PDA

View Full Version : chained beast

zylodrizzt
2016-01-17, 04:09 PM
I've been having some ideas about making a secondary character for one of the few games im in. Sometimes I like to switch it up or just create characters in general.

I need some help with this idea I've had for a while. The idea is of a guy that is either a slave or prisoner or possibly locked away for his and others protection that has to be in chain's always having more and more chains put on him til there's very little of his form you can actually see. He breaks free some how or other since he seems to have an affinity with the chain's possibly even a magical affinity with them almost as a chain devil. He seeks revenge on those that put him in that position.

Its not fully fleshed out yet at all. I don't have race or class or anything. The only thing I know for sure is I'd like him to have chains for armor and weapon(s). I'd prefer non magical through flavoring and such though I don't mind if it is magical. Help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Notafish
2016-01-17, 05:07 PM
Neat concept -- I don't think that chains are a standard weapon any more, so I might go with a whip, re-fluffed as a chain. Given the backstory and a wish to avoid standard armor, I'd go for barbarian as a class. If the DM goes for it, you could also try a monk with the whip/chain counting as a monk weapon - this would allow for decent damage progression and give you an unarmored defense. Dual Wielder feat could allow you to wield 2 whips/chains at the same time, and a level in Fighter would grant the dual wielding fighting style.

Either way, the lower damage output for the whip/chain could be a bit frustrating -- a polearm of some sort could be re-fluffed as a chain, I suppose. Higher damage potential, but would require 2 hands.

zylodrizzt
2016-01-18, 02:27 PM
Ok so I was looking a bit at races and I kinda feel like minotaur or shifter or goliath or half orc fit closest to the beast theme. I'm even considering Warforged as a chain golem sort of thing. Any others y'all can think of?

zylodrizzt
2016-01-18, 03:22 PM
I've thought of a few things I'd like to do with the chains which harken back to 3.x where u could use a chain to trip and do opertunity attacks and I've thought about chains binding so grappling or removing an enemies mobility and dropping them prone would be priority. I was thinking this chain master might have a sort of scorpion "get over here" effect. I also thought that a chain master might have a decent disarming ability. I was thinking a chain master might be pretty good at climbing and possibly be kinda mobile himself. What might be some key options to incorporate all this?