PDA

View Full Version : Just An Odd Rambling...

Duke of URL
2007-06-14, 06:17 AM
Ever since I started reading OOtS, I've sort of had it in my head that this is almost like watching a log of actual gaming sessions, where the members of the OOtS are played by the players, and everyone else is an NPC. (This follows the narrative as well, as the OOtS are specifically referred to as the PCs, and everyone else as an NPC.)

So... the evolution of the campaign... er.... story starts with a simple dungeon crawl. The players are generally pretty relaxed, cracking jokes, and really not taking things very seriously at all for most of the time. As they get deeper into the larger events surrounding them, however, they (for the most part) start to get more serious about what's happening, and most of the "rules jokes" fall by the wayside.

Nonetheless, the part that I find really, really odd is that at least as of late, the PCs are least developed characters out there. Shojo, Hinjo, Miko, and Redcloak, especially, have shown far more character development as NPCs than any of the PCs have shown in quite some time -- and for the most part, the PCs have been bystanders to the actual action.

So, in the context of a series of gaming sessions, the players need to get off their figurative butts and start getting involved more in the story!

Adrius
2007-06-14, 06:36 AM
Good GM :p

Spiryt
2007-06-14, 07:16 AM
You know, Rich stated clearly that there are no players behind OotS or anyone else.

Maybe I'm strange, but even before Rich said that, i never seen players behind.

They were just guys who know that story in which they are is really cliched one. So they are

retty relaxed, cracking jokes, and really not taking things very seriously at all for most of the time.

And all statements like " I rolled 13" are jokes, but also manner how characters are perceiving world, their succesess or failures.

Cause their in classic D&D world and they'r proud beacuse of this!:smallwink:

Green Bean
2007-06-14, 07:29 AM
I agree that the NPCs seem better developed at this point in the story, but it makes sense if you think about it. Shojo, Hinjo, Miko, Redcloak, etc. are NPCs. They will come in and out of the story as the Order progresses. This means that when they're 'in the spotlight', so to speak, they have to develop pretty quickly, both to get the readers' interest, and because they have a limited time to do so.

On the other hand, you have the PCs. Board theories aside, this is probably the group we'll be following until the end of the comic. We still have a ways to go, and if the Order is developed at the pace of the NPCs, we'll quickly run out of new backstory angles to explore.

slipper
2007-06-14, 06:11 PM
I disapprove of this thread

Iranon
2007-06-14, 06:24 PM
Well, the NPCs behave like players as well. The cleric duel comes to mind.

Gatekreeper
2007-06-14, 06:26 PM
I blame Cerebus.

Sigbru
2007-06-14, 06:35 PM
@Gatekkeper
Took the words right out of my mouth

I think the PC's are just taking a break, since Roy dead they almost dind't appeard (at least they did not do nothing important)