PDA

View Full Version : Gungir as a artifact weapon

Nosta
2016-01-12, 05:39 PM
so using the info its legend how would one create gungir in a norse type game.
I want it to be the weapon of one my top ten in the the world

I like the legend that it never misses it strike but I think landing hits with out rolling a d20 is a bit strong

any help please

FocusWolf413
2016-01-12, 05:56 PM
I saw a cool campaign log once where a pair of axes had an everstriking ability. They always hit, but if you would have missed, you took damage equal to how much you would have missed by. I'd say on a natural one, you do double damage to yourself.

Deadline
2016-01-12, 06:02 PM
Well, there are actually stats for Gungnir in the 3rd edition Dieties and Demigods book:

+5 Distance Ghost Touch Holy Keen Returning Wounding Shortspear

MisterKaws
2016-01-12, 06:04 PM
The one in Deities & Demigods is a +5 distance ghost touch holy keen returning wounding shortspear, if that helps, though the everhitting is unneeded for Odin(greater gods can choose max dice on ANYTHING) so they've omitted anything that could represent that.

Really late edit: Guess I was swordsage'd...

Mr Adventurer
2016-01-12, 06:38 PM
Presumably it can still be turned by armour, so having it ignore Dexterity bonuses to AC is probably the way to go?

Deadline
2016-01-12, 06:49 PM
You could simulate the always hitting aspect by giving it an ability similar to the Heartseeking Amulet in the MIC. Basically, it lets you cast Wraithstrike as a swift action 3/day. Alternatively, since it is a "ranged" weapon, you might give it the Seeking enchantment.

CrazyNoob
2016-01-12, 06:49 PM
Fragarach, (http://www.gamebanshee.com/templeofelementalevil/magicitems/fragarach.php) the sword of Answering, from Temple of Elemental Evil had the ability to never miss. You always goes last, but it'll always hit whoever hit you in melee combat.

Other sword of answering with similar ability, keyed to an alignment:
Fragarach - CG
Answerer - LG
Back-talker - NG
Concluder - CG
Last-quip - LN
Rebutter - N
Replier - CN
Retorter - LE
Scather - NE
Squelcher - CE

Nosta