PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Good Third Party Classes?

Pyromancer999
2016-01-11, 12:43 PM
So, I will be running a Pathfinder one-shot for some people. Mechanically, the one-shot will be based around giving people a taste of good third party classes.

So far, I have these in mind:

Draconic Exemplar
One of the Spherecasting classes
A class from Path of War
Masquerade Reveler
Maybe a psionic class

Are there any other good third party classes that I can draw upon for this? Also, for the classes where I'm more aiming to introduce a system than a specific class, are there any that are particularly fun to play?

Psyren
2016-01-11, 01:00 PM
I recommend the Occultist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/radiance-house/occultist) class from Radiance House, which is basically a PF version of the Binder. You can get a list of all the current spirits here (http://alharadnd.wikidot.com/occultist-spirits), and check the handbook in my sig to get an idea of what the class can do.

I also recommend the Akashic classes from Dreamscarred Press; these are basically PF versions of the Incarnum classes.

IcarusWulfe
2016-01-11, 02:27 PM
Its a bit complex, but I've always thought that the Tinker was an interesting class.

NomGarret
2016-01-11, 02:38 PM
Is there a particular level you're looking at? Some classes don't feel all that different until level 3 or so.

Pyromancer999
2016-01-11, 04:07 PM
Is there a particular level you're looking at? Some classes don't feel all that different until level 3 or so.

I'm going to stick with the standard I've developed for most one-shots, which is 3rd or 5th. Could be 7th, if there's enough going on at that level.

Kaidinah
2016-01-11, 05:29 PM
I recommend the Battle Lord and Mystic from Amora Games. Additionally the Theurge and White Necromancer from Kobold Press are pretty neat.

stack
2016-01-11, 07:24 PM
If only picking one sphere casting class, the hedgewitch would give a breadth of options on a decent chassis. For pure sphere-diving incanter would be best, you should have 10 or more talents at 5, letting you get a taste of more than one sphere. I'm partial to the elementalist and thaumaturge, but the later is not necessarily what I would choose to give a good understanding of how the system works. The handbooks in my extended sig have a few builds.

I'll second Akashic mysteries and the radiance house occultist as well. I do branch out from spheres on occasion.

Tuvarkz
2016-01-12, 04:48 AM
I recommend the Battle Lord and Mystic from Amora Games. Additionally the Theurge and White Necromancer from Kobold Press are pretty neat.

Would suggest against the Theurge myself. Dual spell pool prepared fullcasting with up to two stats to get bonus spells on isn't exactly the greatest of ideas.

Ssalarn
2016-01-12, 12:12 PM
Woo-hoo! Nice to see multiple suggestions for my Akashic classes, as well as my Battle Lord. It's always an awesome feeling to see your work recommended in a thread like this. Since my work and DSP in general have already been mentioned, let me touch on a few of my favorites from other publishers-

The Swordmaster (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8vlg?Swordmaster) from Dreadfox Games is one of my favorite 3pp classes. It's a Dex-based swordsman with an intelligent blade who uses a special system of attacks composed of Openers, Sequiturs, and Finishers. It's a simple to learn, complex to master, fun martial class that emulates swordmanship similar to what you see in books like the Wheel of Time series.

The Battle Chef (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8xrv?Battle-Chef) from Little Red Goblin Games is very much a typical example of their blend of goofiness and originality. It's a class that gains different culinary styles that it can learn by mastering various flavors and ingredients, and it gets abilities like applying long-term buffs to the party with the meals it cooks, or instantly converting an enemy it gets the killing blow on into delicious food. It's ridiculous, but if you happen to have a group or game where the silliness works, it's surprisingly fun.

The Nightblade (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9cv1?Path-of-Shadows) from Ascensions Games' "Path of Shadows" is a 20 level base class that's 1 part Rogue, 1 part Assassin, 1 part Illusionist, and 1 part Necromancer. It's very well written, can tank, DPR, or control depending on the path you choose, and is just generally fun to play.

Pyromancer999
2016-01-12, 07:02 PM
Based on what I've seen recommended, I've narrowed it down to the following for the first four characters:

Draconic Exemplar
Nightblade
Incanter
Warlord

Unsure of what to do for the 5th and 6th(maybe an Akashic class, but all I can find is the Vizier), but I have enough suggested classes for two one-shots of third party stuff, so I'm good on that.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Melcar
2016-01-12, 07:07 PM
So, I will be running a Pathfinder one-shot for some people. Mechanically, the one-shot will be based around giving people a taste of good third party classes.

So far, I have these in mind:

Draconic Exemplar
One of the Spherecasting classes
A class from Path of War
Masquerade Reveler
Maybe a psionic class

Are there any other good third party classes that I can draw upon for this? Also, for the classes where I'm more aiming to introduce a system than a specific class, are there any that are particularly fun to play?

I was going to say, that the Quintessential Books have some nice content, but thats D&D 3.X... Do with the information what yoy will! :smallsmile:

Felyndiira
2016-01-12, 07:31 PM
Based on what I've seen recommended, I've narrowed it down to the following for the first four characters:

Draconic Exemplar
Nightblade
Incanter
Warlord

Unsure of what to do for the 5th and 6th(maybe an Akashic class, but all I can find is the Vizier), but I have enough suggested classes for two one-shots of third party stuff, so I'm good on that.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Draconic Exemplar is a frontliner with synthesist-like "evolutions" revolving around a dragon theme.
Nightblade is a stealthy character with standard 6-level casting and supernatural tricks.
Incanter is the quintessential full caster in spheres of power.
Warlord is a dedicated melee class (I recommend using a tradition to get one of the supernatural disciplines).

Here's some of the more unique roles that aren't covered by your classes, and yet do very well in representing other systems:

Vitalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist) is an actually effective Psionic healer and supporter. Vitalist is great for introducing psionics since they learn their entire list as well as filling a role that is not present in the party (except maybe Incanter if you take the life sphere). Add in some Expanded Knowledge for flavor, and make sure to use the life leech + sadist archetypes, as they completely change the class and represent an entirely different way to play a healer.

Savant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/kobold-press-open-design/savant) is one of the coolest concepts for a class that I've seen. It does have some balance issues due to the massive wealth of options available to it, but is one of the most open-ended and roleplay-driven classes ever written. It's like a bard in that it can fit into any role and represents an apex in creative class design.

Vizier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/akashic-magic/veilweaving-classes/the-vizier) is currently the only Akashic class out on PFSRD (you can get the playtest PDFs for the other two if you have the subscription). Out of the three, it's the most caster-like class, with lots of different options for offense beyond just smacking people around, and the veilweaving system is really fun in that it can completely redesign itself between days (and still really good for multiclassing, just like the Incarnum system before it).

Pyromancer999
2016-01-12, 10:50 PM
Draconic Exemplar is a frontliner with synthesist-like "evolutions" revolving around a dragon theme.
Nightblade is a stealthy character with standard 6-level casting and supernatural tricks.
Incanter is the quintessential full caster in spheres of power.
Warlord is a dedicated melee class (I recommend using a tradition to get one of the supernatural disciplines).

Here's some of the more unique roles that aren't covered by your classes, and yet do very well in representing other systems:

Vitalist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/vitalist) is an actually effective Psionic healer and supporter. Vitalist is great for introducing psionics since they learn their entire list as well as filling a role that is not present in the party (except maybe Incanter if you take the life sphere). Add in some Expanded Knowledge for flavor, and make sure to use the life leech + sadist archetypes, as they completely change the class and represent an entirely different way to play a healer.

Okay, looked this over and that looks good, thanks! Might not use the leech+sadist route necessarily, but this does look good for healing + buffing.

Savant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/kobold-press-open-design/savant) is one of the coolest concepts for a class that I've seen. It does have some balance issues due to the massive wealth of options available to it, but is one of the most open-ended and roleplay-driven classes ever written. It's like a bard in that it can fit into any role and represents an apex in creative class design.

Definitely looks good, but a little bit sketchy. As far as I can see, since there does not appear to be a limit on the number of personas a player can have, a player could take any combination of knacks to make a new persona, so it could mean for nearly limitless use of knacks through the creation of new personas.

Vizier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/akashic-magic/veilweaving-classes/the-vizier) is currently the only Akashic class out on PFSRD (you can get the playtest PDFs for the other two if you have the subscription). Out of the three, it's the most caster-like class, with lots of different options for offense beyond just smacking people around, and the veilweaving system is really fun in that it can completely redesign itself between days (and still really good for multiclassing, just like the Incarnum system before it).

It is caster-like, but it could stomp a bit on the Incanter, which I was planning on being the main caster-type. Also, since this is a one-shot, re-designing itself isn't as much of a feature that will see action, which is similarly why I don't have a Radiance House Occultist in the one-shot.

stack
2016-01-13, 08:22 AM
Vizier and incanter can fill similar roles, depending on build. I can see not including both on those grounds, though a handcannon vizier and say a creation/enhancement incanter are going to be very different.

Pyromancer999
2016-01-13, 10:27 AM
Vizier and incanter can fill similar roles, depending on build. I can see not including both on those grounds, though a handcannon vizier and say a creation/enhancement incanter are going to be very different.

I did notice the Handcannon one, but was unsure of how exactly one could build a character around it. I guess just load up on standard ranged feats. Still, unless there's other veils that could mesh well with that, not sure if that would necessarily be the best way to showcase akashic magic. It could work, but still.

stack
2016-01-13, 10:49 AM
Armory of the conqueror is a good pick-up, but yes, mostly standard ranged feats. For handcannons only the adaptive gunner marksman is more focused. Viziers can also melee with spear of light or Minotaur horns, light whip gives interesting control options, dragon spirit cinture can be pumped enough for a primary offense at the levels in question, and stare of the ghaele + pestilence cloak is fun. There are other comboes too, but, especially at low levels, you can't build to use every veil to its maximum potential so have to somewhat choose a focus. Handcannons eat all you feats for most of your levels, for instance, so if you just want a decent ranged attack grab riven darts instead.

Pyromancer999
2016-01-13, 11:05 AM
Armory of the conqueror is a good pick-up, but yes, mostly standard ranged feats. For handcannons only the adaptive gunner marksman is more focused. Viziers can also melee with spear of light or Minotaur horns, light whip gives interesting control options, dragon spirit cinture can be pumped enough for a primary offense at the levels in question, and stare of the ghaele + pestilence cloak is fun. There are other comboes too, but, especially at low levels, you can't build to use every veil to its maximum potential so have to somewhat choose a focus. Handcannons eat all you feats for most of your levels, for instance, so if you just want a decent ranged attack grab riven darts instead.

Some good ideas, although I can't find Armory of the Conqueror or spear of light on the SRD. It is something to think about, though.

stack
2016-01-13, 11:52 AM
Neither were in the original vizier release, so aren't on the SRD yet. You can find them in the supplemental doc here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?409134-Dreamscarred-Press-Presents-Akashic-Mysteries-Thread-2).

Pyromancer999
2016-01-13, 12:51 PM
I looked it over, and that all seems to work. Thanks for linking that. Vizier will be the 6th then.

stack
2016-01-13, 01:07 PM
I looked it over, and that all seems to work. Thanks for linking that. Vizier will be the 6th then.

Have to do my part. I am a very minor contributor to that one (swarm master dread).