PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a simple Shadow Craft Mage

Sashahyd
2016-01-15, 08:12 PM
I am a fairly inexperienced DnD player, previously me and my group have only played through one set of characters and those characters were only up to level 13. Our next set of characters is a bit short on casters so I am interested in playing a heavily illusion based character. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to build up to shadowcraft mage, what feats I need, and how to play a heavy illusionist since I have never done it before. All help is greatly appreciated.

Note: Sorry if I created the thread incorrectly or anything like that

Kraken
2016-01-15, 08:17 PM
If you're looking for a companion class to go along with shadowcraft mage, shadowcrafter, in Underdark, fits quite well thematically.

Jack_Simth
2016-01-15, 08:19 PM
Well, There's a handbook for that (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5638.0), although there's a big gotcha:

If the optimization of your character is significantly out of line with the optimization of the other characters at the table, that's a problem. If you're too much stronger than the others, then the DM has a problem: If he throws something at the party that will challenge you, everyone else will get steamrolled and maybe be unable to meaningfully contribute if the beast focuses on you. If he throws something at the party that will challenge the rest of the party, you'll steamroll over it and everyone else will have a propensity for feeling redundant. Neither of those is a particularly attractive option for your DM.

Now, the opposite (being overly weaker than the rest of the party) is also a problem, but if you're getting optimization advice from here for your RL gaming group, it's unlikely that your character will be the cause.

2016-01-15, 08:40 PM
I am a fairly inexperienced DnD player, previously me and my group have only played through one set of characters and those characters were only up to level 13. Our next set of characters is a bit short on casters so I am interested in playing a heavily illusion based character. I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to build up to shadowcraft mage, what feats I need, and how to play a heavy illusionist since I have never done it before. All help is greatly appreciated.

Note: Sorry if I created the thread incorrectly or anything like that

The handbook previously posted is very helpful, and more than a few people around here (myself included) probably have some direct experience with that PrC. Before we advise you, it might help to know what level you're playing at...and what optimization level your group is at, since that makes it easier to fit your character to their power level. What are the other players making?