PDA

View Full Version : Catapult spell

Mjolnirbear
2016-01-15, 10:54 PM
Can someone confirm this spell from the Elemental Evil Player's companion for me?

It seems to be telling me that it goes in a straight line until it hits a solid surface or a creature fails its dex save. So if the first creature made its dex save, the creature behind him might be caught.

Is this the correct interpretation?

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-15, 11:15 PM
Can someone confirm this spell from the Elemental Evil Player's companion for me?

It seems to be telling me that it goes in a straight line until it hits a solid surface or a creature fails its dex save. So if the first creature made its dex save, the creature behind him might be caught.

Is this the correct interpretation?

Yes.

At least that is how I see it. It would be weird if the item stopped moving because it didn't hit a solid object or creature.

Also this balanced the spell a bit, if you have an ally in the other side of an enemy and the enemy passes their dex save...

Edit

I didn't mean to insinuate that the base spell is broken, just that the fact that it isn't party friendly makes the interpretation of *keep going until no save/hits solid object* balanced.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-16, 09:12 PM
A wizard rail gun take a hand crossbow take the arms off is enchant two metal plates Expediest retreat take a gem and enchant it with catapult take some build a container to hold about 5 sling bullets the put it all together and you got a sling bullet going X2 the catapult speed aka a railgun

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-16, 10:22 PM
A wizard rail gun take a hand crossbow take the arms off is enchant two metal plates Expediest retreat take a gem and enchant it with catapult take some build a container to hold about 5 sling bullets the put it all together and you got a sling bullet going X2 the catapult speed aka a railgun

Dude, commas and periods are our friends. I'm not typically a grammar nazi, but that is one hard paragraph to read.

Dalebert
2016-01-16, 10:41 PM
It goes "up to" 90 feet which means you can choose that it doesn't go that far. If you have an enemy at 50 feet and an ally at 60 feet, just choose for it to only go 50 feet. If you have a line of enemies running down a corridor, just have it go the full distance.

Flashy
2016-01-17, 05:22 AM
And of course when cast through an 8th or 9th level slot it's a no save Halfling-B-Gone.

Drawmj's Instant Kender Remover. Removes even the most persistent Kender without scrubbing.

JackPhoenix
2016-01-17, 07:50 AM

It doesn't work that way. RAW, you can't make custom items in 5e in the first place. Expeditious Retreat is self only, and even if it wasn't, the bullet isn't a creature with actions or movement speed, so giving it the ability to use Dash as a bonus action would do exactly nothing. It doesn't modify your speed in any way by default.

For a wizard railgun, don't mess with crossbows or anything, just use Wand of Catapult (custom item) in the shape of a tube.

Dalebert
2016-01-17, 11:04 AM
It doesn't work that way. RAW, you can't make custom items in 5e in the first place.

Joke ruined. :smallcool:

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-17, 11:28 AM
And of course when cast through an 8th or 9th level slot it's a no save Halfling-B-Gone.

Drawmj's Instant Kender Remover. Removes even the most persistent Kender without scrubbing.

Halfling are creatures and not objects, however it will work on dead halflings... :smalltongue:

Of course I guess most people don't think of Kenders as creatures and treat them as objects...