currently), but it has to be one of my favorite series.

Heyo, I know that pain!

Same, I kind of fell in love with it immediately. I'm so torn between favorite characters though.

IZ42
2016-01-11, 05:17 PM
Heyo, I know that pain!

Same, I kind of fell in love with it immediately. I'm so torn between favorite characters though.

Easy-peasy for me: Ban. Lazy, tall, does not particularly like people. It's like a mirror, except the mirror image can cook and is far more muscular. And can wear red leather without looking like a knobhead. After that it's probably Gowther, Meliodas, Diane, King, and then whoosiwhatsits MacGuffin girl. The villains are generally pretty decent. A character I want to see more of though is King Arthur, and also the last sin, who I assume is Pride. Escanor I think? I've seen images of him from the Manga, so that's hopeful.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 05:20 PM
*raises hand*

Darnit. I forgot IZ is the younger audience. So is my sister.

It was so incredibly good. The second season isn't out yet.

Escanor I think? I've seen images of him from the Manga, so that's hopeful.
Read the manga.

VirusInk
2016-01-11, 05:33 PM
Easy-peasy for me: Ban. Lazy, tall, does not particularly like people. It's like a mirror, except the mirror image can cook and is far more muscular. And can wear red leather without looking like a knobhead. After that it's probably Gowther, Meliodas, Diane, King, and then whoosiwhatsits MacGuffin girl. The villains are generally pretty decent. A character I want to see more of though is King Arthur, and also the last sin, who I assume is Pride. Escanor I think? I've seen images of him from the Manga, so that's hopeful.

I'm so torn between Ban and Meliodas. I love them both and just can't decide! D:

Mmhmm, I want to see more of them as well- but I haven't gotten very far into the manga yet. From what (very little, mind you) I have seen the anime seems pretty accurate. LP knows more about the manga than I do though.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 05:36 PM
[Insert Snowbluff's "As long as there's love" gif here.]
http://media.giphy.com/media/ujohHoazlPtjq/giphy.gif
Found it.

unseenmage
2016-01-11, 05:51 PM
So I know I'm risking smites and/or angry/disappointed gifs here but a) I'm non-alchoholic. Non-any-controlled-substance really. I just dad, play MtG, D&D/PF, eat entirely too much chocolate, and occasionally succumb to Mt Dew only to regret it for the next week of migraines.

And b) I (looooong pause) didn'treallylikeSevenDeadlySins;I'msosorrypleasedo n'tsmiteme.

More seriously, had a hard time getting over the number of elements that seemed nonsensical. Nonsensical trappings make for a nonsensical scene make for a take away that much of what I watched was nonsense. It was a fun romp one supposes and there were elements that were obviously set ups for future shenanigans but giant green pig and talking pig made exactly zero sense at every point. As did most of the characters superpowers, though I trust those get explained eventually.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 05:53 PM
It's okay unseenmage. I'm only a social drinker. No pressure.

I'll see SDS when I see it. Didn't grab me at first but we'll see...

Well, if you have to ask...

i don't ever remember being a tormlet. the only tormlet i know of is socratov, and apparently extra anchovies became one at some point.

Also, heram anime do not need a strong protagonist, they need well developed characters for love interests.
Oh.

I gues for the purposes of a harem anime, the main character guy isn't as important and is mostly self insert anyway. People will be more invested in the women due to the nature of the audience.

*raises hand*

Hey Iz, glad to know you're watching Date A Live. Wow, that is some valuable insight that is on topic.

Seriously, if you keep it up, I'll associate the show with being annoyed by people walking in on topic and be annoyed by the show in turn.

Found it.

ha, classic.

@Virus, yes Kurumi does seem to belong to a different anime.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 06:02 PM
I'm non-alchoholic. Non-any-controlled-substance really. I just dad, play MtG, D&D/PF, eat entirely too much chocolate, and occasionally succumb to Mt Dew only to regret it for the next week of migraines.
Pfft. That's fine. It's not for everyone. I don't partake of the alcohol all the time. Just socially. And occasionally when I am lonely.

And b) I (looooong pause) didn'treallylikeSevenDeadlySins;I'msosorrypleasedo n'tsmiteme.
Th-That's okay... l-like I said... It's not for everyone...
http://37.media.tumblr.com/54ccd99247e650a93b2aed1275895599/tumblr_n4ljsjs59Q1qk5qxgo1_500.gif

Well, if you have to ask...
Oh.

ha, classic.
I looked through so many threads... finally found it in GitP Regulars as Races.

IZ42
2016-01-11, 06:32 PM
Hey Iz, glad to know you're watching Date A Live. Wow, that is some valuable insight that is on topic.

Seriously, if you keep it up, I'll associate the show with being annoyed by people walking in on topic and be annoyed by the show in turn.

I don't watch it, actually. I really can't get into Harem animes unless they have something completely stupid going on (a la Nyarko-san whatever, which I need to find for muh HP Lovecraft anime harem fix), I just didn't want to be left out. I have a suggestion: It's the Instant Liver Failure Drinking game! Watch SAO2 and take a shot every time a named character does something stupid, or a villain is needlessly creepy.

Fun fact:

Found it.

That gif is from the Nyarko-san anime. That's Hastur.

EDIT: Hastur is also a guy. Alien. Thing. Please don't ask.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 06:44 PM
I gues for the purposes of a harem anime, the main character guy isn't as important and is mostly self insert anyway. People will be more invested in the women due to the nature of the audience.

I don't watch as much heram animes you seem to think. Most of my anime list is action oriented or other types of drama.

Though it seems to me that the love interests are more important. An ordinary heram anime will try to make either a relatable protagonist or some kind of failure (probably gives the idea that if a guy like that can get a girl like her). I find having a solid protagonist that the audience can still want to get a love interest can help but the love interests are more important for the enjoyability of the anime.

I don't watch it, actually. I really can't get into Harem animes unless they have something completely stupid going on (a la Nyarko-san whatever, which I need to find for muh HP Lovecraft anime harem fix), I just didn't want to be left out. I have a suggestion: It's the Instant Liver Failure Drinking game! Watch SAO2 and take a shot every time a named character does something stupid, or a villain is needlessly creepy.

Snowbluff, I think you aimed to high. Try something heatseeking.

unseenmage
2016-01-11, 07:17 PM
To me the less flimsy the reason for a given character to be on screen, then the less flimsy the scene, then the less flimsy the show becomes in that regard.
Unjustified screentime over and over and over for a cadre of characters who normally have nothing to do with each other gets exasperating. (See Negima and its, though colorful, glutted cast of characters. They seemingly never do find the balance between enough and too much screentime for purely leftover character ideas.)

Which of course is why we wind up with so many schools absolutely chock full of colorful anime characters. Apparently there's no other walk of life wherein a grab bag of personalities are semi-believably going to associate and chase the same protagonist (be they male or female). (On the note of gender equality in harem anime Ouran High School Host Club is beautifully illustrated, excellently voiced in the dubbed version, and pretty snarky/funny throughout. The wife and I liked it and have even rewatched it.)

Which makes me wonder if all of the above is part of why the show this thread was started to discuss ignores the school aspect and dives straight into the girl gathering and kissing right on the face of things. I mean if that's what the audience really wants why bother jumping through hoops of pseudo believability when you can slap a label of 'because magic/spirits' on the thing.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-11, 07:49 PM
To me the less flimsy the reason for a given character to be on screen, then the less flimsy the scene, then the less flimsy the show becomes in that regard.
Unjustified screentime over and over and over for a cadre of characters who normally have nothing to do with each other gets exasperating. (See Negima and its, though colorful, glutted cast of characters. They seemingly never do find the balance between enough and too much screentime for purely leftover character ideas.)

The negima animes are all horrendous. The manga is much better. You just need to realise how far ahead he planned it. A lot of characters begin to fall into place over the course of the manga though a few were just there to appease the executives who wanted another heram series to milk after love hina(he wanted to do an action series), and some never saw their story arcs surface as he sabotaged his work by ending it early before the executives could stop him from writing it.

The big problem with negima is it tries to do to much, which results in it feeling like a series of unrelated stories at times. The anime are just terrible though. Especially the ones that try really hard to make it like love hina.

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 11:33 PM
Pfft. That's fine. It's not for everyone. I don't partake of the alcohol all the time. Just socially. And occasionally when I am lonely.

Oh.

Which I bet is always after your scorned me.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AJ_HG3mr_z0/UfAJBTYm3bI/AAAAAAAABU4/MTk5a9LWVfc/s0/tumblr_m48hzysQ7h1qbvovho1_500.gif
Can't even pass a simple test...

I have a suggestion: It's the Instant Liver Failure Drinking game! Watch SAO2 and take a shot every time a named character does something stupid, or a villain is needlessly creepy.
I giggled. You may live.

For now.

That gif is from the Nyarko-san anime. That's Hastur.

EDIT: Hastur is also a guy. Alien. Thing. Please don't ask.
It's true. I liked Hastur. Genuinely a nice dude.

I don't watch as much heram animes you seem to think. Most of my anime list is action oriented or other types of drama.
I was kidding.

Though it seems to me that the love interests are more important. An ordinary heram anime will try to make either a relatable protagonist or some kind of failure (probably gives the idea that if a guy like that can get a girl like her). I find having a solid protagonist that the audience can still want to get a love interest can help but the love interests are more important for the enjoyability of the anime.
Korezom and Haganai had more interesting protagonists for harem anime.

Snowbluff, I think you aimed to high. Try something heatseeking.
****, he's not even giving off heat. What is this, and urbanmech?

Unjustified screentime over and over and over for a cadre of characters who normally have nothing to do with each other gets exasperating. (See Negima and its, though colorful, glutted cast of characters. They seemingly never do find the balance between enough and too much screentime for purely leftover character ideas.) Yeah, it's annoying all right. It's why I feel like having blonde dude, hot scientist lady, and annoying tsundere twintail red head all at once wasn't blegh. OUt of the three, I'd get rid of the most generic one.

Which of course is why we wind up with so many schools absolutely chock full of colorful anime characters. Apparently there's no other walk of life wherein a grab bag of personalities are semi-believably going to associate and chase the same protagonist (be they male or female). (On the note of gender equality in harem anime Ouran High School Host Club is beautifully illustrated, excellently voiced in the dubbed version, and pretty snarky/funny throughout. The wife and I liked it and have even rewatched it.)

Which makes me wonder if all of the above is part of why the show this thread was started to discuss ignores the school aspect and dives straight into the girl gathering and kissing right on the face of things. I mean if that's what the audience really wants why bother jumping through hoops of pseudo believability when you can slap a label of 'because magic/spirits' on the thing.The school part of the setting is entirely unnecessary. Seriously, the typical best friend guy gets like no lines. The high school is mostly there because anime, and then because we have to put the characters somewhere after sealing them I guess.

It's not really touched on how they socialize the spirits very well. No "we want you guys to live normal lives." Yumui is just kind of there (at the school) in season two.

Ouran is alright I guess.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 11:36 PM
Sorry I went missing. I got caught up in Doctor Who. Sometimes that happens and I just sit there like:
https://49.media.tumblr.com/6b1dc70801374d2518ebb08a00be5769/tumblr_mzenoyxhRQ1rlv62so1_500.gif

Snowbluff
2016-01-11, 11:41 PM
Sorry I went missing. I got caught up in Doctor Who. Sometimes that happens and I just sit there like:
https://49.media.tumblr.com/6b1dc70801374d2518ebb08a00be5769/tumblr_mzenoyxhRQ1rlv62so1_500.gif

Reply to my stuff, then. I was at work for hours just now. It's cool. :smalltongue:

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-11, 11:55 PM
Reply to this?

Which I bet is always after your scorned me.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AJ_HG3mr_z0/UfAJBTYm3bI/AAAAAAAABU4/MTk5a9LWVfc/s0/tumblr_m48hzysQ7h1qbvovho1_500.gif
Can't even pass a simple test...
I don't... uh... I never scor-
https://57.media.tumblr.com/5c7ef7b22df227b864f03cefba0ec088/tumblr_nmyr6pIqrD1urxr04o1_500.gif
I don't know what test you're talking about!

Snowbluff
2016-01-12, 01:24 AM
I don't... uh... I never scor-
https://57.media.tumblr.com/5c7ef7b22df227b864f03cefba0ec088/tumblr_nmyr6pIqrD1urxr04o1_500.gif
I don't know what test you're talking about!

There's always a test! Everything is! It's like you don't even know me
https://49.media.tumblr.com/0d865446a205080c118bcc5356a1235d/tumblr_nslzqsUupG1retk94o1_500.gif
This is why you struck out.

Now go finish Date A Live!

IZ42
2016-01-12, 02:01 AM
I giggled. You may live.
:D

For now.
D:

****, he's not even giving off heat. What is this, and urbanmech?

I am totally a warm blooded creature. Calling me anything other than a meatba-- fellow human being would be demeaning.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-12, 02:20 AM
There's always a test! Everything is! It's like you don't even know me
https://49.media.tumblr.com/0d865446a205080c118bcc5356a1235d/tumblr_nslzqsUupG1retk94o1_500.gif
This is why you struck out.

Now go finish Date A Live!
I'll try and finish Date A Live for you this week. I know you. You'll be happy with that. Right?
https://57.media.tumblr.com/4c68e86a26e38eb0bd108c0d0d5c5c60/tumblr_mywsmyw6aB1se02d1o1_500.gif

Snowbluff
2016-01-12, 02:21 AM
I'll try and finish Date A Live for you this week. I know you. You'll be happy with that. Right?
https://57.media.tumblr.com/4c68e86a26e38eb0bd108c0d0d5c5c60/tumblr_mywsmyw6aB1se02d1o1_500.gif

I learned long ago that it may not help.
http://data.whicdn.com/images/71892982/original.gif

:D

D:
>;)

I am totally a warm blooded creature. Calling me anything other than a meatba-- fellow human being would be demeaning.

With a spine, too. People have those.
cuz urbanmechs have 360 degree torso twist as in no spine :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbaychtiHcM

IZ42
2016-01-12, 07:03 AM
Just decided to watch the 3rd episode of Madoka and I liked Mami ;-;

Red Fel
2016-01-12, 09:27 AM

I'm so torn between Ban and Meliodas. I love them both and just can't decide! D:

For me, it was Guila. There's something about kitsuneme characters. That, and...

In the epilogue, about the only part I remember very well is between Guila and Jerry Curl Jericho. Jericho, having lost her powers, expresses frustration that Guila got to keep hers. Guila responds that it was love that helped her - his for her, and hers for this:

http://ptanime.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Nanatsu-no-Taizai-final-em-aberto.gif

Sociopaths in love.
And I lost it. Right there, I had my winners, my two favorite characters. Forget MeliodasxElizabeth, that's my pairing, right there.

http://22oh311t47ddptkji3ha50yx.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/dr-who-nod-gif.gif

Ha ha ha ha...

Not even once.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-12, 10:26 AM
You're watching Madoka? Learn not to love.

In the epilogue, about the only part I remember very well is between Guila and Jerry Curl Jericho. Jericho, having lost her powers, expresses frustration that Guila got to keep hers. Guila responds that it was love that helped her - his for her, and hers for this:

http://ptanime.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Nanatsu-no-Taizai-final-em-aberto.gif

Sociopaths in love.

Gowther is hilariously devious. You basically find out he cast the spell mindrape to make her love him unconditionally.

Red Fel
2016-01-12, 10:40 AM
Gowther is hilariously devious. You basically find out he cast the spell mindrape to make her love him unconditionally.

On the one hand, I'm unsurprised, because he's an emotionless sociopath who mindrapes/mindprobes everyone basically on a whim.

On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised, because if memory serves, he is SELFLESSNESS, and such an action seems entirely selfish.
Still, those two deserve each other. They're my kind of crazy.

Side note, is the Netflix anime the only version of the anime? Or is there a proper anime out there someplace with a second season already waiting for me?

I've been trying not to Netflix any anime I might see in a more complete form elsewhere. It's already ruined some for me (e.g. Fairy Tail), making it difficult to get used to the different voices unless I start all over from the beginning.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-12, 10:49 AM
On the one hand, I'm unsurprised, because he's an emotionless sociopath who mindrapes/mindprobes everyone basically on a whim.

On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised, because if memory serves, he is SELFLESSNESS, and such an action seems entirely selfish.
Still, those two deserve each other. They're my kind of crazy.
I mean, maybe him having to deal with her is a sacrifice? I always imagined that, as the sin of lust, he lusts after regular emotions.

Side note, is the Netflix anime the only version of the anime? Or is there a proper anime out there someplace with a second season already waiting for me?
Not as far as I know. Season 2 was announced (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0iZQTWu3o) though.

I've been trying not to Netflix any anime I might see in a more complete form elsewhere. It's already ruined some for me (e.g. Fairy Tail), making it difficult to get used to the different voices unless I start all over from the beginning.
I didn't even realize that Fairy Tail had two versions. I haven't watched much of it yet. (I'm on like episode 18...) I usually only watch the Japanese versions.

I learned long ago that it may not help.
http://data.whicdn.com/images/71892982/original.gif
Please don't cry, little Snowbluff. Paladin's here.
https://57.media.tumblr.com/23c09599c0bdb9cdd271a20f122f45e4/tumblr_n1q353eYsK1rdsxs3o1_500.gif

Red Fel
2016-01-12, 11:24 AM
I didn't even realize that Fairy Tail had two versions. I haven't watched much of it yet. (I'm on like episode 18...) I usually only watch the Japanese versions.

Not so much that Fairy Tail has two versions, as the Netflix of it is incomplete. It cuts off. And I know for a fact that the series continues. And I know for a fact that Crunchyroll has more episodes. I don't know if they're dubs (like Netflix has) or subs, and therein lies the problem - I'd love to continue enjoying the story, and from the clips I've seen the original Japanese VAs were great, but it would be hard to switch over mid-series from English VAs to Japanese, which means having to start over from the beginning.

And I don't know if my feels can handle watching that episode again. All of the feels. All of them.

Damn, but that series had a soundtrack.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-12, 11:30 AM
Not so much that Fairy Tail has two versions, as the Netflix of it is incomplete. It cuts off. And I know for a fact that the series continues. And I know for a fact that Crunchyroll has more episodes. I don't know if they're dubs (like Netflix has) or subs, and therein lies the problem - I'd love to continue enjoying the story, and from the clips I've seen the original Japanese VAs were great, but it would be hard to switch over mid-series from English VAs to Japanese, which means having to start over from the beginning.

And I don't know if my feels can handle watching that episode again. All of the feels. All of them.

Damn, but that series had a soundtrack.
I've only seen Japanese episodes, but I watch it on Crunchyroll. I'm fairly exclusive to Crunchyroll anime, but I branched to Hulu for Snow this time. I also branched out to Netflix for 7DS.

Snowbluff
2016-01-12, 11:38 AM
Just decided to watch the 3rd episode of Madoka and I liked Mami ;-; Meh, she's not even the main character and not a Byronic Hero. Pass.

Ha ha ha ha...

Not even once.
Hahaha, no, you don't get to live. Sorry, Fel Kitty.

Actually, what are you doing here. Thought you were out? :smallconfused:

Please don't cry, little Snowbluff. Paladin's here.
https://57.media.tumblr.com/23c09599c0bdb9cdd271a20f122f45e4/tumblr_n1q353eYsK1rdsxs3o1_500.gif
All I see here are 7 Deadly Sins spoilers.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/ef929688cc2b0bbae776470769b985f9/tumblr_msd1f145PA1rl5d0no1_500.gif
They don't hide them in the editor ans they are hard to delete right with your eyes closed.

Red Fel
2016-01-12, 11:39 AM
I've only seen Japanese episodes, but I watch it on Crunchyroll. I'm fairly exclusive to Crunchyroll anime, but I branched to Hulu for Snow this time. I also branched out to Netflix for 7DS.

Yeah, I really need to start that Crunchyroll subscription. I've been sort of dancing around it, because I need another monthly expense like a hole in the head, but I'm so sorely tempted.

Here's another example. FMA: Bro'hood. Netflix has four seasons of that. Wikipedia lists 64 episodes. I'm pretty sure Netflix doesn't finish the series. Probably going to have to go to Crunchyroll for it, am I right?

Why you do this thing, Netflix? Why you give me almost the whole series?

http://www.macrochan.org/images/R/B/RB55PJGLTZ7UXB3L5CN7LKEO436R7XFJ.jpeg

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-12, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I really need to start that Crunchyroll subscription. I've been sort of dancing around it, because I need another monthly expense like a hole in the head, but I'm so sorely tempted.
I'll PM you some Crunchyroll trial codes. It's not like I'm using them.

VirusInk
2016-01-12, 03:04 PM

Oh... Madoka.
I felt the same way but then-
Y'know.
http://media0.giphy.com/media/KwqZPyadLaU6I/giphy.gif

Red Fel
2016-01-12, 03:06 PM
Oh... Madoka.

Not even once.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-12, 04:37 PM
Not even once.

Watch Madoka

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-12, 11:04 PM
First season complete.

Snowbluff
2016-01-13, 12:44 AM
Watch Madoka
It's true. Homura is a very important character. One of my favorites. Up there with Princess Luna and Suigintou.

First season complete.

Cool? What did you think? Kurumi?

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-13, 12:53 AM
Cool? What did you think? Kurumi?
I really wanted Kurumi to give in. Cool angel though. Tohka is my favorite, though. That sword. She's can holy avenge me any time she likes.

Snowbluff
2016-01-13, 01:09 AM
I really wanted Kurumi to give in.
But that's the point, though!

I did like it when Kurumi Kurumis Kurumi. Avoid pronouns with Kurumi as much as possible to make it confusing as possible. Use Kurumi as a verb to make it worse.

Cool angel though. Zaphkiel is the coolest angel. In the Torah, he is the angel of being cool.

Tohka is my favorite, though. That sword. She's can holy avenge me any time she likes.

Too bad powers get sealed. :s

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-13, 01:14 AM
I did like it when Kurumi Kurumis Kurumi. Avoid pronouns with Kurumi as much as possible to make it confusing as possible. Use Kurumi as a verb to make it worse.
Zaphkiel is the coolest angel. In the Torah, he is the angel of being cool.
Kurumi can Kurumi Kurumi, but can Kurumi Kurumi Yoshino?

Too bad powers get sealed. :s
Not sorry.

Snowbluff
2016-01-13, 01:18 AM
Kurumi can Kurumi Kurumi, but can Kurumi Kurumi Yoshino?

Kurumi can Kurumi Kurumi because Kurumi isn't a very good Kurumi. It's important that MC guy doesn't Kurumi Kurumi because the Kurumi would Kurumi, capisci? So Kurumi uses the other Kurumis in order to Kurumi the plot.
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/date-a-live/images/4/4d/Tumblr_n52uo64MFb1rltw58o4_500.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150418152652
Kurumi could Kurumi Yoshino, but I bet we all wish Kurumi would Kurumi Yoshino instead, am I right? :smalltongue:

Not sorry.

Tohka ends up looking ridiculous a lot of the times, too.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-13, 01:25 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/sRb7yNtTJAtZS/giphy.gif

Snowbluff
2016-01-13, 01:34 AM
Translation:

Kurumi's attack as a ploy to mark her as too dangerous to seal. If her powers are sealed, her plan to *mumbles* would fail. Honestly, it's the only time the "kissing seals powers' and harem angle works, and that's when it's telling us that it's stupid. It's really quite remarkable.

Watch Kurumi's OVA. I think it's the second one. That's explain Kurumi's death at the hands by Kurumi.

The last part (after the manic laughter) was a crack pairing of Yoshino x Kurumi, which was nonsense.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-13, 10:54 AM
Translation:

Kurumi's attack as a ploy to mark her as too dangerous to seal. If her powers are sealed, her plan to *mumbles* would fail. Honestly, it's the only time the "kissing seals powers' and harem angle works, and that's when it's telling us that it's stupid. It's really quite remarkable.

Watch Kurumi's OVA. I think it's the second one. That's explain Kurumi's death at the hands by Kurumi.

The last part (after the manic laughter) was a crack pairing of Yoshino x Kurumi, which was nonsense.
That was a lot to take in. I wont get to watch anymore episodes tonight. I'll probably squeeze the rest in by Sunday.

IZ42
2016-01-13, 06:24 PM
Off topic from Anime, but I suggest anyone who likes Metal, Blues, Opera, Swing, or Jazz go and check out Diablo Swing Orchestra like right now.

Snowbluff
2016-01-13, 07:09 PM
That was a lot to take in. I wont get to watch anymore episodes tonight. I'll probably squeeze the rest in by Sunday.

Excellent. Well, I hope you can finish so we can have the Kurumi Kurumi to Kurumi all Kurumis!

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-14, 10:32 AM
Excellent. Well, I hope you can finish so we can have the Kurumi Kurumi to Kurumi all Kurumis!
All this Kurumi about Kurumi is making me Kurumi...

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-19, 10:14 PM
On Season 2: Diva.

Red Fel
2016-01-20, 09:32 AM

Yeah, I can't hear that word without thinking of Blood+ anymore.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-20, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I can't hear that word without thinking of Blood+ anymore.
I haven't watched that. I did just finish Monster Musume. It was awful. One of the episodes did actual brain damage. Friends don't let friends watch Monster Musume.

Red Fel
2016-01-20, 10:19 AM
I haven't watched that. I did just finish Monster Musume. It was awful. One of the episodes did actual brain damage. Friends don't let friends watch Monster Musume.

Blood+ is actually really quite good. Dark and grisly, but I enjoyed it immensely. And that's coming from somebody who doesn't generally like "break the cutie" moments.

Side note, I ended up signing up for Crunchyroll. I've already watched Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki, Ojisan and Marshmallow, and an episode or two of Manga-ka and his Assistants, and am now once again back into Fairy Tail. I'm about to head into the Edolas arc, me help me.

Poyopoyo was adorable. Do recommend.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-20, 10:36 AM
Ooooo a Red Fel recommendation! I'll add them to my queue. I've been trying to weed things out of my queue lately.

You should watch RWBY if you get a chance. Rooster Teeth is a great company and RWBY was/is astounding.

Red Fel
2016-01-20, 10:39 AM
Ooooo a Red Fel recommendation! I'll add them to my queue. I've been trying to weed things out of my queue lately.

You should watch RWBY if you get a chance. Rooster Teeth is a great company and RWBY was/is astounding.

I did watch RWBY! I've got the new stuff in my queue, but I watched the old stuff, from before Oum passed. I enjoyed it immensely! They did a superb job of worldbuilding.

Yeah, I can make a few recommendations if you like, depending on your genre of choice. I will warn that I generally prefer lighter fare. (So why do I keep punishing myself with the mood whiplash of Fairy Tail?)

Snowbluff
2016-01-20, 10:49 AM

Eeerrgk

Uh

Wow, that line of episodes is just full of unfortunate implications.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-20, 10:53 AM
Eeerrgk

Uh

Wow, that line of episodes is just full of unfortunate implications.
Yeah. Looks like I have four episodes left.

Snowbluff
2016-01-20, 11:09 AM
Yeah. Looks like I have four episodes left.

Oh god those last four episodes. Tell me when you're finished so I don't spoil it.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-20, 11:22 AM
Oh god those last four episodes. Tell me when you're finished so I don't spoil it.
I'll probably finish it tonight.

NeoPhoenix0
2016-01-20, 02:36 PM

Brain damage? I think i took brain damage while watching this, not because of the show, but because of the video game i was playing. Had to stop doing the two together. I got really into character halfway through killing everything in the game and by the end my brain was acting kinda like this:
http://t00.deviantart.net/CyqhU5DDL5RgWxAMKogGnaGql1U=/300x200/filters:fixed_height%28100,100%29:origin%28%29/pre02/60e0/th/pre/f/2013/018/a/4/psycho_anime_girl_2_by_blackbloodfire-d5rwnxa.png
Now excuse me i need to watch a couple anime. like whatever the one above is so i can use it in the future.

unseenmage
2016-01-21, 09:16 AM
The last one to give me brain damage was My Bride is a Mermaid. Not because it was dumb, which it was, but because of her catchphrase and how awkwardly it gets inserted in every freaking episode. I made it through the whole thing and still recommend it for the Terminator gag if nothing else but man do I hate that catchphrase/speech of hers.

Is This a Zombie was awful but by design so it was okay because parody. Not that it was good, or even a good parody, but it did what it set out to do, which was to be shockingly awful instead of incompetently so.

There was this one the other night I just couldn't take. Something about this boy with cat-ear-like hair who only likes imaginary zombie girls. Then *gasp* this girl he's hanging with becomes a real zombie. Oh my. Just couldn't hack it. Never got funny, never became horror, just sort of hovered in between those two extremes and even failed at romance/harem. Just terrible.

Now I also wasn't a fan of Blood+. It's pretty enough but it has these long stretches where practically nothing is happening to anybody important. Even when it manages to tie up the loose ends, which thankfully it does do, they just seem contrived somehow. Wasn't painful to watch like the above mentions though. Just sort of didn't impress me.

The next in the series Blood C I think it's called? That one was truly horrible. Only front it delivered on was in gore for the sake of gore. Giant bunny monsters dismembering the town in an almost comical fashion was the last straw. That the whole series is basically a dream, kind of but not really, doesn't help.

As the wife and I are restricted to watching only the dubbed anime made Crunchyroll less appealing than Funimation. Not that I have anything against subbed, just can't watch children and read subtitles with any real investment. And I think our tv might be too small for the position it's in in the room. Reading game subtitles becomes increasingly difficult as the years draw on. Might have to invest in a bigger screen at some point just so I can game from farther away.

Edit: So this post is on topic, Date a Live is on the list for brain damage just because it is executed in an awful fashion. The whole concept and show felt like it was half baked. Just would not watch again.
Apologies if I've already said any of the above before. New baby was already causing loss of sleep, maybe adding Fallout 4 to the mix wasn't the best idea. :smallwink:

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-21, 10:27 AM
The last one to give me brain damage was My Bride is a Mermaid.
I just had horrible flashbacks.