PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Acts of God? Think again...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-13, 04:37 PM
Hail Devil

http://my.photosleeve.com/TheVorpalTribble-albums/album03/aid.jpg

Huge Outsider (evil, extraplanar, lawful)
Hit Dice: 14d8+70 (133 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 30 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 29 (+6 dex, +15 natural, -2 size), touch 14, flat-footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+30
Attack: Claw +20 melee (2d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +20 melee (2d8+8)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Hail storm, spell-like abilities, storm form, summon, tears of the damned
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity, fire, and poison, murksight, outsider traits, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, see in darkness, spell resistance 26
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +15, Will +18
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 22, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 28, Cha 17
Skills: Concentration +22, Hide +15, Intimidate +20, Jump +16, Knowledge (any 2) +19, Move Silently +23, Listen +26, Spot +26, Spellcraft +19, Survival +18 (+20 following tracks and +28 to predict the weather)
Feats: Brutal Throw (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Brutal_Throw,CAd), Far Shot, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Storm Magic (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Storm_Magic,Sto)(B), Throw Anything (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Throw_Anything,CW)
Environment: Nine Hells of Baator
Organization: Solitary, Blow (3-5), Zephyr (6-10)
Challenge Rating: 15
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: 15-21 HD (Huge), 22-46 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

This appears as an enormous grey-skinned man, rippling with fat and muscle, with a head far too large for even his massive body whoes mouth is pursed shut and his cheeks bulging as if with contained breath. From his wrists to his ankles and running along his body is a great flap of leathery, puckered skin that catches the wind. In spite of his bulk he appears slightly transluscent and insubstantial, bobbing lightly with each step. Slitted eyes like that of a bird of prey bulge from within the gristle above his cheeks. Enormous talons curve out from his knuckles and over his stubby fingers.

Whenever a storm seems to persue its victims, when crops are flattened, and homes ripped, one might see a hail devil in the midst of it, enjoying the rampant destruction and pain. Often the devil will make a deal to save a mortal victim from a sure death. With this comes a price. For the saving of crop, home and family it is nothing less than their eternal souls. Boats whoes crew was saved soon become known as cursed vessles and farms the birthing place of wicked creatures and poisoned produce.

When not plaguing mortals they reside within the hellish storms of the hells whoes winds wail with the voices of the doomed souls.

Hail devils are seemingly the most chaotic of the devils, but they keep to their word, though the word of the hail devil is as flighty as the gales they dance within and full of loopholes they can whistle right through.

A hail devil is about 18 feet tall though weighs only around 900 lbs. They speak Infernal, Auran, Celestial, and Draconic.

Combat
Hail devils tend to surround themselves with fog and change into their miasma shape, coming upon their opponents unseen to strike them over and over. If hard put they resort to spells or even summoning other fiendish beings to aid in the battle.

Hail (Su): As a standard action a Hail Devil can freeze the water in the air into 1d10 compressed balls of razor-edged ice and hurl them with a 60 foot range increment. Each ball deals 1d4+8 points of damage plus 1d6 unholy damage to all creatures in a 10 foot area the devil aims for (reflex DC 25 negates) as they explode violently even if they miss. As a move action the devil may summon forth a sharp gust of wind to hurl the balls in its stead, increasing the increment to 120 feet.

Master of the Tempest (Ex): A hail devil can walk or fly (even in Stormform) through natural or magical storms at its regular speed, completely unaffected by high winds (including supernaturally created winds), pounding precipitation or waves, objects driven by the wind (which always seems to miss the devil), great claps of thunder, natural bolts of lightening, or any other natural storm phenomena.

Murksight (Ex): A hail devil's sight is not affected by mists, fogs, clouds, whiteout or similiar conditions that would normally limit seeing distance.

See in Darkness (Su): Hail devils can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 13th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
At will - Call Lightening, Curse Water, Fog Cloud
3/day - Control Wind, Solid Fog
1/day - Control Weather, Whirlwind

Storm Form (Su): A hail devil can assume the form of a great flickering miasma. It can switch forms once per round as a free action. A hail devil in storm form can fly at a speed of 60 feet (perfect). Anyone who occupies the same space as the devil at the end of their move automatically takes 4d6 damage, half of which is electricity damage and the other unholy damage. The ability is otherwise similar to a gaseous form spell (caster level 7th).

Summon (Sp): Twice per day a hail devil can attempt to summon 1d10 hell hounds, 1d6 hell cats, 1d4 nessian warhounds, a half-fiend greater air elemental with a 50% chance of success, or another hail devil with a 20% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 5th-level spell.

Tears of the Damned (Su): Once per week a hail devil may curse a storm, natural or supernatural. All rain produced by this storm is unholy water, automatically dealing 2d4 points of damage per round to any good-aligned outsider in the storm's vicinity. This water only remains unholy for as long as the storm lasts.

Skills: A hail devil gains a +10 bonus to his Survival checks to predict the weather.

Ceres
2007-06-13, 04:58 PM
Man, that is so cool. Almost felt a chill down my spine when reading it :smalleek:

Somehow I feel that this demon would fit perfectly into a Norwegian folk-tale. Coming down from the mountain, lumbering through villages at night, surrounded by horrible storms. The next day, there would only be a mound of snow and hail where used to be a town.

Don't like the boomerang, though. Makes him feel like Bizarro-Link. :smalltongue:

Dodo345
2007-06-13, 04:59 PM
Darn it!
now the stormes are stated!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-13, 07:35 PM
Don't like the boomerang, though. Makes him feel like Bizarro-Link. :smalltongue:
Who's that? :smallconfused:

But I mean, what would YOU give a storm-based devil?

(And no, not 'Whatever he wanted' :smalltongue: )

Thexare Blademoon
2007-06-13, 07:42 PM
But I mean, what would YOU give a storm-based devil?

A javelin? I think thunderstorms can produce hail, and I know they produce lightning, which is generally a javelin when in weaponf ormat.

brian c
2007-06-13, 07:57 PM
A javelin? I think thunderstorms can produce hail, and I know they produce lightning, which is generally a javelin when in weaponf ormat.

My dad has a master's in meteorology, and I'll attest to that. Hail comes from thunderstorms.

Anyway though, nice one VT. I agree that the boomerang seems kinda strange, but I love the concept and the abilities that you've given it seem to fit perfectly. :smallcool:

jindra34
2007-06-13, 07:58 PM
What about a sling instead of a boomerang...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-13, 08:08 PM
Forests, check, boats, ckeck, river, check, hills, check, oceans, check, and now HAIL!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-14, 08:22 AM
Yeah, but they don't return :smallwink:

My dad has a master's in meteorology, and I'll attest to that. Hail comes from thunderstorms.
I live in a stormy state and I will also attest to that.

What about a sling instead of a boomerang...
I dunno, he might as well just use his hail ability then... I'm thinking of just taking away his manufactured weapons period.

Ceres
2007-06-14, 08:29 AM
Link is the main character in the Zelda-games. In the last one, Twilight Princess, he uses a boomerang that creates a whirlwind where it travels. I guess there is really nothing wrong with a boomerang. Just that it kind of fits more into an aboriginal/dry plains setting, and not in the frozen mountains, where I imagined this demon would reside.

On another note, I found the creature this demon reminded me of:

Mårran, Hufsa, or The Groke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Groke)

http://www.geocities.com/lindashippert/moomin/groke.gif

Abjurer
2007-06-14, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I'm not feeling his boomerang either. You might just stick with hail.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-14, 09:08 AM
No, this isn't some blizzard demon. Cold places do not tend to have thunderstorms. Its the warmer locales. Hail is formed by the winds being so powerful they lift the water particles to where the atmosphere is frigid (regardless of terrain) and keeps bouncing them back and forth until they form into ice clumps too heavy to remain afloat.

You can easily have hail storms in the desert.

Ceres
2007-06-14, 09:17 AM
^^ If you are referring to my post, I am well aware that blizzards may occur anywhere a warm front meets a cold front. However, as a Norwegian, my mind automatically linked the creature to the demons and trolls of snow and ice in Norwegian mythology (hence my dislike for the boomerangs). However, this is just how I personally feel about it, and I don't have any real, rational arguments as to why it should be as I imagine it.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-14, 09:25 AM
Here, this might be more fitting to what you are thinking of :smallwink:

The Bloosnjor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26258)

Ceres
2007-06-14, 09:57 AM
Oooh. Cool. You really have made everything :smallsmile:

Then I understand you wanting to make this fellow different. Good on yer!

SurlySeraph
2007-06-14, 02:27 PM
I'd take away any manufactured weapons and just have him stick with the hail attack. Overall though, this is as amazing as is usual for you. I especially like Tears of the Damned. Should unholy water also do damage to positive-energy undead, since holy water damages normal undead?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-14, 05:55 PM
I especially like Tears of the Damned. Should unholy water also do damage to positive-energy undead, since holy water damages normal undead?
Aye, Deathless would also be affected, though there are so few of those I didn't think to mention them :smallwink:

DraPrime
2007-06-14, 06:02 PM
I especially like the storm form. PCs see big storm cloud and don't think much of it. Then it flies into them and does serious electric damege. Then suddenly BAM a devil pops up and starts to wreak havoc. This is definately one of the better homebrew fiends I've seen.

DragonTounge
2007-06-14, 07:32 PM
Since the hail does 1d6 unholy damage, would that heal undead?
Thought about putting this on MitP II?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-15, 12:21 PM
Since the hail does 1d6 unholy damage, would that heal undead?
Thought about putting this on MitP II?
Unholy damage is just an unamed evil damage. Undead are healed by negative energy, not evil.

Matthew
2007-06-16, 09:51 PM
Couple of queries:

Skills = [17 x (8 + 2)] = 170

Concentration 17(22)
Hide 17(23) - No size modifier?
Intimidate 17(20) - Listed as 17(23), where is the extra +3 coming from?
Jump 8(16)
Knowledge (A) 17(19)
Knowledge (B) 17(19)
Move Silently 17(23)
Listen 17(26)
Spot 17(26)
Spellcraft 17(19)
Survival 9(18)

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-22, 09:01 AM
Ah, thanks, yeah, Hide and Intimidate were off. Adjusted.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-06-22, 10:35 AM
Should his attack bonus be: Claw +20 melee ?

Bab +14 + 8 str -2 size = +20, unless he's supposed to have a weapon focus feat or something.

Otherwise, nice creation!

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-22, 11:13 AM
Should his attack bonus be: Claw +20 melee ?

Bab +14 + 8 str -2 size = +20, unless he's supposed to have a weapon focus feat or something.

Otherwise, nice creation!
Ok, I see the problem now. I made this dude Large at first and later changed to Huge and didn't account for it. Noticed a couple other things to that haven't been adjusted.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-15, 05:16 PM
As it is has been storming nonstop for weeks, and yesterday parts of my capital city was demolished by a tornado, and today there have been over 30 tornadoes spotted just in my general part of the state, felt the urge to give this guy a bump.

(Also no one has yet figured out the joke in this creature's stats)

hylian chozo
2008-03-15, 05:30 PM
(Also no one has yet figured out the joke in this creature's stats)

Would it be that he has a fly speed of 30 (average)? or maybe his +20 to following tracks and no track feat?

Collin152
2008-03-15, 07:17 PM
I notice that it has Darkvision to 60 feet and See in Darkness, but that isn't epecially funny...

SilverClawShift
2008-03-15, 07:31 PM
Is there like, a Vorpal Tribble compendium somewhere? Everything you make is awesome.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-15, 07:36 PM
or maybe his +20 to following tracks and no track feat?
That's just kind of standard to add to the survival skill even if you can't use it.

Is there like, a Vorpal Tribble compendium somewhere?
Yeah, over at Wizards. Just click my nick and go to my 'homepage'.

Collin152
2008-03-15, 07:39 PM
I've gone over the stats, like, three times. What's the joke?
is it that it has Storm Magic but no spellcasting abilities? Or does that feat also improve it's spell lke abilities?
Or that its advancement says 16-21 HD but it only has 14 to start with, leaving the fiftheenth hit die lost in limbo?