PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Aarakocran Swashbuckler starting at level 5

RickAllison
2016-01-17, 04:10 PM
Hi, I am looking for advice on optimizing an Aarakocran Swashbuckler. I can start with up to three uncommon magic items and I only need one ASI to get up to 20 in Dexterity. I am definitely selecting Perception as one of my Expertise slots, and I would like to include poisoning in my repertoire, so I will be taking a tool proficiency from background for that. My current ideas for the character are:

Magic items: Boots of Elvenkind (Stealth with Swashbuckler means I will be able to Sneak Attack even without darkvision), Alchemy Jug (basically unending poison and other liquids), and Bag of Holding (so he can still fly with all his loot).

Feats: Magic Initiate (Greenflame Blade, Booming Blade, Hex), Dual Wielder, Mage Slayer, Defensive Duelist, and Resilient (CON save).

Skill proficiencies: Acrobatics (Expertise), Perception (Expertise), Deception, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth.

I would like to avoid caster MC because the vast majority of our PCs are casters and ironically this character is looking to be the short-term tank due to great evasion and lucky rolls on hit dice. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-17, 04:52 PM
Just picture a Aarakocra trying to put on a pair of boots of elvenkind

RickAllison
2016-01-17, 05:14 PM
Just picture a Aarakocra trying to put on a pair of boots of elvenkind

Good point... Since he originated as a scout for their war against the gargoyles, I think it works to say they are leg armor designed for the use of Aarakocrans, and so they will not really be able to be worn by anyone else just as he can't wear the boots of anyone else.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-17, 06:10 PM
I don't want to be that guy. But my DM was saying in 5e magic items don't change to fit the wearer. But I read your post and pictured a Aarakocra wearing 80s leg warmers. Lol

RickAllison
2016-01-17, 06:25 PM
I don't want to be that guy. But my DM was saying in 5e magic items don't change to fit the wearer. But I read your post and pictured a Aarakocra wearing 80s leg warmers. Lol

Well that's why I noted that it would be leg armor created specifically for their physiology, but with the same enchantment. They don't change to fit the wearers, so he won't be able to put on any boots that are found in future loot, and no one else can really make use of his leg-warmers unless they are of a similar physiology. It could work because I received them in my background in an occupation where stealth was a priority and from a source that creates equipment specifically for this body-type. Still would have to get DM approval for the alternate design, but they are functionally identical. I just would never be able to use any Boots of Speed or any other boots we find since those were not created for the use by Aarakocra.

DracoKnight
2016-01-17, 06:36 PM
I don't want to be that guy. But my DM was saying in 5e magic items don't change to fit the wearer.

Your DM is using one of the Variant rules presented in the DMG, vanilla magic items to change to the wearer.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-17, 07:31 PM
Oh and any armor you Find that you want to wear will have to be crafted to accommodate your wings.

RickAllison
2016-01-17, 07:40 PM
Oh and any armor you Find that you want to wear will have to be crafted to accommodate your wings.

I think they already accounted for that in the rules. Regardless of strength, they cannot fly with medium or heavy armor. Thus, the only armor it poses an issue for is leather, which is not hard to modify. None of this discussion has actually been on topic, however...

Sir cryosin
2016-01-17, 07:46 PM
Why are you taking the dual wielding feat all you are getting from it is +1 to ac it doesn't say you can add your mod to the second weapon. I recommend taking lucky feat I have 3 out of 4 times I used it I have got a natural 20 on the new roll I love this feat. And you can use it on any attack rolls made against you but you want to roll low then.

RickAllison
2016-01-17, 08:40 PM
Why are you taking the dual wielding feat all you are getting from it is +1 to ac it doesn't say you can add your mod to the second weapon. I recommend taking lucky feat I have 3 out of 4 times I used it I have got a natural 20 on the new roll I love this feat. And you can use it on any attack rolls made against you but you want to roll low then.

But more AC is always good!! You are right, though, getting a 2 rapiers probably won't be worth a feat.

Sir cryosin
2016-01-17, 10:06 PM
You can always take one or two levels in fighter for the fighting style, second wind and if going in to lv2 action surge.

HoarsHalberd
2016-01-17, 10:19 PM
Stealth is worth an expertise, and Skulker probably is better for you than dual wielder, especially given your lack of Darkvision.

bid
2016-01-17, 11:09 PM
But more AC is always good!! You are right, though, getting a 2 rapiers probably won't be worth a feat.
As Sir Cryosin said, dipping fighter lets you pick twf style which is a much bigger step up than DW feat. I would still grab mariner style over twf and get to fighter 5 for extra attack.

RickAllison
2016-01-18, 12:36 AM
As Sir Cryosin said, dipping fighter lets you pick twf style which is a much bigger step up than DW feat. I would still grab mariner style over twf and get to fighter 5 for extra attack.

Mariner would work really well, and give me a good swim speed as well. Thank you, I hadn't considered that FS.

bid
2016-01-18, 12:53 AM
Mariner would work really well, and give me a good swim speed as well. Thank you, I hadn't considered that FS.
A swimming bird. Are you sure he isn't a penguin?:smallbiggrin:

JoeJ
2016-01-18, 12:55 AM
A swimming bird. Are you sure he isn't a penguin?:smallbiggrin:

Nah, he can also fly. So maybe some sort of duck?

RickAllison
2016-01-18, 01:01 AM
Nah, he can also fly. So maybe some sort of duck?

An albatross would actually be most appropriate :)