PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Supplicant

kylehanson
2016-01-12, 09:37 PM
You are a young girl, growing up amongst a brood of respected, intellectual, and snobbish researchers and spellcasters, archivists and wizards. Spells are about power, they say, and learning. You had best study, youngling, because you won’t sit for a week if you get another question wrong on your exams. Exams covering a wealth of information, cold hard information, about powers and spells and the harsh realities of a far-away, theoretical life. You use your spellbook because it’s the only way you know how, but the divine feels, well, wrong this way. Too impersonal. Distant. Strong, but vacant, like the hollow eyes of a skull.

And then it happened. A voice whispering in your head, saying that you can have the connection you seek. A divine connection. The Powers That Be can be experienced, enjoyed – not simply controlled and managed. Perhaps worshiping a precise deity is too much of a leap for you, but you find comfort in the closeness of your newfound connection.

d6
BAB: Wizard
Saves: Good Will, Fort
Skills: 2+INT / Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, each Knowledge (separately), Profession, Search, and Spellcraft
Proficiencies: simple weapons, but no armor or shields. In fact, Supplicant’s incur the same spell failure from wearing armor while casting as arcane casters do.
Spellcasting: Supplicants prepare divine spells from a prayer book like an Archivist, from the same list, and also Intelligence-based. The Supplicant's spells per day is the same as a cleric. It is the Supplicant's domains that bring her closer to the true divine Powers That Be.
Domains: Choose 2 Domains to start and then add another Domain at level 6, 10, and 16. (This idea is based on the 3.0 Evangelist base class. I think it would fit with the concept of growing into union with The Powers That Be.)
Turn or Rebuke Undead (per cleric rules)

Alternatives for your valued consideration:
*Versatility: Like other variants I’ve seen, you can choose to (a) swap a(nother) domain, (b) swap turn/rebuke undead, or (c) spend a feat, in order to: get an enhanced domain, commonly, a domain power that’s either doubled (e.g. useable twice instead of once per day, or double the continuous bonus) or a separate power. (See LINK1, above.)
*Increase Power: Add a feat at first level, like Scribe Scroll or equivalent
*Decrease Power: simply get 2 Domains, rather than getting more over time.
*Decrease Power: only a good Will save (not Fort)

I’m principally interested in your thoughts on balance. I think this class is pretty moderate combination of a cleric and an archivist. Full disclosure: I intend to take a prestige class after this base class, and thus I am not worried about adding any higher-level bells and/or whistles.