PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Magic Item for a Dragon

UrsusArctos
2016-01-17, 09:47 PM
I'm currently assigning treasure for a dragon hoard, and I don't know what item to choose for one. The idea is that the dragon stole this item from another, who will show up later in the campaign and ask for it back, in exchange for an alliance. I would like the item to be usable by a dragon and also the party members, and should be of a high power to make thematic sense of the thievery.

Norgrim Malgus
2016-01-17, 10:03 PM
I'm currently assigning treasure for a dragon hoard, and I don't know what item to choose for one. The idea is that the dragon stole this item from another, who will show up later in the campaign and ask for it back, in exchange for an alliance. I would like the item to be usable by a dragon and also the party members, and should be of a high power to make thematic sense of the thievery.

Might be a good opportunity to introduce an Artifact if it makes sense to the campaign.

UrsusArctos
2016-01-17, 10:58 PM
Might be a good opportunity to introduce an Artifact if it makes sense to the campaign.

That's a bit too powerful compared to what I'm looking for, and the current plot line is that the dragon whose hoard I'm designing has a plot important artifact the PCs have been sent to obtain, so I can't put another in.

Norgrim Malgus
2016-01-17, 11:07 PM
That's a bit too powerful compared to what I'm looking for, and the current plot line is that the dragon whose hoard I'm designing has a plot important artifact the PCs have been sent to obtain, so I can't put another in.

Ah, I see. Well, in that case, plenty of options would work. Various types of Rings or Rods or a Staff would be appropriate, without some history on this campaign, especially with these Dragons, I can't really zero in on anything specific.

Tren
2016-01-18, 09:13 AM
I might add that if you make it something the PCs actually can use and really want, it'll create tension and an actual dilemma when the other dragon shows up asking for it back.

Taejang
2016-01-18, 12:45 PM
Weapon of Warning. A dragon would value it for making it impossible to surprise the dragon. You can create another item with the same effect if you don't like the dragon attuning to a weapon it can't wield.

Gem of Seeing. The dragon doesn't like invisible people hanging around.

Anything that can give wishes, like Ring of Three Wishes, Efreeti Bottle, or Luck Blade.

Scarab of Protection. Dragons are more likely to fear spells than anything else.

A Tome or Manual (like Tome of Clear Thought or Manual of Bodily Health).

Ioun Stone of Regeneration or Ring of Regeneration, which can restore a lot of hitpoints.

Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location, depending on your campaign.

If you say a dragon can use a wand, staff, or rod, there are lots of options there.