PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Spellless Ranger 2.0

Khrysaes
2016-01-16, 10:46 AM
Hello,

I previously made a very quickly made spell less ranger Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?466281-PEACH-Quickly-Made-Spelless-Ranger&p=20133559#post20133559)

Then I came across this wonderful rework (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?462877-Ranger-Rework-v1-3). I felt it was much better, other than the spells.

Other than Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer, and Beast Master, I was thinking that Ranger didn't have anything unique about it.
In my mind a ranger is a skilled wilderness survivalist and scout, that fights through ambushes and guerrilla tactics. So the skirmish feature really brings that out, and ups the ranger's damage. I mean, who ever heard of a ranger walking up to the front of something and just duking it out? Not a very good hunter from my experience. You would just spook the prey, or piss it off.

So I made a spell less rework of the ranger. I think it may be a bit to powerful, and would like some other people's evaluations.

Here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GNACLDARMCjIEUT2Oz2wuq0D5RyVrHX0PU7Qh756-8c/edit?usp=sharing)

I only have the Hunter subclass, which I'm thinking of making Favored Enemy start at 3, and gain 1 each subclass level. Then add others at 7 and 15.

I want to make a subclass that grants rangers spells, similar to arcane trickster and eldritch knight. I just don't think casting should be on the base model.

Khrysaes
2016-01-16, 02:12 PM
Is the drive link not working or something?

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-16, 03:40 PM
It works.

I do like this. It really adds something to the ranger. One point is the great weapon fighting style. The ranger is now more a skirmisher so that doesn't fit.

You could say the skirmish damage is one attack per round, and then giving this ranger some better other features. Although you don't have to

I think it isn't too strong, but it does have big powers.

Nice job :D

Khrysaes
2016-01-18, 12:02 PM
So I've been working on subclass's for my Spell less ranger.

Obviously if there are no spells, Beastmaster wouldn't be able to share spells with a beast companion.

So I had a thought.

I was thinking that the beast companion could benefit from either just skirmish, or, from other class features the ranger gets. because otherwise it is much less useful on a spell less ranger.

Either you move, and you both get skirmish. Or the beast moves, and gains the benefits of skirmish separate from you.

This could also apply to other class features. Say with what i currently have, is expertise or advantage on ability checks for favored terrain.

Or if you are unimpeded by difficult terrain, then your beast companion is also unimpeded.

I also though of synchronized actions, I.E. you move, your beast moves. you attack. your beast attacks. this could work, but it would have the limitations of only being applicable if the requirements are met. obviously if you attack, and your beast is suppose to attack with the same action, but the beast isn't near something to attack, then it obviously wouldn't attack, or would just attack meaninglessly. This also inhibits things like hide. Say you meet the requirements to hide, but your beast doesnt?

sorry about poor grammar this post. didn't really care while typing, was listening to my math teacher.