PDA

View Full Version : +0 LA races with natural weapons

sengmeng
2016-01-15, 08:42 PM
I have a build in mind that needs a natural attack, but it uses all 20 levels. I need to be able to get a natural attack from my race and maybe one feat. Must also be living, non-humanoid, and not psionic.

Troacctid
2016-01-15, 08:44 PM
Warforged have a natural slam attack.

Necroticplague
2016-01-15, 08:45 PM
I assume your going for a soul eater build? Warforged have a slam attack, and can use feats to pick up a second slam and a bite attack.

They're also constructs (not humanoid), but living ones, without any normal psionic ability, so they meet all your qualifications.

Albions_Angel
2016-01-15, 08:48 PM
Dont kobolds get a bite?

LordOfCain
2016-01-15, 08:49 PM
Dont kobolds get a bite?

Surprisingly no. Hm... or at least not regular kobolds.

Malimar
2016-01-15, 09:05 PM
Surprisingly no. Hm... or at least not regular kobolds.

There was a wizards.com article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) once upon a time that suggested they be given a natural bite, along with the more noteworthy Slight Build trait.

LionOfComarre
2016-01-15, 09:11 PM
Shifters get natural attacks with some forms, but it only lasts a set number of turns, like a barbarian rage.

SovelsAtaask
2016-01-15, 09:26 PM
Kobolds also aren't humanoids, if you take the Dragonwrought feat.

WhamBamSam
2016-01-15, 10:19 PM
If you can scrape 8 ranks in Knowledge (The Planes), any race can get a bite attack from Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment: Hunger Domain). There are also Deformity feats which give you natural weapons, so it's possible to add a natural weapon effectively feat free to any race if you can get away with being dedicated to an Elder Evil.

Silverbrow Human gets an extra feat which can be spent on Dragon Tail, Shape Soulmeld (Claws of the Wyrm), or Shape Soulmeld (Dragon Tail) to get a natural attack. Throw on Unseelie Fey or the Otherworldly feat (using the Celestial Attended Birth option in Champions of Valor, which admittedly could be a bit awkward for a Soul Eater) to change the type without needing a level adjustment. You could also use an Unseelie Fey version of any of the other Dragonblooded subraces. If you're going for Soul Eater, then Dragonborn isn't an option, but I'll mention it for completeness sake, especially as the option to switch out an existing feat for Dragon Tail is potentially useful if you've got a bonus feat from somwhere that you don't need.

Dragonwrought Kobolds are nonhumanoid and get a Bite/Claw/Claw routine per the RotD Web Enhancement as others have said. Dragon is also a valid type for Rapidstrike, which is potentially significant.

Warforged have been mentioned already. They can also get an additional slam and a bite through Warforged feats if you're so inclined.

Elans and Synads are LA+0 Aberrations and can take Hidden Talent (Claws of the Beast) to get natural weapons that are effectively up whenever you need them. Aberration is a valid type for Rapidstrike.

Daklyr Half-Bloods are LA+0 Aberrations and I think one of the potential symbiote things counts as a natural attack.

If your DM is nice and lets you get away with LA+0 (Cohort), Beguilers and Treesym are LA+0 magical beasts with natural weapons. Magical Beast is a valid type for Rapidstrike.

That's what I've got off the top of my head, but I suspect there's more that I've just forgotten about.

sengmeng
2016-01-15, 11:00 PM
I assume your going for a soul eater build?

Yeah, that's why warforged, while technically qualifying, leave a pretty cheesy taste in my mouth.

atemu1234
2016-01-15, 11:10 PM
Yeah, that's why warforged, while technically qualifying, leave a pretty cheesy taste in my mouth.

Then willing deformity is the build you should go with.

IIRC, don't tibbits get a bite attack in cat form?

Rebel7284
2016-01-16, 01:51 AM
Most Anthropomorphic animals get some natural attack.

There some some magic of incarrnum race that gets some sort of elbow spikes.

Cerefel
2016-01-16, 03:07 AM
There some some magic of incarrnum race that gets some sort of elbow spikes.

That would be Skarn IIRC.

Necroticplague
2016-01-16, 07:44 AM
?
What's cheesy about it? It's not like saying they qualify requires a weird interpretation or obscure rule. It's fairly straightforward.

Anyway, to contribute to the main topic, every creature has an unarmed strike, so technically everyone has at least one natural weapon, so any non-humanoid qualifies for those requirements.

Inevitability
2016-01-16, 08:09 AM

Why? Just fluff it as the warforged being envious of living creatures. He knows that because they are alive, they'll experience thousands of sensations he'll never feel, and it has made him hate living things. One day, a mysterious stranger (fiend in disguise) approached him and gave him the power to drain energy from the living, claiming that if he just ate enough souls, he would become living himself. Depending on whether the fiend was lying or not, you might even take the Reforged prestige class later.

Darrin
2016-01-16, 08:55 AM
Kobolds get claw/claw/bite as per the web article.
Darfellen (Stormwrack) get a bite.
Kenku (MM3) get claw/claw.
There's something in Dragon Compendium that has a tail/stinger/poison thingy... Diabolus?
Tibbit I think gets something in cat form.
Krynn Minotaur (Dragonlance) gets a gore.
Nezumi (OA) get something that sorta works like a natural attack.
Spiker (Planar Handbook) gets armor spikes that are called natural weapons but use the rules for armor spikes instead.

Inevitability
2016-01-16, 09:25 AM
There's something in Dragon Compendium that has a tail/stinger/poison thingy... Diabolus?

Diabolus, yes, but they're LA +1.

sengmeng
2016-01-16, 09:58 AM
?
What's cheesy about it? It's not like saying they qualify requires a weird interpretation or obscure rule. It's fairly straightforward.

Anyway, to contribute to the main topic, every creature has an unarmed strike, so technically everyone has at least one natural weapon, so any non-humanoid qualifies for those requirements.

That's not a natural weapon. Natural weapons don't provoke attacks of opportunity.

Necroticplague
2016-01-16, 10:22 AM
That's not a natural weapon. Natural weapons don't provoke attacks of opportunity.

Are you sure?

Magic weapon gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls. (An enhancement bonus does not stack with a masterwork weapon’s +1 bonus on attack rolls.)

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

A fanged ring grants its wearer the Improved Unarmed Strike feat and the Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) feat. If the wearer deals a critical hit with an unarmed strike, he also deals 1 point of Constitution damage to the creature struck.
+

Prerequisite

Natural weapon, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit

Choose one of the creature’s natural attack forms. The damage for this natural weapon increases by one step, as if the creature’s size had increased by one category.

Seems pretty clearly a natural weapon to me.

sengmeng
2016-01-16, 11:43 AM
Are you sure?

Seems pretty clearly a natural weapon to me.

Yes I'm sure the definition of natural weapon says that they don't provoke attacks of opportunity. That's in the definition. Your example (your lone example, as the other says natural attack, not natural weapon) comes from a spell description. Which one should we trust? At the very least, I wouldn't describe it as "clear."

Necroticplague
2016-01-16, 11:51 AM
Yes I'm sure the definition of natural weapon says that they don't provoke attacks of opportunity. That's in the definition. Your example (your lone example, as the other says natural attack, not natural weapon) comes from a spell description. Which one should we trust? At the very least, I wouldn't describe it as "clear."
Improved Natural Attack does refer to the thing selected as a natural weapon. I bolded it in my fourth quote.

Anyway: Specific overides general. Generally, natural weapons don't provoke attacks of oppurtunity, but this, specific, one does (unless you have the appropriate feat). Just like how generally, Greatswords are martial weapons but Koarti Resin Greatswords are exotic weapons

sengmeng
2016-01-16, 12:27 PM
Improved Natural Attack does refer to the thing selected as a natural weapon. I bolded it in my fourth quote.

Anyway: Specific overides general. Generally, natural weapons don't provoke attacks of oppurtunity, but this, specific, one does (unless you have the appropriate feat). Just like how generally, Greatswords are martial weapons but Koarti Resin Greatswords are exotic weapons

I'll keep this in mind the next time I'm creating a soul eater build and you're my DM.

ShurikVch
2016-01-16, 12:57 PM
How about the Dragon magazine?

#317 have Gruwaar (Small Fey), and T'kel (Medium Monstrous Humanoid); both have 2 Claw attacks

Necroticplague
2016-01-16, 02:13 PM
I'll keep this in mind the next time I'm creating a soul eater build and you're my DM.

Sorry. I was unaware your DM had ruled on that issue, rendering the actual rules irrelevant.

More on topic, muckdwellers are LA: 0 and have a bite attack. Monstrous humanoid type.

Inevitability
2016-01-16, 04:30 PM
More on topic, muckdwellers are LA: 0 and have a bite attack. Monstrous humanoid type.

Also Tiny, though. A natural weapon build might not be the best idea.

Necroticplague
2016-01-16, 04:52 PM
Also Tiny, though. A natural weapon build might not be the best idea.

Only if you're looking for flat damage. If simply hitting is more important than the damage it does (such as, say, trying to deliver two negative levels on a hit), +2 size to hit, +6 Dex, Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, and ability to blind people means hitting is pretty easy to do relative to some other racial choices.

Ravens_cry
2016-01-16, 10:56 PM
Tibbit I think gets something in cat form.

They get a bite and two claws, but they're Tiny as cats.

atemu1234
2016-01-16, 11:00 PM
They get a bite and two claws, but they're Tiny as cats.

As mentioned above, size is not important to a Soul Eater. They like to kill by bestowing massive amounts of negative levels.

Troacctid
2016-01-16, 11:13 PM
Yes, but being tiny also means you have no natural reach, so any time you want to attack an enemy in melee, you have to provoke an attack of opportunity to enter their square, which is somewhat inconvenient to say the least.

Ravens_cry
2016-01-16, 11:17 PM
As mentioned above, size is not important to a Soul Eater. They like to kill by bestowing massive amounts of negative levels.

OK, fair enough. Honestly, though this is nothing new, if it's anything like the web version I found, the requirements are rather silly. What does Alertness got to do with it?

Necroticplague
2016-01-17, 12:04 AM
Yes, but being tiny also means you have no natural reach, so any time you want to attack an enemy in melee, you have to provoke an attack of opportunity to enter their square, which is somewhat inconvenient to say the least. Eh, on the flipside, it also means you can very easily benefit from 'vs. people bigger than you' feats. Including some that remove that AoO.

OK, fair enough. Honestly, though this is nothing new, if it's anything like the web version I found, the requirements are rather silly. What does Alertness got to do with it?

Based on the prerequisites, I think it was intended for you to have some arcane ability and some martial ability before entering. Know (arcana) and Alertness from a familiar, Weapon focus and BaB from martial class.

The Viscount
2016-01-17, 12:46 AM
Daelkyr half-blood seems the most natural to me. Aberrations which can have a claw gauntlet for a claw attack to start. They can switch for the tongue symbiont for a sting so they have both hands free for whatever. That is, assuming that this is going off the "only one negative level per round" interpretation, and not the "as many as you have natural attacks" interpretation. If the interpretation is the second, then I'd recommend more tibbit. Several will recommend a dip in CE soulborn to keep your original strength while in cat form. I agree with them.