PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder ShadowDancer Help!

DragonBaneDM
2016-01-12, 08:06 PM
Althernatively: I Came Here To Stab Stuff And Take ShadowDancer Levels (And I'm All Out of Shadowdancer Levels.)

My buddy and I just hit level 16. He's a Fighter 5 Shadowdancer 10 right now, and uses the heck out of daggers.

We just hit 16 and we're not sure what to do! He's expressed that he wants more utility out of this, along with a better ranged option, though Shadowstep is very here, it's very a standard action.

Let me know what you guys would go into! We're looking into Ranger, but other, more eclectic choices such as Alchemist are being considered. He's got a +1 or +2 in everything but Wis. Thanks!

pfm1995
2016-01-12, 09:01 PM
Without knowing a little more about your buddy's playstyle it's a little difficult to recommend anything specific. With that in mind, a few thoughts (I'm assuming you're playing Pathfinder, if not then these are irrelevant):

Shadow Jump lets you qualify for the Dimensional Dervish feat chain; two or three feats in and you can full attack after shadow jumping. If you go all the way to Dimensional Savant you can even flank with yourself; letting you sneak attack if you go rogue or vivisectionist alchemist.

Ranger is a good choice for a third class, Unchained Rogue would also be very good both because of sneak attack and because there's a lot of out-of-combat skill utility. An off-the-wall choice might be the Brawler, it has a lot of close weapon synergy and can help boost the damage of your daggers. One of its archetypes can also get sneak attack, though I personally don't think the trade is worth it. Finally, the Slayer doesn't have much in the way of utility but is a good option from a martial perspective.

Another feat chain I'd recommend taking a look at is Outslug Style; while it doesn't give you any new out-of-combat utility it does give you some very interesting in-combat options that could combo well with Shadowdancer.

Hope this helps!

DragonBaneDM
2016-01-12, 09:10 PM
Woah, a feat chain for teleporters? That's awesome. I don't understand the intro feat; Dimensional Agility, though. What does it mean by "You can take any actions you still have remaining on your turn."? His Dimensional Door is a standard action, yeah, but why would it stop him from moving or using bonus actions?

pfm1995
2016-01-12, 09:23 PM
Per Dimension Door:
After using this spell, you can't take any other actions until your next turn.

It sucks, I know, which is why Dimensional Agility is such a high priority for most teleporters.

Florian
2016-01-13, 12:11 AM
Have a talk with your GM if the Dimensional Dervish feat chain could be counted as combat feats.
If yes, that would more or less mean sticking to gaining levels in Fighter or you´re running out of feat slots.

Alphasez
2016-01-13, 03:04 PM
I've built a fighter/rogue/shadow dancer myself, with a lot of success. Rogue adds a ton of utility, both in and out of combat. Thats my recommendation to you.

With all the proficiencies fighter already gives you, he has a lot of options regarding ranged anyway. Being higher level is a disadvantage as far as feat selection goes though. So some out of the box abilities might be more important than utility at this point. In which case, a few levels in ranger is an option.