PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed If you rolled all 3's for stats what class would you play?

gooddragon1
2016-01-14, 07:43 PM
For 3.5 specifically. You roll 3d6 in order for your stats and you get all 3's (as in 3 1's for 3 STR... etc). And you're stuck with them. What class do you play (you can go more in depth if you want with race, feats, etc.)?

I choose Dragonfire Adept. Toughness at every level :X.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-01-14, 08:06 PM
A venerable spellhoarding white dragonspawn dragonwrought kobold with Epic Toughness? Try to get a casting of reincarnate ASAP :P.

If needed, add more templates to get int above 10.

Necroticplague
2016-01-14, 08:16 PM
(Token dip) Divine Minion->MoMF. You're a physical fighter who doesn't need physical stats (sure, mental stats are nice, but ultimately optional).

Dragonfire Adept is also good (especially once you get the Alter Self invocation), as you already mentioned=.

Warlock can be passable under this situation.

Flickerdart
2016-01-14, 08:23 PM
A different game.

Alex12
2016-01-14, 08:37 PM
Declare that I'm playing an Arctic Dwarf (Dragonborn optional). "Well, since my Dex is below zero, I am forever incapable of movement. I'm gonna reroll now."

Cerefel
2016-01-14, 08:41 PM
A warlock could work because it has range and targets touch AC, with no necessary casting stat if you take invocations without saves.

JNAProductions
2016-01-14, 08:58 PM
A different game.

Or just a different character. Unless the DM forces you to stick with your rolls-in which case...

A different game.

walfulninja
2016-01-14, 09:09 PM
Whatever I had planned on playing. It would be an awesome role-play opportunity to make the background and play the character, no matter what class.

ryu
2016-01-14, 09:13 PM
A different game.

Also check the dice for weighting out of spite. Roll them a few more times to see if anything that's not a one comes up. Those rolls are so unlikely I'd feel it necessary to check immediately.

ben-zayb
2016-01-14, 09:20 PM
You mean aside from possible Pun-Pun tier like adding Symbiotic template?

A Venerable Anthropomorphic Bat Druid. Minimum of 1 on Str/Dex/Con, and 12 (13 by 4th level) Wisdom is good enough for the first 6 levels, specially with Wild Shape on 5th and Natural Spell on 6th. Wilding Clasp Periapt of Wisdom seems doable by 7.

gooddragon1
2016-01-14, 09:26 PM
You mean aside from possible Pun-Pun tier like adding Symbiotic template?

A Venerable Anthropomorphic Bat Druid. Minimum of 1 on Str/Dex/Con, and 12 (13 by 4th level) Wisdom is good enough for the first 6 levels, specially with Wild Shape on 5th and Natural Spell on 6th. Wilding Clasp Periapt of Wisdom seems doable by 7.

Expand on the symbiotic template too. This is purely theoretical so anything goes.

Troacctid
2016-01-14, 09:40 PM
I'd play a Commoner with the Dirt Farmer and Unimportant NPC flaws. It's the perfect opportunity to roleplay as a humble dirt farmer. Plus, you get two bonus feats, so it's, like, totally overpowered.

gtwucla
2016-01-14, 10:19 PM
An arthritic old wizard with dementia, preferably not starting out at level 1. It could be interesting to play an elderly man losing grip on reality, but with moments of clarity that manifest into random specific knowledge or extremely powerful spells.

Triskavanski
2016-01-14, 10:24 PM
I'd play a potato!

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-14, 10:44 PM
It depends, What happens when you deal negative damage to someone?

Hengeyokai gets you out of trouble for the physical stats. Then dragonfire adept takes care of your damage situation. Be a fire breathing rabbit of doom!

ben-zayb
2016-01-14, 10:49 PM
Expand on the symbiotic template too. This is purely theoretical so anything goes.
A (Hagunemnon) Symbiotic Commoner Kobold has Alter Shape. Hagunemnons can easily change their size, so they are great guests.

Although looking back, it seems the (Ex) spellcasting you get from Alter Shape (among 3 other (Ex) things that will lead to Pun-Pun tier) won't work on a mental stat of 3. Of course, if you choose the other 3 (Ex) correctly, the minute ability scores will hardly be a problem too.

Crake
2016-01-14, 10:50 PM
An arthritic old wizard with dementia, preferably not starting out at level 1. It could be interesting to play an elderly man losing grip on reality, but with moments of clarity that manifest into random specific knowledge or extremely powerful spells.

Except you have 3 int, so you can't actually cast any spells, since they require 10+spell level int to cast.

ryu
2016-01-14, 11:02 PM
Except you have 3 int, so you can't actually cast any spells, since they require 10+spell level int to cast.

You actually get there with venerable and an int boosting race. From there all you need is INT boosting items as you level.

J-H
2016-01-14, 11:11 PM
Truenamer. Why not? The -4 penalty only has to be overcome once.

gtwucla
2016-01-14, 11:28 PM

I was thinking too that any amount of bonuses and such would only factor in in moments of presence, so maybe I'd roll a percentage roll, let's say 20 percent or so, that determines whether I can apply the bonuses and cast the spell (or do anything coherently for that matter). Ode a being these are spells I learned earlier in life and because of dementia and old age I have the ability scores that I have now. Of course I'd have to be cleared with the DM, but since I'd be checking myself I'd think it'd be alright. Could be fun for a one-off or a short campaign. I'd think the whole party would have to be my family though, otherwise, why would they put up with me?

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-14, 11:41 PM
I'd play a Commoner with the Dirt Farmer and Unimportant NPC flaws. It's the perfect opportunity to roleplay as a humble dirt farmer. Plus, you get two bonus feats, so it's, like, totally overpowered.

Yeah, I say we should double down on weakness and play a Commoner. Although I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to play with the Chicken Infested flaw.....

Go small or go home!

vorpalvolta
2016-01-14, 11:41 PM
The half dragon bard with the feat that allows inspire courage to add d6s of damage for each point of inspire.

Andezzar
2016-01-15, 12:53 AM
Declare that I'm playing an Arctic Dwarf (Dragonborn optional). "Well, since my Dex is below zero, I am forever incapable of movement. I'm gonna reroll now."It does not work that way. a) 3-2 = 1 so not below zero. b) stats cannot go below 1, not even through aging.

As for choice: Warlock with invocations that do not allow saves.

gooddragon1
2016-01-15, 01:40 AM
b) stats cannot go below 1, not even through aging.

Did not know that. I always thought that characters died if their con reached 0 from aging penalties (which sort of made sense to me in a flavorish way).

ryu
2016-01-15, 01:44 AM
Did not know that. I always thought that characters died if their con reached 0 from aging penalties (which sort of made sense to me in a flavorish way).

Remember kids, it's not time itself that kills you. It's the fact that you become more vulnerable to things as your body degrades, and you accrue more medical complications. The only reason we say people die of old age is as a shorthand for a myriad of problems that come with age that couldn't have been solved at the time.

Endarire
2016-01-15, 02:06 AM
Were I doing this for a fun challenge, probably Druid. My animal companion is still useful with its normal stats. I'd want Magebred and Warbeast to apply.

I'd also like to take Wild Cohort on this build because it's thematic and, hey, I need pets!

For race, Venerable Anthropomorphic Bat. I start with +9 WIS and am thus able to cast spells. I take summoning boosting feats like Ashbound and Greenbound. I win this exercise so long as I'm not hurt.

Max Caysey
2016-01-15, 04:01 AM
Whatever I had planned on playing. It would be an awesome role-play opportunity to make the background and play the character, no matter what class.

Wouldnt be that fun to play a spellcaster though.

But doent't the rules say that if the avarage is below 13 you re-roll?

ShurikVch
2016-01-15, 04:18 AM
Binder? (armed with blunderbuss?)

Florian
2016-01-15, 05:05 AM
Wizard.
You must not be able to actually cast the spells to fire of wands and scrolls.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-15, 05:13 AM
I'd start collecting old dragon magazines for unbalanced templates. I'd probably end up being a half minotaur half ogre half sock golem half party gnome etc etc to get my stats back up to, well, stat. After that I'd pick a class that suited whatever I had ended up with.

Taelas
2016-01-15, 05:23 AM
Wouldnt be that fun to play a spellcaster though.

But doent't the rules say that if the avarage is below 13 you re-roll?
If your highest stat is below 13 or the total combined bonus equals 0 or less. Since the total combined bonus here is -24, you'd qualify. Quite a few times over.

JyP
2016-01-15, 06:01 AM
Time to play a toad familiar !

Vizzerdrix
2016-01-15, 07:24 AM
Hmm... If I have to carry on with the character, then I'd go Divine Minion Diabolus into Fiend of Possession. I'd have to look into becoming undead at some point (wouldn't want to loose my types) and boosting my Wis for a spellstitching. Maybe start as venerable, boosting my mental stats and loosing nothing. If I can't get undead, then boost Cha enough to get a half decent minion from leadership and play as their equipment.

Can Half Giants become Necropolitan? Venerable Primordial half giant necropolitan sounds like a fitting mouthful for any DM that forces you to play a character with all 3s. Maybe as a warlock.

Mystral
2016-01-15, 10:35 AM
For 3.5 specifically. You roll 3d6 in order for your stats and you get all 3's (as in 3 1's for 3 STR... etc). And you're stuck with them. What class do you play (you can go more in depth if you want with race, feats, etc.)?

I choose Dragonfire Adept. Toughness at every level :X.

Something that dies quickly.

dascarletm
2016-01-15, 11:50 AM
This is obviously not a serious game, so I would play a monk.

Your bonus feats don't require you to qualify, so low stats doesn't matter. You will be woefully incompetent, but who cares I can run so fast no one can catch me.

Roleplaying such a character would be.... interesting.

I'm so weak I can barely carry anything
I'm so clumsy I make it easier to hit me than a statue of me
I'm so sickly a well placed blow at any level is a dire threat
I'm so dumb I'm barely smarter than a dog
I'm so unperceptive I can hardly tell what's going on
I'm so unlikable no one likes me

Andezzar
2016-01-15, 11:54 AM
You forgot: And still I chose one of the most dangerous professions there is. I must have a death wish.

Florian
2016-01-15, 11:59 AM
Come to think of it, there are some nifty Animal Companions around.
So with all 3s, you can play the AC while the druid is drunk back in town. At least a bit effective.

Ruethgar
2016-01-15, 12:23 PM
Maximized Empowered Awakened Advanced Monkey Wizard so your rolled stats don't actually do anything and you have a lovely 27int.

Or Animal Focused Snake Totem Druid Awakened Lizard and ride your constrictor into battle.

yellowrocket
2016-01-15, 12:28 PM
A pixie ghost monk. I cant hurt a damn thing, but almost nothing can hit me in the early levels.

Jormengand
2016-01-15, 12:45 PM
Truenamer. Why not? The -4 penalty only has to be overcome once.

This was my immediate thought too, although it's more like -8 because you always, always start with 18 INT if you're a truenamer. But, you can quickly start to overcome it (my sources say you should be able to make checks by level 3 (instead of the usual level 2) without having to put unrealistic amounts of effort or selling your soul to the Paragnostic Assembly, which I have never ever ever had a truenamer join. Auto-quickening should be possible around level 11 (whereas it's normally possible at level 7)), and you're anyway more likely to hit DC 17 with 4 ranks and skill focus than you are to hit any half-decent AC with that strength penalty, not to mention that mortalbane reversed minor word of nurturing's 3d6 damage is going to outclass a greatsword's 2d6-4.

Even I of all people am quite sad to have found a situation where being a truenamer is legitimately one of the best uses of your time.

Tvtyrant
2016-01-15, 12:48 PM
Chicken infested commoner with quick draw and puts all of his tiny skills into cooking. Opens a chain of fast food places based on his infinite food supply, uses the wealth to buy custom loot. Money is tier 1 afterall.

AmberVael
2016-01-15, 12:48 PM
You forgot: And still I chose one of the most dangerous professions there is. I must have a death wish.

Gee I wonder why. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2016-01-15, 12:49 PM
A pixie ghost monk. I cant hurt a damn thing, but almost nothing can hit me in the early levels.
What early levels? A pixie ghost has an LA of +9.

Jormengand
2016-01-15, 12:50 PM
Chicken infested commoner with quick draw and puts all of his tiny skills into cooking. Opens a chain of fast food places based on his infinite food supply, uses the wealth to buy custom loot. Money is tier 1 afterall.

I'm sure your +0 bonus to craft (cooking) and -2 penalty to diplomacy will help with that.

Segev
2016-01-15, 12:53 PM
Psion(Telepath)->Thrallherd.

It will suck until you can get into the class, but there's nothing saying that you actually have to be able to manifest - merely know - the powers that are prerequisites. (And you can probably get int-boosting items if needs be, though a +7 or more is hard to achieve.) Once in the class, you are the pathetic, largely unlikable blob that the Thrall takes care of obsessively and is strangely worshipped by a bunch of lower-level Believers.

ericgrau
2016-01-15, 12:58 PM
Without cheese? Yeah some way to substitute your character for something else like thrallherd.

Perhaps something with wildshape, but that still suffers from low HP. Lots of magic items might help with that partly, with wilding clasps if necessary.

yellowrocket
2016-01-15, 01:03 PM
What early levels? A pixie ghost has an LA of +9.

Forgot the adjustment on the pixie. Any other small or smaller races?

Florian
2016-01-15, 01:09 PM

Anthropomorphic ant?

Flickerdart
2016-01-15, 01:13 PM
Sparrow hengeyokai is excellent even without the ghost - LA 0 and -2 Wisdom for 50ft flight, Tiny size for +8 to AC, and 23 Dexterity. A sparrow hengeyokai warlock is an excellent defensive character that flies around and shoots lasers that wear down the enemy. Who cares if you can't aim when in human form? As soon as you go bird, you have +8 to-hit from size and +6 from your new Dexterity score. On touch attacks.

Warrnan
2016-01-15, 01:17 PM

This is basically Fizban. Love it.

LoyalPaladin
2016-01-15, 01:19 PM
Probably a Warlock. But I'll agree with Flickerdart, I'd really just go to a different game haha.

This is basically Fizban the fabulous. Love it.
I fixed that for you.

Tvtyrant
2016-01-15, 01:22 PM
I'm sure your +0 bonus to craft (cooking) and -2 penalty to diplomacy will help with that.

All I need to do is make enough to get a 1/day divine insight spell, then use that to get enough for a permanent +10 item, and so on. It will take me a while, but hey, that is money.

yellowrocket
2016-01-15, 02:19 PM
Sparrow hengeyokai is excellent even without the ghost - LA 0 and -2 Wisdom for 50ft flight, Tiny size for +8 to AC, and 23 Dexterity. A sparrow hengeyokai warlock is an excellent defensive character that flies around and shoots lasers that wear down the enemy. Who cares if you can't aim when in human form? As soon as you go bird, you have +8 to-hit from size and +6 from your new Dexterity score. On touch attacks.

This is a perfect idea. If I ever do an animal campaign or a solo adventure this is going to be my character.

Can I sign the idea so Idon't lose it?

roko10
2016-01-15, 02:23 PM
I pick a Warrior and "accidentally" stab myself and die. Hey, I still get rerolls for a new character, right? :smallbiggrin:

Jay R
2016-01-15, 02:37 PM
If I were going to play such a character, I'd commit to it.

He'd be a Commoner - a pimply-faced kid who ran away from home where he wasn't appreciated. He intends to become a great Warrior, and show all the folks back home who never believed in him just how great he really is. Then they'll be sorry they picked on him! Especially Eleanor, the girl next door!

If he survived the first adventure, then in the second one he'd be out to become a great wizard. Then a Rogue, Ranger, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, whatever. If he successfully leveled up, his levels would all be "Commoner", biut he'd remain convinced that if he keeps trying, he'll be great someday.

This would continue non-stop until the DM couldn't stand his whiny, annoying voice any more, and demanded that I re-roll.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-15, 02:49 PM

Tiny size doesn't grant +8 to Hit & AC! More like +2....

Quertus
2016-01-15, 02:50 PM

Wizard.

A) Wizard. Because that's what I was going to play anyway, and I've always wanted to play a wizard who couldn't cast spells.

B) ancient elven wizard with the fast trait and vulnerable flaw. AC 4, saves -5/-5/0, and permanently at 0 HP. This character should die as fast as possible, allowing me to roll up a new character. It'll be fun to play while it lives.

C) pixie rogue or bard. Stealth, flight, UMD.

D) petal paladin. Playing particularly puny petal paladins punishes pedantic play styles. Probably pursuing vow of peace.

E) paragon human. Instead of trying to pick the best of the worst, play as the worst of the best.

F) homebrew.

That's +8 to hit: +2 from size, and +6 from dex? Not +14: +8 from size and +6 from dex, right?

Jormengand
2016-01-15, 02:55 PM
I want to see how well all these characters stack up against each other, now.

Flickerdart
2016-01-15, 03:19 PM
Tiny size doesn't grant +8 to Hit & AC! More like +2....
Sorry, I meant to type Fine.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-01-15, 03:30 PM
Come to think of it, there are some nifty Animal Companions around.
So with all 3s, you can play the AC while the druid is drunk back in town. At least a bit effective.

I think this may be the way to go. Maybe even go wizard. Have your character hole up somewhere with some scrolls for emergencies (felt through the empathic bond) and play the familiar.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-15, 04:27 PM
Sorry, I meant to type Fine.

Oh, are they really that small?? Wow.

Ruethgar
2016-01-15, 04:41 PM
I want to see how well all these characters stack up against each other, now.

Advanced Maximized Empowered Awakened Monkey Wizard 1
HP: 64
Str 7, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 27, Wis 12, Cha 9
BaB: 6.5
Skills: 100 points, max rank 10
Normal Wizard stuff with awe inspiring Intellect for an ECL 1 plus massive health and BaB.

Awakened Lizard Lycan Bloodline 1/Snake Totem Animal Focused Druid 1/Beast Master 1
HP 33
Str 3, Dex, 15, Con 10, Int 3, Wis 12, Cha 5

Animal Companion: Constrictor:Yuanti Improved
Large Animal(Dragonblood)
Hit Dice: 14d8
Speed: 20ft, 20ft climb 20ft swim 30ft glide
Armor Class: 21 (-1 Size, +4 Dex, +8 Natural)
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 2
Feats: Dragontouched, Bestial Nature, Dragon Wings, Improved Dragon Wings, +3 More
Tricks: 15 is too many

Flickerdart
2016-01-15, 04:42 PM
Oh, are they really that small?? Wow.
You turn into a sparrow. Sparrows are literally smaller than your fist.

ericgrau
2016-01-15, 06:13 PM
Wizard.

Doesn't work for scrolls. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#activatetheSpell)

Works fine for wands and staffs, but so does a DC 20 UMD check. Also, a cleric with the magic domain can do the same except he gets access to both wizard and cleric spells. Might be better than attempting a DC 20 UMD check for a character with 3 cha.

mabriss lethe
2016-01-15, 08:43 PM
A silverbrow bard with dragonfire inspiration and draconic aura:

-you'd still have enough skill points to keep Perform maxed, so Bardic music is still on the table.
-You can wand bard spells
-Draconic aura (picked up at 3rd level) gives you a passive ability that, when coupled with your dragonblooded status, will scale somewhat with level.

daremetoidareyo
2016-01-15, 10:19 PM
This is a perfect idea. If I ever do an animal campaign or a solo adventure this is going to be my character.

Can I sign the idea so Idon't lose it?

I would go Dragonfire Adept X/totemist 2 with flyby attack, strafing breath, and open crown chakra. Bind 3 fold mask of chimera to your crown chakra and double strafe everything every other turn. Firebreathing sparrow of DOOM!

atemu1234
2016-01-15, 10:28 PM
A warlock could work because it has range and targets touch AC, with no necessary casting stat if you take invocations without saves.

Warlock would work. Pretty much the only thing that would. Have the party fighter carry you around while you shoot laser beams.

Alex12
2016-01-16, 12:28 AM
It does not work that way. a) 3-2 = 1 so not below zero. b) stats cannot go below 1, not even through aging.

As for choice: Warlock with invocations that do not allow saves.

Regular dwarf has a -2 Dex penalty, but Arctic Dwarf has a -4 Dex penalty. Also, Dragonborn gets a further -2 Dex penalty. 3-4=-1. And if you go Dragonborn Arctic Dwarf, 3-6=-3.
Really, could go for any race that has a -4 (or larger) penalty to a stat other than Int, or a race with a -2 Dex penalty and then go Dragonborn.

And I dunno where you're getting the "stats can't go below 1" thing from. Age can't bring stats below 1, true, but the exact wording in the age section (PHB 109), which discusses the effect of aging, is that "none of a character's ability scores can be reduced below 1 in this way." (emphasis mine). Stats can't go below 1 due to age, but that's a specific case. After all, if ability scores can't go below 1 for any reason, then ability damage, ability drain, and the like become much less dangerous.
Also, the section on assigning ability scores and adjusting them by race (PHB page 11) is relevant. It says that "if these changes put your score above 18 or below 3, that's okay, except in the case of Intelligence, which does not go below 3 for characters." Note that Int is specifically called out, and that there aren't any other stats mentioned in any way related to what we're discussing. There is absolutely no reference to being unable to go below 0 anywhere that I can find. Of course, if you've got something that says otherwise somewhere I didn't spot, I'd be happy to hear it.
The way I'd fluff it, if I had to, is that the mother Arctic Dwarf was exposed to some horrible chemicals during gestation, and so the baby was essentially born with all his joints fused together, and died soon after. It was a horrible tragedy, and to this day, there's an old woman in an obscure dwarf clan in the northern mountains who, every year, visits a small cave and serves vigil for her son.

Andezzar
2016-01-16, 01:46 AM
Regular dwarf has a -2 Dex penalty, but Arctic Dwarf has a -4 Dex penalty. Also, Dragonborn gets a further -2 Dex penalty. 3-4=-1. And if you go Dragonborn Arctic Dwarf, 3-6=-3.
Really, could go for any race that has a -4 (or larger) penalty to a stat other than Int, or a race with a -2 Dex penalty and then go Dragonborn.You are mistaken. Regular Dwarf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#dwarves) is DEX +0. Depending on where you look Arctic Dwarves are either -2 (RoF) or -4 (SRD/UA)

And I dunno where you're getting the "stats can't go below 1" thing from. Age can't bring stats below 1, true, but the exact wording in the age section (PHB 109), which discusses the effect of aging, is that "none of a character's ability scores can be reduced below 1 in this way." (emphasis mine). Stats can't go below 1 due to age, but that's a specific case. After all, if ability scores can't go below 1 for any reason, then ability damage, ability drain, and the like become much less dangerous.
Also, the section on assigning ability scores and adjusting them by race (PHB page 11) is relevant. It says that "if these changes put your score above 18 or below 3, that's okay, except in the case of Intelligence, which does not go below 3 for characters." Note that Int is specifically called out, and that there aren't any other stats mentioned in any way related to what we're discussing. There is absolutely no reference to being unable to go below 0 anywhere that I can find. Of course, if you've got something that says otherwise somewhere I didn't spot, I'd be happy to hear it.You are right, I misremembered that part, I thought it was for all Abilities. I never mean that Ability damage couldn't bring an Ability score to 0.

Frosty
2016-01-16, 03:51 AM
I'd play a Synthesist Summoner, so my physical stats don't really matter. I can't cast spells, but I'm a competent fighter now at least.

Alex12
2016-01-16, 04:13 AM
You are mistaken. Regular Dwarf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#dwarves) is DEX +0. Depending on where you look Arctic Dwarves are either -2 (RoF) or -4 (SRD/UA)

I stand corrected. I play dwarves approximately never, and I'll admit I just assumed. Of course, it's not like they're the only race that gets a -4 to something other than Int, especially if you can drop templates on them.

jedipilot24
2016-01-16, 09:53 AM
A venerable human Fighter with Improved Unarmed Strike. If you're allowed flaws, pick Frail. Go Leroy Jenkins in the first combat so you get killed and can then roll up something better. With new dice.

KillianHawkeye
2016-01-17, 02:13 AM
Wait guys, let's not forget to take the Pathetic flaw to knock one of those scores (besides Int) down to 1. :smallbiggrin:

Which should we choose? I'd say Constitution. I want to be killed by a sudden strong breeze.