PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Battlemaster maneuvers

desero clades
2016-01-11, 10:12 PM
So my DM is letting me practice and develop new maneuvers, I'm not looking for over powered abilities just things that might be fun. Here's a few ideas I have. I'd appreciate feedback and ideas for other maneuvers.

Lasso
Forgoing one of your attacks when you take the attack action and spending a superiority die, you may throw a rope, chain, or other similar object (of at least 30ft length) at a creature within 30ft and attempt to pull them to you. Roll an opposed athletics check and add the superiority die to your result. If you win you can pull the creature up 30ft toward you, if you fail nothing happens. Creatures smaller than you make the athletics check at disadvantage while creatures 2 sizes larger than you make the check with advantage.

Double Hit
Once per turn, when you hit with you melee weapon in your main hand you may spend a superiority die to make an attack with your off hand melee weapon. Add the result of the superiority die to the attack damage of your off hand attack.

Fast Jimmy
2016-01-12, 04:56 AM
Lasso seems fine. One point of clarification - do you have to drag them completely to you? Or can you drag them to any point between the 30 feet and yourself? I see this more useful as a way to drag enemies into AoE or traps than a Scorpion "get over here" move if it costs your attack action.

Double Attack may need a little clarification. Usually using an offhand melee attack uses your Bonus Action, but I'm assuming from this that when you use your superiority dice, this is now part of your Attack Action, correct? if so, can only a player use this if they are a two weapon fighter? Can they then use their Bonus Action to make a second offhand attack, or must they use their Bonus Action for something else? Also, offhand attacks normally don't allow for adding the Ability Modifier to the Attack roll (unless you have the TWF Fighting Style)... does using this Maneuver work the same way, or will a perk of the maneuver allow the player to add their bonus?

desero clades
2016-01-12, 01:30 PM
Lasso seems fine. One point of clarification - do you have to drag them completely to you? Or can you drag them to any point between the 30 feet and yourself? I see this more useful as a way to drag enemies into AoE or traps than a Scorpion "get over here" move if it costs your attack action.

Double Attack may need a little clarification. Usually using an offhand melee attack uses your Bonus Action, but I'm assuming from this that when you use your superiority dice, this is now part of your Attack Action, correct? if so, can only a player use this if they are a two weapon fighter? Can they then use their Bonus Action to make a second offhand attack, or must they use their Bonus Action for something else? Also, offhand attacks normally don't allow for adding the Ability Modifier to the Attack roll (unless you have the TWF Fighting Style)... does using this Maneuver work the same way, or will a perk of the maneuver allow the player to add their bonus?

I'll try and reword them a bit for clarification.

For lasso yes its supposed to drag enemies up to 30ft towards you, so any point between their current location and you. I think it'd make it a fun little utility maneuver, like you said dragging an enemy over a trap or back into an AoE, or maybe even pulling down a flying enemy.

Double attack does not use your bonus action and yes it is part of your attack action, and yes only a two weapon fighter can use the maneuver. Since you are using the attack action already yes you can use your bonus action to make a second off hand attack. Finally yes you need the TWF style in order to add STR or DEX to your off hand attack.

Thank you for your input!

Michael7123
2016-01-13, 12:01 AM
I really like the Double Attack maneuver. Two-Handed fighters feel somewhat lackluster to me (largely due to the opportunity cost of dual wielding in 5e), and this allows for the strategy to be a bit more viable. I have a dual wielding character that I'll be using fairly soon, and I'll certainly ask to use this maneuver.

Well done!

desero clades
2016-01-13, 03:30 AM
I really like the Double Attack maneuver. Two-Handed fighters feel somewhat lackluster to me (largely due to the opportunity cost of dual wielding in 5e), and this allows for the strategy to be a bit more viable. I have a dual wielding character that I'll be using fairly soon, and I'll certainly ask to use this maneuver.

Well done!

Thank you! Yeah coming from 3.5 to 5e and only getting one off hand attack seemed (like you said lack luster) and honestly pretty strange. I think the cost of superiority die and once a turn limit balances it a bit. I mean two handed people get great weapon master, dual wielders should get something too! Though this does make me want to make more maneuvers for specific styles.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-20, 09:56 AM
Double attack is compared to other maneuvres way too strong. Lasso is fun and really adds something