PDA

View Full Version : Poison Immunity and...drugs?

SangoProduction
2016-01-11, 08:35 PM
I'm almost 100% positive, but I'm going to ask anyway. Drugs count as poisons, right?

Reason I ask: My character has poison immunity as a racial trait (specifically says no poisons can affect them). We were scavenging, and I tested the "food" we found, knowing that I have immunity. And that's how the situation came up.

Also, side question, Outsider traits, here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Outsider_Type), say that I don't need to sleep. That's not immunity to sleep-related spells is it? It almost certainly isn't but still asking.

Necroticplague
2016-01-11, 08:47 PM
Yep. To quote BoVD:

Drugs function like poisons, allowing the imbiber an initialand a secondary saving throws to resist their effects. Delay poison, neutralize poison, and similar effects negate or end a drug’s effects, but they do not restore hit points, ability scores, or other damage caused by the substance. I'm pretty sure Poison Immunity would fall under "similar effects", negating the drug.

SangoProduction
2016-01-11, 08:51 PM
Yep. To quote BoVD:
I'm pretty sure Poison Immunity would fall under "similar effects", negating the drug.

Thought so, thanks.

LordOfCain
2016-01-11, 09:24 PM
Now you can't play a drunken master. Oh no, that's the best PrC evaaaar!!! :smallbiggrin:

ben-zayb
2016-01-11, 10:28 PM
Now you can't play a drunken master. Oh no, that's the best PrC evaaaar!!! :smallbiggrin:
That's like saying you can't use Fujian White Crane style without being an actual crane.

Crake
2016-01-12, 12:09 AM

Sure you can, characters can voluntarily lower immunities, so you can still get smashed without issue, I mean how else would demons get high AF smoking devilweed? On a side note: if you're immune to poison then how would you actually know if there's something wrong with the food when you taste it? You wouldn't feel any averse effects?

Necroticplague
2016-01-12, 12:20 AM
Sure you can, characters can voluntarily lower immunities, so you can still get smashed without issue, I mean how else would demons get high AF smoking devilweed? On a side note: if you're immune to poison then how would you actually know if there's something wrong with the food when you taste it? You wouldn't feel any averse effects?

At least in my own experience, even drugs one is immune to (Horrific resistance to 'downers' here) can be tasted, because they have, well, a taste. Even if Diphenhydramine doesn't have an effect on me, I could still taste the very bitter flavor.

Andezzar
2016-01-12, 12:53 AM
At least in my own experience, even drugs one is immune to (Horrific resistance to 'downers' here) can be tasted, because they have, well, a taste. Even if Diphenhydramine doesn't have an effect on me, I could still taste the very bitter flavor.But could you tell it apart from other bitter substances?

Also, where does it say that you can lower your immunity?

Crake
2016-01-12, 02:31 AM
At least in my own experience, even drugs one is immune to (Horrific resistance to 'downers' here) can be tasted, because they have, well, a taste. Even if Diphenhydramine doesn't have an effect on me, I could still taste the very bitter flavor.

If you know what to look for I suppose, would require the appropriate check i'd imagine.

But could you tell it apart from other bitter substances?

It's somewhere in the phb, the example being elves lowering their immunity to sleep.

It does come with some silly things like undead being able to lower resistances to various things, which is why i usually add a homebrew addition to the rule that type based immunities cannot be lowered.

SangoProduction
2016-01-12, 05:48 AM

Can you tell the difference between an apple and a packet of sugar?

Andezzar
2016-01-12, 05:53 AM
Sure, but can you tell the difference between an older breed of chicory and a newer one (less bitterness) and an added bitter poison?

If you know what to look for I suppose, would require the appropriate check i'd imagine.
Profession (Taster)?

SangoProduction
2016-01-12, 05:56 AM
Sure, but can you tell the difference between an older breed of chicory and a newer one (less bitterness) and an added bitter poison?

Taste is not a linear scale. Trust me.

Andezzar
2016-01-12, 06:05 AM
Maybe not, but If you hide a poison specifically in something that either tastes very similar or mask the taste of the poison you will have a hard time.

SangoProduction
2016-01-12, 06:25 AM
Maybe not, but If you hide a poison specifically in something that either tastes very similar or mask the taste of the poison you will have a hard time.

That goes for all things. Anyway, this was a scavenging run, not raiding a assassins's or master cook's house. The primary poison we were looking to avoid was rot and such, which is pretty easy to taste.

Âmesang
2016-01-13, 07:33 AM
Profession (Taster)?

Taste is not a linear scale. Trust me.
John Lee: Supertaster!

Nothing tastes the same (Nothing tastes the same)
To a Supertaster (Supertaster)
When he tastes a pear (Tastes a pear)
It's like a hundred pears (It's like a million pears)

Feddlefew
2016-01-13, 08:53 AM
Unless your character is organic (and a vertebrate) and the immunity comes from magic, I'd say they wouldn't be effected by drugs period. On the other hand, D&D's poison and disease systems aren't exactly bastions of realism, so...

Or pick a poison which is naturally delicious, like most heavy metals and many deadly mushrooms.

Inevitability
2016-01-13, 08:59 AM

You actually can. Drink Like a Demon specifically says your body handles alcohol differently than it normally would.

Aleolus
2016-01-13, 09:59 AM
You actually can. Drink Like a Demon specifically says your body handles alcohol differently than it normally would.

Except one of the (fluff) requirements to become a Drunken Master is to engage in and survive through a night of drunken revelry with another DrMa without getting arrested. You can't engage in drunken revelry if you can't get drunk to begin with

SangoProduction
2016-01-13, 10:04 AM
Except one of the (fluff) requirements to become a Drunken Master is to engage in and survive through a night of drunken revelry with another DrMa without getting arrested. You can't engage in drunken revelry if you can't get drunk to begin with

Just find a drunken wizard to make you drunk through mind control.

Inevitability
2016-01-13, 10:30 AM

Behold the power of obscure definitions!

Drunken: unsteady or lurching as if from alcoholic intoxication

Note the 'as if'. Just lurch around a bit while reveling and you should qualify.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-13, 10:36 AM

I don't think I've ever seen anyone make a saving throw VS a healing potion, hoping they'd fail. It's very weird biologically, but rules-wise it makes sense.

Andezzar
2016-01-13, 10:50 AM
There are rules for voluntarily giving up a saving throw, but I am not aware of a rule that allows creatures to lower their immunities.

Aleolus
2016-01-13, 11:18 AM
There are rules for voluntarily giving up a saving throw, but I am not aware of a rule that allows creatures to lower their immunities.

I think the idea for it is based on the fact creatures with SR can voluntarily lower it to receive a beneficial spell

AmberVael
2016-01-13, 11:25 AM
There's a specific line on the topic about spells, at least.

Its here, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow) under 'Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw.'

Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw
A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

This is found on page 177 of the PHB, which makes it significantly clearer by adding the parenthetical phrase: "for example, an elf's resistance to sleep effects."

This is specific to spells though - I'm not aware of a broader rule on the subject that would apply to poison/drugs.

Inevitability
2016-01-13, 12:33 PM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone make a saving throw VS a healing potion, hoping they'd fail. It's very weird biologically, but rules-wise it makes sense.

Say you mix a potion of CLW through a vampire's goblet of blood. The vampire drinks it, and must make a saving throw to resist the positive energy damage.

Alex12
2016-01-13, 11:14 PM
Say you mix a potion of CLW through a vampire's goblet of blood. The vampire drinks it, and must make a saving throw to resist the positive energy damage.

That'd be hoping they succeed (and the reason CLW has a saving throw), not hoping they fail. If you're alive (and don't have something unusual like Tomb-Tainted Soul or something to that effect) then when you drink a potion of CLW, you're not going to pass the saving throw and not get the effect, you're just going to automagically get the effect.

Andezzar
2016-01-14, 01:09 AM
Read the description of CLW again. If undead are exposed to it they take 1d8+CL damage if they fail the save or half that if they succeed.

Alex12
2016-01-14, 02:14 AM
Read the description of CLW again. If undead are exposed to it they take 1d8+CL damage if they fail the save or half that if they succeed.
I'm pretty sure everyone in this subforum knows how CLW works on undead.
The original quote was:

Undead will make a saving throw vs a healing potion, but they won't be hoping to fail. Nobody drinks a potion of CLW and rolls their saving throw while hoping to fail.

Andezzar
2016-01-14, 02:32 AM
A misunderstanding on my part. I thought you meant the person who put the CLW potion into the goblet of blood was not hoping that the vampire drinking the potion would fail the save. Of course the vampire would hope to succeed.

ShurikVch
2016-01-14, 01:31 PM
You actually can. Drink Like a Demon specifically says your body handles alcohol differently than it normally would.Which explain the Bender:
http://global3.memecdn.com/I-need-plenty-wholesome-nutritious-alcohol_o_75080.jpg

dascarletm
2016-01-14, 03:51 PM

Can you tell the difference between an apple and a packet of sugar?
I think the real question is...

Necroticplague can tell the taste of downer drugs,
but can they see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Profession (Chef) check vs. Survival, Perception, Knowledge (Cullinary Arts), or any skill the player gives a decent enough case that it makes sense.

SangoProduction
2016-01-14, 04:52 PM
I think the real question is...

Necroticplague can tell the taste of downer drugs,
but can they see why kids love the taste of Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Profession (Chef) check vs. Survival, Perception, Knowledge (Culinary Arts), or any skill the player gives a decent enough case that it makes sense.

And then add in whatever bonuses would be due for being "native to a plane where poison is omnipresent."

Zakerst
2016-01-14, 05:48 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone in this subforum knows how CLW works on undead.
The original quote was:

Undead will make a saving throw vs a healing potion, but they won't be hoping to fail. Nobody drinks a potion of CLW and rolls their saving throw while hoping to fail.

I can think of one case off the top of my head would be the forsaker, who can't by choice be affected by magical healing potions but if one failed the save they would still get the benefits without losing their class features, weak sauce they may be.