PDA

View Full Version : A parent's horror (MITP 2)

InaVegt
2007-06-14, 08:46 AM
Children are normally friendly and mostly honest,
but not this one.
Children would normally eschew violence,
but not this one.
Children normally get along with other children,
but nor this one.
As this child has been touched by Eythnull (Or any other god of slaughter as appropriate for the campaign)

Eythnull touched (Template)
Erythnull touched (ET) is a template which can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid and with no class levels or no HD and 1 level of commoner, hereafter called the base creature.

Size and type: The ET changes to an outsider with the evil, native and augmented (monstrous) humanoid subtypes, the size is decreased by one size category.

Hit Dice: The ET has 3 HD or the base creatures HD, whichever is more. If it had a level of commoner it loses this level, all of these HD are outsider HD.

Attacks & Damage: The ET has the natural attacks of the base creature, damage modified for the new size.

Special attacks
Erythnull's blast (Su)
The ET gains the ability to shoot a ray dealing 4d8 untyped damage at it's full ranged attack bonus at a target within 40'.

Special qualities
Eythnull's courage (Ex)
The ET is completely immune to fear.

Damage reduction 2+HD/good

Darkvision 60'

Madness
ET use their Charisma modifier on Will saves instead of their Wisdom modifier, and have immunity to confusion and insanity effects. An ET cannot be restored to sanity by any means short of a miracle or wish spell.

Abilities: +2 str, + 2 dex, +4 con, +4 int, -6 wis, +8 cha

Challenge rating: +2 (not sure about this

Sample Erythnull touched
Erythnull touched halfling
Size/Type: Tiny outsider (Evil, Native, Augmented humanoid)
Hit Dice: 3d8+12 (25 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-5
Attack: Erythnull's blast +6 ranged touch (4d8 untyped/20)
Full Attack: Erythnull's blast +6 ranged touch (4d8 untyped/20)
Space/Reach: 2.5 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Erythnul's blast, halfling traits
Special Qualities: Erythnul's courage, Madness, darkvision 60 ft., halfling traits, DR 5/good
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +6
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 3, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +5, Hide +10, Listen +1, Move Silently +8
Feats: Toughness, Weapon focus (ray)
Environment: Warm plains
Organization: solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: none
Level Adjustment: —

Maroon
2007-06-14, 08:59 AM
:roach: "Show me on the doll where he touched you."

Sorry. But it's nice. Not sure how players might react, though (wait, never mind. Players).

Maerok
2007-06-14, 09:01 AM
As if the CE adventurer needed any other reason...

MitP Vote: Yes

aaron_the_cow
2007-06-14, 09:17 AM
very cool
MitP: YES

YuanTi
2007-06-14, 09:50 AM
Nice, lots of fun.

MitP: Yes

Poppatomus
2007-06-14, 10:12 AM
The more evil children the better MitP vote: yes

Though it's not limited to children right? just anything without more than one level of commoner?

InaVegt
2007-06-14, 10:15 AM
The more evil children the better MitP vote: yes

Though it's not limited to children right? just anything without more than one level of commoner?

Well, there are no official stats for children, and some humanoids can't exist without class levels, so we use the most basic form of the creature as we can get.

Jibar
2007-06-14, 10:32 AM
Children are normally friendly and mostly honest,
Children would normally eschew violence,
Children normally get along with other children,

:confused:

'the Hell kinda children you know who do all that?

Poppatomus
2007-06-14, 10:35 AM
Well, there are no official stats for children, and some humanoids can't exist without class levels, so we use the most basic form of the creature as we can get.

Right, but age is a part of a creatures description. In my attempt at a similar concept (see kinderhorror below) I restricted it to creatures that had not yet reached adulthood. If you want you could add the same restriction, or you oucld just keep the level restriction.

Matthew
2007-06-16, 05:16 PM
What kind of creatures are you thinking of that cannot exist without Class Levels? I thought that you just used the Humanoid Sub Type when dealing with Unclassed Humans and such?

Anywho, I like the idea. What's with the huge Wisdom Penalty, though? It seems kind of unnecessarily harsh. Is there some fluff reason?

InaVegt
2007-06-16, 05:23 PM
What kind of creatures are you thinking of that cannot exist without Class Levels? I thought that you just used the Humanoid Sub Type when dealing with Unclassed Humans and such?
The player races are never listed without class levels, same for some other humanoids (goblins, kobolds, prolly more) and have a warrior level in their MM description to make up for their apparent lack of hit dice.

Anywho, I like the idea. What's with the huge Wisdom Penalty, though? It seems kind of unnecessarily harsh. Is there some fluff reason?

Apparently D&D has the general idea madness (which this template gives you) should give you +6 cha and -6 wis (look at the derro, it's mentioned there in the section about it's madness), I just went with what was described in core.

Matthew
2007-06-16, 05:46 PM
That's true, but those are just examples. There's nothing stopping you having Classless NPC Dwarves, as far as I am aware.

Ah, right. Gotcha. Madness. Fair enough.

InaVegt
2007-06-16, 05:52 PM
That's true, but those are just examples. There's nothing stopping you having Classless NPC Dwarves, as far as I am aware.

You'd need to give them some sort of hit die, at the least. And then you're starting to homebrew instead of using the rules, and I think a homebrew template shouldn't force people to use homebrew base creatures.

Gralamin
2007-06-16, 05:56 PM
You'd need to give them some sort of hit die, at the least. And then you're starting to homebrew instead of using the rules, and I think a homebrew template shouldn't force people to use homebrew base creatures.

Not so. Humanoids have these features:

Features

A humanoid has the following features (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* 8-sided Hit Dice, or by character class.
* Base attack bonus equal to ¾ total Hit Dice (as cleric).
* Good Reflex saves (usually; a humanoid’s good save varies).
* Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, or by character class.

Traits

A humanoid possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

* Proficient with all simple weapons, or by character class.
* Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, or by character class. If a humanoid does not have a class and wears armor, it is proficient with that type of armor and all lighter types. Humanoids not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Humanoids are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
* Humanoids breathe, eat, and sleep.

So a Humanoid would have a d8 hit dice, BAB as a cleric, one good save, 2+int mod skill points. They would be proficient with simple weapons, proficient with any armor its wearing, and they have to breathe, eat and sleep.

Poppatomus
2007-06-16, 05:57 PM
In this case I have to renew my question from earlier. Is this meant also to be limited to creatures that have not yet reached a certain age points, or could a 1 HD commoner that was middle aged become touched?

Matthew
2007-06-16, 06:13 PM
Not so. Humanoids have these features:

So a Humanoid would have a d8 hit dice, BAB as a cleric, one good save, 2+int mod skill points. They would be proficient with simple weapons, proficient with any armor its wearing, and they have to breathe, eat and sleep.
Exactly. No Homebrewing required.

InaVegt
2007-06-17, 02:40 AM
Exactly. No Homebrewing required.

Except that they are never listed with a hit die, adding hit dice to a character which doesn't have them on it's own also requires you to give it a new CR as it's CR is based on it having an NPC class, not an humanoid hit die.

@poppy: only children.

Matthew
2007-06-17, 05:03 AM
Well, it's hardly a struggle to work it out, Gezina. They don't supply CR for an NPC Classed Human Commoner either. It's going to be less than 1 and more than a 1/4.

Human (Humanoid) MS 30, AB 0(0), AC 10, HP 4,
Attributes: Strength 11, Dexterity 11, Constitution 11, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 10, Charisma 10,
Feats: [Feat 1], [Feat 2],
Skills: [4 x (2 + 1)] = 12
Equipment:

[Edit] By the by, what happened to your CharacterOp thing in the Roleplaying Forum?