PDA

View Full Version : Star Elf Banishment

LiL KiNG
2016-01-12, 08:45 AM
Forgive me if this has been covered, but after 2 hours of searching I could not find an answer.

Player in my group had a star elf ranger that as our session ended failed a save against banishment. Now I know by the UE race description she'll go back to their home plane forest, but how do we get her back? Is the character effectively dead at this point?

Thanks in advance.

Fouredged Sword
2016-01-12, 09:08 AM
Well, from your end it's hard. Wish will defiantly do it. It can move any creature from anywhere to anywhere, regardless of planes or local conditions. You can also plane shift and find them yourself.

The more likely situation is that they find their way back themselves. The forest is populated by other star elves. These elves have access to magic, likely including planeshift. A scroll of planeshift costs 1125gp. A scroll of greater teleport to take the player from wherever they end up on the material plane to the location of the party costs 2275gp.

So getting home should cost the player a few weeks of finding resources and about 4000gp.

I would wait a week and see if you get a sending with a message of "Hey guys, back on prm mat. Where the bloody hell did you wander off to in my absence?"

Telonius
2016-01-12, 09:09 AM
There are ways to travel between the planes. The Plane Shift spell is the most notable. If you (or the Star Elf) can manage a casting or two of it, you can get them back. Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck.

Vaz
2016-01-12, 09:17 AM
That seems like a rather haphazard way of dealing with party members, to Banish someone, so it sounds a bit like a plot point; possibly a side quest to find Metal Tuning Forks for the relevant locations and then some Gather Information to find the people or scrolls to port there.

There are several ways to get Plane Shift as well; Jaunter Prestige Class is 3 (4?) levels to get Plane Shift, and gets it as an SLA, Clerics get it at 9th level (5th level spell) so shoukd be available in most major cities, while Planar Binding can get you a Nightmare as a 4th level spell.

LiL KiNG
2016-01-12, 09:18 AM
The scroll is a good idea, though she didn't have one. No one in the party can cast plane shift; party was ranger, rogue, and barbarian. Funds might be able to be raised to pay for casting services though. Since she can be banished can she be summoned?

What a crappy racial feature being extraplanar is... What genius came up with that idea for a pc race.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers so far.

Sian
2016-01-12, 09:22 AM
Also, note that there is a number of otherwise unspecified active portals scattered throughout yuirwood, so it should be relatively simple to find one of those for her ... and then its 'only' a question of finding each other with the Ranger being in some random spot in Yuirwood

UE p 100-101 states this

The ancient menhir circles of the Yuirwood hold portals leading to Sildëyuir, although most are keyed to function only for star elves.

So it should be perfectly possible for your ranger to find one of these relatively easy from Sildëyuir (I might even suggest as easily as DC 5-10 Gather Infomation or Knowledge (Local) or even perhaps Diplomacy), although how close to the rest of the party he ends up might be somewhat random (although you might give him a Knowledge (Planes) to see how close she lands) and then she would have to manage her way though Yuirwood to a proper meeting point.

LiL KiNG
2016-01-12, 09:26 AM
Sian, I think that should work! Thank you!

GilesTheCleric
2016-01-12, 09:43 AM
What a crappy racial feature being extraplanar is... What genius came up with that idea for a pc race.

Having the [extraplanar] subtype is both a benefit and a drawback; you're seeing firsthand the drawback. Star Elves are unique in that they don't gain the benefit that most [extraplanar] creatures get, that of being an outsider. Outsiders gain extra weapon proficiencies, darkvision, have no need to sleep or eat, and also have access to additional alternate forms when polymorphing. The benefit you do get for being only [extraplanar] is that you can use Dismissal effectively as a lower-leveled Plane Shift.

In order to prevent this from occurring again, you can see if you can find someone who can cast Dimensional Anchor or Dimension Lock; there's also the Dimensional Shackles in the DMG (28k). MIC might have a cheaper version of those. Banishment is a targeted spell of 6th level, which means that Greater Spell Immunity will function against it, as will a Spellblade. Dismissal can be blocked with Spell Immunity since it's 4th. As Vas mentioned, picking up a tuning fork for their home plane, or finding the location of a permanent portal can make returning easier, too.

For now, this sounds like it might lead to some very interesting adventures!

Darrin
2016-01-12, 10:26 AM
Find another star elf that can cast summon monster II. Summon an Ur'Epona (Planar Handbook p. 130), and ask/direct it to plane shift the ranger back to the prime material. 2nd level spell should only cost 60-80 GP from an NPC.

Janthkin
2016-01-12, 03:21 PM
Find another star elf that can cast summon monster II. Summon an Ur'Epona (Planar Handbook p. 130), and ask/direct it to plane shift the ranger back to the prime material. 2nd level spell should only cost 60-80 GP from an NPC.Does a Star Elf have something to override the limitations of Summon Monster? (Specifically, "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities.") I'm not familiar with the race at all.

Darrin
2016-01-12, 03:30 PM
Does a Star Elf have something to override the limitations of Summon Monster? (Specifically, "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities.") I'm not familiar with the race at all.

I'm not familiar with the restriction against teleportation or planar travel abilities. Where is that from? My PHB says:

"A summoned creature cannot use any innate summoning abilities it may have, and it refuses to cast any spells that would cost it XP, or to use any spell-like abilities that would cost XP if they were spells."

Plane shift isn't a summoning spell and has no XP cost.

Janthkin
2016-01-12, 04:06 PM
I'm not familiar with the restriction against teleportation or planar travel abilities. Where is that from? isn't a summoning spell and has no XP cost.Summon Monster I, p. 286, first column, 2nd paragraph. (Also, SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm).)

Telonius
2016-01-12, 04:10 PM
There is a way to overcome the Extraplanar subtype, if your DM allows Spelltouched feats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm). A few castings of Dimensional Anchor, and then take the "Naturalized Denizen" feat will solve the problem permanently.

Sian
2016-01-12, 05:22 PM
Looking a bit around, I'd suggest that you try and sniff out The Twilight Tomb (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/The_Twilight_Tomb) as that appear to be the book with most knowledge to be gathered about Sildëyuir

LiL KiNG
2016-01-12, 07:39 PM
Some more good options to look into. Many thanks people!

Darrin
2016-01-12, 09:47 PM
Summon Monster I, p. 286, first column, 2nd paragraph. (Also, SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm).)

Huh. Looks like I hit my "Make Youself Look Like An Idiot" quota today. Thank you for setting me straight on that.

I was going to say, well, lesser planar ally/binding would still work, but at that point just pay for the plane shift and cut out the middlemare. Or just do the standing stones/menhir thing.

Âmesang
2016-01-13, 07:08 AM
Portals from Point A to Point B via Sigil/Union/Ravenloft/World Serpent Inn/Infinite Staircase can be fun, and if all else fails… hitch a ride on a SPELLJAMMER® ship? :smallbiggrin:

John Longarrow
2016-01-13, 09:04 AM
Lil King,
If your DM, you can use this as a chance for a short solo adventure for the player.
If your not, you can suggest to the DM that they do a short solo.

Either way, a Ranger should have little problem surviving in their home land. Just takes a little while to get to some place where they can hop back over to the Yuirwood. If the party heads that way to begin with, it should make it a LOT easier to meet up.

Psyren
2016-01-13, 09:35 AM
It sounds like the Otherworldly feat (PGtF) will solve all your problems. Firstly, it makes Star Elves into Outsiders rather than extraplanar humanoids, with all the considerable benefits that the Outsider type provides. Secondly, it gives them the native subtype, which will override extraplanar by making them native to the Material Plane, thus preventing them from being banished in the future.

Benefit: You are a native outsider, not a humanoid.

Native Subtype

A subtype applied only to outsiders. These creatures have mortal ancestors or a strong connection to the Material Plane and can be raised, reincarnated, or resurrected just as other living creatures can be. Creatures with this subtype are native to the Material Plane (hence the subtype’s name). Unlike true outsiders, native outsiders need to eat and sleep.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-13, 09:38 AM
It sounds like the Otherworldly feat (PGtF) will solve all your problems. Firstly, it makes Star Elves into Outsiders rather than extraplanar humanoids, with all the considerable benefits that the Outsider type provides. Secondly, it gives them the native subtype, which will override extraplanar by making them native to the Material Plane, thus preventing them from being banished in the future.Otherworldly is a 1st level only feat, though, so the player will either have to have DM permission to rework or rebuild his character from the ground up, or he'll have to change characters.

Though I suppose a DCFS or Psychic Reformation would work, as well.

Andezzar
2016-01-13, 10:22 AM
Having the [extraplanar] subtype is both a benefit and a drawback; you're seeing firsthand the drawback. Star Elves are unique in that they don't gain the benefit that most [extraplanar] creatures get, that of being an outsider. Outsiders gain extra weapon proficiencies, darkvision, have no need to sleep or eat, and also have access to additional alternate forms when polymorphing. The benefit you do get for being only [extraplanar] is that you can use Dismissal effectively as a lower-leveled Plane Shift.The Outsider Type and the Extraplanar Subtype are two totally distinct properties. While the Outsider type has mainly benefits, the fact that certain spells don't work has its drawbacks.

The extraplanar subtype is not a subtype that is always applied to certain creatures but one that pops up when any creature is not on its home plane and vanishes as soon as the creature is home. So planehopping humans can be sent home pretty easily as well, and casting banishment on a pit fiend in Baator won't do anything.

Otherworldly is a 1st level only feat, though, so the player will either have to have DM permission to rework or rebuild his character from the ground up, or he'll have to change characters.

Though I suppose a DCFS or Psychic Reformation would work, as well.Neither DCS nor Psychic Reformation work:
The subject must abide by the standard rules for selecting skills and feats, and so it cannot take feats for which it doesn’t qualify or take crossclass skills as class skills.

If the subject possesses any Abyssal heritor feats, one of them is immediately removed and replaced by any other feat for which the subject qualifies (except an Abyssal heritor feat).
The subject is not Level 1, so it does not qualify.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-01-13, 10:32 AM
Neither DCS nor Psychic Reformation work:

The subject is not Level 1, so it does not qualify.They'll work if you swap out one of your level 1 feats. And if the DM rules that not to work, either pay someone to give you enough negative levels to shunt you down to level 1, followed by a restoration spell after you're done, or just hold a fistful of (un)holy arrows to give you negative levels that way.

Andezzar
2016-01-13, 11:00 AM
They'll work if you swap out one of your level 1 feats. And if the DM rules that not to work, either pay someone to give you enough negative levels to shunt you down to level 1, followed by a restoration spell after you're done, or just hold a fistful of (un)holy arrows to give you negative levels that way.Ah I forgot about the level draining trick.

GilesTheCleric
2016-01-13, 11:30 AM
The Outsider Type and the Extraplanar Subtype are two totally distinct properties. While the Outsider type has mainly benefits, the fact that certain spells don't work has its drawbacks.

The extraplanar subtype is not a subtype that is always applied to certain creatures but one that pops up when any creature is not on its home plane and vanishes as soon as the creature is home. So planehopping humans can be sent home pretty easily as well, and casting banishment on a pit fiend in Baator won't do anything.

That's why I said "most" :smallwink: