PDA

View Full Version : Build Help/Review - Combat Maneuver-Focused Feral Hunter

pfm1995
2016-01-12, 06:09 PM
Hey all, I hope I'm posting this in the right area. If I'm not just let me know and I'll take it down.

Anyway, on to the meat of the problem: My FLGG is starting a new campaign (Kingmaker, if it matters) and I've decided to try something a bit more complicated. Hunter always looked thematic and when I read the Feral Hunter archetype my eyes lit up a bit (especially having recently seen The Revenant). This is what I threw together (Note on syntax, 'R' denotes a racial feat and 'C' denotes a feat gained through a class feature. The Hunter's 3rd level teamwork feat can be swapped as a standard action, thus the variance):

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Human Feral Hunter

Feats:

1 - Dirty Fighting
1R- Improved Trip
2C- Outflank (Teamwork)
3 - Power Attack
3C- Varies, Paired Opportunists will probably be the default
5 - Natural Spell
7 - Combat Reflexes
9 - Topple Foe (Teamwork)
11- Harrying Partners (Teamwork)
13- Pack Attack (Teamwork)
15- Spell Focus (Conjuration)
17- Augment Summons
19- Superior Summons

Traits:
Dirty Fighter
Suspicious
Rostlander (Campaign)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The core of this build is using Summon Nature's Ally with the teamwork feats and Aid Another to gain massive bonuses to combat maneuvers, with Trip being his preferred (he's very wolf-themed).

Specific Questions:

First off, is there anything I'm missing? Largest possible point of friction seems to be the bonuses from the Teamwork Feats stacking, but I can't see any reason why they wouldn't.

Do Dirty Fighting and Outflank stack (I assume so, but my magic 8-ball says ask again)?

Can anyone who's played Kingmaker say if this build stays reasonably effective throughout the campaign? I worry about reaching level 7-8 and then suddenly becoming irrelevant with such a niche build.

I have some concerns about action economy, specifically the potential need to wildshape and summon every few combats. This looks like it'll become a larger and larger concern as we go to higher levels, as my summoned monsters will be one-or-two shot. Thoughts?

Finally, can anyone recommend any general improvements? I don't doubt there's something I'm missing that would make this simpler or more effective.

Thanks in advance for the help.