PDA

View Full Version : Penetrating Strike and Craven interaction

Shnigda
2016-01-17, 04:57 PM
Hey guys, in a bit of confusion surrounding the interaction of these two feats.
I am level 9 so deal 9 extra sneak attack damage.
I have 6 levels in rogue, so I have 3 sneak attack dice (3d6)

Situation:
In a fight with an undead, I manage to flank the creature so I can deal half my sneak attack dice damage.

When calculating damage, do I deal:
a) (3d6+9)/2 i.e. half my overall sneak attack damage.
b) 1d6+9 i.e. half sneak attack dice rounded down plus craven
c) 2d6+9 i.e. half sneak attack dice rounded up plus craven
d) 1d6 i.e. half sneak attack dice rounded down without craven (as craven isn't dice)
e) 2d6 i.e. half sneak attack dice rounded up without craven (as craven isn't dice)

Any help would be much appreciated!

Beheld
2016-01-17, 05:02 PM
"Whenever you flank a creature that is immune to extra damage from sneak attacks, you still deal extra damage equal to half your normal sneak attack dice."

"when making a sneak attack, you deal an extra 1 point of damage per character level."

Penetrating Strike isn't sneak attack. So RAW, no Craven damage at all.

That's stupid, but that's what it is. Obviously you should be able to Penetrating strike a flat footed Golem, but you can't.

Shnigda
2016-01-17, 05:06 PM
That is indeed stupid... My DM has taken exception to my level 9 rogue being hidden and dealing sneak attack damage every other round, so is now making us face undead creatures with regeneration and DR10.
The wildshaping, natural spell druid with a pouncing leopard companion, however, is woefully underpowered apparently... :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Beheld
2016-01-17, 05:20 PM
That is indeed stupid... My DM has taken exception to my level 9 rogue being hidden and dealing sneak attack damage every other round, so is now making us face undead creatures with regeneration and DR10.
The wildshaping, natural spell druid with a pouncing leopard companion, however, is woefully underpowered apparently... :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Welcome to the world of sadness. It won't help you with your current game, but if anyone can correctly understand character power and you want to play a Rogue to keep up with Wizards, try this (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56375).

Shnigda
2016-01-17, 05:24 PM
That seems like it must be homebrew, right? 0.o

Beheld
2016-01-17, 05:25 PM
That seems like it must be homebrew, right? 0.o

Of course, WotC would never let a Rogue getting SA do as much damage as a Wildshaped Druid or a Cleric Archer.

For your current game, try to get a wand of Gravestrike. Swift action, allows you to SA undead. Repeat for golems/Plants as needed.

Bronk
2016-01-17, 05:29 PM
What you need is the 'Lightbringer' penetrating strike from Ravenloft.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11302702&postcount=19