PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Champion Alternative class feature

Ivogel
2016-01-15, 08:11 PM
This feature replaces the Indomitable feature

9th level:
Practice makes perfect: After you perform a critical hit, you gain one 'crit die', which is a d6 (crit dice pool = max 3)

When you perform a critical hit, you may choose to add any number of crit dice you have available to your damage roll.

When you finish a long rest, your crit dice pool empties.

13th level:
When you roll initiative, you gain 1 crit die if you don't already have one in your pool.
Your crit dice become d10's

17th level
Your crit dice pool maximum becomes 6.
Your crit dice become d12's

If you feel the champion fighter is an underpowered class you can also add this feature to the champion's 3d, 7th and 10th level martial archetype feature

i like the champion subclass but i do think the champion's improved critical could be more potent.
I think this feature allows the champion some tactical choices while still keeping the class simple, and also adding some devastating attacks. You could build up your crit dice pool during the day while fighting lesser enemies and be a huge threat to tougher enemies later, even with sword and board/two-weapon style

JNAProductions
2016-01-15, 09:03 PM
Except it's still reliant on crits. Meaning you have only a 1/20 chance of getting to use your crit pool when you need it.

The idea isn't bad. The execution is.

deathbymanga
2016-01-15, 10:26 PM
I actually really like this idea. You basically hold every critical hit you make, over and over, and unleash it all on one attack.

Question though. what if you crit with a Greatsword? Do you only get to keep 1 of the d6s or do you keep both of them? if it's the later, does this stack with Sneak Attacks? smites?

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-15, 11:37 PM
Perhaps do something more akin to my Fighter's critical strike?

"Critical Strike: Once per short rest, when take the Attack Action, you may use a bonus action to make one of your weapon attack a critical hit. At 18th level you may use this feature twice per short rest. This ability may be used only once per round."

Do something that makes using your feature not about luck, but about choice.

You need to keep the champion simple, simplicity is the main draw to the subclass.

So how about this....

At the end of a long rest you roll a d4 and add the average of your Int, Wis, and Cha modifiers (negative modifiers are equal to 0 and the bonus to your crit dice roll has a minimum of 0. This is the number of crits you may perform throughout the day by using a bonus action.

Then you can give the champions features to be able to regain crits that they expended or reroll their initial crit roll.

Superior Critical: At the end of a long rest you have advantage on crit dice rolls to determine the number of crits you have until your next long rest.

Ivogel
2016-01-16, 03:57 AM
Except it's still reliant on crits. Meaning you have only a 1/20 chance of getting to use your crit pool when you need it.

The idea isn't bad. The execution is.

Actually because of the champion's improved critical ability you would crit on a 19-20 at 3d level and a 18-20 at 15th level. If you get advantage, your crit chance doubles for every attack again (which the fighter has a lot of)

Ivogel
2016-01-16, 04:04 AM
I actually really like this idea. You basically hold every critical hit you make, over and over, and unleash it all on one attack.

Question though. what if you crit with a Greatsword? Do you only get to keep 1 of the d6s or do you keep both of them? if it's the later, does this stack with Sneak Attacks? smites?

If you crit with a great sword, you could choose to keep 1d6 or 2d6 (Having 1 or 2 crit dice in your pool respectively) If you keep the 1d6 your damage roll would be 3d6+bonus, if you keep 2d6 it would be 2d6 + bonus.

I think this feature favors High damage dice weapons more because of the limited crit pool. (when you get a crit pool of 6 the great sword becomes a bit better)

If you sneak attack or smite you can only choose to keep the extra dice of the weapon used to perform the crit, but if you sneak attack or smite critically, you may choose to add your crit pool to it of course.

WarrentheHero
2016-01-16, 12:13 PM
Questions about 13th level feature: Is this one die of any weapon you have? Or the one you're wielding? If the latter, what if you aren't wielding a weapon at combat start?

How does this interact with Versatile weapons? Can I add a d10 even if I'm one-handing a Longsword at combat start? Based on previous questions, can I add a d10 from a Longsword to my pool even if I'm not wielding it at all and I'm instead wielding a different weapon?

I know I'm being a bit of That Guy, but I've always found it important to look at things from That Guy's perspective for balancing reasons. I'm also a literalist when it comes to language in general, so that makes it even more rules-lawyer-sounding.

Ivogel
2016-01-16, 12:53 PM
Questions about 13th level feature: Is this one die of any weapon you have? Or the one you're wielding? If the latter, what if you aren't wielding a weapon at combat start?

How does this interact with Versatile weapons? Can I add a d10 even if I'm one-handing a Longsword at combat start? Based on previous questions, can I add a d10 from a Longsword to my pool even if I'm not wielding it at all and I'm instead wielding a different weapon?

I know I'm being a bit of That Guy, but I've always found it important to look at things from That Guy's perspective for balancing reasons. I'm also a literalist when it comes to language in general, so that makes it even more rules-lawyer-sounding.

Nice catch, the wording needs to be clear-cut after all.
Let's say the crit die itself has no value but it becomes the damage die of the weapon you are wielding whenever you use it to enhance a crit. so for a versatile weapon (longsword) a 1d8 one-handed and a 1d10 two-handed. So if you aren't wielding a weapon when the battle starts you just get a crit die that becomes for example a d12 if you crit with a great axe and choose to use it.

That keeps it simple and leaves it unable to be abused, i'll edit my first post to take this into account

JNAProductions
2016-01-16, 01:01 PM
Use a Greatsword to nab two crit dice. Switch it out for a greataxe on the next fight. You just doubled the damage you get, effectively.

Ivogel
2016-01-16, 01:19 PM
Use a Greatsword to nab two crit dice. Switch it out for a greataxe on the next fight. You just doubled the damage you get, effectively.

Yeah, edited again.
Now you only get a maximum of 1 crit die per critical hit. this favors the great sword on a crit because you would still do 3d6 damage vs the greataxe's 1d12, but the great axe has the advantage of bigger crit dice when you use it to enhance a crit and also the half-orc's improved critical favor the greataxe so it kinda balances it out.

another possibility is just giving 1 crit die on any critical hit, without having to 'hold back' the extra damage dice. Does this seem balanced or is that too much? Maybe reduce the pool available?

Thank you for your feedback

Ivogel
2016-01-18, 08:36 AM
Revised and edited