PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Blood Money just Misleveled?

legomaster00156
2016-01-16, 08:36 PM
So, anyone who has read the Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money) spell knows that it's hilariously abusable. Swift action casting time, take STR damage instead of paying cash, free Limited Wishes, etc. However, I find that while level 1 is a ridiculously low level to have such power, its power isn't nearly so great once you knock it up several spell levels and keep it out of low-level hands. I think it's power is about on par with a level 7 spell. What do you think?

avr
2016-01-16, 08:47 PM
Aren't its worst abuses (and most of the spells which use expensive components) higher level any way? I mean, a level 7 spell is available to less people which makes it less broken, but it's just as valuable to a 20th level wizard at either level.

q.v. magic jar, belts of strength on non-gish wizards, contingency + restoration.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-01-16, 08:48 PM
So, anyone who has read the Blood Money (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/blood-money) spell knows that it's hilariously abusable. Swift action casting time, take STR damage instead of paying cash, free Limited Wishes, etc. However, I find that while level 1 is a ridiculously low level to have such power, its power isn't nearly so great once you knock it up several spell levels and keep it out of low-level hands. I think it's power is about on par with a level 7 spell. What do you think?
I think the most powerful classes it the game replacing actual resource expenditure with a minor, entirely transitory amount of damage is inappropriate at any level. It actually becomes more powerful at higher levels, as the damage becomes even easier to heal and material components become more expensive and rarer.

Fizban
2016-01-17, 06:47 AM
The effect of burning an extra 7th level slot instead of 1st in addition to the main spell you want to cast is something, but otherwise Grod's right: if it's not appropriate it's not appropriate.

legomaster00156
2016-01-17, 10:36 AM
The effect of burning an extra 7th level slot instead of 1st in addition to the main spell you want to cast is something, but otherwise Grod's right: if it's not appropriate it's not appropriate.
The effect of burning a L7 spell slot is what I was going for, yeah. Would the spell be better if it dealt CON damage (as blood drain typically does) instead of STR damage, so players had to be more careful using it? What if the damage couldn't be restored for 24+ hours? What if there was a cap on the amount of damage taken at any one time? What would a fixed Blood Money spell look like? I want to allow it. I want it to be a balanced and extremely thematic spell.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-01-17, 10:57 AM
The effect of burning a L7 spell slot is what I was going for, yeah. Would the spell be better if it dealt CON damage (as blood drain typically does) instead of STR damage, so players had to be more careful using it? What if the damage couldn't be restored for 24+ hours? What if there was a cap on the amount of damage taken at any one time? What would a fixed Blood Money spell look like? I want to allow it. I want it to be a balanced and extremely thematic spell.
A fixed Blood Money spell would have to have a cap on how expensive a material component it could produce. HAVE to. Something like 25 gold a level, maybe. And Con damage is probably better, yeah, since casters will actually care about that.