PDA

View Full Version : Damage reduction does it stack

tp9829
2016-01-17, 04:11 PM
The paladin has a tower shield with a skin over it providing 10/- vs lightning. The cleric casts protection from lighting. Granting 20/- vs lightning but magical. Does this stack too a 30/- vs lightning? Or do you take the highest?

JNAProductions
2016-01-17, 04:16 PM
Well, let me crack open my Traveller rulebook and check...

Hm. Rules don't say. Ask your DM. :P

I'm assuming this is 3.5. To get it moved to the appropriate subforum, just report your post and ask for it to be moved. This is the general roleplay forum, so not the right place to ask a system-specific question.

nyjastul69
2016-01-17, 04:41 PM
They do not stack. Only the better of the two apply.

Originally posted by the SRD
If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

Jeraa
2016-01-17, 06:52 PM
The paladin has a tower shield with a skin over it providing 10/- vs lightning. The cleric casts protection from lighting. Granting 20/- vs lightning but magical. Does this stack too a 30/- vs lightning? Or do you take the highest?

There is no such thing as damage reduction towards lightning. Damage reduction only applies to physical damage. Energy resistance is what you are talking about.

And no, energy resistance does not stack. You simply take the highest that applies.

Edit: Assuming of course you meant 3.X D&D or Pathfinder.

emulord
2016-01-18, 04:14 PM
Generally things in D&D do not stack.
Since both of these just set your energy resistance lightning to a certain number you take the better option.

The issue is bonuses often (but not always!) do.

Necroticplague
2016-01-18, 04:25 PM

1. Neither of those are Damage Reduction. DR doesn't apply against energy attacks. Ever. Those are energy resistance, not DR.
2. The damage type is called Electricity, not Lightning.
3. The Protection from Energy spell makes you immune to a certain element, not providing Energy Resistance against it (that would be Resist Energy).
4.As a general rule, if you get the same trait twice, you have two instances of it. In this case, you'd have two separate instances of Energy Resistance. You'd simply use the larger of the two.
5.Though not quite relevant to the scenario you put forth, the previous statement in part 4 also holds true for DR. Use the best of whatever is applicable.

Soranar
2016-01-18, 04:30 PM
The only DR that stacks in 3.5 is probably the warlock's cold iron damage reduction with the cold iron DR that comes from the fey heritage feats (and it specifies that it does in the feat if I remember right)

That's it

That is the only instance of DR stacking that I can think of

Nifft
2016-01-18, 04:35 PM
In 3e and 3.5e, DR x/- usually stacks.

E.g., a Barbarian wearing Adamantine Chain Shirt would have stacking DR x/-.

There are probably exceptions.

Jeraa
2016-01-18, 05:41 PM

Damage reduction (of any type) does not stack unless they specifically say so. Neither the barbarian damage reduction entry nor the description of adamantine say they stack with other types, so they don't stack.

Malimar
2016-01-18, 05:50 PM

Damage reduction (of any type) does not stack unless they specifically say so. Neither the barbarian damage reduction entry nor the description of adamantine say they stack with other types, so they don't stack.

Jeraa speaks truth.

If a creature has damage reduction from more than one source, the two forms of damage reduction do not stack. Instead, the creature gets the benefit of the best damage reduction in a given situation.

Amphetryon
2016-01-18, 06:43 PM
The only DR that stacks in 3.5 is probably the warlock's cold iron damage reduction with the cold iron DR that comes from the fey heritage feats (and it specifies that it does in the feat if I remember right)

That's it

That is the only instance of DR stacking that I can think of
I believe the Roll With It Feat also provides a DR that explicitly stacks.

Anxe
2016-01-19, 02:43 AM

Many of the DR X/- instances explicitly state that they stack and you landed on the single one that does not. :smallfrown: