PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Suggestions for building a Kobold Bushwhacker

lynxd80
2016-01-11, 09:20 PM
So,... I'm playing in a game where my current character may end up dying and I wanted to go ahead and create a "Back-up" in case such should happen. I've never played a Gunslinger before, but I've seen a friend play it and it seemed fun! Furthermore, I LOVE Kobolds. Therefore, I feel like playing a Bushwhacker for my next Character might be a blast! However, I can't really find any resources or guides that really tell me how I can get the most bang for my buck out of it...

I was wondering if anyone might be familiar enough to help me construct a a good build. I definately want to play on that "Tiny sniper" sort fo vibe it gives me... Any help or advice would be wonderful! Thanks!

~Lynx D.

Note: Playing in a "25 pt. Buy" Game. Thinking of going with a stat score of Str - 6, Dex - 18, Con - 10, Int - 14, Wis - 16, Cha - 8. All ears there, too. Also thinking about taking the "Wild Forest Kobold" trait for "Crafty" and the "Kobold Sniper" and "Merciless Precision" feats.

avr
2016-01-12, 12:21 AM
6 Str is really low. If your game tracks encumbrance in any way you'll need another point or two. Fortunately you don't need all that Int.

The first 4 feats you want (IMO) are Point-blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Reload and Rapid Shot. Since your archetype loses the bonus feats and you're not a human, your next free feat is at level 9 unless you dip into fighter or something for a couple levels, or you multiclass out of Gunslinger entirely. There is an argument for taking just 5 levels of the class; you might decide to go gunslinger 5/slayer 15 perhaps.

Florian
2016-01-12, 06:03 AM
Iīm more or less "so-so" on the Bushwacker archetype. Ranged SA is too fiddly on a Gunslinger and can be done better with a Slayer (having the Amateur Gunslinger feat).
In addition, the Gunslinger class is one of the very sad examples of a class you actually want to get out once you have reached level 5 with it, while the Bushwacker archetype "locks you in" until at least level 7 so you get long range shifty shot.

So, if you want to stay "mundane", then drop the archetype and go Gunslinger 5/Slayer (rest).
If you want to pack a bit of additional power and utility, go Gunslinger 5/Warpriest (rest).

Geddy2112
2016-01-12, 10:44 AM
6 Str is really low. If your game tracks encumbrance in any way you'll need another point or two. Fortunately you don't need all that Int.

The first 4 feats you want (IMO) are Point-blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Reload and Rapid Shot. Since your archetype loses the bonus feats and you're not a human, your next free feat is at level 9 unless you dip into fighter or something for a couple levels, or you multiclass out of Gunslinger entirely. There is an argument for taking just 5 levels of the class; you might decide to go gunslinger 5/slayer 15 perhaps.
Second a bit more strength and a bit less int, you can get by with 12 int fine and throw charisma down a well. Second said feats, and only 5 levels gunslinger then slayer.

Iīm more or less "so-so" on the Bushwacker archetype. Ranged SA is too fiddly on a Gunslinger and can be done better with a Slayer (having the Amateur Gunslinger feat).
In addition, the Gunslinger class is one of the very sad examples of a class you actually want to get out once you have reached level 5 with it, while the Bushwacker archetype "locks you in" until at least level 7 so you get long range shifty shot.

So, if you want to stay "mundane", then drop the archetype and go Gunslinger 5/Slayer (rest).
If you want to pack a bit of additional power and utility, go Gunslinger 5/Warpriest (rest).
I disagree that you need long range shifty shot-it is nice sure but most fights happen at fairly close range. Again, second 5 levels in gunslinger to get dex to damage then go slayer all the way. Take the sniper slayer archetype and never look back-some of the talents like stealthy sniper mesh well with kobold sniper.

Florian
2016-01-12, 11:21 AM
@Geddy2112:

While I do agree with you on practical premisses, I donīt make any assumptions on what kind of range encounters will start and happen at. (Else generating Encounter distances or the long range (400 ft.+) spells category would not make any sense at all)

"Long Range Shifty Shot" is one of the few "true multipliers" and, naturally, it stacks with others of its kind. As usual, it is factored in after all the fixed boni are stacked up.

- Gunslinger 5/Slayer (Sniper) 2 has a SA range of 40 ft.
- Gunslinger (Buchwacker) 7 has a SA range of 60 ft.
Go further to Gunslinger (Bushwacker) 7/Slayer (Sniper) 2 and you have 80 ft.

Now, disregarding using Greater Invisibility here for a moment, to make use of it, that is based on the "Sniping" rules, therefore Stealth vs. Perception. You gain a hefty -20 on Stealth, but you also gain a scaling -1 on Perception based on each 5 feet of range here, at least working a bit in your favor until you get the right feats online to enhance that further.

It works and is in its way effective if you chose it to be your "thing".

Geddy2112
2016-01-12, 01:14 PM
@ Florian
I agree, as I said, long range shifty shot is nice to have, but it is not required. Certainly it has utility, but the two extra levels in gunslinger are a hard sell to get it. You get the dead shot and startling shot deeds at level 7 too, which are okay. I still think it is better to go gunslinger5/slayer15 but gunslinger7/slayer13 is better. Getting quarry and an advance talent at slayer 14 is better than long range shifty shot IMO, but neither is the explicit right or wrong answer.

Florian
2016-01-12, 01:28 PM
@ Florian
I agree, as I said, long range shifty shot is nice to have, but it is not required. Certainly it has utility, but the two extra levels in gunslinger are a hard sell to get it. You get the dead shot and startling shot deeds at level 7 too, which are okay. I still think it is better to go gunslinger5/slayer15 but gunslinger7/slayer13 is better. Getting quarry and an advance talent at slayer 14 is better than long range shifty shot IMO, but neither is the explicit right or wrong answer.

To clarify something: Is this discussion solely based on the Bushwhacker archetype or not?
I gave a POV when it is the sole aim and listed possible benefits.
So far, the OP has not called the choice of that particular archetype into question.

Me personally, I donīt give a flying monkey manure about the whole sniping and ranged SA thing beyond the points that it has simply a stylish feeling to it and has fringe benefits against ultra-high AC targets.

lynxd80
2016-01-12, 09:41 PM
For myself, as the player: I'm kinda going for "Fun to Rp" while attempting to optimize for usefulness in combat and maybe some small skill niche. I haven't seen the "Slayer" class before, so I think I might look it up. War Priest sounds interesting, too. Note: I'm not against going 5 or 7 levels in then jumping to another class. I, mostly, would like to get the best bang I can for my mental concept of a Cowboy-like kobold firing off shots (whether it be from a mount, cover, the shadows, or Greater Invisibility) at a distance and causing some hurt to whatever foe(s) he should face.

That said, i really appreciate the suggestions and thoughts I'm hearing! I'm going to go research a few things. Feel free to add anymore thoughts, suggestions, or opinions!

~Lynx D.

Florian
2016-01-12, 11:38 PM
For myself, as the player: I'm kinda going for "Fun to Rp" while attempting to optimize for usefulness in combat and maybe some small skill niche. I haven't seen the "Slayer" class before, so I think I might look it up. War Priest sounds interesting, too. Note: I'm not against going 5 or 7 levels in then jumping to another class. I, mostly, would like to get the best bang I can for my mental concept of a Cowboy-like kobold firing off shots (whether it be from a mount, cover, the shadows, or Greater Invisibility) at a distance and causing some hurt to whatever foe(s) he should face.

That said, i really appreciate the suggestions and thoughts I'm hearing! I'm going to go research a few things. Feel free to add anymore thoughts, suggestions, or opinions!

~Lynx D.

Slayer is a mix of Ranger and Rogue, a very combat-heavy Rogue, so to say. If you have a specific campaign (or AP) in mind, it is very easy to customize that class to work with that campaign, picking up Favored Terrain and a version of Favored Enemy for it.

Warpest is a mix of Cleric and Fighter and ranks among the classes with the best pure damage output. MCing Gunslinger with Warpriest is not so much a thing for the spells, but rather replacing Sneak Attack with the vastly more reliable Fervor ability to deal extra damage.

Molosse
2016-01-13, 11:16 PM
You could rock a Kobold Bushwhacker (VMC Rogue). Really solidifies you into that Sniper role, especially if you grab Kobold Sniper and the Sniping feats in the Dirty Trick Toolbox.