PDA

View Full Version : Civ IV: Beyond the Sword

kpenguin
2007-06-13, 08:49 PM
So, anyone excited about the upcoming expansion for Civilization IV? I am. It looks to be awesome. One cool thing about these expansions is that, unlike other expansions, they actually change the way the game is played rather than simply adding on material.

Timarvay
2007-06-14, 10:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out when it is released, personally. One place said it was released on the 23rd, one on the 10th.

So yes, I'm excited.

Dragor
2007-06-14, 10:41 AM
Yes, I'm very excited about this. I thought it was about time they made a decent extension to the game- 'Future Technology' is not enough!

With that in hand, looking forward to this muchly. I'm hoping they improve the Vassal State system (maybe so you can install puppet rulers of your choice instead of just keeping the same ruler).

Flying Elephant
2007-06-14, 10:53 AM
I'm incredibly happy that lots of the fan-created mods will be in it. Fall from Heaven is awesome!

ZeroNumerous
2007-06-14, 11:00 AM
I'm incredibly happy that lots of the fan-created mods will be in it. Fall from Heaven is awesome!

Thats one thing I love about the switch to XML. Making a mod is much, much easier than before due to the modular-approach to XML design. So many more fan-made mods show up for the recent XML-based games.

Indon
2007-06-14, 11:04 AM
Now that I know of this, I must tell all of my friends, we must all buy this new expansion, and we will all play it.

Glaivemaster
2007-06-14, 11:19 AM
Beyond the Sword looks brilliant. Doesn't come out until mid-July for America, and the end of July for the rest of the world.

The scenarios all look to be worth playing, which is not something I'd usually say about Civ games. I don't usually play scenarios.

The thing I'm most looking forward to, though, has got to be the new espionage system. Getting spies just as the game is coming to a close never really cut it for me, but being able to use espionage from somewhere near the beginning sounds much better.

Also, making religion vaguely relevant in human games (via Holy Wars), and introducing Corporations both look like good ideas which help to set up unofficial teams in multiplayer games - something I'm much more interested in at the moment

kpenguin
2007-06-16, 02:13 AM
Indeed, corporations look to be what replaces religion for alliance building late-game. Also, the idea of anti-tank infantry is just awesome. Once you get to the modern era, tanks basicly own the offensive battlefield and this will help balance them.