PDA

View Full Version : Original System Dragon Ball Z20

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 12:59 AM
So, my friend and I have been trying to come up with a D20-based system to play a Dragon Ball Z-themed tabletop for quite a while and haven't really made much progress. We have some really good ideas, we're just not sure how to implement them. I wasn't quite sure where exactly to post this but Homebrew Design seemed to make the most sense. We don't have hard numbers yet but I'll post what we have so anyone more knowledgeable than me (read: probably most people here) can take a look and maybe offer some advice.

My friend and I were initially considering a ki-point based system like D&D 5th ed's monks, where abilities use ki. Most characters would have the ability to take a full-round action and charge up their ki to replenish it.

Note that the guy I used to brainstorm with decided to forego classes (since most characters in DBZ can use pretty much any move if they've learned it, i.e. Buu could use the Kamehameha as well as the Saiyans or humans) and instead make every race effectively be a class. Is that a dumb idea?

Races:

Humans (Tentative)

They'd work just like they do in D&D, being a basic "Jack of all trades" race that could really fill any role. We jokingly thought of several feats and racial traits that would be surprisingly effective but humiliatingly compare one's character to Yamcha. For example, the attack "Wolf Fang Fist" would temporarily rename your character to "Yamcha" if it was your only offensive move, and defeated humans weren't referred to as dead or K.O.'d - they are "Yamcha'd."

Saiyans

Designed as a basic DPS class with access to an array of temporary transformations. Saiyans had a few feats/racial traits thought out that I (surprisingly) have written down.

* Great Ape - Transform upon seeing a full planetary body (excluding suns and stars but including moons and planets) or a Saiyan Power Ball while possessing a tail. Become a Huge-class creature that is permanently berserk. Transformation lasts until character is K.O.'d, until tail is cut off or until planetary body/Power Ball is destroyed.

* Tail - All Saiyans have a tail from birth that enables their Great Ape transformation. The Saiyan is immobilized if their tail is grabbed. Losing their tail removes their Great Ape transformation.

* Power Ball - Uses ki to create a non-damaging ball of energy that reflects light in a way similar to a full moon. Causes tailed Saiyans to transform into Great Apes.

* Controlled Great Ape - A skill acquired later on. Removes the Great Ape's permanent berserk status. A Saiyan with Controlled Great Ape is no longer paralyzed if their tail is grabbed.

* Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan 2/Super Saiyan 3 - All temporary stat boosts that increase in strength along with the number.

* Super Saiyan 4 - A transformation available only to Saiyans who either managed to keep their tail up until a certain level (not sure which yet) or managed to have it regrown. Larger stat boost than 3 but excludes them from the next feat on my list...

* Super Saiyan God - A one-time transformation that provides a massive stat boost upon use and a minor health regen ability but excludes the Saiyan in question from both Great Ape and Super Saiyan 4 (this is done because nobody wants a Great Ape character with godly ki, and is also a reference to how many see Super Saiyan God as replacing Super Saiyan 4).

* Saiyan Beyond God - After using Super Saiyan God once, the Saiyan is considered this, gaining a minor stat boost and now having "godly ki," with the main difference being immunity to regular ki sense (which would work like Detect Magic does in D&D) and scouters. Character also gains "godly ki sense" and their ki aura turns a milky white.

* Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan - None of that was a typo. A Saiyan Beyond God can choose to, on their next level up after turning Super Saiyan God for the first time, give up the feat/bonus feat they'd normally acquire in order to obtain this transformation. Large stat boost, blue hair and ki aura.

"Frieza's Race"

These guys start out weak but slowly get stat bonuses as they level up and gain access to permanent transformations that buff them up and grant new abilities. Pretty much a weak start with a good payoff for patient players.

First Form/Second Form/Third Form/Final Form - Just a marker of what level they're at and what their stats will be. Permanent transformations occur at regular level up intervals (we set it to every fourth level after 2 initially) and they later gain access to one of two "super forms."

* Super Evolution - Based on the "fifth form" of Frieza's brother Cooler, this form would provide a more balanced set of stat boosts and be more defensive than its counterpart. Users gain more bio-armor (seriously, Frieza's race just makes armor out of their own tissue. Weird.) on their bodies as well as a cool-looking mouth guard made of hardened tissue.

* Ultimate Evolution - A more offensive-based transformation, boosting the damage of the character's attacks and all-around power, but at the cost of churning through energy like nobody's business. The user's body changes color (according to player preference, as Frieza implied he chose to have his transformation turn him gold) and gains a more metallic appearance, as well a flaming ki aura.

Frieza's race would also have access to his abilities such as Death Beam, Death Ball, etc. Just haven't really figured out the logistics of those yet... ^_^'

Namekians

These guys are the tanks of the game. Namekians would get an inherent boost to CON as well as higher hit die and various defensive abilities.

* Demon Hand - Physical attacks can be made from up to 15 feet away via stretchy arm.

* Regeneration - Namekians can heal moderate damage on their own. Wounds such as normal HP damage would probably take up a major action, whereas regrowing a lost limb is a full round. Cannot be used if your head is damaged.

* Special Beam Cannon - A ranged touch attack that would deal light to moderate damage. Can be charged for an extra turn to increase damage and break opponent's armor on impact.

* Great Namek - Expand your body to become a Large creature with no loss to DEX or speed.

* Super Namek - An optional permanent transformation that would provide a permanent stat boost but change your alignment to Chaotic, regardless of what it was before. You take a minor penalty to mind-altering effects, as the anime claimed that Super Nameks were unstable and prone to evil.

*Greater Namek - Available to Super Nameks. Expand your body to become a Huge creature with no loss to DEX or speed.

Majin

Majins have access to more destructive abilities than Saiyans (several of their attacks are explosions) but are offset by having lower HP. While they do have a regeneration ability, they shouldn't rely on it as much as Namekians do.

* Absorption - If an enemy has less than 25% health, a Majin may attempt a touch attack on them. If they succeed, the enemy is absorbed and the Majin gains the following:
** Recovers health and ki equal to the victim's remaining health and ki
** One non-race-specific feat or ability the victim had
** One article of the victim's clothing
**The clothing and feat are lost if the Majin absorbs someone else or is K.O.'d for any reason.

* Angry Explosion - Deals damage in a radius relative to your level, but also knocks you unconscious for a few rounds.

*Revenge Death Bomber/Ill Bomber/"I'll Kill You!" - User detonates their body, dealing damage in a radius and sending four pieces of themselves flying. Each piece has HP equal to 1/4 of the user's then-current HP (rounded down) and moves...really slowly. User reforms after a few turns or if a piece absorbs a weakened enemy (upon which all pieces connect to that one and the Majin reforms with HP equal to combined HP of all 4 pieces + absorbed enemy). A piece can only move and absorb.

Android

Androids are meant to be a jack of all trades like humans, but with some quirks meant to make them interesting. They can attack from both up close or from afar with blasts.

Remember when I said "most" characters can charge ki? Androids are the exception, coming in two models: infinite energy or energy-absorbing. Infinite energy models automatically charge their ki up each turn, but it's slower to a manual charge. Energy-absorbing models can't charge at all, but instead have...

* Absorbing Attack - A touch attack wherein the user steals some of the opponent's ki. Very similar to...

* Drain Lfe - Absorbing Attack, but for health.

* Ki Sense Immunity - An Android's energy cannot be detected by any means, rendering them immune to Ki Sense, Godly Ki Sense and all scouters.

* Android Barrier - A shield meant to block attacks, but renders to immobile until you drop it. Costs ki every turn you leave it up and always costs more ki than an infinite-energy model can auto-charge.

* Absorption Barrier - A move that the Android can use in response to a ranged energy attack. The Android rolls a reflex save - if successful, negate the damage and gain ki equal to however much the enemy spent to use their attack.

* Hell's Flash/Hell's Storm - Two attacks that require the Android to remove their forearms to reveal cannons inside. Flash is one large attack whereas Storm allows the user to roll multiple, weaker hits. The user takes an AC penalty for a turn after using either of these, since it's kind of hard to defend when you took your own arms off!

* Shocking Death Ball - The Android's most powerful attack - deals high damage and forces the opponent to make a Fortitude save to avoid being stunned for a few turns. Takes up a ton of energy to use, however.

Ginyu

Why the hell did I include this? The Ginyu class is a joke class that focuses on gaining temporary stat buffs via "Special Fighting Poses," each of which increases a specific stat or has some effect such as halving ki cost or decreasing damage taken.

* Choose Appearance - A Ginyu can be of any race and appearance that is not already a playable race.

* Opening Pose - If a Ginyu is not taken by surprise, they may open their first turn with a Special Fighting Pose of their choice as a free action

* Dual Pose - Pose twice in quick succession for the effects of both, but it takes a full round.

* Ultra Fighting Bomber - A series of goofy poses followed by an immense explosion, dealing high damage.

* Body Change - Nobody's surprised this is on here, huh? A Ginyu may choose to swap bodies with an enemy, gaining access to that character's abilities. However, they may not use any race-specific abilities for ten turns after swapping. The victim must pass a reflex save to avoid having their body stolen. Bosses and characters of a significantly higher level are immune to this ability and it will always fail on them.

* Self-Harm/"Holstein Shock" - Stab yourself in the chest! Why?! Because it charges your ki to allow for a quick Body Change, of course!

* Ginyu Tokusentai! - I am not apologizing for that name. Theme music starts playing out of nowhere, granting the stat boosts of your Special Fighting Poses to your allies as well. They may make a will save to pose alongside you if they are within one space of you and increase the effects on themselves (the will save is to determine if your self-respect survives the pose).

I'd really appreciate feedback...especially if I accidentally posted this in the wrong section like some kind of doofus.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 09:02 PM
I've actually thought about this extensively, the way I had it worked out was a ki system that had transparency to psionics but not magic. Fighting roles such as DPS, tank, support and such are determined by the main classes with specific abilities being determined by school like in normal D&D, but here the school is based on your master not on categories. Almost all schools would at some point contain basic abilities such as flight and ki blasts, but for special abilities such as ki sense, kamehameha, kaio-ken, or the spirit bomb, you have a much shorter list of schools. You can only advance one school at a time and once you've met someone with a certain school and either fought or trained with you can choose to progress in that school but can always change back to a previous one at later levels. You do not lose already learned abilities from a certain when going to a new one but simply do not learn more from that school. Racial transformations and abilities would be gained through the racial schools and paragon classes.

For the actual classes the basic Z-fighter class would likely be the most balanced and a good example of what to expect from others. Hit dice d8, 2+int skills, good fort and reflex saves, 3/4 bab. You gain the monk's unarmed damage(equal to your level with this class but higher or lower with others) as well as their wisdom modifier to AC(or a different mental stat for other classes) but do not gain the additional AC by level that they do and it. You gain abilities from your schools at the same rate as a psychic warrior does powers. You have an ability called charge, when using the basic charge you gain half your level(at least one) as an additional deflection bonus to AC and also to attack and damage rolls. Charge is activated as free action at the beginning of your turn and lasts until the start of your turn the next round, the ki cost of charge is a set rate(I haven't decided due to lack of testing) but there would be additional levels of charge unlocked at certain levels that would cost more such as over charge for full level bonus and max charge for 1.5 level bonus, Kaio-ken and transformations would work similar to charge enhancing it's effects. Ki would only be spent when making special attacks such as ki abilities, whether ranged like kamehameha, or melee like wolf fang fist. The classes should also provide a DR progression(to be determined upon testing) that is bypassed by damage done directly by powers or ki abilities. They should also have a separate ki resistance that functions much like PR, this is to ensure that more powerful people have an even greater edge over weaker ones, like frieza being almost invincible to the attacks by weaker foes. The DR is likewise there to ensure normal weapons and attacks from normal people can be almost brushed off completely. The DR and KR(ki resistance) would only be active when charged but are not increased by higher levels of them, only by special abilities such as Kaio-ken or racial transformations.

Ki attacks would mostly be ranged touch attack versions of your unarmed attacks, with varying degrees of additional damage and effects based on the degree of attack. These attacks are made in place of charge for that round typically disabling the AC bonus but retaining the damage bonus or even enhancing it, like in the case of kamehameha which would add an addition half level bonus and be treated as a two-handed attack.

The rest I haven't sorted out but I have a basic system at least if it can be any benefit to you(ps I'm lazy and don't want to check for typos so be gentle).

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 09:23 PM
So there would be races (which I've already mostly figured out), classes that determine stuff like your stats and combat role, and then schools that determine your abilities? For example, you could train in techniques created by King Kai (Maybe call it "Kaio School" or something) and get the Kaio-Ken, Spirit Bomb and Instant Transmission (he never taught it to Goku but claimed he could do it in the dub so screw it, I'm including it)? I actually kinda like that idea, brings more depth and complexity to character creation! I actually feel like this could become a thing now!

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 09:31 PM
So there would be races (which I've already mostly figured out), classes that determine stuff like your stats and combat role, and then schools that determine your abilities? For example, you could train in techniques created by King Kai (Maybe call it "Kaio School" or something) and get the Kaio-Ken, Spirit Bomb and Instant Transmission (he never taught it to Goku but claimed he could do it in the dub so screw it, I'm including it)? I actually kinda like that idea, brings more depth and complexity to character creation! I actually feel like this could become a thing now!

Thank you I was hoping you'd like it, I haven't been able to test it but if you want to try and flesh it out and test it with your friend/s I'd love to hear how it works out.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 09:34 PM
So to be clear, the classes themselves wouldn't actually grant any new abilities, just your school?

Also, any idea how Super Saiyan would work without making it completely overpowered?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 09:44 PM
So to be clear, the classes themselves wouldn't actually grant any new abilities, just your school?

Also, any idea how Super Saiyan would work without making it completely overpowered?

Yes the classes would just determine your basic stats and how you work in the system, mostly with only small stat changes and such between them depending on your role. The actual abilities would be dependent on school, though the rate at which you progress in schools may change slightly between different classes. I was thinking super saiyan would just be an advanced version of charge like Kaio-ken but more powerful and likely without drawbacks like fatigue systems I imagined would be in place for Kaio-ken, much like rage. Different levels of super saiyan would just have different levels of bonuses, which as I said would include bonuses to DR and KR unlike with normal charge.

I like the way you've set up super saiyan god with ki sense, and by the way for ease of writing you should know the community now refers to super saiyan god super saiyan as simply super saiyan blue.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 09:53 PM
Oh, really? I usually people still debating that since the games call it "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" and Whis only jokingly calls it "Super Saiyan Blue." I think I'll make them interchangeable, like how players can choose to say they're using "Special Beam Cannon" or "Makankosappo" if they want to.

How would the amount of ki someone has available be determined? Should that be determined by race or class? Oh, and I was thinking of referring to your "charge" ability (which I like) as "Power Up" so that "Ki Charge" (which would replenish ki) could be without confusion.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 10:02 PM
Oh, really? I usually people still debating that since the games call it "Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan" and Whis only jokingly calls it "Super Saiyan Blue." I think I'll make them interchangeable, like how players can choose to say they're using "Special Beam Cannon" or "Makankosappo" if they want to.

How would the amount of ki someone has available be determined? Should that be determined by race or class? Oh, and I was thinking of referring to your "charge" ability (which I like) as "Power Up" so that "Ki Charge" (which would replenish ki) could be without confusion.

You can refer to any of it however you want, I just needed a name for it for the mechanics purposes. I believe the amount of ki points should be class based in case someone wants to play a certain race a different way than usual. But you could give bonuses to ki based on wisdom or something and then give certain races a bonus to that ability score to indirectly represent a racial average advantage in it, or just give straight up bonuses to it based on race. In the same way you could make different ki abilities somewhat skill dependent and give indirect bonuses to those abilities by giving bonuses to the related ability scores, and a bonus to having many skill dependent abilities by giving higher intelligence.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 10:25 PM
Based on the mechanics you've laid out, I'm actually going to remove Ginyu as a playable "race" and instead add them as either a class or as a learnable school that includes abilities like Recoome's Ultra Fighting Bomber, Burter's Blue Hurricane and Jeice's Crusher Ball. I actually have a few schools thought up already that I intend to flesh out.

Turtle School

Includes Kamehameha, Afterimage Technique, Afterimage Strike and possibly "MAX Power" like Roshi's buff form, which would provide a temporary bonus to STR.

Crane School

Based on Tien and Chiaotzu. Abilities include Dodon Ray, Multiform Technique (or Four Witches, whichever one is less awkward to adapt into a tabletop format), Telekinesis and Solar Flare.

Kaio School

King Kai, of course, but with some West Kai/Pikkon thrown in. Students will learn increasingly powerful levels of Kaio-Ken (take care not to destroy your body with it), the Spirit Bomb, Thunder Flash and Hyper Tornado.

Frieza Force Training Manual

Perfect for the aspiring minion, this school teaches techniques used by several of Frieza's men such as Nappa's Giant Storm, Raditz's "Didn't Think You'd Fall For That!" and others that I have yet to figure out.

Ginyu Force Choreography

While the other schools teach many offensive techniques, the Ginyu Force are largely balanced, with support-based Special Fighting Poses as well as the wide-hitting Ultra Fighting Bomber and the single-target Crusher Ball.

I still have to think of ways to incorporate other moves like, say, Big Bang Attack or Special Beam Cannon but I'm really liking this system!

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 10:34 PM
Based on the mechanics you've laid out, I'm actually going to remove Ginyu as a playable "race" and instead add them as either a class or as a learnable school that includes abilities like Recoome's Ultra Fighting Bomber, Burter's Blue Hurricane and Jeice's Crusher Ball. I actually have a few schools thought up already that I intend to flesh out.

Turtle School

Includes Kamehameha, Afterimage Technique, Afterimage Strike and possibly "MAX Power" like Roshi's buff form, which would provide a temporary bonus to STR.

Crane School

Based on Tien and Chiaotzu. Abilities include Dodon Ray, Multiform Technique (or Four Witches, whichever one is less awkward to adapt into a tabletop format), Telekinesis and Solar Flare.

Kaio School

King Kai, of course, but with some West Kai/Pikkon thrown in. Students will learn increasingly powerful levels of Kaio-Ken (take care not to destroy your body with it), the Spirit Bomb, Thunder Flash and Hyper Tornado.

Frieza Force Training Manual

Perfect for the aspiring minion, this school teaches techniques used by several of Frieza's men such as Nappa's Giant Storm, Raditz's "Didn't Think You'd Fall For That!" and others that I have yet to figure out.

Ginyu Force Choreography

While the other schools teach many offensive techniques, the Ginyu Force are largely balanced, with support-based Special Fighting Poses as well as the wide-hitting Ultra Fighting Bomber and the single-target Crusher Ball.

I still have to think of ways to incorporate other moves like, say, Big Bang Attack or Special Beam Cannon but I'm really liking this system!

I like it, I didn't think I'd ever see someone actually explore ginyu force stuff but I feel like it would see more use than I thought with this. A big thing to keep in mind is that the main reason I based a lot on psionics is that I think classes like psychic warrior or psion could make for great multiclass or even independent for characters like babidi or other characters with more unique or utility based powers. Like the item creation used by Nameks could simply be an actual item creation power from psychic warrior. Some specialty prestige classes for psions and psychic warriors could work well too with their manifester levels adding to ki user levels for schools and ki point progression.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 10:37 PM
I'm gonna have to read up on psionics because I'm still relatively new to D&D and I've never seen someone play a psychic character.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 10:46 PM
I'm gonna have to read up on psionics because I'm still relatively new to D&D and I've never seen someone play a psychic character.

The psionics system seems complicated at first but it's more simple than you'd think. You have power points that you spend to manifest powers much like a wizard has spells per day, but rather than having a specific number of powers to manifest you have a number of points and different powers cost different amounts so it is slightly more versatile. However powers do not gain strength with level like spells(ie fireball) instead you either manifest a higher level power or spend more points on a lower level power.

The psion is very similar to the wizard in power and utility with many similar abilities but also some different. And a psychic warrior has many of the same abilities as a cleric with more combat options, but a power progression much weaker, more like a bards spell progression.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 10:55 PM
Y'know, that's almost exactly how I imagined ki working anyway. So, say you use Kamehameha for a while and you come up against a Majin whose DR makes that move worthless. You could either use more points to buff up your Kamehameha or just decide to hit the guy with a stronger move instead?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 11:03 PM
Y'know, that's almost exactly how I imagined ki working anyway. So, say you use Kamehameha for a while and you come up against a Majin whose DR makes that move worthless. You could either use more points to buff up your Kamehameha or just decide to hit the guy with a stronger move instead?

Yeah that's pretty much the thought, small attacks aren't working so you pull out all the stops. With this system you could also use kaio-ken or simply a more powerful boost to increase your normal damage if you don't have too many points to spare.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 11:11 PM
What do you think of a class or school that lets a character use a sword like Future Trunks, Dabura or Janemba?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 11:19 PM
What do you think of a class or school that lets a character use a sword like Future Trunks, Dabura or Janemba?

The extra damage from the power up ability could apply to all melee attacks, or you could have a more melee based class with higher bab, hit dice, and unarmed damage, that also allows you to add the extra damage to weapons and possibly wear light armor and still get your bonus. All this would be in exchange for much slower school progression and slightly less ki points, or possibly the same level progression but with less abilities overall. Also depending on what area of dragonball you want to play at I was thinking the scale would be set so that everything either post frieza, or post android would be epic level. Though depending on whether you want to keep it close to D&D everything post dragon ball or post saiyan saga could be epic.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 11:24 PM
I'd say a swordfighter class could have higher base melee attack from the fact that they use an actual weapon, but in exchange they have less offensive ki abilities. And I was thinking of starting the characters at late Dragon Ball and everything Cell/Buu and up would be epic, especially Super Saiyan God.

And, please excuse me for being a newbie, but what does bab mean? ^_^'

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 11:29 PM
I'd say a swordfighter class could have higher base melee attack from the fact that they use an actual weapon, but in exchange they have less offensive ki abilities. And I was thinking of starting the characters at late Dragon Ball and everything Cell/Buu and up would be epic, especially Super Saiyan God.

And, please excuse me for being a newbie, but what does bab mean? ^_^'

Bab is base attack bonus, sorry you might not have seen it shortened like that before. In the d20 system it's the number you add to your attack roll in addition to your strength or dexterity.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 11:30 PM
Oh, okay! Yeah, I know about Base Attack Bonus at least...though I keep forgetting if it increases your damage or is added to the to hit roll to determine if your attack connects.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 11:35 PM
Oh, okay! Yeah, I know about Base Attack Bonus at least...though I keep forgetting if it increases your damage or is added to the to hit roll to determine if your attack connects.

Just the hit roll. Though your strength modifier adds to both your hit and damage, unless you use a build that supplements dexterity instead of strength.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 11:39 PM
There's also something else I thought of but I'm not sure of how feasible it'd be in a tabletop format - the Fusion Technique.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 11:50 PM
There's also something else I thought of but I'm not sure of how feasible it'd be in a tabletop format - the Fusion Technique.

There's actually a psionic power called fusion that might interest you, with a small bit of work it'd be perfect. Normally the power gives control of the fusion over to the manifester(person you "casts" it) but you could give equal power to both. There's also a power called fission that could work well for things like the clone ability tien uses, or even with some work for the cell juniors.

Randomman5
2016-01-17, 11:54 PM
It could be that the character with the higher charisma gets control, or that the players decide amongst themselves with the GM stepping in if they can't agree. Yeah, that fusion ability looks perfect with some tweaks. I also thought of a system where there are "Fusion Abilities" available only to fusions. For example, if Character A knows Super Kamehameha and Character B knows Big Bang Attack, their fusion can use Big Bang Kamehameha.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-17, 11:57 PM
It could be that the character with the higher charisma gets control, or that the players decide amongst themselves with the GM stepping in if they can't agree. Yeah, that fusion ability looks perfect with some tweaks. I also thought of a system where there are "Fusion Abilities" available only to fusions. For example, if Character A knows Super Kamehameha and Character B knows Big Bang Attack, their fusion can use Big Bang Kamehameha.

That sounds cool, you could create a list for simplicity or with some work even create a system for combining any similar abilities. Such a system could also work for creating new abilities all together.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 12:00 AM
So should Super Kamehameha be a different move from Kamehameha Wave? Or just have it be a Kamehameha that you spent extra points on?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 12:11 AM
So should Super Kamehameha be a different move from Kamehameha Wave? Or just have it be a Kamehameha that you spent extra points on?

I would say just extra points, the same as kaio-ken except kaio-ken would have negative effects after a certain point based on your level. There should also be a maximum amount of points you can spend on it based on your level much like how there is a maximum amount of points you can spend on powers in psionics. Except in cases where specific abilities say different, like self destruct attacks, which could add all your ki points and health as extra damage.

You should also look into the wound system, it's a D&D alternate health system where your normal health acts more like you active defense measuring how exhausted you are from resisting attacks or your luck and ability to dodge, then you have wound points equal to your constitution which go down only on critical hits or after your health is gone, these represent actual damage. But in this system you would only take damage to it when you aren't powered up, like when vegeta lowers his defenses so krillin can hurt him, or when goku gets surprise attacked by frieza's henchman's laser.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 12:18 AM
So your health is more like a set of defensive points, and "wound points" are what actually reflect your injuries? And you only take damage to them either if your "health" is gone or you just weren't prepared for the attack?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 12:23 AM
So your health is more like a set of defensive points, and "wound points" are what actually reflect your injuries? And you only take damage to them either if your "health" is gone or you just weren't prepared for the attack?

Yeah that's the basic idea. A lot of people use it for realism as otherwise I've always considered health to be how much you can bleed. It's used with the Avatar and I believe Naruto d20 systems and it fits well here as well.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 12:36 AM
So, say for example Goku's "health" is gone and he gets Final Flashed in the face. According to this system, how many "wound points" does he lose? Like, what determines that?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 12:43 AM
So, say for example Goku's "health" is gone and he gets Final Flashed in the face. According to this system, how many "wound points" does he lose? Like, what determines that?

It would do the same damage as usual but instead to his wound points which would equal his constitution. So yeah he'd be dead. If you want to make everyone a little tougher you could basically reimplement the negative health system, effectively adding 10 to everyone's wound points to make them a bit tougher. That would also allow you to implement bleeding that could start when below 0 health slowly losing 1 wound point per round after until you stabilize or die.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 12:55 AM
Ooh, that's a good idea. I'm also playing around with some racial traits, one of which your health system reminded me of.

Saiyans - Zenkai: If you are brought near death during a fight and don't die, get 1.5x exp.

Frieza's Race - "I Can Breathe In Space And You Can't!": You do not need air to live and thus can't be drowned, suffocated, choked or strangled (which, as Handsome Jack tells us, are two different things).

Namekians - Telepathy: Namekians can speak to other creatures mentally even at a distance.

Namekians get a bonus on Listen checks.

Majins - Chocolate Beam: Turn one creature or object into a food item of your choice. Doesn't work on opponents with halfway-decent KR (ki resist) and always fails on an enemy of a higher level.

Androids - The aforementioned ki sense immunity and either energy/health absorption or ki auto-charge.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 01:13 AM
Ooh, that's a good idea. I'm also playing around with some racial traits, one of which your health system reminded me of.

Saiyans - Zenkai: If you are brought near death during a fight and don't die, get 1.5x exp.

Frieza's Race - "I Can Breathe In Space And You Can't!": You do not need air to live and thus can't be drowned, suffocated, choked or strangled (which, as Handsome Jack tells us, are two different things).

Namekians - Telepathy: Namekians can speak to other creatures mentally even at a distance.

Namekians get a bonus on Listen checks.

Majins - Chocolate Beam: Turn one creature or object into a food item of your choice. Doesn't work on opponents with halfway-decent KR (ki resist) and always fails on an enemy of a higher level.

Androids - The aforementioned ki sense immunity and either energy/health absorption or ki auto-charge.

That's a pretty balanced layout I'd say, might want to make the chocolate beam a ki ability they can learn from their race's school though that way only people who want it have to take it, instead just their incredible regeneration and absorption could come as default. Stat wise saiyans would probably have a bonus to physical stats of some degree as well and negatives to mental stats, or probably just intelligence and maybe charisma. The Zenkai could come into effect whenever they take wound point damage, you could also balance namekians by making their regeneration only apply to wound damage(actual injuries like a missing limb) as piccolo doesn't just get completely better after sitting around and only heals serious injuries, but they'd likely get a high boost to their constitution by default. Frieza's race(which is often referred to by fans as frost demons) could also have a special ability to automatically stabilize so they never bleed out, as shown when frieza lives through becoming a floating torso chunk with a head, they could also have an increase to constitution.

Androids could be balanced by being living constructs like warforged, and rather than being their own race it could be a prestige class anyone can enter, like mecha frieza or mecha cooler, or how 17 and 18 were normal humans before that. But after becoming androids they get a permanent increase to their abilities in addition to what you listed and lose the ability to progress in racial schools. The stats of hybrids could be the opposite, the racial stats of the fathers race, like saiyan, but the ability to progress in the racial schools and paragon/prestige classes of both races.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 09:48 AM
What do you mean by racial schools? As in schools only available to that race, consisting of abilities used by characters of that race?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 11:35 AM
What do you mean by racial schools? As in schools only available to that race, consisting of abilities used by characters of that race?

Yeah that would be the general idea, depending on how you want to do it, you could also have prestige classes available only to certain races that would give them their abilities. Or you could even do both with schools for the general race abilities and prestige classes for the more specialized racial roles or abilities, such as a school for the abilities shown by majin buu or the namekians, but a prestige class for things like great ape control or super saiyan(though both could also be introduced by a school then enhanced by it or a class afterwards).

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 01:36 PM
Hmm...oh! How about Saiyans get Super Saiyan as a racial trait, and there are 2 schools that enhance it? One would be "Super Saiyan Mastery" consisting of Full Power Super Saiyan, Ascended Super Saiyan and Ultra Super Saiyan, and the other could be "Super Saiyan Legend" or something for Super Saiyan 2, 3 and 4.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 01:43 PM
Hmm...oh! How about Saiyans get Super Saiyan as a racial trait, and there are 2 schools that enhance it? One would be "Super Saiyan Mastery" consisting of Full Power Super Saiyan, Ascended Super Saiyan and Ultra Super Saiyan, and the other could be "Super Saiyan Legend" or something for Super Saiyan 2, 3 and 4.

Could work just make sure there's some substantial cost or requirements for them to actually use it, same with Frieza's race and Majins.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 01:53 PM
Well I was thinking that the regular Super Saiyan form (as well as other transformations such as Great Namek) would have a ki cost to maintain (a few of the video games do this, too) and that "Full Power Super Saiyan" would eliminate that cost. That same school would then provide you with "upgrades" to Super Saiyan 1 that increase your physical stats but at the cost of DEX or speed and a ki cost for Ascended and Ultra.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 02:09 PM
Well I was thinking that the regular Super Saiyan form (as well as other transformations such as Great Namek) would have a ki cost to maintain (a few of the video games do this, too) and that "Full Power Super Saiyan" would eliminate that cost. That same school would then provide you with "upgrades" to Super Saiyan 1 that increase your physical stats but at the cost of DEX or speed and a ki cost for Ascended and Ultra.

That could work but super saiyan should still not be accessible until a certain level. Maybe you have to get a feat with a prerequisite of having saiyan blood and being a certain level in order to use it?

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 02:13 PM
How's about level 5 for Super Saiyan if your character is either a full-blood Saiyan or has Saiyan blood?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 02:16 PM
How's about level 5 for Super Saiyan if your character is either a full-blood Saiyan or has Saiyan blood?

That's a little low, most people I know start campaigns around that level, I would say at least level 10 but if you want to start your campaigns in the frieza saga I guess it's appropriate. Humans are gonna get outpaced pretty quickly then and should probably consider going android as soon as possible.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 02:19 PM
...Tell me if this is a stupid idea, but humans could get a "joke" class or school that would reflect how humans were quickly outpaced in the show. Humans who have not been turned into an android can choose to take a class (or school) that provides buffs and bonuses, but only if you are the weakest person in your party. So you'd be a guy who looks unassuming until your buffs kick in when everyone else gets ridiculously powerful.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 02:31 PM
...Tell me if this is a stupid idea, but humans could get a "joke" class or school that would reflect how humans were quickly outpaced in the show. Humans who have not been turned into an android can choose to take a class (or school) that provides buffs and bonuses, but only if you are the weakest person in your party. So you'd be a guy who looks unassuming until your buffs kick in when everyone else gets ridiculously powerful.

That could work, you could also take advantage of humans more spiritual nature and make a class or school involving soul based ki abilities like Tien's tri-beam and third eye, as well as his solid afterimage and multiple arm abilities. These more utility rather than direct increases in combat effectiveness could keep them up close to the same pace at higher levels. Much like how even with lower technical stats, a wizard's utility and diversity of abilities allows him to be the strongest class in the game.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 02:46 PM
So there could be a human-exclusive school with things like Multiform, Tri-Beam, etc. I like it.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-01-18, 02:53 PM
So there could be a human-exclusive school with things like Multiform, Tri-Beam, etc. I like it.

Yeah kinda like racial schools for other races. Then half humans like half saiyans could have access to that school and the other race's school. Then of course like with other races if they go android they lose access to their racial school and can only advance in non racial schools and possibly an android school that represents improvements to their hardware.

Randomman5
2016-01-18, 03:45 PM
Maybe we could do a race or school based on Cell?

Also, I was thinking that the "human school" could be abilities used by Tien, like you said. Tri-Beam, Multiform, Solar Flare, etc. Ones that are useful even if you're not ridiculously powerful.

Randomman5
2016-02-20, 01:06 AM
So, we've decided to go for a unique system that is independent of level-ups for techniques and such. Every race has its own "racial tree" consisting of a "root technique" and three branches that branch off of it. In order to get these techniques, you spend "SP," or "School Points" that you get from fights, training alone or sparring with a partner. Every character starts at level 5 and while they have racial traits that are not on the trees (such as Namekian stretchy-arms or Majin regeneration), most of your abilities come from the trees. Every tree also has six "Bonus Technique" slots that can be acquired for 20 SP each - you can slot in a technique from a list of "Bonus Techniques" that are roughly akin to bonus feats in D&D. These bonus techniques range from the Solar Flare to Kikoho to Kaio-Ken and Spirit Bomb. You still gain EXP from fights, but that only increases character level for more HP, stronger melee attacks and better saves.

We've decided for ki that every character gets 10 ki per level, so a level 5 character has 50, level 10 has 100, etc. This was done to simplify things and since there never seemed to be a difference between ki reserves for races.

We're still on the fence for whether we should use the "wound point" system or just regular HP for our health system.

Every race has different hit die, but as for damage, saves and BAB everyone is treated as being a Monk of that level since most DBZ characters already fit that bill anyways. However, they don't get the Monk movement speed bonus, though they may get the AC bonus (still on the fence about that, too).

All this being said, we've done some preliminary stats for each race's technique tree as well as statting the bonus technique list. How do the concepts I've laid out here look so far? Would it be cool for me to post details about a race and have someone critique things like its racial stat bonuses/penalties, racial trees, school techniques, etc.?

Randomman5
2016-05-10, 11:16 PM
So, six months later we actually have not only a solid idea of how progression works, but also have laid out the trees available to players. Now, every race has their own technique tree that splits into three branches. We figured that since, in the show, characters of certain races tended to use similar techniques to others of their race (i.e. Namekians with their telepathy, Frieza's Race all seemingly having Death Beam, etc.), then it would be lore-friendly to reflect that in the game. However, the trees also have 9 "bonus technique" slots which are basically for our equivalent of bonus feats - they're abilities that can be learned by anyone who fulfills the requirements, such as Kaio-Ken, Spirit Bomb, Solar Flare, Fusion Technique, etc.

Characters also do not gain new abilities on level-up, only HP (each race has its own hit die), ki (a flat 10 per level for all races) and increased saves, BaB and AC bonus (all based off of D&D 3.5's Monk). Instead, characters gain "SP" either through fighting or training, either alone or with a partner. SP can be spent to learn new techniques.

We also have a system for Beam Struggles (certain attacks can counter energy attacks and both players roll a d20 + their strength, Player who rolls lower takes 1/2 of their own attack's damage and the full damage of the opponent's attack).

Energy attacks are treated as ranged attacks that you do not apply your BaB to, but enemies do apply their armor bonus (to make them risk/reward since you need to pay a ki cost to use them.

I can post some sample abilities and even the whole trees here if anyone wants to take a look and maybe help fix some of the math going on here before we actually go out and test this in a real campaign.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-15, 07:19 PM
So, six months later we actually have not only a solid idea of how progression works, but also have laid out the trees available to players. Now, every race has their own technique tree that splits into three branches. We figured that since, in the show, characters of certain races tended to use similar techniques to others of their race (i.e. Namekians with their telepathy, Frieza's Race all seemingly having Death Beam, etc.), then it would be lore-friendly to reflect that in the game. However, the trees also have 9 "bonus technique" slots which are basically for our equivalent of bonus feats - they're abilities that can be learned by anyone who fulfills the requirements, such as Kaio-Ken, Spirit Bomb, Solar Flare, Fusion Technique, etc.

Characters also do not gain new abilities on level-up, only HP (each race has its own hit die), ki (a flat 10 per level for all races) and increased saves, BaB and AC bonus (all based off of D&D 3.5's Monk). Instead, characters gain "SP" either through fighting or training, either alone or with a partner. SP can be spent to learn new techniques.

We also have a system for Beam Struggles (certain attacks can counter energy attacks and both players roll a d20 + their strength, Player who rolls lower takes 1/2 of their own attack's damage and the full damage of the opponent's attack).

Energy attacks are treated as ranged attacks that you do not apply your BaB to, but enemies do apply their armor bonus (to make them risk/reward since you need to pay a ki cost to use them.

I can post some sample abilities and even the whole trees here if anyone wants to take a look and maybe help fix some of the math going on here before we actually go out and test this in a real campaign.

Sure I can look at it, sorry I didn't respond I forgot for a little bit and then figured the thread was dead.

Randomman5
2016-05-15, 09:20 PM
Okay, so the SP cost is how much SP it costs to learn the technique, and the ki cost is how much it costs to perform it. You get 10 ki per level and you gain SP by fighting (1d12 + the number of different techniques you used during the encounter), training alone (1d8 SP) or sparring with a partner (both players roll a d8, and they both gain the total of both rolls).

Okay, and we'll also go one branch at a time, too. I really just need feeback on if the damage rolls check out fairly and how much each technique should cost ki-wise. At each level, every race gains another 10 max ki to use.

Oh, and energy attacks work like ranged attacks (you can apply your base attack bonus to hit), only armor bonuses and natural bonuses don't apply, unless the armor says that it provides AC against ki attacks.

Each racial tree has a "root technique," which is the technique it branches out from, into three branches. I'll start with Namekians. They get a d10 for hit die, get a natural +3 to WIS but take -2 STR, and their racial traits are:

Demon Hand - Namekians may make melee attacks and grapple checks from 15 feet away as a full-round action.

Namekian Regeneration - A Namekian who has taken damage may regenerate any lost limbs as well as half the previous damage taken as a full-round action by passing a fortitude save (DC10 + level of enemy who inflicted the damage). Cannot be used if your head is significantly damaged/not there anymore.

Telepathy - 1st level Namekians get Telepathy as a bonus technique.

Each tree also has 9 "bonus technique" slots, 3 slots per branch. Each slot costs 20 SP and you can put choose any bonus technique from the bonus technique list to put into the slot. There is one bonus slot in between every two techniques.

Root Technique (the one that the branches shoot off of): Destructive Wave/Explosive Demon Wave (35 ki) and Chasing Bullet (20 SP, 25 ki) - When using this attack, either declare a “body shot” or an enemy’s body part. If a body shot, roll for a ranged touch attack and inflict 1d6 damage if you connect. If you declare a body shot, deal 1d4 damage to that enemy instantaneously, who must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your level) or have that body part broken/crippled. This weaker variant is known as “Chasing Bullet.”

Dende/Guru Branch (Support/Cleric stuff):

Healing (20 SP, 20 ki) - Heal one adjacent ally for 1d8 + your level HP.

Bonus Technique Slot

Defibrillation Kiai (35 SP, 40 ki) - Place your hands on an unconscious ally’s chest and use your own ki to restart their heart. The ally is revived with half their max HP and ki.

Draw Out Dormant Power (50 SP, ki cost undetermined) - Remove any non-self-afflicted status effects from an adjacent ally and give them a temporary +1 to AC, DEX and/or STR (the number of different bonuses is equal to the number of effects removed at once).

Bonus Technique Slot

Healing Ray (40 SP, 30 ki) - Heal an ally from a distance! You may perform Healing from up to 15 feet away.

Improved Healing (45 SP, ki cost undetermined) - Heal an adjacent ally for 2d8 + your level (max +10) HP.

Bonus Technique Slot

Resurrection (80 SP, 140 ki) - You may revive the dead. A revived being is resurrected at full HP and ki, but both you and your target lose 1d12 + their level SP (or forget one technique from the end of one of your trees if they do not have enough SP). The creature cannot have been dead for longer than a year. You cannot resurrect the same person twice.

Piccolo Branch (Combat):

Demon Rend (30 SP, 20 ki) - If you succeed in a grapple check on a distant enemy using Demon Hand, you may reel them in for an unarmed strike, dealing an additional 1d6 of damage on top of your unarmed strike damage. For every 2 levels past 1, you may spend an additional 5 ki to increase this damage by another d6 (max: +5d6).

Bonus Technique Slot

Afterimage (20 SP, 10 ki) - Move to another location so fast that you leave an image of yourself behind! You may move your full movement speed. Enemies will see the Afterimage as if it were you and must succeed in a Spot check to notice the real you. The opponent gains a +1 to this Spot check for every Afterimage you’ve performed this encounter. Full-round action.

Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappo (40 SP, 50 ki uncharged, 75 ki charged) - Fire a beam of energy from your fingers that deals 3d6 damage! If you charge Special Beam Cannon for one turn, it will pierce through your opponent and break any armor they’re wearing. You must succeed in a ranged attack roll to inflict damage to your enemy. Any bonuses to AC against ki attacks from armor are ignored. Full-round action.

Bonus Technique Slot

Risking It All For A Friend (40 SP) - If an adjacent ally would be hit with an energy attack, you may choose to make a reflex save (DC 10 + enemy level) to take the hit for them.

Light Grenade (70 SP, 80 ki) - Blast your enemy with a blinding ball of energy, dealing 3d6 damage and blinding everyone adjacent to them for 1d4 rounds. You must succeed in a ranged touch attack to inflict damage.

Bonus Technique Slot

Hellzone Grenade (70 SP, 100 ki) - Deal 5d6 to all enemies in a 30-foot radius. They may attempt a reflex save to halve the damage.

Kami/King Piccolo Branch (Weird magic stuff):

Teleportation (30 SP) - Instantly appear at one location you can see or one that you have visited. The more familiar you are with the location, the easier it is to teleport there. The ki cost is also determined by your familiarity.
Don't know anything about it: 75
Know a little bit: 50
Know pretty well: 25
Know a lot: 10

Bonus Technique Slot

Magic Materialization (40 SP, ki cost undetermined) - You may use magic to create simple, inorganic objects (cannot be used to create food or water).

Great Namek (40 SP, 100 ki) - Become a giant! Enlarge yourself into a Huge creature, increasing your weight, unarmed damage and reach accordingly.

Bonus Technique Slot

Telekinesis (60 SP, 10 ki) - You can move objects with your mind. You may move 25 lbs per your level to a distance of 400 ft. +(40 per your level).

Far-Seeing Arts (50 SP, ki cost undetermined) - You can see and hear some creature, which may be at any distance. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, the technique simply fails. The difficulty of the save depends on how well you know the subject and what sort of physical connection (if any) you have to that creature. Furthermore, if the subject is on another plane, it gets a +5 bonus on its Will save. If the save fails, you can see and hear the subject and the subject’s immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject). If the subject moves, the sensor follows at a speed of up to 150 feet. Can be nullified by whistling.

Bonus Technique Slot

Super Namek (80 SP) - Permanently gain a +3 to INT and WIS, +2 to STR and gain access to Greater Namek

Greater Namek - When performing Great Namek, you may become a Gargantuan creature instead. You may choose to increase to Greater Namek if you are already a Great Namek; you do not need to return to base form first.

Note that Teleportation, Telekinesis and Far-Seeing Arts are basically taken straight from D&D 3.5's Teleport, Telekinesis and Scrying. Also, I know that a lot of this is probably horrendously unbalanced. That's why I brought it here - I want to make sure this thing is legitimately fun, engaging and as fine-tuned as possible before my friends and I try to actually run a campaign.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-16, 06:27 PM
Okay, so the SP cost is how much SP it costs to learn the technique, and the ki cost is how much it costs to perform it. You get 10 ki per level and you gain SP by fighting (1d12 + the number of different techniques you used during the encounter), training alone (1d8 SP) or sparring with a partner (both players roll a d8, and they both gain the total of both rolls).

Okay, and we'll also go one branch at a time, too. I really just need feeback on if the damage rolls check out fairly and how much each technique should cost ki-wise. At each level, every race gains another 10 max ki to use.

Oh, and energy attacks work like ranged attacks (you can apply your base attack bonus to hit), only armor bonuses and natural bonuses don't apply, unless the armor says that it provides AC against ki attacks.

Each racial tree has a "root technique," which is the technique it branches out from, into three branches. I'll start with Namekians. They get a d10 for hit die, get a natural +3 to WIS but take -2 STR, and their racial traits are:

Demon Hand - Namekians may make melee attacks and grapple checks from 15 feet away as a full-round action.

Namekian Regeneration - A Namekian who has taken damage may regenerate any lost limbs as well as half the previous damage taken as a full-round action by passing a fortitude save (DC10 + level of enemy who inflicted the damage). Cannot be used if your head is significantly damaged/not there anymore.

Telepathy - 1st level Namekians get Telepathy as a bonus technique.

Each tree also has 9 "bonus technique" slots, 3 slots per branch. Each slot costs 20 SP and you can put choose any bonus technique from the bonus technique list to put into the slot. There is one bonus slot in between every two techniques.

Root Technique (the one that the branches shoot off of): Destructive Wave/Explosive Demon Wave (35 ki) and Chasing Bullet (20 SP, 25 ki) - When using this attack, either declare a “body shot” or an enemy’s body part. If a body shot, roll for a ranged touch attack and inflict 1d6 damage if you connect. If you declare a body shot, deal 1d4 damage to that enemy instantaneously, who must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your level) or have that body part broken/crippled. This weaker variant is known as “Chasing Bullet.”

Dende/Guru Branch (Support/Cleric stuff):

Healing (20 SP, 20 ki) - Heal one adjacent ally for 1d8 + your level HP.

Bonus Technique Slot

Defibrillation Kiai (35 SP, 40 ki) - Place your hands on an unconscious ally’s chest and use your own ki to restart their heart. The ally is revived with half their max HP and ki.

Draw Out Dormant Power (50 SP, ki cost undetermined) - Remove any non-self-afflicted status effects from an adjacent ally and give them a temporary +1 to AC, DEX and/or STR (the number of different bonuses is equal to the number of effects removed at once).

Bonus Technique Slot

Healing Ray (40 SP, 30 ki) - Heal an ally from a distance! You may perform Healing from up to 15 feet away.

Improved Healing (45 SP, ki cost undetermined) - Heal an adjacent ally for 2d8 + your level (max +10) HP.

Bonus Technique Slot

Resurrection (80 SP, 140 ki) - You may revive the dead. A revived being is resurrected at full HP and ki, but both you and your target lose 1d12 + their level SP (or forget one technique from the end of one of your trees if they do not have enough SP). The creature cannot have been dead for longer than a year. You cannot resurrect the same person twice.

Piccolo Branch (Combat):

Demon Rend (30 SP, 20 ki) - If you succeed in a grapple check on a distant enemy using Demon Hand, you may reel them in for an unarmed strike, dealing an additional 1d6 of damage on top of your unarmed strike damage. For every 2 levels past 1, you may spend an additional 5 ki to increase this damage by another d6 (max: +5d6).

Bonus Technique Slot

Afterimage (20 SP, 10 ki) - Move to another location so fast that you leave an image of yourself behind! You may move your full movement speed. Enemies will see the Afterimage as if it were you and must succeed in a Spot check to notice the real you. The opponent gains a +1 to this Spot check for every Afterimage you’ve performed this encounter. Full-round action.

Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappo (40 SP, 50 ki uncharged, 75 ki charged) - Fire a beam of energy from your fingers that deals 3d6 damage! If you charge Special Beam Cannon for one turn, it will pierce through your opponent and break any armor they’re wearing. You must succeed in a ranged attack roll to inflict damage to your enemy. Any bonuses to AC against ki attacks from armor are ignored. Full-round action.

Bonus Technique Slot

Risking It All For A Friend (40 SP) - If an adjacent ally would be hit with an energy attack, you may choose to make a reflex save (DC 10 + enemy level) to take the hit for them.

Light Grenade (70 SP, 80 ki) - Blast your enemy with a blinding ball of energy, dealing 3d6 damage and blinding everyone adjacent to them for 1d4 rounds. You must succeed in a ranged touch attack to inflict damage.

Bonus Technique Slot

Hellzone Grenade (70 SP, 100 ki) - Deal 5d6 to all enemies in a 30-foot radius. They may attempt a reflex save to halve the damage.

Kami/King Piccolo Branch (Weird magic stuff):

Teleportation (30 SP) - Instantly appear at one location you can see or one that you have visited. The more familiar you are with the location, the easier it is to teleport there. The ki cost is also determined by your familiarity.
Don't know anything about it: 75
Know a little bit: 50
Know pretty well: 25
Know a lot: 10

Bonus Technique Slot

Magic Materialization (40 SP, ki cost undetermined) - You may use magic to create simple, inorganic objects (cannot be used to create food or water).

Great Namek (40 SP, 100 ki) - Become a giant! Enlarge yourself into a Huge creature, increasing your weight, unarmed damage and reach accordingly.

Bonus Technique Slot

Telekinesis (60 SP, 10 ki) - You can move objects with your mind. You may move 25 lbs per your level to a distance of 400 ft. +(40 per your level).

Far-Seeing Arts (50 SP, ki cost undetermined) - You can see and hear some creature, which may be at any distance. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, the technique simply fails. The difficulty of the save depends on how well you know the subject and what sort of physical connection (if any) you have to that creature. Furthermore, if the subject is on another plane, it gets a +5 bonus on its Will save. If the save fails, you can see and hear the subject and the subject’s immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject). If the subject moves, the sensor follows at a speed of up to 150 feet. Can be nullified by whistling.

Bonus Technique Slot

Super Namek (80 SP) - Permanently gain a +3 to INT and WIS, +2 to STR and gain access to Greater Namek

Greater Namek - When performing Great Namek, you may become a Gargantuan creature instead. You may choose to increase to Greater Namek if you are already a Great Namek; you do not need to return to base form first.

Note that Teleportation, Telekinesis and Far-Seeing Arts are basically taken straight from D&D 3.5's Teleport, Telekinesis and Scrying. Also, I know that a lot of this is probably horrendously unbalanced. That's why I brought it here - I want to make sure this thing is legitimately fun, engaging and as fine-tuned as possible before my friends and I try to actually run a campaign.

Not too bad so far, but the damage is kinda low for many of the abilities. You said 10 ki per level which means hellzone grenade would only be usable at 10th level at the earliest and would use all your ki. This is a bit of a problem when you consider that at 5th level a wizard could use fireball doing the same damage and twice as much at 10th, while only using up some of their resources(spells per day) at 5th and a little bit of resources at 10th and at a much greater range. And that's not even mentioning fireball isn't even a good source of damage. So if you want to stick with that format I suggest at least 1d6 damage per level for such attacks, probably either also add in unarmed damage, or make it 1d6+1 damage per level with a smallish cost increase to make it maximised. Also special beam cannon, 3d8 damage comes out to an average of 10.5 damage; from the attack that killed two incredibly powerful warrior in one hit. I would consider scaling damage with a potential small cost increase. Look at psionics for how this is done as well as spells focused on attacking. And again, unless I'm misinterpreting you, the ki costs are way too high, like only one below average damage attack in an encounter high. If you have trouble with damage calculations I would suggest at least 10 damage per level for a high damage supernova style attack, and at least 5 damage per level for an average attack made by a damage focused character, to determine an attack's average damage take the minimum(in the case of hellzone grenade 5) plus the maximum(30) and divide by 2(5+30/2=17.5) and then compare that to what it probably should be(17.5/100 at level 10=17.5% what it should be a that cost).

Also as far as using monk as a base, you might want to steer clear. Monk's are invariably the weakest character class in the game, maybe monk stats for the ki attack focused characters but you'll want full BaB for melee characters. Also the movement speed I would say is definitely not overpowered to add on, you could add the whole monk class onto these abilities and only make a sub par character.

DeadpanSal
2016-05-16, 07:28 PM
I'd kill to own a sourcebook for this: Over 9000 pages, mostly filler.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-16, 08:45 PM
I'd kill to own a sourcebook for this: Over 9000 pages, mostly filler.

I kinda don't even feel comfortable posting after something that impactful. Can I sig this?

DeadpanSal
2016-05-16, 09:59 PM
Thanks, I felt good saying it.

And go ahead.

Randomman5
2016-05-16, 10:20 PM
So, you're saying that large, AoE, endgame moves should be doing at least around 10 damage (on average) per user level, and more directed attacks should be doing 5 per level? Sorry, I'm just kinda new at all this so the damage calculations and stat interactions aren't my strong point quite yet.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-16, 10:27 PM
So, you're saying that large, AoE, endgame moves should be doing at least around 10 damage (on average) per user level, and more directed attacks should be doing 5 per level? Sorry, I'm just kinda new at all this so the damage calculations and stat interactions aren't my strong point quite yet.

Yeah, it doesn't have to fall exactly in line with that but try to get it kinda close, having it scale appropriately with level is the important part. Try looking at damaging powers and spells for hints, 1d8 or 1d6+1 per level for a Kamehameha for example wouldn't be bad. And again unless I'm missing something with what you said the abilities seem to have a high ki cost. I'm going to bed for now but I'll check by in the morning.

Randomman5
2016-05-16, 11:08 PM
Well Chasing Bullet was loosely based on Magic Missile but I think I get what you're saying. I should look through actual D&D spell lists and take note of things like how many spells of what intensity can be used daily at what level, how much damage each level of spell does, etc.?

Also, yeah that sourcebook joke was kind of legendary XD

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-17, 06:19 AM
Well Chasing Bullet was loosely based on Magic Missile but I think I get what you're saying. I should look through actual D&D spell lists and take note of things like how many spells of what intensity can be used daily at what level, how much damage each level of spell does, etc.?

Also, yeah that sourcebook joke was kind of legendary XD

Yeah existing spells are a good thing to look at. Though again spells aren't really good for damage so you're going to want the ki abilities to be a little more powerful since they are more damage focused. And don't be afraid to look at psionics and martial maneuvers, all the psionic classes in the srd are easy to find online and it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on the tome of battle maneuvers.

Randomman5
2016-05-17, 09:27 AM
In hindsight I should probably mention that every race (except Androids) have a basic "charge" ability. It lets them regain 1d4 + user level ki. Players can get bonus techniques to improve the die they roll.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-17, 01:42 PM
In hindsight I should probably mention that every race (except Androids) have a basic "charge" ability. It lets them regain 1d4 + user level ki. Players can get bonus techniques to improve the die they roll.

That's a bit better then, still might be low but it'd be more balanced if the base prices are lower and you pay a little bit more to make it more powerful based on your level.

Randomman5
2016-05-17, 02:03 PM
Actually I think Namekians are one of the few races we have in the format that don't have an attack (yet) that can get stronger by paying more, though the ones that presently do are all multi-hit (Human Extinction Attack, Infinity Bullet, Parmesan Shower, Vicious Drive...). So yeah, attacks that make their single hit stronger by paying more would be a good idea so that they scale more. Should I put up another race's technique tree or wait until we can fully resolve Nameks first?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-17, 02:48 PM
Actually I think Namekians are one of the few races we have in the format that don't have an attack (yet) that can get stronger by paying more, though the ones that presently do are all multi-hit (Human Extinction Attack, Infinity Bullet, Parmesan Shower, Vicious Drive...). So yeah, attacks that make their single hit stronger by paying more would be a good idea so that they scale more. Should I put up another race's technique tree or wait until we can fully resolve Nameks first?

Come back with what you've decided to change in this one first, discuss it with your friend to make sure it's okay, then you can move on after you know it's all good.

Randomman5
2016-05-17, 05:15 PM
So I'm just putting this here to see if I'm on the right track. I lowered the cost of Chasing Bullet and Destructive Wave (the first technique Namekians get) so that at level 1 (which won't happen since play is meant to start at level 5, actually) they can use one or the other once before needing to charge their ki back up. In addition, I made it so that Chasing Bullet (the instantaneous variant) can fire more blasts if you pay more ki (thus allowing you to hit one target multiple times or fire a blast each at multiple targets) but also made it so that you can increase the damage of Destructive Wave by paying more ki as well. And finally, the "chance to break enemy limbs" has been removed from the instantaneous Chasing Bullet and instead given to the attack-roll-based Destructive Wave. In short:

Old technique: Destructive Wave/Explosive Demon Wave (35 ki) and Chasing Bullet (20 SP, 25 ki) - When using this attack, either declare a “body shot” or an enemy’s body part. If a body shot, roll for a ranged touch attack and inflict 1d6 damage if you connect. If you declare a body part, deal 1d4 damage to that enemy instantaneously, who must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your level) or have that body part broken/crippled. This weaker variant is known as “Chasing Bullet.”

New technique: Chasing Bullet and Destructive Wave/Explosive Demon Wave (20 SP, 10 ki) - When using this attack, either declare a “body shot” or an enemy’s body part. If a body shot, inflict 1d4+1 damage instantaneously to one creature. If you declare a body part, roll for a ranged attack and inflict deal 1d6+1 damage to that enemy, who must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your level) or have that body part broken/crippled. You may pay additional ki to increase the damage of Explosive Demon Wave by 1d6 for every additional 10 ki spent. The weaker instantaneous variant is known as “Chasing Bullet.” (Renzoku Energy Dan/Continuous Energy Bullet - You may pay 5 ki after firing a Chasing Bullet to fire an additional Chasing Bullet, up to a maximum of five total Chasing Bullets. You must pay 5 ki for each additional Chasing Bullet after your first. Each subsequent chasing bullet may target the same creature as the initial attack or a different creature.)

(The "/" indicates that a player may use either name to refer to the attack if they wish. The same distinction also occurs with Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappo.)

Is this more in-line with how it should be, or is it still not scaling entirely correctly?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-17, 06:22 PM
So I'm just putting this here to see if I'm on the right track. I lowered the cost of Chasing Bullet and Destructive Wave (the first technique Namekians get) so that at level 1 (which won't happen since play is meant to start at level 5, actually) they can use one or the other once before needing to charge their ki back up. In addition, I made it so that Chasing Bullet (the instantaneous variant) can fire more blasts if you pay more ki (thus allowing you to hit one target multiple times or fire a blast each at multiple targets) but also made it so that you can increase the damage of Destructive Wave by paying more ki as well. And finally, the "chance to break enemy limbs" has been removed from the instantaneous Chasing Bullet and instead given to the attack-roll-based Destructive Wave. In short:

Old technique: Destructive Wave/Explosive Demon Wave (35 ki) and Chasing Bullet (20 SP, 25 ki) - When using this attack, either declare a “body shot” or an enemy’s body part. If a body shot, roll for a ranged touch attack and inflict 1d6 damage if you connect. If you declare a body part, deal 1d4 damage to that enemy instantaneously, who must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your level) or have that body part broken/crippled. This weaker variant is known as “Chasing Bullet.”

New technique: Chasing Bullet and Destructive Wave/Explosive Demon Wave (20 SP, 10 ki) - When using this attack, either declare a “body shot” or an enemy’s body part. If a body shot, inflict 1d4+1 damage instantaneously to one creature. If you declare a body part, roll for a ranged attack and inflict deal 1d6+1 damage to that enemy, who must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your level) or have that body part broken/crippled. You may pay additional ki to increase the damage of Explosive Demon Wave by 1d6 for every additional 10 ki spent. The weaker instantaneous variant is known as “Chasing Bullet.” (Renzoku Energy Dan/Continuous Energy Bullet - You may pay 5 ki after firing a Chasing Bullet to fire an additional Chasing Bullet, up to a maximum of five total Chasing Bullets. You must pay 5 ki for each additional Chasing Bullet after your first. Each subsequent chasing bullet may target the same creature as the initial attack or a different creature.)

(The "/" indicates that a player may use either name to refer to the attack if they wish. The same distinction also occurs with Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappo.)

Is this more in-line with how it should be, or is it still not scaling entirely correctly?

Not too bad, the wording on spending the 5 for an additional blast after 10 for an additional damage die is a little strange, but even at its cheesiest at level 5 as an example(30ki for 3d6 blast and another 20 for 4 more of those blasts) it's still only an average of about 55 damage or so, so I doubt it'll be too overpowered, it does scale the damage a little bit much at higher levels but that's only if you spend ALL your ki on it, which in reality in DBZ if they spent literally all their ki on one attack it would be very powerful so it's probably fine as is.

I mean at level 20 it can do more like 16 damage per level but by then dealing direct damage isn't a good strategy in normal D&D and probably not even an unreasonable amount of damage in a DBZ20 game, especially for all your ki.

Randomman5
2016-05-17, 08:01 PM
Okay, I'm just gonna do the entire healing branch in one shot since that one doesn't seem to be too off from where it should be.

Healing - Ki cost reduced from 20 to 15, amount healed is the same (1d8 +user level)

Defibrillation Kiai - Cost reduced from 40 to 20.

Draw Out Dormant Power - Actually has a ki cost now, 40.

Healing Ray - Ki cost changed to 30 so that it doesn't cost too much more than regular healing, but you pay more for the ability to do it at range.

Improved Healing - Cost set at 35 ki so that it costs less than using regular healing twice, while still healing twice as much (more or less).

Resurrection - Cost changed to 100 since bringing someone back from the dead is still going to take a lot of energy, even with the lowered costs of every technique.

Note that I'm making these changes alone, my friend actually mostly helped with concepts and story and literally told me that they'd leave mechanics up to me.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-17, 09:17 PM
Okay, I'm just gonna do the entire healing branch in one shot since that one doesn't seem to be too off from where it should be.

Healing - Ki cost reduced from 20 to 15, amount healed is the same (1d8 +user level)

Defibrillation Kiai - Cost reduced from 40 to 20.

Draw Out Dormant Power - Actually has a ki cost now, 40.

Healing Ray - Ki cost changed to 30 so that it doesn't cost too much more than regular healing, but you pay more for the ability to do it at range.

Improved Healing - Cost set at 35 ki so that it costs less than using regular healing twice, while still healing twice as much (more or less).

Resurrection - Cost changed to 100 since bringing someone back from the dead is still going to take a lot of energy, even with the lowered costs of every technique.

Note that I'm making these changes alone, my friend actually mostly helped with concepts and story and literally told me that they'd leave mechanics up to me.

I forgot about this, yeah the healing isn't that powerful compared to dedicated healers but then again Dende's not a powerhouse. Though resurrection is a VERY powerful ability, it even shouldn't be a big deal since it needs a higher level to use, plus people come back from the dead all the time in DBZ. By the way are you just planning to have the dragonballs grant a wish as the wish spell?

Randomman5
2016-05-17, 09:24 PM
I was actually just going to have the Dragon Balls work with the same rules as the Dragon Balls in-canon, those being

Shenron (And Porunga) cannot affect someone stronger than their creator against their will.
Someone who died of natural causes cannot be resurrected.
Shenron can resurrect someone who has been dead for over a year but cannot fully restore their body.
Shenron can't (or just won't) grant the exact same wish twice. Ergo, you can't resurrect the same person twice.

Mechanically, however, you can't wish to instantly become max level - I'll justify that with Shenron saying that it is "beyond his power" to increase someone's strength too dramatically. Or do you think I should just have Shenron use the same rules/possible effects as the wish spell?

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-18, 02:35 PM
I was actually just going to have the Dragon Balls work with the same rules as the Dragon Balls in-canon, those being

Shenron (And Porunga) cannot affect someone stronger than their creator against their will.
Someone who died of natural causes cannot be resurrected.
Shenron can resurrect someone who has been dead for over a year but cannot fully restore their body.
Shenron can't (or just won't) grant the exact same wish twice. Ergo, you can't resurrect the same person twice.

Mechanically, however, you can't wish to instantly become max level - I'll justify that with Shenron saying that it is "beyond his power" to increase someone's strength too dramatically. Or do you think I should just have Shenron use the same rules/possible effects as the wish spell?

It really depends on how often you expect players to get the dragonballs. If only once or twice in a campaign then like the wish spell is probably fine, if more often than that then I wouldn't really set solid rules for it and just wing it, maybe like limited wish if you're worried but it shouldn't be that big of a deal sense it'd be pretty rare and normal spellcasting isn't really a thing. But again how often will they get the dragon balls?

Randomman5
2016-05-18, 03:07 PM
Well I'm planning a part of the campaign where 2 villains, Saiyan siblings named Ruda and Vega (name puns are fun) are looking for Earth's Dragon Balls to wish for immortality. Regardless of who summons Shenron, I'll reveal that Shenron can't actually do that (both so an unsuccessful party doesn't have to fight 2 immortal Saiyans, and so a successful party doesn't wish for immortality and break the campaign open like an egg).

Later on, they'll have the opportunity to find Dragon Balls on another planet, called Planet Vana. The twist is that these second set are fake and actually steal life force from anyone who makes a wish.

MorgromTheOrc
2016-05-18, 05:23 PM
Well I'm planning a part of the campaign where 2 villains, Saiyan siblings named Ruda and Vega (name puns are fun) are looking for Earth's Dragon Balls to wish for immortality. Regardless of who summons Shenron, I'll reveal that Shenron can't actually do that (both so an unsuccessful party doesn't have to fight 2 immortal Saiyans, and so a successful party doesn't wish for immortality and break the campaign open like an egg).

Later on, they'll have the opportunity to find Dragon Balls on another planet, called Planet Vana. The twist is that these second set are fake and actually steal life force from anyone who makes a wish.

I'm guessing they'll be around level 10-15 the first time then, so a limited wish would be fine, and an actual wish probably wouldn't be a big deal as long as you don't let them use OOC knowledge to abuse it(as in they don't know about spells being a group of non magic meatheads so they can't try to make a wish loop or something).

Randomman5
2016-05-18, 05:41 PM
Actually, players can choose to have their characters be one of a few "jobs," which are basically what they're doing when not blowing stuff up. The choices (off the top of my head) are stuff like Doctor, Mystic, Survivalist, Scholar and Smuggler (probably adding more). These comprise non-combat skills like Diplomacy, Search, etc. So some of them could be smart enough to try and game the system with Shenron's rules.

...That being said, since Shenron (unlike the wish spell) is a sentient creature, he can outright refuse a wish if, for example, the wisher is trying to circumvent the rules or just be a smartass.

Randomman5
2016-05-19, 12:31 AM
Oh, and we retooled the Piccolo (combat) branch and the Kami/Lord Slug (Weird magic stuff).

Piccolo:

Demon Rend (10 ki) - If you succeed in a grapple check on a distant enemy using Demon Hand, you may reel them in for an unarmed strike, dealing an additional 1d6 of damage. For every 2 levels past 1, you may spend an additional 5 ki to increase this damage by another d6 (max: +5d6). (Cost lowered).

Afterimage (10 ki) - Move to another location so fast that you leave an image of yourself behind! You may move your full movement speed. Enemies will see the Afterimage as if it were you and must succeed in a Spot check to notice the real you. The opponent gains a +1 to this Spot check for every Afterimage you’ve performed this encounter. Full-round action. (Largely unchanged.)

Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappo (30 ki) - Fire a beam of energy from your fingers that deals 6d6 damage per user level, as well as piercing through enemies hit. For every level past 6, you may pay an additional 5 ki to increase the damage by another d6 (max: 10d6). Enemies may attempt a reflex save (DC user level + 10 + their WIS) to halve the damage they receive. If the target is wearing armor over the body part struck, that armor is destroyed. Full-round action. If you strike an opponent that an ally is holding in a Full-Nelson or Bear Hug with Special Beam Cannon/Makankosappo, both ally and target die instantly (this effect does not apply to particularly strong enemies). (Cost decreased, base damage decrease but can now scale with level. One-round charge no longer required to pierce enemies or break armor).

Risking It All For A Friend - If an adjacent ally would be hit with an energy attack, you may choose to make a reflex save (DC 10 + enemy level) to take the hit for them. (Unchanged)

Light Grenade (45 ki) - Blast your enemy with a blinding ball of energy, dealing 6d6 damage and blinding everyone adjacent to them for 1d4 rounds. You must succeed in a ranged attack to inflict damage. For every level after 6, you may pay an additional 5 ki to increase the damage by another d6 per 5 additional ki spent (max: 20d6) and add +1 to the blind duration (max: +4 turns blinded). Characters wearing sunglasses or scouters cannot be blinded. (Cost decrease, damage increase and scales with level. Max damage higher than SBC but base ki cost is higher and doesn't pierce enemies. Attack suited for different situations depending on enemies and amount of ki available.)

Hellzone Grenade (60 ki) - Fire a volley of 4 large ki spheres to any 4 spots you wish within a 400 ft. + 40 ft. per user level radius. If you aim a sphere at a creature, it takes 2d6 points of damage (with no save) from the sphere - you must succeed in a ranged touch attack to hit a target with a ki sphere, otherwise the sphere explodes next to the target instead. Once all four spheres have reached their destinations, designate a fifth spot - all four sphere will converge upon that spot and detonate, dealing 6d6 damage per sphere detonated in a 40-ft. radius. Enemies within the radius must make a reflex save against each sphere that detonated. Ki spheres can be destroyed by opponents with the Energy Blade/Sauzer Blade technique, and will not detonate if they hit a wall, shield technique or are avoided via Afterimage, Wild Sense or similar techniques. A ki sphere that cannot reach the convergence point due to a wall, creature or other obstacle will detonate against the obstruction instead. (Attack completely overhauled, now is largely an adaptation of the D&D spell Meteor Swarm. Possible balancing issues, but those can be resolved through mechanics tweaks. More canonically-accurate with this system.)

Kami/Lord Slug

Teleportation - Instantly appear at one location you can see or one that you have visited, within 100 miles per user level. The more familiar you are with the location, the easier it is to teleport there. The ki cost is also determined by your familiarity.
Location literally does not exist: 100
Viewed once: 75
Seen casually: 50
Studied carefully: 25
Very familiar: 10
To determine success, roll a d100. The result will determine whether you land on-target, off-target, in a similar area or suffer a mishap.
On-target: You appear right where you want to be.
Off-target: You missed. Roll 1d10, then another d10, and multiply the results together. That result is the percentage of the desired distance that you are from your actual target, i.e. a result of 20 for a 100-foot teleport will mean that you are 20 feet from your intended target.
Similar area: You appear somewhere that’s visually or thematically similar to the intended target. You will appear in the closest similar place. If no such place exists within your teleport’s range, the technique will fail instead.
Mishap: You and anyone teleporting with you have gotten “scrambled.” You each take 1d10 points of damage, then roll 1d20 + 20 to attempt to reach your actual destination.

(Location literally does not exist: 81-92: Similar area; 93-100: Mishap)

(Viewed once: 01-76: On-target; 77-88: Off-target; 89-96: Similar area; 97-100: Mishap)

(Seen casually: 01-88: On-target; 89-94: Off-target; 95-98: Similar area; 99-100: Mishap)

(Studied carefully: 01-94: On-target; 95-97: Off-target; 98-99: Similar area; 100: Mishap)

(Very familiar: 01-97: On-target; 98-99: Off-target; 100: Similar area)

(Teleportation is now completely based on the D&D spell. Just, without shame, totally used those mechanics.)

Magic Materialization/“Clothes Beam!” (60 ki) - You may use magic to create simple, inorganic objects (cannot be used to create food or water). (Given a ki cost = 60)

Great Namek (50 ki) - Become a giant! Enlarge yourself into a Huge creature, increasing your weight, unarmed damage and reach accordingly. (Cost lowered from 100

Telekinesis (10 ki) - You can move objects with your mind. You may move 25 lbs per your level to a distance of 400 ft. +(40 per your level).

Far-Seeing Arts (60 ki)- You can see and hear some creature, which may be at any distance. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, the technique simply fails. The difficulty of the save depends on how well you know the subject and what sort of physical connection (if any) you have to that creature. Furthermore, if the subject is on another plane, it gets a +5 bonus on its Will save. If the save fails, you can see and hear the subject and the subject’s immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject). If the subject moves, the sensor follows at a speed of up to 150 feet. Can be nullified by whistling.

Super Namek - Permanently gain a +3 to INT and WIS, +2 to STR and gain access to Greater Namek
Greater Namek (60 ki) - When performing Great Namek, you may become a Gargantuan creature instead. You may choose to increase to Greater Namek if you are already a Great Namek; you do not need to return to base form first. If you are a Great Namek and transform into a Greater Namek, you only spend 10 ki instead of Greater Namek's usual cost of 60.

Randomman5
2016-05-29, 12:15 AM
And on another note, we (that is, me and the other people I know who are working on this homebrew system) just rebalanced the Saiyan tree to fall more in line with the feedback we've gotten on the Namekians. So, that being said...

Saiyans

Saiyans get a d6 for their hit die and a natural +3 to STR but -2 to INT. Racial traits are:

Zenkai - A Saiyan whose health is reduced to 0 during a fight receives 1.5x EXP if they survive it.

Great Ape - A Saiyan who still has their tail will transform into a Huge-class creature upon viewing the full moon or a Saiyan Power Ball.

Tail - A Saiyan may only transform into a Great Ape if they possess a tail. A Saiyan is paralyzed if their tail is grabbed. If a Great Ape's tail is severed, the Great Ape reverts to normal form and the Saiyan must succeed in a Will save to avoid passing out.

As for the root technique to their technique tree, well, what else but...?

Super Saiyan - Transform into a Super Saiyan, gaining +1 to STR and DEX and 5 speed for every 6 user levels. Whenever you would roll a die/dice for damage for a technique, you may roll an additional 1 of that die for damage. Your alignment also temporarily becomes Chaotic, regardless of what it was before. You must spend 5 ki per round to remain transformed, and revert back to base for if your ki drops below 25% or you are K.O.’d. You cannot transform if you have less than 50% ki.

And after that their tree (like everyone else's) splits into three branches.

Great Ape/Oozaru Branch - A branch designed around transforming into a Saiyan's ape form and using its size and strength to overwhelm opponents. Culminates with Super Saiyan 4, which grants Great Ape's benefits without its downsides.

Power Ball (40 SP, 15 ki) - Throw a large ball of energy that mixes with the planet’s atmosphere to produce Blutz Waves, the radiation that triggers Saiyan Great Ape transformations. Even if a Power Ball is destroyed, you may remain transformed for 1d4 + your level rounds afterwards.

Bonus Technique Slot

Controlled Great Ape (40 SP) - You do not go berserk when transformed into a Great Ape, and are no longer paralyzed when your tail is grabbed. If a Power Ball or full planetary body reflecting Blutz Waves is destroyed, you may remain transformed for 1d4 + your level (max: +3) rounds.

Crushing In Hands (40 SP) - Show your opponent your King Kong impression by crushing their body in your hands. You must succeed in a grapple check while transformed into a Great Ape to crush an opponent. Rolls your unarmed damage for crushing your opponent. While transformed into a Super Saiyan 4, you gain access to:
Super Dragon Fist (70 ki) - Punch through your opponent, summoning a golden ki dragon to fly through them and damaging all enemies along its path. You must succeed in a normal unarmed attack to perform Super Dragon Fist. Roll your unarmed damage for the initial strike, followed by 6d8 to all enemies in a line in front of you for the ki dragon. For every level past 6, you may pay an additional 5 ki to increase the damage by another d8 (max: 12d8).

Bonus Technique Slot

Super Galick Blaster (50 SP, 40 ki) - Fire a blast of energy from your mouth at an opponent, dealing 3d6 damage to them if you succeed in a ranged touch attack. You may pay an additional 5 ki for every level past 3 to deal an additional d6 of damage (max: 7d6). You must be transformed into a Great Ape to perform Super Galick Blaster. While transformed into a Super Saiyan 4, you gain access to:
10x Kamehameha/Final Shine Attack (50 ki) - Deal 6d6 damage to an opponent. You must succeed in a ranged touch attack. You may pay an additional 5 ki for every level past 6 to deal an additional d6 of damage (max: 10d6). You may only know one of either 10x Kamehameha or Final Shine Attack, but the difference is merely cosmetic - 10x Kamehameha is a two-handed attack whereas Final Shine Attack uses only one hand.

Golden Great Ape (60 SP)- You may transform into a Super Saiyan while already transformed into a Great Ape. You must spend 5 ki per turn to remain transformed as a Golden Great Ape, revert to Great Ape if your ki drops below 25%, revert to Super Saiyan if your tail is cut off or the moon/Power Ball is destroyed and your extra transformation turns run out. Full-Power Super Saiyan does not negate the ki cost of Golden Great Ape, and your alignment still changes to Chaotic while a Golden Great Ape.

Bonus Technique Slot

Super Saiyan 4 (100 SP)- Gain control over your bestial form and use its power in your humanoid body. Your size modifiers to AC, Hide and space are the same as your base form, but your unarmed damage is treated as if you were a Huge-class creature of your level. Additionally, gain access to Super Dragon Fist and either 10x Kamehameha or Final Shine Attack. You must spend 8 ki per turn to remain transformed as a Super Saiyan 4 and will revert to base form if your ki drops below 25%. You cannot transform if your ki is lower than 25%.

Super Saiyan Awakening Branch - Designed around unlocking higher forms of Super Saiyan and using the forms' increased damage output to maximize damage on an opponent without leaving yourself too open.

Super Kamehameha (40SP,20 ki) - Fire a two-handed beam of energy at your opponent, dealing 2d8 damage if you succeed in a ranged touch attack. For every level past 2, you may pay an additional 10 ki to inflict an additional 1d8 damage (max: 7d). Full-round action.

Bonus Technique Slot

Super Saiyan 2 (40 SP) -Surpass the limits of a Super Saiyan and ascend to a Super Saiyan 2, gaining +2 to STR and DEX and 10 speed for every 6 user levels. Whenever you would roll a die/dice for damage for a technique, you may roll an additional 2 of that die for damage. Your alignment also temporarily becomes Chaotic, regardless of what it was before. You must spend 10 ki per round to remain transformed, and revert back to base for if your ki drops below 25% or you are K.O.’d. You cannot transform if you have less than 50% ki.

Quiet Rage (45 SP, 30 ki) - Not all rampages are loud. Target one enemy and walk in a straight line towards them at half your movement speed. You may roll an unarmed strike against any enemy in your path or adjacent to it without provoking an attack of opportunity, including your initial target. You may perform this attack even if you have already performed a move action this round.

Bonus Technique Slot

Soaring Dragon Strike (50 SP, 45 ki) - Fly at your opponent to punch them in the stomach, hard. Deal twice your normal unarmed damage if you succeed in a normal unarmed attack roll. If your opponent is transformed, they must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + your level + your STR modifier) or else be reverted to their base form.

True Kamehameha (55 SP, 50 ki) - Fire a Kamehameha Wave with everything you’ve got! Deals 5d8 to one opponent if you succeed in a ranged touch attack. You can pay an additional 10 ki for every level past 5 to increase the damage by another d8 (max: 10d8). Can only be used while transformed. If this attack connects, while you are Super Saiyan 2, revert to Super Saiyan. If this attack connects while you are Super Saiyan 3, revert to base form and become fatigued. If you defeat an opponent and end the encounter with a Super Saiyan 3 True Kamehameha, you will pass out and wake up later with full health.

Bonus Technique Slot

Super Saiyan 3 (70 SP)- Use every last drop of your energy to max out your body’s potential and achieve the next level, gaining +3 to STR and DEX and 15 speed for every 6 user levels. Whenever you would roll a die/dice for damage for a technique, you may roll an additional 2 of that die for damage. Your alignment also temporarily becomes Chaotic, regardless of what it was before. You must spend 15 ki per round to remain transformed, and revert back to base for if your ki drops below 25% or you are K.O.’d. You cannot transform if you have less than 50% ki.

Super Saiyan Mastery Branch - For people who want to focus on the basic Super Saiyan form, as well as maximizing the damage they deal (regardless of the actual downsides of doing so).

Galick Gun (30 SP, 10 ki) - Blast your opponent with a quicker but weaker energy blast capable of countering opponents’ energy attacks. Deals 1d6 damage if you succeed in a ranged touch attack. For every level past 1, you may pay an additional 5 ki to increase the damage by 1d6 (max: 6d6). Additionally, if an opponent fires an energy beam at you, you may attempt a reflex save to counter with this attack (at an additional 10 ki cost) and initiate a Beam Struggle.

Bonus Technique Slot

Full-Power Super Saiyan (35 SP)- You have mastered the Super Saiyan form, completely mitigating the ki cost. You can remain transformed as a Super Saiyan without consuming any ki and your alignment no longer changes. You will still revert to base form if your ki drops below 25%.

Big Bang Attack (40 SP, 30 ki) - Fire a blast of energy that detonates on impact at an opponent, dealing 2d6 damage to them and everyone adjacent to them. You must succeed in a ranged touch attack. For every 2 levels past 2, you may pay an additional 10 ki to increase the damage by another 2d6 (max: 8d6) and increase the blast radius by 5 feet on all sides of the target (max: 20 feet on all sides).

Bonus Technique Slot

Ascended Super Saiyan (50 SP) - Concentrate your energy to increase the strength of your Super Saiyan form, gaining +2 to STR (increase this bonus by the 2 every 6 user levels). Whenever you would roll a die for damage for a technique or an unarmed strike, you may roll an additional 1 of that die as well. Your alignment also temporarily becomes Chaotic, regardless of what it was before. You must spend 5 ki per turn to remain transformed as an Ascended Super Saiyan.

Final Flash (60 SP, 50 ki) - Fire a beam of energy from both hands to completely overwhelm your opponent, dealing 6d8 damage if you succeed in a ranged touch attack. Additionally, deal 3d8 to every enemy standing adjacent to the opponent, as well as every poor shmuck standing behind all three of them. For every 2 levels past 4, you may pay an additional 10 ki to increase the damage to your target by another 2d8 and increase the splash damage by 1d8 (max: 16d8 direct, 8d8 splash). If this attack connects, you become fatigued for 1d4 rounds.

Bonus Technique Slot

Ultra Super Saiyan (65 SP) - Concentrate the power of your Super Saiyan 1 form to maximize muscle mass, gaining +4 per every 6 user levels to STR. Whenever you would roll a die for damage for a technique or an unarmed strike, you may roll an additional 2 of that die as well, but take a -10 penalty to speed and -3 DEX for the duration of the transformation. Your alignment also temporarily becomes Chaotic, regardless of what it was before.

This tree used to be like the Namekian branch was (with unscaled damage and higher costs) but I retooled most of the techniques to be more in line with the new changes made to Namekians (though I'm still unsure of how successful I was in that endeavor).