PDA

View Full Version : Discworld RPG

Kurald Galain
2007-06-14, 02:30 AM
I got a PM asking to tell about the Discworld RPG, and I thought I might as well do that in public. Pterry ftw!

It's based on GURPS, and comes in two books (named Discworld and Discworld Also). I believe there's also an OTE version, but that may have been homebrew. YMMV with respect to representing the plot-heavy Discworld with the rules-heavy GURPS, but as GURPS books go the book has a lot of ideas and flavor even if you use a different ruleset (I wouldn't really recommend D&D for Discworld either, come to think of it).

Well... it starts with the basics, like explaining DW races (including zombies, yeti, etc) and the locations, cities, and so forth. It has lengthy descriptions of the various quarters of Ankh-Morpork, plus background on Discworld deities, info on some of the important characters from the books (some of which, in terms of stats, are quite scary, but then if you read the books you knew that) and several of the weird animals like the Puzuma.

Of course, if you have the DW encyclopedia and/or are a hardcore fan, you'll know most of this already, but unlike the 'pedia it's grouped by topic rather than alphabetical.

What makes the book interesting for an RPG is the things you can do (and should consider) for character creation. You can quite easily play a god, which nets you one worshipper and, well, not much else but perhaps you can conjure lettuce? Or an anthropomorphic personification. Or other exotics, with feats for dwarven (lack of a) sense of humor, and the Barbarian Hero's honor code.

There's spells like Englebert's Enhancer (which makes anything <foo> more <foo>), putting kingdoms to sleep, and tapping narrativium. And of course the Rite of AshkEnte. All in all it contains a lot of fun stuff that would be prohibited by the laws of logic in other worlds.

GolemsVoice
2007-06-20, 07:01 AM
Hmm, do you happen to know where one can find the books? I would give my soul and my firstborne to bring those into my possesion.

Callix
2007-06-20, 07:07 AM
I know where one set is.... but it's in a Melbourne library... silly me (Melbourne Uni Rowden White (union) Library)

Kurald Galain
2007-06-20, 07:17 AM
All the usual places, like eBay, your local gaming store, and conventions. It's a GURPS book, I believe SJOG has an online store?

Jayabalard
2007-06-20, 09:51 AM
warehouse23 is the online store that SJ games uses.

http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG8121
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG6061