PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerous Origin - Warrior Bloodline [PEACH]

RakiReborn
2016-01-12, 11:40 AM
As fond as I am of the GISH options there are, I couldn't resist making one for the Sorcerer, as (I think?) there isn't one already. Might have missed it in one of the UA's though... Well, here is my take on it!

Hey GiantITP. After a small bit of playtesting, rewriting and quite a bit of swearing from ennoyment (is that a word?) as it was still not what i wanted, i decided to make an overhaul. The new features are better built and fluffed towards the origin. This is the new draft:
Magic is found in many things, nature and manmade. Not always does this magic act as intended, and some magical items have too much magic imbedded in them. That magic flows out, into the creatures that hold them close and use them in combat. Perhaps one of your ancestors wielded one such item, or you were exposed to such a weapon at early age. Whatever the case, the magic has flowed into you, and gave you a natural affection to combine your inner magic with the weapons you wield.

Natural Affection (lvl1):
At 1st level, tools of battle feel as natural to you as your own skin. You gain proficiency in martial weapons and light armor. Additionally, you ignore any class requirements for magical items.

Sorcerous Ward (lvl1):
Also from 1st level, your innate magic protects you from harm. When you cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you gain Temporary Hit Points equal to the spell’s level + your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Sword and Sorcery (lvl6):
At 6th level, you have learned to combine your magic and weaponry, channelling the residential energy from your spells through your weapon. When you cast a Sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, the next weapon attack you hit before the end of your next turn deals additional damage equal to twice the spell’s level.

Determined Concentration (lvl14):
You are so accustomed to the battlefield that you seem to be able to concentrate better than anyone. Whenever you must make a concentration saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell as a result of taking damage, you add your Charisma modifier to the saving throw.

Natural Attuner (lvl18):
Starting at 18th level, you may attune to four magic items instead of three.
I hope that this is balanced, and will playtest it soon. It is considered finished for now, but any suggestions for improvements or new insights or ideas are more than welcome!

This was the old draft:
Magic is found in many things, nature and man made. Not always does this magic act as intended, and some magical items have too much magic inbedded in them. That magic flows out, into the creatures that hold them close and use them in combat. Perhaps one of your ancestors wielded one such item, or you were exposed to such a weapon at early age. Whatever the case, the magic has flowed into you, and gave you a natural affection to combine your inner magic with the weapons you wield.

Natural Affection (lvl1):
Your bloodline grants you proficiency in the tools of a warrior, as they seem to fit you naturally. You gain proficiency in martial weapons, medium armor and shields.

Sword and Sorcery (lvl1):
You have learned to combine your magic and weaponry, using one to empower the other. You gain the following benefits:
- When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you have advantage on your next spell attack roll before the end of your next turn.
- When you hit a creature with a spell attack, you deal additional damage equal to your Charisma modifier on your next hit with a weapon attack before the end of your next turn.
- When you attack with a ranged sorcerer cantrip in melee, you do not gain disadvantage on the spell attack roll.

Sorcerous Ward (lvl6):
Beginning at 6th level, your magic protects you from harm. When you cast a sorcerer spell, you gain THP equal to the spell’s level + your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Battle Sorcery (lvl14):
At 14th level, you have mastered the art of weaving spellcasting and weapon use into a single harmonious act. When you use your action to cast a sorcerer spell, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. Additionally, ranged sorcerer spells cast in melee do not invoke disadvantage on the spell attack rolls.

Enhanced Concentration (lvl18):
You are so accustomed to the battlefield that you seem to be able to concentrate better than anyone. Whenever you must make a concentration saving throw to maintain concentration on a spell as a result of taking damage, you have advantage on the saving throw.

There are some mechanics in here where i have no clue whether they are balanced or not.
- Sword and Sorcery i have no clue, as i haven't found anything that resembles it.
- Sorcerous Ward might be a bit too strong, but it only activates when casting a spell of 1st level or higher.
- Battle Sorcery is like the Battle Magic from the Valor Bard, but i added the last sentence, as i wanted the melee casting part from Sword and Sorcery in two pieces. All ranged spells without disadvantage in melee seemed too strong for level 1.
- Enhanced Concentration is also a bit hard to know if it balanced. It feels balanced, but my feelings may be clouded... :P

The Warrior Bloodline is not really a WIP, but all parts are open to changes. Please let me know your opinions and feedback :)

EDIT (21-1-2016): Changed the fluff text
EDIT (18-5-2016): Pretty much a complete overhaul

RakiReborn
2016-01-19, 05:17 PM
No comments? It must be spot-on or completely off then xD

Jon_Dahl
2016-01-20, 02:15 PM
I'm not terrible fond of the fluff of your creation. I'm sure that the crunch is just fine, but the bloodlines are supposed to show how you have received your magical powers from a source that... well... is magical or supernatural. Even plants do, because having plant blood is sort of supernatural, so it's ok. Warrior blood is just not right. If my player tried to bring that to the table, I'd be annoyed and ask him or her to forget it.

RakiReborn
2016-01-20, 04:12 PM
Thanks for your time and comment, you are completely right. I was so focused on the crunch, that i forgot to fluff it up right. It is kinda hard though with a sword and sorcery combined. I really want the warrior/weapon-wielding part to be part of the bloodline too. I was thinking of something like this:

Magic is found in many things, nature and man made. Not always does this magic act as intended, and some magical items have too much magic inbedded in them. That magic flows out, into the creatures that hold them close and use them in combat. Perhaps one of your ancestors wielded one such item, or you were exposed to such a weapon at early age. Whatever the case, the magic has flowed into you, and gave you a natural affection to combine your inner magic with the weapons you wield.

It doesn't feel completely right to me, but it is more as it should be. What do you think? Do you have any suggestions or additions? Any help is appreciated. And so are further comments on the crunch! ;)

M Placeholder
2016-01-21, 03:38 PM

It doesn't feel completely right to me, but it is more as it should be. What do you think?

That sounds pretty good.

RakiReborn
2016-01-21, 04:20 PM
I'll add it in the OP then for now. If anyone has any suggestions for the fluff text, please do tell ^^

RakiReborn
2016-05-18, 08:03 AM
Hey GiantITP,

A little while ago i started playtesting some homebrew subclasses of mine, and this was one of them. I wasn't contempt with it in the least, so i decided to change it, which resulted in pretty much a complete overhaul. I am curious what you think of it now, and if it is balanced.

Amnoriath
2016-05-18, 09:08 AM
Your new one while quite good up front very much lacks on the back end. Remember Sorcerers are proficient in constitution saves already so Determined Concentration is at best kind of as good as 1/3 of the War Caster feat. While the last one is unique ultimately magic items shouldn't be good enough to warrant a high level ability that says you can have one more active in general. After all this is the same level Indomitable Strength, Elusive, and Spell Mastery come in. You should consider using sorcerery points to make one of your new abilities.

RakiReborn
2016-05-18, 10:52 AM
The lvl18 feature could be kind of underwhelming, i agree. Do you have a suggestion for something extra?
The lvl14 feature i think it is stronger than it looks, and more necessary too. With this origin, you need dex (or str) over con for the damage output, and dex for AC. This lowers your CON saves, while you are in melee and will probably make them even more. That is why i added this, so you have a better chance at holding concentration in melee. If it still seems too weak, what about an additional boon from the feature that lets you expend SP to turn a fail into a success? (was thinking of 3 SP?)

EDIT: just thought of these two ideas:
at lvl14 add: you can use SP to restore charges to magic items (1-1 exchange)
at lvl18 add: once per short rest you can try to absorb the magic of a spell cast within 30ft of you. Costs a reaction, CHA check against 10+spell level. if you succeed, the spell is countered and you gain SP equal to the spell level expended.
Needs some rewording and tweaking, but what do you think of the idea? The fluff will be that you become one with magical items.

Amnoriath
2016-05-18, 03:41 PM
But you haven't added any additional stat liabilities compared to a full-caster. Ultimately the ability score spread is the same because of the additions of Charisma you added and you haven't given anything better than what Mage Armor can offer.

RakiReborn
2016-05-18, 04:03 PM
But you haven't added any additional stat liabilities compared to a full-caster. Ultimately the ability score spread is the same because of the additions of Charisma you added and you haven't given anything better than what Mage Armor can offer.

True that. I think i'll make it something like this (removing the concentration feature):

Magical Item Affinity (lvl14):
At 14th level, you explored your connection with magical items. You may attune to four magic items instead of three. Additionally, when you wield or wear a magical item with charges, you max use a bonus action on your turn to expend any amount of sorcery points to replenish an equal amount of charges in the magical item.

Absorb Magic (lvl18):
At 18th level, your origin manifested strongly enough to aborb magic into yourself. When a creature within 30ft of you casts a spell, you may use your reaction to try to absorb the magical energy. To do so, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. You are considered proficient in this check. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a succes, the creature's spell fails, and you regain Sorcery Points equal to the spell's level. You can use this feature once per short or long rest.

The last feature essentially gives you a once per short or long rest counterspell without using a spellslot, with the bonus to gain SP from it. My alternative idea is that whenever you successfully counter or dispel a spell with Counterspell or Dispel Magic, you gain SP equal to the countered/dispelles spell's level. This way you can use it more often, but you are not considered proficient in it.
What do you think of these? Any different ideas? Thanks for helping me with this one, it's becoming more what i want with your feedback :)