PDA

View Full Version : Magical Radiation and Mutations

SovelsAtaask
2016-01-14, 05:14 PM
Inspired by this thread, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?474816-Hilarious-(Or-AWESOME)-Setting-Combinations) I've decided that I'm going to start working on a world that's something like a fantasy version of Fallout. One thing I really want to incorporate is some sort of of system for the effects of absorbing magical radiation, like how rads work I'm the Fallout games.

I also want to incorporate mutations received due to this magical radiation, using the Metamorphica. If you don't know, the Metamorphica is a free, rules agnostic PDF with a massive list of mutations that you can roll for randomly.

I could easily just rip the radiation mechanic from Exodus or D20 Future, but I'm not sure what sort of effects there should be at each level. I don't know if getting Constitution damage from radiation sickness from absorbing wild mana feels quite right. I also don't know how often players should be hit with mutations if they take in enough magical radiation. Any suggestions?

DarkSonic1337
2016-01-14, 09:06 PM
You could try refluffing the taint (www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm) rules.

SovelsAtaask
2016-01-14, 10:01 PM
Oh, that's where those are. I was looking for the taint rules, but I looked in Elder Evils and gave up, for some reason.

Not entirely sure it's what I want, but I could use taint as a point of reference.

Lhurgyof
2016-01-15, 03:24 AM
In one of the monstrous compendiums put out by Athas.org for Dark Sun 3.5, there is a template called "swamp touched". It's for creatures mutated by a magic swamp. It might be a good place to start.

Darrin
2016-01-15, 06:52 AM
Exposure to flux slime can cause magical mutations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/obstacles.htm#fluxSlime).

If you're just looking for random magical effects, then:

Greater Rod of Wonder Effect Generator (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fdnd%2F20060807a)

Potion Miscibility Table (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b)

Wild Magic Tables (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/WildMagicTables.rtf)

unseenmage
2016-01-15, 06:53 AM
You could take a look at Pathfinder's Radiation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/hazards/environmental-hazards/radiation) rules and Mutant Template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/mutant-creature-cr-1).

The Mutant Template is somewhat lackluster but the Radiation rules work just fine.

Inevitability
2016-01-15, 11:05 AM
One of the online articles has a section on 'sickstone'. It's basically just magic uranium, except much more deadly.

Jeff the Green
2016-01-15, 02:48 PM
You could try refluffing the taint (www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/taint.htm) rules.

They're updated (and much improved) in Heroes of Horror. Instead of a penalty to Constitution/Wisdom, you have specific penalties for each symptom, and if you go above a taint score determined by your Constitution/Wisdom, you die and rise as undead or go insane.

unseenmage
2016-01-15, 04:10 PM
One of the online articles has a section on 'sickstone'. It's basically just magic uranium, except much more deadly.

There's even a Golem made of the stuff. (https://web.archive.org/web/20150921160549/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a)

Âmesang
2016-01-15, 04:51 PM
I recall the RED STEEL™ Campaign Setting having mutations of sorts, which was (loosely) updated in Dragon Magazine #315.

One such mutation is DR 2/red steel, which makes me wonder what ways it can be upgraded. Sure, not as good as DR/—, but it's unique. :smalltongue:

Manyasone
2016-01-15, 05:06 PM
I find the mutant template Darwin's World uses quite flavorful.
You'll have to look hard for a pdf or hard-copy, but nothing gets lost on the net, so...

mabriss lethe
2016-01-15, 07:07 PM
It may not be exactly what you want, but you could always refluff Incarnum rules to become a side effect of exposure to raw magic.

Alex12
2016-01-16, 01:02 AM
You could take and adapt Pathfinder's Numerian Fluids/Strange Fluids mutation table (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/afflictions/drugs/strange-fluids). There's some neat ideas there. As a side note, I find the idea of becoming addicted to radiation to be alarmingly cool.

SovelsAtaask
2016-01-16, 02:23 AM
My issue isn't coming up with mutations, I have that more than covered. My primary problems are figuring out how often mutations should be occurring, and how ability scores should be affected by gathering magical radiation, which I'm going to call Wild Mana.

Maybe some sort of percent chance, which goes up if you absorb higher amounts of Wild Mana? Something like...

1% for Light, 5% for Mild, 10% for Moderate, 20% for High, and 40% for High

Would Ability Damage to Constitution and Wisdom that can't be healed until you lower your level of Wild Mana make sense?

Also, would you even be interested in a game where your character could be randomly modified against your will by mutations? Some of the changes are minor, and others can be pretty severe.

unseenmage
2016-01-16, 02:43 AM
My issue isn't coming up with mutations, I have that more than covered. My primary problems are figuring out how often mutations should be occurring, and how ability scores should be affected by gathering magical radiation, which I'm going to call Wild Mana.

Maybe some sort of percent chance, which goes up if you absorb higher amounts of Wild Mana? Something like...

Would Ability Damage to Constitution and Wisdom that can't be healed until you lower your level of Wild Mana make sense?

Also, would you even be interested in a game where your character could be randomly modified against your will by mutations? Some of the changes are minor, and others can be pretty severe.

As a benchmark you should/could consider looking at the suggestions the folks here have so graciously linked you to. There you'll find the industry standards for what you're proposing.

As for player interest in being randomly modified I suspect that would change depending on the people involved so I advise discussing it with the GM and/or players involved to see if that's something they're into.

As for my opinion? Well I personally love the element of random in gaming and ratcheting that up pleases me greatly most of the time. However I have met players who are the polar opposite In fact I know one guy who quit a certain very popular card game because the element of chance was too much for his taste. So from my perspective it all comes down to a matter of taste where a player either loves the random or reviles it.

Additionally, I tend to work much less on my character stats that does the guy who dislikes the random too so there's that to consider.

SovelsAtaask
2016-01-16, 02:53 AM
As a benchmark you should/could consider looking at the suggestions the folks here have so graciously linked you to. There you'll find the industry standards for what you're proposing.

As for player interest in being randomly modified I suspect that would change depending on the people involved so I advise discussing it with the GM and/or players involved to see if that's something they're into.

As for my opinion? Well I personally love the element of random in gaming and ratcheting that up pleases me greatly most of the time. However I have met players who are the polar opposite In fact I know one guy who quit a certain very popular card game because the element of chance was too much for his taste. So from my perspective it all comes down to a matter of taste where a player either loves the random or reviles it.

Additionally, I tend to work much less on my character stats that does the guy who dislikes the random too so there's that to consider.

I've actually looked at most of the links provided, except ones that I have seen before or that just give me more random effects because I already have a table with around 1000 effects. I apologize if it seemed like I was utterly disregarding anyone.

And it's good to know that there's some people interested. A friend of mine was saying that people would have a problem with this sort of thing, but I'm glad to see that not everyone gets upset about this type of stuff.

Inevitability
2016-01-16, 09:28 AM
There's even a Golem made of the stuff. (https://web.archive.org/web/20150921160549/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a)

Whenever you hate your PC's, just throw a magical cancer golem at 'em.

Quertus
2016-01-16, 10:17 AM

IMO, the mutations table in tome of corruption is the best part of paying warhammer fantasy, so at least some people should enjoy this.

That having been said, how easily can people expect to be able to avoid mutations? Are there spells, creatures, classes, etc to detect infected areas? How can these mutations be cured?

Personally, I wouldn't use set percentages - I would go more for saving throw mechanics.

And, as others have mentioned taint, I'd consider making people make a save every time they cast a spell or use a spell like or supernatural ability, and a much lesser save for everyone nearby. Perhaps after combat, everyone makes a single fort save DC 10 + number of spells cast in the area or acquire a point of "taint". Perhaps every night, you make a fort save DC 10 + number of points of taint, or else gain a mutation; success or fail, your taint score is reduced by 1. And, of course, certain objects and areas make you save or gain taint at certain rates. Perhaps you also check for mutation the first time your taint score reaches certain thresholds, say every 5 taint.

Another idea: perhaps at low enough levels of taint, the mutations aren't permanent - they heal similar to ability damage. Or, to be more evil, perhaps they usually aren't permanent. At the lowest level, they usually last d20 hours or d10 days, but can last d6 weeks, d4 months, or even be permanent. At really high levels of taint, most mutations are permanent, but occasionally they are just a long lasting dwoemer.

SovelsAtaask
2016-01-16, 11:37 AM
That having been said, how easily can people expect to be able to avoid mutations? Are there spells, creatures, classes, etc to detect infected areas? How can these mutations be cured?

I'm definitely going to create spells to detect or ward off Wild Mana, but making up classes is a bit much for me at the moment. But there are plans to avoid mutations and Wild Mana. I'm going to take the Taint-Absorbing Items mechanic and just switch the word 'Taint' to 'Wild Mana'. Certain creature types might also be resistant to mutation, or some creatures might just be able to feel the presence of Wild Mana.

I'm thinking about going with Lesser Restoration or better to remove a mutation, but you can only be treated if you get help within 1d20 days, plus a modifier based on the amount of Wild Mana in your system. Maybe add a homebrew spell or location to remove mutations after the deadline. That could actually be pretty interesting... Sneaking into a sacred spring guarded by a fanatical anti-mutant sect of the Church of Pelor.

Personally, I wouldn't use set percentages - I would go more for saving throw mechanics.

And, as others have mentioned taint, I'd consider making people make a save every time they cast a spell or use a spell like or supernatural ability, and a much lesser save for everyone nearby. Perhaps after combat, everyone makes a single fort save DC 10 + number of spells cast in the area or acquire a point of "taint". Perhaps every night, you make a fort save DC 10 + number of points of taint, or else gain a mutation; success or fail, your taint score is reduced by 1. And, of course, certain objects and areas make you save or gain taint at certain rates. Perhaps you also check for mutation the first time your taint score reaches certain thresholds, say every 5 taint.

I was actually thinking of using saves and percentages in tandem. If you make the save, great, no ability damage, no chance of mutation. If you fail, you take ability damage and you might be mutated.

ShurikVch
2016-01-16, 01:26 PM
In Dragon #350 was "Magical Pollution" and "Creatures of Corruption" articles, which described hazards of arcane pollution, and have several related monsters: Alchemical Undead, Toxic Ooze; templates: Arcane-Blood Creature, Corrupted Creature, Poisonous Creature, Stonebone Creature

#357 have article "Defiled Monsters: Nature's Revenge"

SovelsAtaask
2016-01-16, 01:43 PM
Huh, haven't heard of those. Thanks. I'll try to see if I can get my hand on those issues.

Zetapup
2016-01-16, 06:07 PM
I was actually thinking of using saves and percentages in tandem. If you make the save, great, no ability damage, no chance of mutation. If you fail, you take ability damage and you might be mutated.

Out of curiosity, what are you going to do about creatures/classes that are immune to ability damage or heal it quickly (eg, binder with naberius)? Would they get a mutation without taking the damage?

Tetsubo 57
2016-01-16, 11:21 PM
Red Steel is a good resource as someone else mentioned. But I think another is Cook's Chaositech. I love Cook's earlier work.

ShurikVch
2016-01-17, 04:52 AM
There also were Mourning Mutate feat in Dragon #359, and Warp Touch disease in Book of Vile Darkness

Also, maybe Mixology of Magical Liquids (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b) will be useful?