PDA

View Full Version : I don't believe you understand the gravity of the situation. [PrC]

Kellus
2007-06-13, 11:14 PM
The Gravity Knight

Requirements

Base Fortitude or Will save of +4.
Must have fallen at least 200 feet in one fall.
Must have killed someone with gravity.

Hit Die: d8

Gravity Knight
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Ranged deflection

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Amplify gravity

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Center of gravity

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Zero-G jump

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Slow fall

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Gravity tunnel

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Gravitic stability

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Gravity well

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Gravitic flight

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Reverse gravity, gravitic reserve[/table]

Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int modifier

All of the following are class features of the gravity knight:

Ranged Deflection (Su): The gravity knight has a constant bending effect on gravity fields around himself. All nonmagical ranged attacks made against him have a chance of missing as they bend back upon themselves. He receives a chance (5%/class level) of avoiding damage from such attacks. This ability does not overlap with concealment. It applies to the same attack, seperately. For example, a 7th level gravity knight with total concealment has a 50% miss chance to ranged attacks due to concealment. If the attack would succeed, he then applies his 35% miss chance in another roll on the same attack, if it is nonmagical in nature.

Amplify Gravity (Su): At 2nd level, the gravity knight can manipulate the weight of other beings and objects. He may select any target within 100 feet + 20 feet/class level, including himself. The forces of gravity affecting the target are temporarily doubled. This means that they fall and fly downward at twice the speed they normally would, their speed is halved, and standing from a prone position becomes a full-round action. When this ability is activated, the target, if standing, must make a Balance check (DC 10 + 2 x class level) or immediately fall prone. They must continue to make this check for every round they are affected. This ability lasts for 1 round per 2 class levels. The target receives an initial Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 2 x class level) to avoid being affected at all. Activating this power is a standard action.

When this ability is activated, the gravity knight loses access to all of his class features for 2 rounds (until the beginning of his 2nd turn after he activates the ability).

Center of Gravity (Su): At 3rd level, the gravity knight receives a bonus to Balance checks equal to +2/class level. As well, standing from a prone position is now a free action. He can manipulate the forces of gravity to keep him upright even when knocked and buffeted around.

Zero-G Jump (Su): At 4th level, the gravity knight can manipulate gravity in order to allow an extraordinary leap. He may select any target within 100 feet + 20 feet/class level, including himself. The target receives a +3/class level bonus to the single next Jump check they make, so long as it is made within the next 3 rounds. In addition, they may make the jump with no penalty without a running start. Activating this power is a standard action.

When this ability is activated, the gravity knight loses access to all of his class features for 3 rounds (until the beginning of his 3rd turn after he activates the ability).

Slow Fall (Su): Beginning at 5th level, all falls made by the gravity knight are treated as being 10 feet/class level shorter than they actually are.

Gravity Tunnel (Su): At 6th level, the gravity knight may use his powers to bend the fabric of the universe and allow him quick transit between locations. When he activates this ability (a standard action) he may choose any spot within 10 feet/class level, and instantly appear in the space. He need not have line of vision to this location, but he must designate it precisely. For example, if aiming for a passage beyond a wall, he cannot simply say that he teleports to “the open area beyond this wall”. If he ends in a space already occupied, he is shunted to the nearest open square and receives 1d6 damage/5 feet shunted.

When this ability is activated, the gravity knight loses access to all of his class features for 4 rounds (until the beginning of his 4th turn after he activates the ability).

Gravitic Stability (Su): At 7th level, the gravity knight can manipulate his own weight to his advantage. He receives a bonus to being bull rushed, tripped, trampled, or overrun equal to +1/2 class levels.

Gravity Well (Su): At 8th level, the gravity knight can create a tangible gravity well that rips the fabric of space apart. Creating the well is a standard action. It occupies a space of 5 feet by 5 feet, and persists for 1 round per class level or until dismissed by the gravity knight. At the end of the gravity knight’s turn, any being in the same space as the gravity well takes 6d6 bludgeoning damage. Any being reduced to 0 hp or lower in this fashion is crushed by the forces of gravity pressing on them, and is reduced to a point of zero mass. A being killed in such a fashion requires a True Resurrection spell to be brought back to life, or a well-worded Wish spell followed by a different spell to raise the dead. As well at the end of the gravity knight’s turn, any being within 50 feet of the gravity well must make a DC 16 Fortitude save or be dragged 20 feet towards the well. Any movement made away from the well in a 50-foot radius is halved. The gravity knight is immune to all of these effects except for the bludgeoning damage and special death.

When this ability is activated, the gravity knight loses access to all of his class features for 5 rounds (until the beginning of his 5th turn after he activates the ability).

Only one gravity well can be made by the gravity knight at a time.

Gravitic Flight (Su): At 9th level, the gravity knight gains a fly speed of 40 feet (average maneouverability), as he learns to constantly manipulate the forces tying him to the ground.

Reverse Gravity (Su): At 10th level, the gravity knight can use this ability to cause a Reverse Gravity effect, with a caster level equal to his HD. Using this ability is a standard action.

When this ability is activated, the gravity knight loses access to all of his class features for 6 rounds (until the beginning of his 6th turn after he activates the ability).

Gravitic Reserve (Su): At 10th level, the gravity knight can give up his own health to augment his powers. By sacrificing half his total hit points, he may immediately regain use of his powers after having lost them due to using a class feature. This is an immediate action.

Alternatively, he may choose to forgo use of his stronger abilities in order to keep some measure of power himself. He may voluntarily double the amount of time required to regain his class features after using an ability, but during this time keeps the following class features: ranged deflection, center of gravity, slow fall, gravitic stability, gravitic flight. The choice to use this feature must be made when an ability is used, not later.

Callix
2007-06-13, 11:25 PM
Kinda nice but two Q's
1. How does someone with a +4 fort save and no casting (non-casting PrC) survive a 200ft fall? Ring of Feather Fall? I guess I answered my own question.
2. Does ranged deflection work on magic ranged weapons? (+2 bow, +3 arrows etc.)?
Otherwise, very cool and very new.

brian c
2007-06-13, 11:30 PM
Amplify Gravity (Su):
snip The target’s weight is temporarily doubled. This means that they fall and fly downward at twice the speed they normally would

So... is this one of those times that we ignore physics because it's cool to do so? To make this correct in terms of physics, you need to specify that he doubles the force of gravity relative to a certain object. Doing that would double falling speed, increasing weight doesn't necessarily do so.

Besides that though, it looks really fun. My only other concern is that the entry requirements are a bit low- if a character takes Great Fortitude as their level 1 feat, then drags another person with them off a cliff and casts feather fall on themselves, they can take their second class level in Gravity Knight.

Kellus
2007-06-13, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably toughen the requirements a little. The simple fact, though, is that it isn't a a particularly powerful prestige class, and it doesn't really matter if someone gets into it earlier, such as 4th level or so. Good call, however, I hadn't considered a character becoming a gravity knight at 2nd level. Hm...

Weight is mass after the force of gravity has been applied to it. Therefore, if you double the weight, you're not changing the mass at all; you're increasing the force of gravity on the individual without changing him at all. I might change the wording if this is unclear, but really, I don't think it's all that important. Crunch > physics.

As for the fall, it's entirely up to the PC how to survive it. I left it open-ended deliberately, because I love requirements where there are lots of ways to fulfill them.

Finally, no, ranged deflection does not apply to +1 arrows and the like. Magical projectiles pass through the field of warped gravity.

Thanks for the comments!

EDIT: I changed the requirements to either Fort or Will and dashed the feat. I want the class to be open to pretty much any base class, since it doesn't provide abilities that would be useful to only one kind of character. Now only classes such as Rogue will have to wait to get into this class, and it doesn't really hold much for them anyway.

brian c
2007-06-13, 11:53 PM
Weight is mass after the force of gravity has been applied to it. Therefore, if you double the weight, you're not changing the mass at all; you're increasing the force of gravity on the individual without changing him at all. I might change the wording if this is unclear, but really, I don't think it's all that important. Crunch > physics.

I agree that it's not particularly important, but you only said "double weight", which could be achieved either by doubling mass or doubling the pull of gravity. Granted, this being a Gravity Knight and all it should be easy to guess which one you meant, but I suppose I just like to make sure that things are spelled out so as to avoid any disputes or mis-interpretations.

Once again, I really do like this. Maybe the entrance requirement should be 8 ranks in Knowledge (Physics) :smallwink:

Callix
2007-06-14, 01:06 AM
Technically, weight is the downward force an object experiences due to gravity. Since mass has energy (e=mc squared) the easiest way to increase the weight is to increase the magnitude of the gravitational field. Since the force is doubled and the mass is constant, the object falls twice as fast (double acceleration). Since this is a viable solution for a magical world, this looks like a good explanation.

Do I make the Knowledge (Physics) check?

Maldraugedhen
2007-06-14, 06:43 AM
I don't think you needed to integrate the energy-mass equation in there--fairly simple without it.

F= G*m1*m2/r^2.

G is a universal constant. Mass is constant for the object, as is radius. In physics terms, the only way you could double the weight of an object with constant mass and distance to another body would be by doubling the individual object's G-constant, which is so amazingly physically impossible that it has to be the way that magi do it.

You need to put up a list of class skills. You listed how many skill pts / level, but not what class skills they have available.

How about, instead of requiring a gravity knight to have fallen two hundred feet or more, stopped an object (possibly themselves) that moved for two hundred feet without an interceding solid or liquid object slowing their rate of descent? This would be easiest with themselves, but they could catch somebody falling out of a tower and qualify, too, assuming they don't snap their own spine in the process.

Kyace
2007-06-14, 08:43 AM
The Gravity Knight

Requirements

Base Fortitude or Will save of +4.
Must have fallen at least 200 feet.
Must have killed someone with gravity.

Technically, it doesn't say 200 feet in a single fall. A level 1 fighter could fall 5 feet 40 times to qualify. Looks like a decent class for fighters, they lose 3 BAB & 5 feats, gain good Will, a fly speed and some other neat gravity effects.

A question, why is the fly speed 40 feet, average man.? If anyone could hover it would be someone who flies not by flapping their wings but by controlling gravity.

I imagine using Improved Trip with Amplify Gravity would be deadly. "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up."

Kellus
2007-06-14, 05:40 PM
I changed the requirements to be a bit more clear. The fall, obviously, needs to be all at once. Thanks for pointing out the ambiguity, though.

I considered a better manoeuverability, and I might indeed increase it. I just didn't want to be giving this guy too many amazing abilities, and I think average would probably be good enough.

Thanks for the comments!

Aramil Liadon
2007-06-14, 07:26 PM
I think that the wording is too unclear for non-physics geeks. The bio geeks just won't get the weight thing, Change the wording to "force of gravity", and everything will be more clear.
Also, this class needs a spellcasting requirement. It otherwise makes no sense.

Maldraugedhen
2007-06-15, 12:30 AM
Still needs class skills.

Falconsflight
2007-06-15, 06:14 AM
I like the class, Just one question. what is "Reverse Gravity" effect. I'm guessing it would be an opposite of the enhancing gravity one, that doubles the force of gravity... But it's not explicitly said.

Theodoxus
2007-06-15, 07:28 AM
I agree with the need for a spellcasting class.

There really isn't any fluff that could explain that just because someone fell 200 feet and survived and then tossed someone else over a cliff suddenly gives them insight in how to manipulate a physical LAW in ways that are impossible to science.

You basically, for the low low cost of a ring of Feather Fall, or 1 level in an arcane class, turn into Magneto with gravity affects instead of magnetics.

Reminds me of a gravity controller from City of Heroes.

Cool concept, poor implementation and background.

Its like Incantrantix - why wouldn't you take it, it's just that cool.

Matthew
2007-06-16, 08:42 PM
This really needs some explanation and flavour text.

EvilElitest
2007-06-16, 10:26 PM
This really needs some explanation and flavour text.

second that, no offense, but you really have nothing here, but it is a cool concept, pertically for a gith race
from,
EE