PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Protect My Spellbook! (v2.0)

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-11, 05:21 PM
A threadcromancied conversation (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?276491-(3-5)-Protect-My-Spellbook) has recently rekindled interest, but was then killed by the heartless forum mods, to which a dozen voices cried out in protest and were suddenly silenced. This thread is to re-continue the conversation.

Kraken
2016-01-11, 06:22 PM
I've always been interested in ways to be able to summon your spellbook to you at will, or at least multiple times a day reliably, even if it's been taken. Getting instant summons as an SLA works, for instance, but it has the very significant drawback of failing to summon the book if it's possessed by another. You can combine this method with trapping the book with teleport object, to get it away from a creature, then using instant summons once it's unattended. This method fails if they manage to get it into an antimagic field or area where teleprtation is blocked.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-12, 12:14 AM
You don't really have to protect your spellbook if you have enough copies.

You could always stuff your spellbook inside a bag (along with all the other stuff you want more of), create yourself a demiplane filled with quintessence, cast a gate spell set to the portal aspect which leads to your demiplane, summon a celestial monkey and tell it to hold the bag loosely above its head so it's easily grabbed, have two party members readying actions to 1.) disarm, and 2.) bull rush, and then use a mirror of opposition on the celestial monkey. Your party mates disarm it and then bull rush it into the quintessence demiplane. You get to keep the duplicated gear, including your spellbook. Now repeat after stuffing the new items into the old bag so you clone the original gear AND the newly cloned gear. You can do this 3/day per mirror, and if you have two mirrors you can stuff one of them in the bag to clone it, too.

Debihuman
2016-01-14, 01:49 PM
Make it a bonded spellbook. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm Technically it's a cheat since spellbooks aren't in a category that allows for bonding but you might convince your DM to allow it.

Debby

shaikujin
2016-01-15, 04:40 AM
My contribution:

Using MIC's guidelines to add effects of 1 item to another, we add Aureon’s Spellshard (6,250 gp, from one of the Eberron books) to a Psionic Tattoo (or whatever items you have that cannot be simply take/stolen). This holds the equivalent of 500 pages of spells. Wizards can imprint spells in it without paying usual material component cost.

But make sure it flies with your GM. They might have plot hooks that relies on the player's wizard not having access to a spellbook.

ryu
2016-01-15, 04:54 AM
My contribution:

Using MIC's guidelines to add effects of 1 item to another, we add Aureon’s Spellshard (6,250 gp, from one of the Eberron books) to a Psionic Tattoo (or whatever items you have that cannot be simply take/stolen). This holds the equivalent of 500 pages of spells. Wizards can imprint spells in it without paying usual material component cost.

But make sure it flies with your GM. They might have plot hooks that relies on the player's wizard not having access to a spellbook.

My usual response to such antics is ehhhhhhhhhh good luck with that. The race to separate a wizard from his spellbook without killing him is impossible without fiat. If you're really good at wizard it's similarly impossible even if you're briefly dead. I've hid them in all manner of places with the power of wizard. These include but are not limited to: in the bloodstream, under a tooth, in my underwear, in pockets, in... pockets, transformed into random indistinguishable objects and hidden, launched into space, my own demiplane, in my stomach. in my familiar's stomach, in the stomach of every member of the party including animal companions, inside the king's stomach with his knowledge and consent, inside the other king's stomach with neither of those things, under my hat, in my shoe, literally made the book my skin, went eidetic, and even managed to hide one in sigil that you couldn't get to without assaulting the lady of pain's modron wannabe minions.

shaikujin
2016-01-15, 05:12 AM
I want to hear more on the bloodstream portion, how is it done?

ryu
2016-01-15, 06:19 AM
I want to hear more on the bloodstream portion, how is it done?

Polymorph any object cycle the book to be permanently incredibly tiny, enchant against standard environmental issues, inject directly into the bloodstream by fabricating a syringe, and retrieve with basic retrieval enchantments. I'm honestly more surprised you didn't get confused at how I turned the lady of pain into a glorified attack dog.

gorfnab
2016-01-15, 02:56 PM
Easy Bake Wizard (in my signature) don't use spellbooks. However this only works if your DM allows Dragon Magazine.

Melcar
2016-01-16, 05:15 AM
I've always been interested in ways to be able to summon your spellbook to you at will, or at least multiple times a day reliably, even if it's been taken. Getting instant summons as an SLA works, for instance, but it has the very significant drawback of failing to summon the book if it's possessed by another. You can combine this method with trapping the book with teleport object, to get it away from a creature, then using instant summons once it's unattended. This method fails if they manage to get it into an antimagic field or area where teleprtation is blocked.

There is a feat for that: Hands of the Mage