PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropy alignment

Anime Squirrel
2016-01-15, 02:10 PM
Quick question. Is the alignment change only during transformation?

JNAProductions
2016-01-15, 02:19 PM
Probably up to the DM. My personal ruling? It's only during the transformation, and you can make Wisdom or Charisma (not sure which) saving throws to retain your true self.

Anime Squirrel
2016-01-15, 02:24 PM
Those were my general thoughts aswell. Preplanning a character and want to make sure i can rp the way i intend. Internal conflict and all that.

JNAProductions
2016-01-15, 02:27 PM
You know, I actually just had a character get bitten by a werewolf. I'm hoping to get him cured soon, but if not... It'll matter a lot.

Osrogue
2016-01-15, 03:11 PM
Yes, but if you want the ability to transform voluntarily, your actual alignment changes to match the lycanthrope form.

I'm not really a fan of voluntary transformation, though outside of natural lycanthropes, which I don't think have rules at the moment.

Sigreid
2016-01-16, 02:38 AM
RAW, you can maintain your alignment until you surrender to the beast.

The only exception to this seems to be the were bears. What I read in the text indicates that they are just as pulled by savagery as the others, but hunt down those who contract their condition but are not willing to isolate themselves from others so that their beast heart does no harm. They still feel the savagery, but it seems they only allow those who never fully give in to survive with the curse.

On a side note, I think it's way too easy to cure lycanthropy. I dare say it's no harder than curing a cold or the flu in game.

djreynolds
2016-01-16, 02:43 AM
In the PHB, AFB, so bear with me, races like orc and such still retain some aggression as the were created to be slaves, subservient, etc. and unlike the elves and such who were given free will. So I would have to assume lycanthropy was, by whoever created it, not a nice thing. Except for bears who are cute and cuddly.