PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fallen Angel decendent; Aasimar, Tiefling, or something else?

Xuldarinar
2016-01-16, 12:27 AM
Not so much of an aspect of discussion for a distinct character, but a question.

An individual who would be an aasimar is the decedent of a fallen angel. Are they an aasimar (and if so, what is the most suitable heritage), a tiefling, or are they best represented with something else all together?

Conversely, what of the decedent of a fiend who has redeemed themselves? Would/should/could there be a difference?

Zaydos
2016-01-16, 01:13 AM
Are they descended from the angel before or after the fall?

In D&D's Planescape cosmology I can think of 2 fallen angels off the top of my head (Beliel and I can't remember how to spell its name) and both are fiends now and I'd say would have tiefling descendants.

In 3.5 they made Asmodeus a fallen angel and I'd also go tiefling.

I can't say more precisely for PF not being familiar with its planar fluff, though my standard answer would be if they changed into a fiend when they fell (Beliel and Asmodeus have Baatezu traits, the other one was considered a yugoloth) then it'd be a tiefling for sure, if they end up something unique it'd require more thought to deal with how they work in setting, before they fell aasimar.

DrMotives
2016-01-16, 01:24 AM
I agree with Zaydos. The good or evil subtypes are part of what the exemplar are. That tag, [good] or [evil] is part of their physical makeup. If the child is conceived while a celestial, or after the fall changes that alignment tag and determines what sort of heritage the family has.

Xuldarinar
2016-01-16, 01:43 AM
You make a fair point. One problem in it is, it is never explicitly stated (to my knowledge) in pathfinder if a fallen angel retains the good subtype or if it is handed in for the evil subtype. I would say after they fall. It shouldn't matter what the angel did after they contributed to the family tree.. (though there are sorcerers of the martyr bloodline)

I do note I explicitly mean a fallen angel, and not one of those ones that have become something else (devil, demon, ect.). If thats relevant, then there it is.

Arbane
2016-01-16, 02:00 AM
Pathfinder actually has one specifically for this:

Peri (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/peri) are "believed to be the descendants of fallen angels", and Peri-Blooded Aasimar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar#TOC-Peri-Blooded-Emberkin-) are a thing.

Xuldarinar
2016-01-16, 02:04 AM
Pathfinder actually has one specifically for this:

Peri (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/peri) are "believed to be the descendants of fallen angels", and Peri-Blooded Aasimar (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-aasimar#TOC-Peri-Blooded-Emberkin-) are a thing.

I glad you mentioned that one.

Would you say Fallen Angels and Peri (their decedents who do penance for their ancestors' sins) are close enough to say that the "Mortal" decedent would be an emberkin either way?

Arbane
2016-01-16, 03:08 AM
I glad you mentioned that one.

Would you say Fallen Angels and Peri (their decedents who do penance for their ancestors' sins) are close enough to say that the "Mortal" decedent would be an emberkin either way?

It would work for me.

(Mind you, I'm the guy who wants to put a Risen Balor as a major good NPC in a game, so my views on D&D cosmology are a trifle heterodox.)

Spore
2016-01-16, 07:21 AM
Our DM used the stats of an Erinnye for a major NPC fallen angel. Then again, he uses an evil Solar or Planetar as another fallen angel so I guess it's mix and match? But this supports my view. Whichever crunch best supports the fluff - be it Tiefling or Aasimar. If it makes a difference the Erinnye was corrupted to the point where her essence was so filled of thirst of revenge that she cannot be an angel any longer and she now supports our endeavors while the Solar/Planetar chose the evil when it was offered to him.

Xuldarinar
2016-01-16, 10:30 AM
I appreciate the input. I must ask, to address a secondary question as put in the original post;

What about the inverse? A decedent of a "risen"(?) fiend. Such a fiend could be one like that succubus paladin people love to invoke in discussions.