PDA

View Full Version : Making the innkeeper from hearthstone in dnd

jangartharn1
2016-01-12, 05:13 PM
Hey guys how's it going? Ok I'll get into it one of my friends just joined with my regular dnd group and he wants to make the innkeeper from hearthstone and he asked me for help. So I need help coming up with a level 6 character build that could work for this I would like to ask for your help giants community you also have 4,000 starter gold to help out with magic items and gear. So the jist of the build would be having cards that allowed you to summon monsters and spells that are shown in the cards just like in hearthstone. Alright thanks for the help guys. ;)

the_archduke
2016-01-12, 05:43 PM
In Pathfinder there is the Summoner, sounds like what you want if PF is allowed

jangartharn1
2016-01-12, 06:11 PM
PF is sadly not allowed in our 3.5 campaign.

SangoProduction
2016-01-12, 09:51 PM
The Druid/Wizard, and take the summoning stuff. Or just plain Druid.

ATHATH
2016-01-12, 10:00 PM
I recall there being Figurines of Power (or something like that) that could be activated to temporarily turn into creatures somewhere in the Wondrous items section of the online SRD.

jangartharn1
2016-01-12, 10:31 PM
I recall there being Figurines of Power (or something like that) that could be activated to temporarily turn into creatures somewhere in the Wondrous items section of the online SRD.

Those would work great sadly most of them cost more then 4,000 gold.

The Glyphstone
2016-01-12, 10:59 PM
Yeah, if you just want a mons/monster summoner, your best bets are Druid (if you're okay with everything you summoning being an animal) or Conjuration Wizard.

Definitely an odd idea, building a character after what is effectively an NPC, but certainly workable.

jangartharn1
2016-01-12, 11:05 PM
Yeah, if you just want a mons/monster summoner, your best bets are Druid (if you're okay with everything you summoning being an animal) or Conjuration Wizard.

Definitely an odd idea, building a character after what is effectively an NPC, but certainly workable.

Alright cool I'll look into the conjuration wizard spells and things of that area. Thanks for all the info so far guys lets keep it up! :)

ATHATH
2016-01-12, 11:52 PM
Use Reserve Feats as your "Hero Power".

Crake
2016-01-13, 12:50 AM
if you look at the hearthstone match screen, it's literally a table, and they are literally playing an mtg-esque card game. They aren't "summoning" creatures or anything like that, it's just cards and tokens on a board, but with a more magical flair to it, sorry m8

jangartharn1
2016-01-13, 08:37 AM
if you look at the hearthstone match screen, it's literally a table, and they are literally playing an mtg-esque card game. They aren't "summoning" creatures or anything like that, it's just cards and tokens on a board, but with a more magical flair to it, sorry m8

I know I'm just saying a build that revolved around "summoning" things with cards or something of that caliber.

ATHATH
2016-01-13, 12:06 PM
Say... Wasn't there a feat that allowed you to defeat an enemy in a game of your choice instead of fighting them? You could literally play Hearthstone (with your RL devices) against them. I can't remember if it's Pathfineder, though.

Jormengand
2016-01-13, 12:19 PM
Say... Wasn't there a feat that allowed you to defeat an enemy in a game of your choice instead of fighting them? You could literally play Hearthstone (with your RL devices) against them. I can't remember if it's Pathfineder, though.

There's the Cards over Swords feat. (http://www.ravenoaks.org/jim/3da/files/LUCK_OF_THE_DRAW.PDF) Official WotC material, and works for any game, not just three dragon ante for which it is designed.

The Glyphstone
2016-01-13, 02:24 PM
Of course, adding that feat into the game brings a high risk of your campaign transforming into Yu-Gi-Oh.

Jormengand
2016-01-13, 03:02 PM
Of course, adding that feat into the game brings a high risk of your campaign transforming into Yu-Gi-Oh.

Whether or not this is a bad thing depends on quite a lot.

jangartharn1
2016-01-13, 05:13 PM
There's the Cards over Swords feat. (http://www.ravenoaks.org/jim/3da/files/LUCK_OF_THE_DRAW.PDF) Official WotC material, and works for any game, not just three dragon ante for which it is designed.

Ok that is pretty awesome. Thanks for the link I'll show my dm honestly he says he's sick of all the combat that happens back to back in our campaign this should help him out and make for one awesome character to play as.

heavyfuel
2016-01-13, 06:02 PM
Become a Runesmith, refluff runes as cards, use SM and/or SNA spells.

Pretty easy to get into. Need to be Dwarf, and either spend 3 feats in Armor Proficiency (Martial Wizard helps if your DM allows them to be picked up as Fighter Feats) or dip one level in a martial-ish class (I suggest clerics for domain options)

dascarletm
2016-01-13, 06:20 PM
Careful that the other players will have a way to contribute to the card match, or really enjoy watching you two play said game.

jangartharn1
2016-01-13, 06:34 PM
Careful that the other players will have a way to contribute to the card match, or really enjoy watching you two play said game.

That is true I'll talk to my dm and I bet we can brainstorm some things.

The Glyphstone
2016-01-13, 06:38 PM
Whether or not this is a bad thing depends on quite a lot.

It might start innocuous enough. But before you know it you are challenging trolls and dragons to CHILDREN'S CARD GAMES while RIDING WARHORSES, ON THE ASTRAL PLANE...

dascarletm
2016-01-13, 06:54 PM
It might start innocuous enough. But before you know it you are challenging trolls and dragons to CHILDREN'S CARD GAMES while RIDING WARHORSES, ON THE ASTRAL PLANE...

Definitely more for a light-hearted game.

Player: Nerull, Lord of Death, Halt! I challenge you to a game of Magic the Gathering!
Nerull: Alright, but be warned mortal... my Black Phyrexian deck has never lost.

jangartharn1
2016-01-13, 10:33 PM
Definitely more for a light-hearted game.

Player: Nerull, Lord of Death, Halt! I challenge you to a game of Magic the Gathering!
Nerull: Alright, but be warned mortal... my Black Phyrexian deck has never lost.
Lol sounds like what my party needs right now. Long story short we've had a lot of fights in game lately and the party is getting mad at each other for a ton of reasons and I feel this could help calm some people down and help them remember "hey we re just playing a game."

Debihuman
2016-01-14, 12:58 AM
You might be able to use this class (granted it's homebrew and I have no idea how balanced it is): http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Barkeeper_(3.5e_Class)

Also for a lighthearted bar, feel free to use Cardboardeux in lieu of one of the standard barmaids. See here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15622611&postcount=5

Debby

SangoProduction
2016-01-14, 01:20 AM
You might be able to use this class (granted it's homebrew and I have no idea how balanced it is): http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Barkeeper_(3.5e_Class)

Also for a lighthearted bar, feel free to use Cardboardeux in lieu of one of the standard barmaids. See here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15622611&postcount=5

Debby

Don't worry, the barkeeper is rather incredibly weak.