PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Intelligent Character Options [PEACH]

RakiReborn
2016-01-11, 12:45 PM
Hi GiantITP,

It had been bothering me for a while that there is barely any love for Intelligence, apart from the Wizard class (counting the EK and AT as wizardy subclasses). I know quite some intelligent people in real life, and they regularly use their intelligence to improve the things they do (it sounds more obvious than it seems to be). Following that, i made some Intelligence based subclasses and feats:

Subclasses
As a strategist, you use your intelligence to your advantage. You look for the gaps in the defences of your enemies, and use your wits to help your allies.

Strategic Initiative (lvl3):
At 3rd level, you have learned when to act in combat. At the beginning of combat, after initiative is rolled and the order of combat is known, you may add or subtract an amount up to your Intelligence modifier to your initiative, possibly changing the order.

Thinking with others (lvl3):
Also beginning when you choose this Archetype, you may use your action to help an ally with an ability check with logical and smart thinking. If you do, the ally gains a bonus to the ability check equal to your Intelligence modifier. You can use this feature once per short or long rest.

Opportunist (lvl7):
Starting at 7th level, whenever an enemy within your melee weapon reach misses a melee attack against you or an ally, you may use your reaction to make one melee weapon attack against that enemy.

Point to the Weak Spot (lvl10):
Starting at 10th level, when you have hit with an melee attack, you can use your bonus action to point out a weak spot in its defences, giving one ally within 30ft of you that can hear you advantage on the first attack in its turn targeting the creature you hit.

Too Smart to Fool (lvl15):
Starting at 15th level, you add your Intelligence modifier to all Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma saving throws.

Strategic Order (lvl18):
Starting at 18th level, you not only know when to act yourself, you also know when others can act best. At the beginning of combat, after initiative is rolled and the order of combat is known, you may not only change your own initiative, but all allies within 30ft of you may change theirs following the rules of your Strategic Initiative, using your Intelligence modifier.
As an investigator, you always look for clues to help you, taking advantage of everything you find.

Advantageous Striker (lvl3):
Starting at 3rd level, you know when to take advantage of the situation. When you hit a creature that is bloodied (below half its maximum hit points), you may choose to make the hit a critical hit. You may use this feature once per short or long rest.

Investigation Expert (lvl3):
You have learned where to look when investigating things, and always seem to check the right spots. You become proficient in the Investigation skill if you weren’t already, and add twice your proficiency bonus to any ability check that uses the Investigation skill.

Weak Spots (lvl9):
Starting at 9th level, you not only use your swift actions to strike, but look for weak spots while you do so. Once per turn, when you make an attack roll, you may make an Intelligence (investigation) check against the AC of the creature you target. You may use the result of the check instead of your attack roll to determine if you hit.

Logical Thinker (lvl13):
You have learned to use your wits with everything you do regularly. When you make an ability check using a skill you are proficient with, you may add your Intelligence modifier to the roll. You may use this feature once per short or long rest.

Passive Investigator (lvl17):
Starting at 17th level, your expertise in investigating is so high, that you always seem to know what is around you by noticing the smallest details. You can’t be surprised.
You combine the natural affinity residing inside you with the study of runes. Perhaps there was a rune caster or warrior somewhere in your bloodline, or someone in your bloodline was saved with the power of runes, gaining a small portion of the magical power inside him or her.

Studied Everything (lvl1):
You have studied everything about runes, in every language you could find. You learn additional languages equal to half your Intelligence modifier (rounded down). Additionally, you can read magic runes. If your modifier increases in the future, and would have gained another language from this feature with this feature, you learn one more language.

Embodyment of Magic (lvl1):
Your studies of the runes gave you knowledge of bodily runes. You may magically write runes on your body to cast spells with. You can only have one rune per spell level on your body. The amount your level and your intelligence:

Amount
Level Requirement
INT requirement

For each rune, you must link one spell from the Wizard spell list of the appropriate level. You can cast this spell once per long rest without spending a spell slot. You may change one rune on your body every long rest.

Runic Ward (lvl6):
At 6th level you have mastered even the defensive properties of runes. As a reaction upon being hit by an attack, you can light up your runes to ward you from harm. If you do so, your AC increases by the amount of runes you have on your body for one round. You can use this ability an amount equal to your Intelligence modifier per long rest

Runic Metamagic (lvl14):
At 14th level you have learned to twist the runic magic to your needs. You may choose one Metamagic option that costs one Sorcery Point (except twinned). Spells cast from your runes are always cast with this Metamagic, even if they don’t affect the spell.

Perfect Rune (lvl18):
At 18th level you have learned to change the power of a rune to as powerful as you can. Once per long rest you can improve the spell slot of which the runic spell is cast by your Intelligence modifier (to a maximum of 9th slot), and the spell can’t be counterspelled.

Feats:
+1 INT
You add half your INT modifier (rounded up) as a bonus to the damage rolls of weapon attacks.
You can make a calculated strike instead of one attack from the attack action once per short rest. If you do, you add your INT modifier as a bonus to the attack roll.

You add your INT modifier to your intitiative
Whenever a creature misses you with a melee attack within your melee range, you may use your reaction to make one melee weapon attack against it.
You add up to half your INT modifier (rounded up) to your AC if you are wearing no armor (max 3), light armor (max 2) or medium armor (max 1), due to your quick thinking regarding dodging attacks.

I would love to get as much feedback as possible :)
Any suggestions are welcome, even if i decide not to use them. The worst that can happen is that i actually learn from them o.O

EDIT (12-1-2016): added 'as a bonus' to the Calculated Striker points to make it more clear.

DracoKnight
2016-01-11, 07:27 PM
You add your INT modifier to your intitiative
Whenever a creature misses you with a melee attack within your melee range, you may use your reaction to make one melee weapon attack against it.
You add up to half your INT modifier (rounded up) to your AC if you are wearing no armor (max 3), light armor (max 2) or medium armor (max 1), due to your quick thinking regarding dodging attacks.

I would love to get as much feedback as possible :)
Any suggestions are welcome, even if i decide not to use them. The worst that can happen is that i actually learn from them o.O

So...this pretty much breaks the Bladesinger, making it the most OP melee caster there is.

So, using Standard, let's say we're playing a High Elf Bladesinger.

STR 8
DEX 16
CON 13
INT 16
WIS 12
CHA 10

Let's say this character is 20th level, and they spent their feats as follows:
4th +2 INT
8th +2 DEX
12th +2 INT
16th Quick Thinker
19th Resilient (CON)

Our stats are now:

STR 8
DEX 18
CON 14
INT 20
WIS 12
CHA 10

So, our initiative score is now +9
We can make a weapon attack as a reaction.
And our AC...WOW. We're a Wizard, so we've cast Mage Armor. So that's 13 + 4 (DEX) = 17. + 3 (Quick Thinker) = 20. NOW, let's add in Bladesong: you're now at 25 AC, adding INT to AC. Then you can cast haste, for 27, and then shield for 32.

Now, because this is homebrew, if your DM houserules a feat at 1st level, then you can also get DEX to 20, making that 32 AC a 33 AC.

This is a massive buff for the cost of 1 ASI.

Steampunkette
2016-01-11, 08:47 PM
Congratulations! You've now written up a wizard who gets almost never hit in melee and attacks once per round.

Or twice per round (once as a reaction) at the cost of 5ac, bringing them back down to 27. Can't use your reaction for shield and to swing, after all.

It's not a massive buff for the cost of 1 ASI, Draco. A character can do all of that stuff WITHOUT the additional 3 AC increase from the feat and have a 24-29 AC. At which point their armor class is so darn high they're already nearly impossible to hit.

DracoKnight
2016-01-11, 09:02 PM
Congratulations! You've now written up a wizard who gets almost never hit in melee and attacks once per round.

Or twice per round (once as a reaction) at the cost of 5ac, bringing them back down to 27. Can't use your reaction for shield and to swing, after all.

It's not a massive buff for the cost of 1 ASI, Draco. A character can do all of that stuff WITHOUT the additional 3 AC increase from the feat and have a 24-29 AC. At which point their armor class is so darn high they're already nearly impossible to hit.

Okay, I guess it's not as huge a buff as I initially thought, but it still seems fairly powerful. Like have Great Weapon Master on a Barbarian or Paladin. :smalltongue:

Steampunkette
2016-01-11, 09:19 PM
Personally, I like the feat. And some of the class kits presented, here, as well. I deeply enjoy playing "Smart Fantasy" characters and "Cool Fantasy" characters, where intelligence and charisma actively play a role in combat, rather than being something relegated exclusively to skills and saves.

I also love initiative bonuses. Tactically they're situationally useful for the first round of combat, regardless of class and kit. I know everyone flips over the idea of Assassin Rogues going first, but they're almost always going to go before at least -one- of the enemies in any given encounter, giving them targets to shank. Going first only gives them a wider choice of targets to shank.

RakiReborn
2016-01-12, 06:26 AM
Thanks for your reactions. The two main points discussed were the AC bonus and Initiative bonus given by the Quick Thinker.

AC bonus
The AC bonus was one of the hardest things i wanted to do. The fluff i wanted to implement is that you use logical thinking to enhance your dodging, hence the different bonusses to different armors. The heavier the armor, the more difficult it would be to move around ánd think about it. It might be quite a bonus this way, but i really wanted to add it to the dexterity part of AC instead of a new base AC. The other option i thought of was to make it like the defensive dualist; use your reaction to get a bonus. I could make it that you can use your reaction to get the bonus (i want to keep the different ones on different armors), but the problem there would be that it is another reaction part in the same feat (the other is the attack as reaction). Would either of you know a better way to implement my idea to use the intelligence to enhance the dexterity part of AC?

Initiative bonus
The initiative bonus was something i am not afraid of it will be overpowered. Its a scalable version of the Initiative bonus from the Alert feat, with the same maximum. So at best, it is the same power as 1/3 of that feat, not at best it will be slightly to a lot worse (altho you wouldn't take this feat with a low INT i presume).

@SteamPunkette, thank you for the compliment :) I have seen way too many BDF characters in games i played, as INT is the standard dump stat for anyone who doesnt use it for spellcasting. Cha and Wis are simply used way more for skills, so this way i hope to give INT another chance to shine for non-casters :)

One last thing i would like to discuss is a prerequisite for the feats. What are your thoughts on that?

Steampunkette
2016-01-12, 11:14 AM
I think Calculated Strike is a bit on the weak side. Of course, I'm about to say something controversial!

Feats that allow for stat-swapping should just be allowed to work at all times.

A Bladelock who takes a feat that allows Warlocks to use Charisma to attack and damage doesn't need to throw as much stat variety into dex in order to deal damage. The perceived problem is that they'll be that much more powerful when they gain the class ability to add charisma mod to damage with their pactblades at level 11 (or is it 12?) but by that point their feat investment is getting them, what? 2 points of damage above someone who focuses on dex improvement and uses a rapier?

However they don't get the AC improvement, or the increase in incredibly common dexterity saves, or a wide variety of skills.

It puts them in a more precarious position where bonus actions and reactions that might be used for maximizing their damage output are instead spent on survival improvement abilities. Meanwhile they get to use a wider variety of weapons. Wanna make a Warlock with a Greataxe? Go for it: There's no longer a strength/dex preference for your class.

And a Rogue using a Greataxe? Doesn't get an off-hand attack for a second shot at sneak attack if they miss.

Unless you're suggesting that both int and standard stat mod apply to the attack, in which case I completely misread your intent and calculated strike is fine.

RakiReborn
2016-01-12, 11:29 AM
-snip-
The intent was that it adds it to the rolls. So you get a bonus equal to your INT added to your damage rolls (STR16, INT 14 would get a +5 in total). This might be a bit strong, but i made it with the Lifedrinker in mind so it would be balanced against something at least. The calculated strike is somewhat of a 'i need to hit NOW' button. It adds the INT to one weapon attack as a bonus, so you have one hit you can hit better with. Hence the name of the strike; you think/calculate when and where to strike, so you will defenitally hit (you hope, rolls can always be a bummer :P).
Was the text not specific enough? If it is too confusing, what should i add to make it clearer?

Steampunkette
2016-01-12, 05:02 PM
"As a bonus to the attack roll" would clear it up.

RakiReborn
2016-01-12, 05:22 PM
"As a bonus to the attack roll" would clear it up.
Edited in the OP. Thanks for helping :) Any comments on the sub-classes?

RakiReborn
2016-01-18, 05:56 AM
Sorry to bump my thread, but i would really like some feedback on the sub-classes i made, and it is starting to get lost between all the other homebrew gold :)
Especially the Runic Bloodline is a bit unclear to me how balanced it is. It was one of my first homebrew sub-classes, and i had been changing details for weeks in it.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-18, 09:03 AM
I like you made more int options;but because rogue and fighter already have one it sounds better for a barbarian (the swag) and warlock (to give them sonething more. Maybe also for bard (like bardic knowledge style)

RakiReborn
2016-01-18, 09:11 AM
I like you made more int options;but because rogue and fighter already have one it sounds better for a barbarian (the swag) and warlock (to give them sonething more. Maybe also for bard (like bardic knowledge style)
I see your point. I have made these so there is a pure martial alternative for the INT-sub-classes for the fighter and rogue, as not everyone would like to play a semi-caster when one wants to play an intelligent character. I am thinking of making an option for the other classes, but i have no idea where to start. I need to have an idea where i am exited about, or i won't be able to do it right... Do you have any suggestions that might spark my interest?
And sorry to keep asking, but what do you think of the Runic Bloodline? I am way too curious about other's thoughts about it 0:)

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-18, 09:25 AM
I see your point. I have made these so there is a pure martial alternative for the INT-sub-classes for the fighter and rogue, as not everyone would like to play a semi-caster when one wants to play an intelligent character. I am thinking of making an option for the other classes, but i have no idea where to start. I need to have an idea where i am exited about, or i won't be able to do it right... Do you have any suggestions that might spark my interest?
And sorry to keep asking, but what do you think of the Runic Bloodline? I am way too curious about other's thoughts about it 0:)

I'm not too sure what I think about the sorcerer, the idea is very cool and it really adds something, also it sounds balanced but that should be playtested because it isn't something you can easily compare to other subclasses.

For the warlock you could make maybe a pact boon where you can use int for, that isn't too difficult but sounds cool, for the bard a college focussed on knowledge, not like the lore but really on int checks or something.