PDA

View Full Version : Creating Sand Golems

Khedrac
2016-01-12, 02:06 PM
One of the features of the Walker in the Waste prestige class is the ability to create a Sand Golem.
The problem though, is what creating a Sand Golem actually requires...

awaken sand - Druid 6, Sand 6
fuse sand - Druid 5, Sorcerer/Wizard 6
geas/quest - Bard 6, Cleric 6, Sorcerer/Wizard 6
(Also they need to be 14th level, which is a bit silly for an ability that clerics can gain as early as 9th level and druids as early as 11th, all without early entry.)
(It also needs 1000 cubic feet of shapesand which may be a problem to find, depending on one's DM.)

So, archivist walkers can happily get to 14th level and create their golem, but what are druid and cleric (and spirit shaman) walkers supposed to do?

Given that it is a 50 day creation process, that is a lot of casting that needs to be done by someone else.

So, other than finding another walker of the other base spell list who also wants a sand golem, and co-operating on making a pair of golems, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

For what it matters, I am playing a Spirit Shaman who is planning to go Walker in the Waste.

Troacctid
2016-01-12, 02:23 PM
Use a scroll.

Khedrac
2016-01-12, 05:09 PM
Use a scroll.
That would require Use Magic Device - not a class skill for clerics, druids or spirit shaman. Also, unless golems are different to other magic item creation it would require 50 scrolls - one per day.

I am guessing that it may be different and not require casting the spells every day as the entire golem only requires 920xp to make and awaken sand is 500xp per casting (which the authors of the golem probably forgot).

Graypairofsocks
2016-01-14, 06:23 AM
I don't think you need to cast the spells to make the golem.
It seems like you just have to know the spells.

Darrin
2016-01-14, 07:12 AM
I've been looking for a way a druid or spirit shaman could get access to geas/quest, but haven't found anything easy. Closest I can get is half-fey (Fiend Folio) but you generally can't summon templates. Snow weird (Frostburn) has it, but I don't think you can summon those via SNA. You'd think there was a fey creature somewhere that could cast this as a SLA but I'm getting bupkis.

Inevitability
2016-01-14, 09:29 AM
Extra Spell.

Darrin
2016-01-14, 11:05 AM
Extra Spell.

Not every DM allows that feat to add spells from outside your spell list.

Ok, so a dip into Oracle to pick up the Charm, Domination, Fate, Inquisition, or Nobility domain should work. Or you can use a Domain Staff of Nobility (36000 GP, Complete Champion p. 143).

Segev
2016-01-14, 11:54 AM
Are we sure those requirements aren't the requirements for "just anyone" to make a sand golem? If so, the Sand Shaper's class feature might obviate all other requirements. "At X level, the Sand Shaper gains the ability to make Sand Golems," would be a case of specific overriding general.

Aleolus
2016-01-14, 12:48 PM
I've been looking for a way a druid or spirit shaman could get access to geas/quest, but haven't found anything easy. Closest I can get is half-fey (Fiend Folio) but you generally can't summon templates. Snow weird (Frostburn) has it, but I don't think you can summon those via SNA. You'd think there was a fey creature somewhere that could cast this as a SLA but I'm getting bupkis.

Verdant Prince (MM4 I think) gets this