PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Lord --> Pathfinder?

Hiro
2016-01-14, 06:14 PM
Is there a good way to translate the template to pathfinder? Or would the "Dread Vampire' template do largely the same thing?"

I was working on a character more for a narrative thing (possibly endgame Way of the Wicked character)

Like someone that was turned via the RP rules to it. (you take 5 feats after being bitten, then regain them in the form of the bonus feats the template gives)

I was thinking something like Vampire + Negative energy charged

Psyren
2016-01-14, 06:35 PM
Dread Vampire appears to be third party; I'd say the Paizo take on the VL would involve Mythic, though the Mythic Vampire (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-monsters/mythic-vampire) isn't quite as strong (e.g. still dies in 2-3 rounds of sunlight.) I'd give the MV the ability to survive in sunlight for rounds = tier or half tier.

Crake
2016-01-15, 12:17 AM
The vampire lord template was designed to make vampires more viable in higher levels of play, which is why it's LA+0, but requires your character to be at least 10th level (which for a vampire is ECL 18). This is intended to make up, at least in part, for the ridiculous amount of LA a vampire has, which I believe is less of an issue in pathfinder (being that LA=CR, and the CR increase of vampire is just +2, if I have my facts straight?). Pathfinder also has the spell protective penumbra with which vampires can use to protect themselves from the sun (though need to be careful of dispel magic).

Milo v3
2016-01-15, 12:51 AM
(being that LA=CR, and the CR increase of vampire is just +2, if I have my facts straight?).
To clarify this, what was HD+LA in 3.5e = CR in Pathfinder.

BWR
2016-01-15, 04:27 AM
To clarify this, what was HD+LA in 3.5e = CR in Pathfinder.

While simpler and moderately successful at low CRs, it can get really silly with certain creatures.

Hiro
2016-01-16, 02:26 PM
Well one thing I found that helps being an adventuring vampire is a wand of shrink item for the coffin (so you can shrink it, dump in pocket and there you go.)

And WotW has an item called "Cloak of the Daywalker" that allows them to be out in sunlight and only be treated as "light sensitive" as long as they wear it.

Another question:

What happens in the case of a vampire with clerical, inquisitor or paladin levels?

Do they just lose what they had and convert to negative energy channeling (obviously) and just grab a new patron deity? (In the case of clerics and paladins who probably just become antipaladins)

What about An inquisitor? (like a vampire hunter that got overpowered and turned as a form of "dark humor" by vamps) Do they jus tkeep what they have?

Psyren
2016-01-16, 02:55 PM
Well one thing I found that helps being an adventuring vampire is a wand of shrink item for the coffin (so you can shrink it, dump in pocket and there you go.)

Putting it in your pocket sounds like a bad idea - if you take too much damage and are forced into gaseous form, the coffin turns gaseous too and then you can never get inside it.

What you would need is to shrink it and then have someone else (e.g. a party member or minion) carry it.

Another question:

What happens in the case of a vampire with clerical, inquisitor or paladin levels?

Do they just lose what they had and convert to negative energy channeling (obviously) and just grab a new patron deity? (In the case of clerics and paladins who probably just become antipaladins)

What about An inquisitor? (like a vampire hunter that got overpowered and turned as a form of "dark humor" by vamps) Do they jus tkeep what they have?

Pathfinder removed the line from 3.5 about Vampire Clerics being restricted to certain domains or vampire arcane casters losing non-bat and non-rat familiars. Instead, we just have the two more general rules in the template - your alignment becomes evil, and your class levels stay unchanged.

What this means for a vampire paladin or vampire cleric of a good deity is that they will fall (having violated the One-Step Rule.) The same rule applies to Inquisitors. They can then convert to a new deity and regain whichever class powers they lost, via Atonement if necessary.

Hiro
2016-01-16, 03:32 PM
No Athetist clerics? Ones that focus on their spiritual beliefs; as if undecided in deity but still spiritual.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-01-16, 04:25 PM
While there is support in the rules for clerics that follow and gain spells from an ideal (and there are other sources of divine magic available to clerics, but those involve either high Mythic Tier people or powerful idol cults), in mainline Golarion it is impossible. There are other divine casters, however. Oracle might be attractive, since your Charisma pulls double duty in PF.

Hiro
2016-01-20, 04:42 PM
A vampire oracle with the bones mystery would be quite effective....

woudn't it?

But what kind of curse to go with it? I like the 3rd party one: unchained: which gives you a cha penalty to deal with outsiders but eventually breaks you away fromt he alignment system completely.