PDA

View Full Version : Broomstick and Hogwarts year one themed character.

Warrnan
2016-01-11, 12:50 PM
2 questions:

How cheap would a broom of flying be if you added these requirements to it? 2 ranks in ride, dex 13, wizard level 1, non-evil? I'm trying to crank something out cheaply for a character ala Hogwarts year one.

What feats would you choose for a level one wizard in a similar style? Which spells? So far I've taken precocious apprentice for knock like hermoine and mage hand for wingardium leviosa type things. So far I've taken divination and barred necromancy for a non-slitheryn feel.

Eschew materials because they never seem to have material components except for potions class. Light of lunia to approximate when hermoine used sunlight to shoot the devil vines.

I have two more feats from flaws I've yet to use. I took pathetic (strength) and non-combatant.

We are using the pathfinder ability to get infinite Cantrips. This will be a flavor focused build for sure but optimization is highly appreciated. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

dascarletm
2016-01-11, 01:19 PM
2 questions:

How cheap would a broom of flying be if you added these requirements to it? 2 ranks in ride, dex 13, wizard level 1, non-evil? I'm trying to crank something out cheaply for a character ala Hogwarts year one.

What feats would you choose for a level one wizard in a similar style? Which spells? So far I've taken precocious apprentice for knock like hermoine and mage hand for wingardium leviosa type things. So far I've taken divination and barred necromancy for a non-slitheryn feel.

Eschew materials because they never seem to have material components except for potions class. Light of lunia to approximate when hermoine used sunlight to shoot the devil vines.

I have two more feats from flaws I've yet to use. I took pathetic (strength) and non-combatant.

We are using the pathfinder ability to get infinite Cantrips. This will be a flavor focused build for sure but optimization is highly appreciated. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated! :)

See if you can get pathfinder's arcane bond instead of a familiar. Bond with a wand. Then if you lose your wand you cannot cast just like in HP. Additionally it gives you the option to cast one spell per day without preparation. Casting without prep is an HP thing after all, and familiars as in DnD don't really exist.

Xuldarinar
2016-01-11, 01:41 PM
In reality, wizards (and witches) in the setting we are discussing are not members of the wizard class but instead are far closer to the sorcerer.

They are born with power, and they are spontaneous with it. They have an assortment of learned spells, but even sorcerers can learn spells through study and acquired understanding.

I will say, that the closest interpretation, within pathfinder specifically, would be a sorcerer with the arcane bloodline and choosing to take on a wand. Outside of pathfinder, the sorcerer class in of itself should be sufficient.

As for the broom, Im afraid I cannot help you there.

Warrnan
2016-01-11, 01:48 PM
Arcane bond is amazing. That's wonderful. Perfect for stuff like gandalf's staff and the Hogwarts type wands. Thanks for the suggestion. Perfect!

Xuldarinar: I completely agree except that a level 1 sorceror has far too few spells known. Hogwarts wizards are definitely more 3.5 Sorcs.

Spirit Shaman has a really great casting system, choose spells each day and cast them spontaneously.

I think the spell points variant does this quite well for wizard. Sweet. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Anyone have ideas about the broom?

Xuldarinar
2016-01-11, 02:00 PM
Arcane bond is amazing. That's wonderful. Perfect for stuff like gandalf's staff and the Hogwarts type wands. Thanks for the suggestion. Perfect!

Xuldarinar: I completely agree except that a level 1 sorceror has far too few spells known. Hogwarts wizards are definitely more 3.5 Sorcs.

Spirit Shaman has a really great casting system, choose spells each day and cast them spontaneously.

I think the spell points variant does this quite well for wizard. Sweet. Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Anyone have ideas about the broom?

I forgot about spirit shaman. The pathfinder arcanist works similarly to it, if I recall correctly.

Anyways. My first notion on the broom is find a Wondrous item that grants flight and re-skin it to being a broom to ride, but that pegs it a bit high of a level and price. Then again, it might take a lot to actually make a flying broom. Still doesn't address any skill checks however.

Warrnan
2016-01-11, 03:45 PM
So I've found what I was looking for. In the Dmg in a side bar it says you can reduce price by 30% for requiring an alignment or class and by 10% for requiring a skill. So following a loose interpretation I could get the broom for 45% of the original cost, 17000, for a price of 7650.

Another thread has recently asked the question "how did a first level wizard pay for his spellbook?". Asserting that the 3 first level spells and all core Cantrips scribed into a book should cost about 2200 gold.

The conclusion to this thread was the idea that all wizards have school debt and adventure to pay off their training costs. Looks like the broom is just added to this debt. Or perhaps wizards rent them? Hahaha. Almost 10k debt just to be a first level wizard. Cheaper than modern colleges.

dascarletm
2016-01-11, 03:54 PM
So I've found what I was looking for. In the Dmg in a side bar it says you can reduce price by 30% for requiring an alignment or class and by 10% for requiring a skill. So following a loose interpretation I could get the broom for 45% of the original cost, 17000, for a price of 7650.

Another thread has recently asked the question "how did a first level wizard pay for his spellbook?". Asserting that the 3 first level spells and all core Cantrips scribed into a book should cost about 2200 gold.

The conclusion to this thread was the idea that all wizards have school debt and adventure to pay off their training costs. Looks like the broom is just added to this debt. Or perhaps wizards rent them? Hahaha. Almost 10k debt just to be a first level wizard. Cheaper than modern colleges.

Well in the books only wealthy wizards owned their own broom. The others were owned by the college to learn on.

Warrnan
2016-01-11, 04:02 PM
Ah, yes that makes sense. Like band instruments.