PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Indominus Rex (Pathfinder) (Peach)

Debihuman
2016-01-15, 07:17 AM
INDOMINUS REX CR 12
XP 19,200
N Gargantuan animal
Init +5; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +37

DEFENSE
AC 21, touch 7, flat-footed 20 (+1 Dex, +14 natural, –4 size)
hp 230 (20d8+140)
Fort +19, Ref +13, Will +10
Defensive Abilities fortification (50%)

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee bite +27 (4d6+32/19–20 plus grab), 2 foreclaws +25 (2d6+8 plus grab), tail slap +25 (2d8+8)
Space 20 ft.; Reach 20 ft.
Special Attacks swallow whole (2d8+16, AC 17, hp 23), Roar

STATISTICS
Str 42, Dex 13, Con 24, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 10
Base Atk +15; CMB +35 (+39 grapple); CMD 46
Feats Awesome BlowB, Bleeding Critical, Critical Focus, Diehard, Endurance, Improved Critical (bite), Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Multiattack, Run, Skill Focus (Perception)
Skills Intimidate +10, Perception +37; Racial Modifiers +8 Intimidate, +8 Perception
SQ camouflage, powerful bite

ECOLOGY
Environment warm forest and plains
Organization solitary, pair, or pack (3–6)
Treasure none

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Awesome Blow (Ex): An indominus rex gains awesome blow as a bonus feat. It can use any of its natural attacks to send creatures that are Large sized or smaller flying 10 feet into the air, as the feat in all other respects.
Camouflage (Ex) An indominus rex can take one minute to blend in with natural foliage to gain a +4 bonus on Stealth checks.
Powerful Bite (Ex) An indominus applies twice its Strength modifier to bite damage.
Roar (Ex) As a standard action, an indominus can unleash a terrifying roar. All creatures within 100 feet with fewer HD than the indominus rex become shaken until out of range unless they succeed on a Will save (DC 27). The save DC is Constitution-based.

The indominus rex is an apex predator that measures 40 feet long and weighs 18,000 pounds.

Creation Notes: I based this off the T-Rex. Not sure if I did this right or if the CR is correct.

bookguy
2016-01-15, 07:04 PM
First, looking at internal consistency between the numbers:
-Fort +19, Ref +13, Will +10
-The secondary attacks should only deal +8 damage, not +16.
-Swallow whole should have 23 hit points (1/10th of the creature's total).

Other Critiques:
I'm not certain why you listed Awesome Blow separately as an ability. Do you intend for it to work differently than the feat?
I'm not good at CR either, but I'd call this CR 12 or 13.

Debihuman
2016-01-23, 10:41 PM
First, looking at internal consistency between the numbers:
-Fort +19, Ref +13, Will +10
-The secondary attacks should only deal +8 damage, not +16.
-Swallow whole should have 23 hit points (1/10th of the creature's total).

Other Critiques:
I'm not certain why you listed Awesome Blow separately as an ability. Do you intend for it to work differently than the feat?
I'm not good at CR either, but I'd call this CR 12 or 13.

Doh, somehow I misread the charts for saving throws. And doubled secondary attack (because I'd forgotten I'd doubled the bite attack). Fixed swallow whole too.

Awesome Blow is listed separately because it can use any of its natural attacks to use it and it is limited to Large size or small, otherwise it works like the feat as stated. I'll make the text clearer too

Thanks

Debby

inuyasha
2016-01-23, 11:17 PM
Looks like a pretty good monster to me! Big scary dinosaur, always fun.

If I did it right, VT's calculator says this is CR 13, so I think that's a pretty good estimate.

I find it a little funny that it's a gargantuan animal capable of hiding itself in natural foliage for a whopping +4 not including any size penalty. But I also wouldn't remove it because a gigantic T-Rex attempting to crouch behind a bush or tree is hilarious to me.

Debihuman
2016-01-24, 09:13 AM
It's more hiding behind a cluster of trees (hence dense foliage) rather than a single tree. You'd see the tail sticking out if it were just one tree, although it could camouflage its tail to look like branch I suppose. This is the sort of stuff that looks so much cooler on the movie screen than it looks on paper. I almost made it a chameleon effect to emphasize how good it was at blending in but decided that was overkill. It still takes a -12 size penalty to Stealth checks but at least it has a chance to spring out at unwary PCs.

VT's calculation works for 3.5 but not so much with Pathfinder since Pathfinder has some built-in power creep. If I were doing this for 3.5, it probably would be a solid CR 13. When I looked at Pathfinder's own set of monster creation rules, it's closer to CR 12.