PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need guide for a paladin. Warlock build

Sir cryosin
2016-01-16, 07:44 AM
Ok I'm a paladin lv2 and I like a lot of the bladelock aspect and stuff from the warlock what I need help with is a leveling guide like what level should I start taking levels and warlock and what level should be paladin

Daishain
2016-01-16, 09:05 AM
Levels can be taken in any order for a multiclass with little long term impact. This isn't set up like 3.5 in that respect.

The principle concern is which class features you can or cannot stand to wait on.

Paladins (like many other classes) gain a lot of power at level five. Extra attack, their mount, etc. By then, the awesome auras are also within reach.

So far as I'm concerned, the primary points where branching out to another class won't be too painful would be level 2, Level 6 (for all oaths other than ancients), and level 8 (for ancients)

newsman77
2016-01-16, 10:17 AM
Might I ask what about the Bladelock interests you so much?

The problem is paladin has a lot going for it. Level 5 is an extra attack, which is a big deal. Then at level 6, you get +CHA to your saves, and not just you, but everyone within 10 ft. I can't tell you how many times this has come in handy in our game. Level 7 could also be big depending on the Oath you took. Delaying these abilities could hurt more than help.

I'm in a similar situation with my Ancients Paladin. We're level 7 and I've wanted to dip Warlock so bad now, but it's hard to give up those features, at least until 7 or 8. I will eventually dip warlock for the invocations, rechargeable spell to smite with and Eldritch Blast. No more spears for me. :)

Sir cryosin
2016-01-16, 11:45 AM
I'm playing in a 3 pc group with a Goliath storm sorcerer, variant tiefling rouge assassin, then me paladin were at lv 2 so I haven't taking a oath yet the Dm is fair but can be challenging I'm not all to much about smiting right now I am the tank healer my build so far is revolving around BB we take a lot of shorts rest so I was thinking the warlock slots would be perfect for me right now for healing and buffing on and one more question

Should I got undying light warlock or undying DM is pretty open to test material

Corran
2016-01-16, 12:43 PM
Go sorcerer 3 for shield, blur, mirror image, spell slots, and quicken spell (you also can still get BB). That will make you a decent tank. For buffing/debuffing you can take twinned metamagic and advance more on sorcerer.

bid
2016-01-16, 02:46 PM
The template paladin/warlock is:
- paladin 6 for aura of protection first,
- warlock 2 for extra smites every short rest

With a sorcerer and a rogue, damage is pretty well covered. You should pick a defensive oath: ancient or devotion depending on your RP concept.

With this template, tomelock is the best choice. You already have extra attack from paladin 5 and you won't reach bladelock 12 for lifedrinker. Calling your weapon back to your hand is the only thing you'd get from bladelock.

Since you take many rests, the warlock levels might be more important than extra attack. OTOH if you can grab inspiring leader at pally 4 which would reduce your healing needs.

If you want a bladelock gish, it usually goes fighter 1 / bladelock 5 with gwf but you could paladin 2 / bladelock 5. That'd make an all-offensive party.

You could also go paladin 6 / sorcerer 3, but that's a choice you'll make once you reach level 6.

Corran
2016-01-16, 03:55 PM
You could also go paladin 6 / sorcerer 3, but that's a choice you'll make once you reach level 6.
I had paly2/sorc3 in mind. That will help him tank really hard by 5th level. And if he wants to be a tank (so I assume SnB), then the weapon cantrips will essentially be his ''extra attack'' at character level 5. Then, he can level up either one of those classes (or even further mc, for example 2 warlock levels will help him spam shield more times, and that is useful if he has many encounters during the same adventuring day) according to what his group needs or to what he simply likes.

bid
2016-01-16, 04:19 PM
I had paly2/sorc3 in mind. That will help him tank really hard by 5th level. And if he wants to be a tank (so I assume SnB), then the weapon cantrips will essentially be his ''extra attack'' at character level 5. Then, he can level up either one of those classes (or even further mc, for example 2 warlock levels will help him spam shield more times, and that is useful if he has many encounters during the same adventuring day) according to what his group needs or to what he simply likes.
Yeah, scag's cantrips solve the extra attack nicely. But I feel waiting until level 6 for aura of protection beats getting blurr at level 5, hands down.

And you cannot cast shield without warcaster since both hands are busy (assuming SnB too).

Sir cryosin
2016-01-16, 05:29 PM
I stared as a half elf variant so I with with high elf get a cantrip and I picked BB I just got to say with that cantrip me and the Mexican Goliath storm sorcerer name juan be killing it with BB I engage the enemy with BB he hits it with lighting lure then the enemy has to move to get to someone setting off BB and the tiefling roge she sits back picking people off whit her shortbow.

So I think I'm going to at least wait tell 4th lv so I can grab war caster after that I don't know if I should go sorcerer for metamagic or warlock for short rest recharge spell slots

Corran
2016-01-16, 05:51 PM
Yeah, scag's cantrips solve the extra attack nicely. But I feel waiting until level 6 for aura of protection beats getting blurr at level 5, hands down. That depends, really. Aura of protection is amazing, agreed. But in this party, there is a sorcerer, a rogue, and the paly, who is the only tank, and who is going to be the target of almost every single attack (assuming the rogue and the sorcerer play smart). So, in this particular case, I would say that blur is extremelly important. Actually it is not just blur, it is the whole combo. AC 21, blur and numerous spell slots to spam shield appropriatelly.

And you cannot cast shield without warcaster since both hands are busy (assuming SnB too). Correct. But I would say that he would have to take this feat anyway, instead of resilient con. Because with warcaster, he can cast BB as an OA, and that adds to the tankiness of the character, whch is extremelly important, considering that his allies are squichies.

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-16, 05:59 PM
Oathbreaker 8, Fiend Bladelock 12. If you can afford the feat polearm master is amazing. (Also if you haven't picked your fighting style and are allowed UA tunnel fighter.) 2(1d10+10+5)+(1d4+10+5) damage a turn. Less if you can't max cha and strength but still amazing. Plus if you're being charged by a swarm and get to use tunnel fighter you will probably wipe them out. This is purely from a min-max standpoint and should probably be avoided in actual gameplay.

bid
2016-01-16, 07:20 PM
That depends, really. Aura of protection is amazing, agreed. But in this party, there is a sorcerer, a rogue, and the paly, who is the only tank, and who is going to be the target of almost every single attack (assuming the rogue and the sorcerer play smart). So, in this particular case, I would say that blur is extremelly important. Actually it is not just blur, it is the whole combo. AC 21, blur and numerous spell slots to spam shield appropriatelly.

Correct. But I would say that he would have to take this feat anyway, instead of resilient con. Because with warcaster, he can cast BB as an OA, and that adds to the tankiness of the character, whch is extremelly important, considering that his allies are squichies.

That doesn't quite work because:
- pally 4 = warcaster at level 4
- pally 2 / sorc 3 = warcaster at level.... 7?

And because there's no aggro. Mobs will just bypass the pally and go straight for the damage dealers. For that reason blur is counterproductive.

But yeah, warcaster + BB can be up at level 5 (pally 4 / caster 1). It's faster than sentinel + resilient which wouldn't be up until level 10 (pally 8 / caster 2). Sentinel stops better than BB, though.

Still, I think Sir Cryosin's plan to wait until level 4 to pick a path is best. By that time the RP concept will have evolved enough to decide between making a pact or letting his true self out.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-16, 07:30 PM
Thanks but I'm not going for max damage I didn't pick palay for damage I pick him because I can be a tank a healer and going S&B I can every now and then dish out some damage. Damage is not something we as a group is worried about I just got to talk the rouge to pick up the feat magic initiative to get BB and a whip she will out dpr me in no time I would tell her to pick up a rapier but I think she don't like close combat her last character was a Ranger my point is I don't want to be the damage machine

Sir cryosin
2016-01-16, 07:44 PM
That doesn't quite work because:
- pally 4 = warcaster at level 4
- pally 2 / sorc 3 = warcaster at level.... 7?

And because there's no aggro. Mobs will just bypass the pally and go straight for the damage dealers. For that reason blur is counterproductive.

But yeah, warcaster + BB can be up at level 5 (pally 4 / caster 1). It's faster than sentinel + resilient which wouldn't be up until level 10 (pally 8 / caster 2). Sentinel stops better than BB, though.

Still, I think Sir Cryosin's plan to wait until level 4 to pick a path is best. By that time the RP concept will have evolved enough to decide between making a pact or letting his true self out.
I all ready have BB so lv4 I can have war caster and BB up and runnin even tho me and the sorcerer with his lighting lure are killing it are DM didn't see it coming

bid
2016-01-16, 08:20 PM
I all ready have BB so lv4 I can have war caster and BB up and runnin even tho me and the sorcerer with his lighting lure are killing it are DM didn't see it coming
Wait, pally don't get cantrips. Did you start human with magic initiate?

Sir cryosin
2016-01-16, 09:42 PM
Wait, pally don't get cantrips. Did you start human with magic initiate?

No scag has a hell elf variant were I can get the high elf cantrip ablity

bid
2016-01-16, 10:17 PM
No scag has a hell elf variant were I can get the high elf cantrip ablity
Oh right, that works too. ><

djreynolds
2016-01-17, 03:44 AM

Yeah, scag's cantrips solve the extra attack nicely. But I feel waiting until level 6 for aura of protection beats getting blurr at level 5, hands down.

And you cannot cast shield without warcaster since both hands are busy (assuming SnB too).

Yes, you want war caster. Advantage on concentration saves, plus a possible cantrip on AoO like shocking grasp. Twin spells on you and a buddy. Haste yourself and the barbarian, really good. Twin protection from evil, great versus demons and the undead. More spells to smite with. Shield spell is a +5AC on a reaction, awesome.

People may say resilient con, yes it great but it scales with your proficiency. Advantage is always on, wait till later for resilient con when it really makes an impact like level 12 or 16.

You have to ask yourself what you want or envision. A S&B paladin will, IMO, want that level 11 for the extra radiant damage. The rest can go sorcerer.

And imagine mirror image on yourself and blur on you and a buddy, not to shabby