PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Decerebrate/Cerebrate (3.5 to 5e)(Spell)

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-16, 12:36 PM
This is one of my favorite psionic powers in 3e, just, holy hell totally awesome.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/decerebrate.htm

Decerebrate/Cerebrate

Bard or Sorcerer 9th Level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 30'
Components: S (Action of pulling if decerebrate. Action of pushing if cerebrate), M (Target's brain stem if using Cerebrate).
Duration: Instantaneous

Decerebrate: You make a gesture of ultimate power and instantly pull a piece of the creature's brain stem via teleportation, the stem arrives in your hand or to a place within 30' of you and the target. The creature must possess the proper anatomy and have less than 100 HP.

Until the target is healed (see below) the target is incapacitated and will die within 1d4 days.

Cerebrate: You make a gesture of ultimate power and push the creature's brain stem back into them via teleportation. The creature is no longer incapacitated but may walk, talk, or act funny for the remainder of the duration of the Decerebrate.

Alternatively, a Regeneration spell cast out of a 9th level spell slot will also heal the target of a Decerebrate. You do not need a piece of the target's brain stem if healed this way.

====

This spell will be primarily used when players or the DM wants to hold something hostage and don't care if it dies. Maybe when you are transporting an annoying VIP and don't want the VIP to know the you can't stand them.

Or when you want to transport a demon to heaven and need it to just not try anything. Or when you need to transport an angel to hell...

This is primarily a Sorcerer spell, as Subtle or Extend spell would be down right fun with this spell... Popping brains out with a mere glance...

====

Khrysaes
2016-01-16, 12:41 PM
Will there be a saving throw? the original has fortitude, which would translate to Con.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-16, 12:48 PM
Will there be a saving throw? the original has fortitude, which would translate to Con.

Nah, working it like Power Word Kill, except not an auto-kill. This spell isn't about killing a target, though it will work as a killing spell. It is more about incapacitating a target.

I might drop it down to 75 or less HP. But although it had a Fortitude save before, there is no need for a save on a spell that works off HP, since HP is based on Con to begin with.

Might add in that if a creature has some form of fast healing then they are only incapacitated for 1 day.

JNAProductions
2016-01-16, 01:35 PM
I'd drop (De)Cerebate down to 75 HP or move it up to a 9th level spell, since this is basically as good as Power Word Kill.

M Placeholder
2016-01-16, 01:45 PM
I would also add a material component for both the spells, considering that they are both high level if they are Wizard spells.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-16, 02:09 PM
I'd drop (De)Cerebate down to 75 HP or move it up to a 9th level spell, since this is basically as good as Power Word Kill.

Yeah, I was thinking of this, just wasn't sure.

I would also add a material component for both the spells, considering that they are both high level if they are Wizard spells.

Not wizard spells. Bard and Sorcerer only.

The material component for Cerebrate is the person's brain stem if that helps?

M Placeholder
2016-01-16, 02:22 PM
Oh, okay.

You also need to specify a Casting Time (I assume its not a bonus action), and also how far the part of the brain is transported away from the target (so you can boot it over a cliff if it lands at your feet).

Wartex1 converted the power as part of his 5e Psion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?398291-%28PEACH%29-5E-Psion-with-Complete-Power-List), and kept it as a 7th level power.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-16, 02:28 PM
Oh, okay.

You also need to specify a Casting Time (I assume its not a bonus action), and also how far the part of the brain is transported away from the target (so you can boot it over a cliff if it lands at your feet).

Wartex1 converted the power as part of his 5e Psion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?398291-%28PEACH%29-5E-Psion-with-Complete-Power-List), and kept it as a 7th level power.

Whoops, should be an action.

Brain stem will arrive in your hand, so, probably should get some gloves on. Magic keeps the stem preserved as long as the target is alive.

I like this as a 9th level spell for the Bard, as it is quite epic when a bard sings and literally blows your brains out. This is kinda a PWK but with extra benefits and some more restrictions.

Twelvetrees
2016-01-27, 11:12 AM
Cerebrate: You make a gesture of ultimate power and push the creature's brain stem back into them via teleportation. The creature is no longer incapacitated but may walk, talk, or act funny for the remainder of the duration of the Decerebrate.

What is the remainder of the duration of the Decerebrate? 1d4 days? The spell duration is instantaneous, so the language is a little confusing.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-01-28, 12:14 AM
What is the remainder of the duration of the Decerebrate? 1d4 days? The spell duration is instantaneous, so the language is a little confusing.

They have 1d4 days to be healed or they die. I'll update the spell to try and make that more clear.