PDA

View Full Version : Ninja/monk class?

Shadowbane13
2016-01-17, 09:13 AM
So in my campaign a friend is playing a ninja and he noticed the feat "ascetic stalker" in the complete scoundrel book, where it combines monk and ninja class levels. Does this mean he gets all abilities from the monk class while a ninja? This in turn convinced our swashbuckler to take "daring outlaw" for the rogue/swashbuckler abilities. Just want to treat the feat right. Thanks guys

Yuki Akuma
2016-01-17, 09:28 AM
Nope.

Your Monk and Ninja levels stack for determining how many ki points you have, how much damage your unarmed strike does, and what sort of damage reduction your unarmed attacks overcome (from Ki Strike).

That's it. To get new Ninja abilities you need to take levels in Ninja, and to get new Monk abilities other than Ki Strike you need to take levels in Monk.

It's not really a very good feat. I guess if you don't want the Ninja capstone, 1 level of Monk is fine.

Shadowbane13
2016-01-17, 07:57 PM
How well does the daring outlaw feat work? Just takes grace dodge and sneak attack. From the other class. But everything else just comes from the current class. Correct?

Beheld
2016-01-17, 08:06 PM
How well does the daring outlaw feat work? Just takes grace dodge and sneak attack. From the other class. But everything else just comes from the current class. Correct?

It's a full BAB SA class (Aside from Rogue dip, if you don't qualify in some other way) that gets Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat. It's still probably worse than the Rogue, since it doesn't get Special abilities, skills, and better defensive class features. And while a Fort save and full BAB and some super minor class features aren't nothing, they really aren't much either. I'd prefer flat rogue if I was building a Sneak Attacker. If you are already committed to the idea of taking swashbuckler levels, no reason not to get a Martial stance for 2d6 SA and then take a feat that allows you to get SA on Swashbuckler.

Troacctid
2016-01-17, 08:11 PM
Daring Outlaw essentially gives you a rogue that ditches skills and class features in order to get full BAB. It's a marginally better version of that Fighter variant that gets sneak attack instead of bonus feats, and at best breaks even with the standard Rogue, depending on what level you're at. As far as sneak attack builds go, it's viable, but it's definitely weaker than the builds that have spells, like Assassin, Unseen Seer, Daggerspell Mage, or even just straight Spellthief.