PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Oracle Help

Blackhawk748
2016-01-14, 10:14 PM
So ill be playing my first actual Pathfinder campaign this weekend and i need a hand. I plan on playing a Ghoul Bone Oracle and on having him be a bit of a gish and control and create undead (preferably ghouls), which Oracle does fairly well with. The only for certain party member is a Drow Anti Paladin who will become a Grave Knight, and i will become a Dread Ghoul eventually.

So ill be starting as just a Ghoul, and then my second level will be Oracle and ill be choosing Bones as my Mystery, Branded as my Curse and my first level feat will be Weapon Finesse, as Ghouls get a bunch of Dex. After that im not sure. Stat generation is 20 point buy from the Core book, thanks in advance.

Aldrakan
2016-01-15, 01:14 AM
You might consider Warren Digger, a ghoul only feat that can give you a burrow speed from 1st level. Very few low level enemies are going to be able to do anything about that mode of transport, even if it is slow.

Early on you'll be extremely dangerous in melee, three natural attacks and a good chance to paralyze. Not sure how your DM is handling the paralysis DC, but if it's not scaling (whether it scales based on HD and Char mod or not seems to vary by what variant ghoul entry you're looking at) it will quickly stop being nearly as good and it's hard to keep natural attack damage up. Of course if you end up with a small army of ghouls, supplemented by animate dead, and some good gish spells, that should handle things.
Beware of bogging combat down too much with an army of ineffectual undead though. A small number of more powerful minions should work better and be a lot easier to handle at the table.

I assume Undead Servitude is one of the first if not your first revelation - whether you can lead ghouls by dint of becoming simply a powerful ghoul is very DM-dependent, can't say much there. Just remember that your animate dead and command undead minion pools are separate. As a dread ghoul especially you'll want to save the latter for any unusual undead you encounter - you can get a lot of utility out of them if you encounter the right ones.

People over 4 HD infected with ghoul fever become ghasts, which Dread Ghouls can't control, but ghoul fever is no use in combat anyway, you already want to be infecting people who can't fight back.

There are also some nonhuman ghoul variants, worth seeing if you can create them.

Geddy2112
2016-01-15, 10:55 AM
I second warren digger as a feat you should pick up early on, for utility. Finesse is good since you can bad touch through your curse and ghoul paralysis. For stats, you can totally dump con since you will be undead, max charisma, dump strength unless carrying capacity is enforced, dump wis, max dex, leftovers to int.

You have inflict wounds to heal yourself, might want a wand of CLW or even the spell early on to heal your buddies, if your DM will allow an undead to cast such. Otherwise just pick buff/debuff spells a la carte. Spells like bless and other party buffs will really gain steam when you have minions at your disposal. Also, your charisma is going to be really high so debuffs will have a high save DC.

Blackhawk748
2016-01-16, 10:49 AM
Ok, so heres what ive got, and i have no real idea where im going with this after 3rd level:

20 point buy Before Racials:
Str:13
Dex:14
Con-
Int:14
Wis:7
Cha:16

Acheron Rayne Ghoul 1/Bones Oracle 19
Str:15, Dex:18, Con-, Int:16, Wis:11, Cha:20
Traits: Magical Knack and Brigand
Skills: Bluff, Disguise, Knowledge Arcana, Perception, Sense Motive,
Spellcraft, Stealth

Feats
1st: Weapon Finesse
3rd: Warren Digger
5th: Warren Digger
7th: Probably Leadership
9th:
11th:
13th:
15th:
17th:
19th:

grarrrg
2016-01-16, 12:51 PM
5th: Warren Digger (if i find out i like it, otherwise Multiattack)

Multiattack is only useful if you plan on using a Weapon with your natural attacks.
All of your Naturals are Primary to begin with, so none of them take a penalty normally. And picking up a weapon means you'd lose at least 1 Claw attack, so you'd be down to Weapon/Bite/Claw.

For the lower levels at least, you're probably best just focusing on all naturals, and getting an Amulet to enhance them, an Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) Amulet at that.

It'll be a good while before a Weapon might be worth using instead.

Blackhawk748
2016-01-16, 01:06 PM
Multiattack is only useful if you plan on using a Weapon with your natural attacks.
All of your Naturals are Primary to begin with, so none of them take a penalty normally. And picking up a weapon means you'd lose at least 1 Claw attack, so you'd be down to Weapon/Bite/Claw.

For the lower levels at least, you're probably best just focusing on all naturals, and getting an Amulet to enhance them, an Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) Amulet at that.

It'll be a good while before a Weapon might be worth using instead.

Ah, ok. I was thinking it was still like 3.5, nice to know i can save a feat.

Also, for the enchanting, does that work like in 3.5, get an amulet of Natural attacks and just have it enchanted 3 different times?