PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Old AP for first time DM

DizzyWood
2016-01-12, 01:51 PM
So I would like to try my hand at DMing for the first time and my group would like to try something a bit higher lvl than the 5E APs. So I was wondering if you good playgounders have any suggestions on some old edition D&D Aps to try.

I would like but not set in stone
1. It to start around 10th lvl.
2. Located in FR as that is what my group is familiar with.
3. Easy to update to 5e. Just monster stat updates. :mitd:
4. Plenty of action but a nice mix of traps, puzzles, RP ect.
5. I do not enjoy it being to Sandboxy... I don't want the party running all over the game world but the same region is fine.

Thank you all in advance!

Theodoxus
2016-01-12, 04:27 PM
Against the Giants -> Queen of the Demonweb Pits AP- I find this has been extremely easy to port into 5E, has options for nearly any level, though starting at 3rd or 4th for the Giants portion, or 7-10th for the Drow portion work best.

It is set in Greyhawk, but being primarily Underdark (given you want to start around 10), there's no reason it can't be moved to FR with minimal impact on the story. There's free PDFs if you google for them... I'm planning on running a group through the whole set once we work through a modified version of the Starter Set. - My guys are in Golarion (Pathfinder's world) - so I have a bit more to mod than changing GH to FR, but it's been fun setting up the world too.

DizzyWood
2016-01-12, 05:06 PM
Against the Giants -> Queen of the Demonweb Pits AP- I find this has been extremely easy to port into 5E, has options for nearly any level, though starting at 3rd or 4th for the Giants portion, or 7-10th for the Drow portion work best.

It is set in Greyhawk, but being primarily Underdark (given you want to start around 10), there's no reason it can't be moved to FR with minimal impact on the story. There's free PDFs if you google for them... I'm planning on running a group through the whole set once we work through a modified version of the Starter Set. - My guys are in Golarion (Pathfinder's world) - so I have a bit more to mod than changing GH to FR, but it's been fun setting up the world too.

I think I remember that, it was 3.5 right?
I have love hate relationship with the Underdark. I have only ever lost 2 characters and it was because I am cursed. The SECOND my PC steps into the Underdark my rolls go to crap, but I love the races and monsters and atmosphere you have down there. Maybe as a DM my luck would be different?

DanyBallon
2016-01-12, 09:01 PM
Against the Giant is a 1st edition module series (G) and is followed by the "D" series and Queen of the Demonweb Pit (Q) forming the famous G-D-Q super module.

Being a 1e module you can just replace the 1e monster stats with its 5e counterpart. It far easier that trying to replace/recreate a monster from 3.5 MM4. However you may need to fudge dice from time to time, as some monsters are now stronger than they were, and some others are weaker. One last thing to consider, since 1e allowed XP for GP, and from magic item GP value, you'll notice that if you don't change the amount of treasure, your players will become richer than what they would ever have dreamed of. If you allow them to use that money to buy some land, build a castle hire servants... it shouldn't be a problem spending that money.

DizzyWood
2016-01-13, 09:20 AM
Thanks guys. I am checking them out online right now.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?