PDA

View Full Version : Wizard with some sword fighting skills

BartonBlackburn
2016-01-11, 01:12 PM
Let's figure I want to create Gandalf, a 12th level wizard with some decent sword fighting skills (close to a rogue or cleric). What kind of build can you suggest? I don't mind to sacrifice 1 or 2 caster levels in order to get the flavor. Base class has to be Wizard or Sorcerer (not Eldritch), and TOB is available.

J-H
2016-01-11, 01:20 PM
Gandalf a Maiar (NG Outsider) with a bunch of levels in Outsider HD (d8hp, full BAB, 8 skill points/level). Maiar racial traits include +4 STR, +6 CON, +4 DEX, +8 INT, +8 WIS, +8 CHA, and spellcasting as a sorcerer or druid (selected at character creation) of 1/2 their level.

Hal0Badger
2016-01-11, 01:30 PM
If it is not Gandalf, but a Gandalf-like character;

Wizard 5(Sorcerer 6)/Fighter 1/Eldritch Knight 2(or 1 if you go sorcerer)/Abjurant Champion 5 and EK for the rest should do the trick I guess? It gives 18/20 casting, and 17/20 BAB progression, as well as swordplay+defensive abilities (like quickened shield spell).

Fighter can be replaced with warblade if you wish.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-11, 02:39 PM
My favored Gandalf is Wizard 6 / Ruathar 3 / abjurant champion 3.

Here you have a wizard who is handy with a longsword and is a friend to elves.

At level 12 he has 8 bab, slightly less than a rogue. In two levels he as caught up completely and has yet to lose a caster level.

BartonBlackburn
2016-01-11, 02:46 PM
My favored Gandalf is Wizard 6 / Ruthar 3 / abjurant champion 3.
Great build! Really flavorful. What about the Abjurant Champion? Where are the cons of that class compared to plain Wizard?

Red Fel
2016-01-11, 02:54 PM
Great build! Really flavorful. What about the Abjurant Champion? Where are the cons of that class compared to plain Wizard?

There, uh... aren't any? With the exception of summon familiar and scribe spell (which the Wizard gets at level 1), bonus feats, and spells, a Wizard has no class features. None.

The Abjurant Champion gains spells known, spells per day, and CL, at every level, as a Wizard. It has full BAB (as opposed to Wizard's 1/2 BAB), and the same save progression as the Wizard. It also has actual class features. All you're losing out on is one Bonus Feat, and the tax to get into the class.

In short, Ab. Champ. is basically a strict upgrade.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-11, 03:16 PM
Ab Champion NORMALLY takes a hit as most classes struggle to qualify for it due to weapon prof and BAB issues. Most builds solve this by doing a dip in fighter and then going spellsword for a single level. Ruathar simplify this by being a zero prereq class that grants prof with a longsword. You enter Ab Champ a little later, but not losing caster levels is nice.

Thrice Dead Cat
2016-01-11, 04:11 PM
My favored Gandalf is Wizard 6 / Ruathar 3 / abjurant champion 3.

Here you have a wizard who is handy with a longsword and is a friend to elves.

At level 12 he has 8 bab, slightly less than a rogue. In two levels he as caught up completely and has yet to lose a caster level.

You can actually qualify for Ruathar with as little as a single level with some trickery, three levels if you feel less terrible.

MisterKaws
2016-01-11, 04:29 PM
Stalwart Battle Sorcerer+Abjurant Champion, that's a clear winner right there, and Gandalf really looks like a spontaneous spellcaster for me, even though he does have a pointy hat.

johnbragg
2016-01-11, 04:37 PM
Let's figure I want to create Gandalf, a 12th level wizard with some decent sword fighting skills (close to a rogue or cleric). What kind of build can you suggest? I don't mind to sacrifice 1 or 2 caster levels in order to get the flavor. Base class has to be Wizard or Sorcerer (not Eldritch), and TOB is available.

If you're looking for something simpler, and don't mind a lack of optimization, there's the Unearthed Arcana BAttle Sorcerer. Cleric BAB and HD, one martial weapon, light armor. (No shields by SRD RAW, but you're holding a staff anyway in your off-hand.) USing the sorcerer tables, with one off of every number.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm

Andezzar
2016-01-11, 06:12 PM
Ab Champion NORMALLY takes a hit as most classes struggle to qualify for it due to weapon prof and BAB issues. Most builds solve this by doing a dip in fighter and then going spellsword for a single level. Ruathar simplify this by being a zero prereq class that grants prof with a longsword. You enter Ab Champ a little later, but not losing caster levels is nice.As someone said before, Gandalf is an outsider. So he is proficient with all martial weapons (required for Eldritch Knight). So you can go with Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 3/Abjurant champion 5/X 7. This nets you BAB 17 CL 19, if X is Eldritch Knight or another full BAB, (nearly) full casting class. Spellsword is out though as this character is not proficient with armor. Gandalf wears robes anyways.

I don't remember if there is a connection between Maiar and Elves so maybe you could get away with an Elf and the Otherwordly feat. Then you could make him an Elven Generalist Wizard with lots of feats for DCS.

If you're looking for something simpler, and don't mind a lack of optimization, there's the Unearthed Arcana BAttle Sorcerer. Cleric BAB and HD, one martial weapon, light armor. (No shields by SRD RAW, but you're holding a staff anyway in your off-hand.) USing the sorcerer tables, with one off of every number.Gandalf however is not a sorcerer. He is most likely a wizard, possibly with the ACF that lets you smoke your spells, instead of carrying them around in a spellbook.

John Longarrow
2016-01-11, 07:06 PM
I always thought of Gandalf more as a bard for game mechanics. Not a flashy caster, but when he did indulge it was for entertainment. He's also very persuasive. Instead of using songs, he uses oration to stoke the fires of those going into a fight. Plus he seems to know a bit about everything (bardic Knowledge) and is definitely known as a story teller.

Xerlith
2016-01-11, 07:58 PM
I always thought of Gandalf more as a bard for game mechanics. Not a flashy caster, but when he did indulge it was for entertainment. He's also very persuasive. Instead of using songs, he uses oration to stoke the fires of those going into a fight. Plus he seems to know a bit about everything (bardic Knowledge) and is definitely known as a story teller.

This. You could even argue he wasn't that wise, but that may be a stretch. Once you stat him as a proper Bard (maybe with a Ring of Elemental Command (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#ringofElementalCommandFire) :smalltongue:), you can't really seem to think of him as anything else. Maybe add a smithereen of Paladin levels (two or so). Or a gestalt Bard//Paladin, that works, too.

Knowledge? Check.
Great persuasive skills? Check.
The ability to inspire courage in the hearts of people (heh)? Check.
Spellcasting? Well... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/pyrotechnics.htm)

Bonus points if you take Arcane Disciple: Balance and go into Sacred Exorcist.

ben-zayb
2016-01-11, 07:59 PM
He is most likely a wizard, possibly with the ACF that lets you smoke your spells, instead of carrying them around in a spellbook.No wonder he managed to stalemate the Balrog in the spellslinging part of their battle.

Prime32
2016-01-11, 08:00 PM
Nah, he's a 6th-level paladin with the Educated feat and a Ring of Fire Elemental Command. Good melee combat ability, Detect Evil, Smite Evil, Aura of Courage (people are described as getting braver in his presence even when they don't know he's there), Special Mount, and minor spells like making things glow. Maybe that ACF that replaces remove disease with remove curse. He's nowhere near the insane power level of a 12th-level D&D character, let alone a 12th-level D&D wizard.

John Longarrow
2016-01-11, 08:08 PM
Nah, he's a 6th-level paladin with the Educated feat and a Ring of Fire Elemental Command. Good melee combat ability, Detect Evil, Smite Evil, Aura of Courage (people are described as getting braver in his presence even when they don't know he's there), Special Mount, and minor spells like making things glow. Maybe that ACF that replaces remove disease with remove curse. He's nowhere near the insane power level of a 12th-level D&D character, let alone a 12th-level wizard.

Except he was known for putting on great fireworks displays. From the descriptions they were either illusions or augmented by illusions. Plus his talent with blowing smoke rings was waaay over what you can do without prestidigitation or some other more powerful magic.

Âmesang
2016-01-11, 09:26 PM
Perhaps he took the Sword of the Arcane Order feat? Just replace Mystra with Varda.

LordOfCain
2016-01-11, 09:27 PM
You can actually qualify for Ruathar with as little as a single level with some trickery, three levels if you feel less terrible.

A way I thought of is a cleric 1 with Mad Priest. Not arcane spell casting although....