PDA

View Full Version : Every Step Meets the Risk

TheZorker
2007-06-13, 06:47 PM
I was reading this thread: here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47294), when it occured to me why I really liked OOTS as a fantasy novel. Not only does it have off stage action where the main protagonists aren't necessarily involved, but it's the risk of failure that seems so real for everyone.

People die in this story, sometimes because they're in the way of the main forces, sometimes because people antagonizing the wrong lich at the wrong time... sometimes because a gather information check is failed.

I'm not passing judgement on what happened in the #464. I'm not sure if I like it or not, to be honest. In a meta sense, I like the fact that I'm not sure about it, because it proves the characters have both their pluses and minuses (and I love a good absolution story), and they seem real. Their situation is real, and death can result from it.

Tying this back around, I think I finally found the appropriate lines for :miko: from the same game that produce "Dream of an Absolution"

His world (comes highly recomended. I'll leave the music as an exercise to the audience, and merely note I like the Crush 40 version)

In his world, where One is All
In his world, never fear the fall.
In his world, comprimise does not exist.
In his world, of worlds...
Every step meets the risk.

squidthingy
2007-06-13, 06:59 PM
Their situation is real, and death can result from it

Key word 'can', people can die and then come back to life(ressurection spell) if some part of them remains and it has been less than 70 years(sometimes more)

Ridureyu
2007-06-13, 07:47 PM
"Oops, I Did it Again" seems like a more appropriate song for Miko.

delguidance
2007-06-13, 10:33 PM
You know how in Kill Bill, the one-eyed villainess Ellie Driver whistled as she walked.

From the soundtrack its called Twisted Nerve by Bernard Herrmann.

That's my Miko song.

Omicroncubed
2007-06-14, 02:59 AM
I agree with the ''Oops I did it again''.

But actually before Miko became a fallen paladin, I suppose (because she was all cranky and stuff) ''Take me out'' would have been her song :smallbiggrin: nah just kidding

Dave Rapp
2007-06-14, 05:40 AM
Oh please. If Miko has theme music, it has to be Weird Al Yankovich's "Dare to be Stupid." Why? Because she's a bloody idiot half the time. :smalltongue:

Hermit
2007-06-14, 05:49 AM
Her death reminds me a lot of Boromir's actually. Every time I read that chapter or watch that bit of the film, I still feel sad about it despite the fact he tried to grab the ring and broke the fellowship.

I always think its the mark of a good story that even a character who was rather annoying in life still has a sad death.