PDA

View Full Version : Water Elementals and Water Mastery

Crake
2016-01-15, 08:50 AM
Ok, so I have a player wanting to play a water genasi with a water elemental companion, but we quickly saw that water elementals have water mastery, which has the horrifically painful -4 penalty to attack and damage rolls if either it or it's target is on the ground (as opposed to, presumably, in the water). Is there any way to mitigate this? Feats, or something? Anything short of not having a water elemental will do, though it is a level 1 game to begin with.

Tiri
2016-01-15, 09:07 AM
You could remove the whole Water Mastery ability and say it's a water elemental that just happens to function better on land.

Segev
2016-01-15, 10:47 AM
Constant create water effects could ensure that there's water covering the ground everywhere, but won't prevent foes from simply standing in it and still count as "touching the ground;" it just makes it a -4 penalty and a +1 bonus (for a net -3). Actually getting them off the ground is trickier.

What level are you? Can you get hallucinatory terrain? If so, illusions could let you make the ground seem to vanish, hide treacherous terrain, and let you place things like floating disks which would be the "safe" footholds...and now that your foes are on those, they're not touching the ground.

I'm sure there's a better way to go about this, though.

ATHATH
2016-01-15, 11:10 AM
Is Water Mastery supernatural? If so, you can remove it with Ability Rip or Spurn the Supernatural (if I remember correctly).

Crake
2016-01-15, 02:51 PM
Is Water Mastery supernatural? If so, you can remove it with Ability Rip or Spurn the Supernatural (if I remember correctly).

It is Ex unfortunately.

What level are you?

That was answered in the OP, level 1 :smalltongue:

I'm currently considering a feat which allows the water elemental to ignore the -4 penalty while maintaining the +1 bonus (essentially making the feat almost weapon focus+ which I don't think is too bad).

ATHATH
2016-01-15, 04:34 PM
Alternatively, just give the elemental an unimportant flaw and give it a feat that will counteract the bonus.

Crake
2016-01-16, 02:26 AM
Alternatively, just give the elemental an unimportant flaw and give it a feat that will counteract the bonus.

That's kinda what I went with, the slow flaw for it's swim speed, and a feat to get rid of the penalty while on land and increase it's base land speed to 30 so it can keep up with the party. So it's more acclimated to land, at the expense of it's speed in the water.

And since both he and his water elemental are getting water devotion (which i'm allowing to be used with the water from his elemental companion) I said that any elemental made using the water from his companion would be similarly acclimated, but not ones that he summons without it's water, or ones summoned using summon nature's ally.